Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Worthington In Search Of Winning Formula

From OS

Nigel Worthington says the Foxes will be bidding to pass their way out of trouble as they prepare to take on Norwich City at the Walkers Stadium this weekend.

The City caretaker boss, who was named as Rob Kelly's replacement until the end of the season on Wednesday, was well known for his attractive breed of football when he was boss at Carrow Road between 2000 and 2006.

And Worthington does not intend to ditch that style as the Foxes, who currently sit five points above the drop zone, look to stave off the threat of relegation to League One.

He said: "I want the players to take responsibility. They are capable of passing the ball. I like to pass the ball - I had a passing team at Norwich City.

"We got to the play-offs, we got promotion and we did well in the Championship playing that style. There is no reason that this group of players cannot be allowed to do the same and get wins as well."

Leicester go into the contest looking for their fist win in eight matches, and Worthington said that the Foxes will be very much concentrating on their own game as they prepare to take on the Canaries.

He added: "What we need now on Saturday is everyone standing up to be counted and giving their all in a Leicester City shirt.

"I told the players on Thursday morning that I am a manager who likes to focus on what we are going to do - not what the opposition is going to do.

"I will give them brief notes and little bits of information, but at the end of the day I am looking for the players to give everything they can to on the day to make sure that we get three points.

"Norwich is a wonderful club that I have got great respect for. But these things happen and you move on.

"I had a great time there, but I have moved on and I am now ready for the next challenge."

The Foxes go into the game waiting on the fitness of centre half Gareth McAuley (hamstring), while Danny Tiatto is suspended for the game after picking up his tenth booking of the season against Stoke City.

He added: "We will see what Gareth is like on Saturday morning. We are going to give him as much time as possible to get it right and then we will go from there.

"Danny is suspended from Saturday's game. In this situation he would give us some spirit and fight - but he's not there so somebody else will have to be ready.

"Everybody is champing at the bit to be available and be involved.

"There might be one or two who just miss out, but hopefully they will be available for next week."

Ive always thought his Norwich side did pass the ball and he always seemed to have clever players like Huckerby in his side but according to the Norwich fans he played direct football??? Maybe just sour grapes? Anyway, Im not sure we have the personnel to play lovely attacking passing football so time will tell. Lets just hope he tells some of the squad like AJ to give it to someone else to pass it.

Ive always thought his Norwich side did pass the ball and he always seemed to have clever players like Huckerby in his side but according to the Norwich fans he played direct football??? Maybe just sour grapes?

I would guess so. I do remember them being known for good football.

From OS

Nigel Worthington says the Foxes will be bidding to pass their way out of trouble as they prepare to take on Norwich City at the Walkers Stadium this weekend.

The City caretaker boss, who was named as Rob Kelly's replacement until the end of the season on Wednesday, was well known for his attractive breed of football when he was boss at Carrow Road between 2000 and 2006.

And Worthington does not intend to ditch that style as the Foxes, who currently sit five points above the drop zone, look to stave off the threat of relegation to League One.

He said: "I want the players to take responsibility. They are capable of passing the ball. I like to pass the ball - I had a passing team at Norwich City.

"We got to the play-offs, we got promotion and we did well in the Championship playing that style. There is no reason that this group of players cannot be allowed to do the same and get wins as well."

Leicester go into the contest looking for their fist win in eight matches, and Worthington said that the Foxes will be very much concentrating on their own game as they prepare to take on the Canaries.

He added: "What we need now on Saturday is everyone standing up to be counted and giving their all in a Leicester City shirt.

"I told the players on Thursday morning that I am a manager who likes to focus on what we are going to do - not what the opposition is going to do.

"I will give them brief notes and little bits of information, but at the end of the day I am looking for the players to give everything they can to on the day to make sure that we get three points.

"Norwich is a wonderful club that I have got great respect for. But these things happen and you move on.

"I had a great time there, but I have moved on and I am now ready for the next challenge."

The Foxes go into the game waiting on the fitness of centre half Gareth McAuley (hamstring), while Danny Tiatto is suspended for the game after picking up his tenth booking of the season against Stoke City.

He added: "We will see what Gareth is like on Saturday morning. We are going to give him as much time as possible to get it right and then we will go from there.

"Danny is suspended from Saturday's game. In this situation he would give us some spirit and fight - but he's not there so somebody else will have to be ready.

"There might be one or two who just miss out, but hopefully they will be available for next week."

Ahh man, were in the shit if he's going to make this team pass the ball!!!

From OS

Having read that we might see if he's a bullshitter or otherwise by the team he selects.

Old hands and old habits - or a younger team that knows no other way than to pass and move..

Do we get Hughes, Johnson and Jarrett or King, Weso and Porter. Husslers or passers?.

Same at full-back. Spoilers or support players, hoofers or passers.

Unlike Kelly I doubt Worthington's got many favourites among the city staff and that's for the better.

There's no reason he shouldn't choose our best available team but its not going to be just about passing. We have to drive forward too in numbers when possible both to sustain and support our attacks and to avoid having to soak up too much pressure.

Our speediest players, Hammond and Hume are a must - and our fastest full-backs.

But don't hold your breath. There have been expectations before and they've never materialised.

I see no point whatever in trundling along with the same tactics and team into the dungeons of Division One.

Tack should have been changed long ago.

We knew it wouldn't happen under Kelly. He chose and tried only one way - the dead end!.

Now Worthington has his chance.

It really will be interesting and I do wish now I wasn't going to the Grand National or, at least, that it wasn't scheduled for tomorrow.

Good luck to the bloke. We still might not win but some signs of a football team would be a welcome first step. I fancy we might earn a 1-1 draw. Hammond to score - or perhaps another one from Fryatt.

I would guess so. I do remember them being known for good football.

I'm quite sure they were passing the ball about when they were in the Premiership. I didn't mind watching Norwich.

Although the passing went out the window on the final day of the season. But can you blame them? When your defence got torn apart by Fulham, and you're trailing by 3 goals quite early and survival can be guaranteed by a win, you're going to throw everything (kitchen sink included) up the field towards the Fulham goal (that left their defence highly exposed and they shipped even more goals). lol

Ive always thought his Norwich side did pass the ball and he always seemed to have clever players like Huckerby in his side but according to the Norwich fans he played direct football??? Maybe just sour grapes? Anyway, Im not sure we have the personnel to play lovely attacking passing football so time will tell. Lets just hope he tells some of the squad like AJ to give it to someone else to pass it.

But Kelly was like that too.

"It's what we do that counts."

"................................

Actually that's about it! :D

Have a look at the prem table the season Norwich got relegated 2004-2005, it was their away record that cost them, one win instead of the seven draws they achieved would have saved them from the drop.

1 win = 3 points 7 draws = 7 points?

Or did you mean winning oe of them? 1 win and 6 draws? = 9 points. :dunno:

1 win = 3 points 7 draws = 7 points?

Or did you mean winning oe of them? 1 win and 6 draws? = 9 points. :dunno:

Yes... he must have meant 'swap a draw for a win' and there's the points they needed.

In fairness, he's probably right. Two extra points at the end of the season would have seen them safe (with 35 points)... one point clear of West Brom (34 points).

Interesting to note that in the 04/05 season, Norwich scored 29 goals at home (1.5 goals a game) - only Southampton and Portsmouth in the bottom half scored more goals at home. In fact, only seven teams beat Norwich for goals scored on home soil - 4 of them in the top 5. :ph34r:

Pointless numbers, I know... just throwing them out there. :smile:

I like what i am hearing from Worthingtonbut the old saying comes to mind...'easier said than done!!' I just can't picture players like Maybury who has a built in mechanism forcing him to play hoof ball, actually making nice short passes! I do think the players should be capable of this style, i mean they are pro's for god sake and it isn't the hardest thing (passing and moving). Only time will tell i guess! Can't wait to see his team selection. I can't imagine it will be too differentwith the first game! Maybe if we lose, we will see some drastic changes!

I went and saw Southampton Norwich the season they went down 3rd to last game, Norwich lost 4-3 but was a really good game and to be fair they were unlucky altho the defending on show was aweful! I personally think Worthington will get some good football being played

Every journey starts with the first step. But most travellers don't wait years before taking it. :whistle:

The more NW speaks, the more settled I feel. He's at least making all the right noises. We'll see how it goes in these 5 games but I'm starting to think his experience might be an asset.

I agree, he's talking sense but we just need to wait until saturday now when hopefully the football does the talking.

From OS

Oh ya bleeder twist the knife a bit more Nige. I hope he is true to his word, it might be alright tomorrow, no more negative tactics and all that.

I don't know how hard he's going to try to change things but passing football won't be perfected overnight so he'll need a bit of slack. After all, Kelly got more than 12 months to make his harrassing game work before he got real stick - yet it never did and it certainly never looked good.

Well it's nice to know he wants to play the passing game. It's all well sayig it, but let's hope the team can demonstrate it on the pitch tomorrow. It would be nice to see the team actually playing rather than lumping it forward from defence every time.

Archived