Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MBK

Team for Preston and other Pre

I doubt he (Dodds) would have an immediate impact and with 3 games to go, we want players who are able to do the business. Matt Fryatt fits the bill. He might not look as fit as we want him to be, but I'd have him anyday above Dodds.

Even Danny Cadamarteri would be a more suitable player in these kinda circumstances to form a 3 man attack.

Fits the bill? Three goals in a season?. Sends the bill more like.

I quite like Cadamarteri he doesn't score in 10 seasons what Dodds would get in three months.

In fact Fryatt and Cadamarteri frustrate me no end.

Because unlike some of our regular flops they have got talent.

They just never seem to be in quite right enough to show it with any consistency.

People have plugged Fryatt all season - just as Hughes was always going to get over his injuries and shine- so Fryatt was always about to burst into form.

But the wait goes on.

And with three games to go I'd sooner back someone who would seem to be properly match fit, capable of lasting most of the game and sharp enough to take a chance if it presents itself.

Pretty well what I wanted at the end of November when Dodds was hurried back from Northwich and then ignored.

He'd be a novelty in our side now that's for sure as probably the only player in our team who can still remember what it's like to win a game.

Apart from Mattock of course who's probably still suffering shell shock after experiencing defeat. I wonder how long it will take him to give his colleagues a piece of his mind if it carries on.

Cos Mattock hates losing goals never mind matches.

I hope he doesn't bloody continue with Logan!

But, I am going to my second ever away game (first was Cardiff) so I am just going to enjoy the day and the atmosphere. A good look around the football museum would be nice too :P

Honestly, that team is appalling.

Championing youth is one thing. Committing hari kari another.

As far as I can see that's exactly what we've been doing with "Creaking Experience" and the latest nonsense supposedly involving Tiatto and Johnson only adds to that impression.

As far as I can see that's exactly what we've been doing with "Creaking Experience" and the latest nonsense supposedly involving Tiatto and Johnson only adds to that impression.

Let me break down your team.

Up front, you play Newton Hume and Dodds. Dodds, you stick out on the left wing, despite hailing him as the best finisher at the club and maintaining that he needs the service to score. Hume you make the focal point of the attack, despite saying he would be best suited to a role where he drops deep. Newton on the right, how penetrative would he be?

So our front line would consist of Newton pushing down the right flank, crossing the ball to...... Hume is deep, Dodds on the left.

The midfield three may work, I don't know enough about them, but they could they cope with being outnumbered by a good Preston midfield?

Defence and keeper, I have no problem with. It would be good to see mattock playing there and seeing how he copes under the kosh (which he would surely be with no real protection in front of him). Based on Stearman's performances throughout this season, I would have concerns with him having no real protection in front of him.

I think your team is tactically poor and easy to both breakdown and defend against.

Good try but not quite what I envisage at all.

Dodds would have been in the centre with Hume.

But, he's not been recalled and Porter is out ill so the team is hypothetical now.

The new team system adjustable team I'd choose (assuming Dodds doesn't come back) is:

Henderson;

Stearman, Nils, Kisnorbo, Sheehan;

King, Wesolwoski, Hughes. Mattock;

Hume,

Hammond

Subs: Logan, Lycett, Newton, Horsfield, Fryatt.

I wouldn't risk McAuley. We'll need him for the last two games. Horsfield won't have sufficient staying power.

and we'll need Hammond's pace and strength as when we won at Wolves.

Both full-backs would have to attack and provide width but they are well capable of that.

You silly man.

You really think we should be playing players like Hammond in our current predicament.

I have no problem with the rest of the team but Hammond takes the biscuit.

He has no passion, flair, grit or skill.

He just runs around like a headless chicken.

When we need to score goals most you think hammond is the cure ?

He has no composure and 0 finishing.

Fryatt would be a better option.

Don't come with your stats, He can finish given the right chance.

And he knows how to make a good run or 2 and has a bit of skill and ball control.

Good try but not quite what I envisage at all.

Dodds would have been in the centre with Hume.

But, he's not been recalled and Porter is out ill so the team is hypothetical now.

The new team system adjustable team I'd choose (assuming Dodds doesn't come back) is:

Henderson;

Stearman, Nils, Kisnorbo, Sheehan;

King, Wesolwoski, Hughes. Mattock;

Hume,

Hammond

Subs: Logan, Lycett, Newton, Horsfield, Fryatt.

I wouldn't risk McAuley. We'll need him for the last two games. Horsfield won't have sufficient staying power.

and we'll need Hammond's pace and strength as when we won at Wolves.

Both full-backs would have to attack and provide width but they are well capable of that.

Thrac,

The hypothetical team is clearly 4-3-3 with Newton right, Dodds left and Hume in the middle, so I'm not sure I've misunderstood.

Anyway, your actual team. I wasn't overly impressed with Mattock as left winger. Much prefer to see Cadamarteri there, with Mattock at left-back. Otherwise swap King for Newton, Hammond for Fryatt (who I agree is still not fit or sharp enough) and I think we have a team. Maybe bring McAuley back if he's fit enough.

Hammond like Horsefield is useful as an impact player. I'd rather we employ Hume Fryatt and Cada (LM or RM). Cada has proven a really useful signing. He is not a silly player preferring to rot in background earning another year's wages but acted (perhaps without much loyalty) to get good fitness. And he is now back, despite the lack of faith meted out to him by Kelly, wanting to do the goods. I'm sure he won't score that much but he would in terms of performance provide grit and leadership that we need in this final run. And Hume would do well to study his mentality.

Btw LWICD I remember your making fun of my saying that Newton is a much better signing than the Horse. Still think so? If not I demand a sincere apology. :ph34r:

A half fit Fryatt is Better than a fully fit Hammond.

I dont care about stats or anything.

But he's not is he. It's an illusion.

Fryatt might look silky smooth but its labourer Hammond who puts the wind up people. He's faster and stronger - two qualities defenders detest and two qualities we need right now.

I think the team should be

Hendo

Mayburry McAuley Kisnorbo Johansson

Newton Hughes Porter

Hume

Fryatt Horsfield

We desparetly need to win so there is no harm in going attacking from the word go!

Im tired of all this negative football.

You wont get much attacking from Maybury & Nissa. :dunno:

But he's not is he. It's an illusion.

Fryatt might look silky smooth but its labourer Hammond who puts the wind up people. He's faster and stronger - two qualities defenders detest and two qualities we need right now.

before fryatt got injured i thought he was poor!

But now that he is back there is no ways hammond can replace him!

Hammond spends most of the game in a off side position!

Hendo

Kenton Kisnorbo McAuley Nissa

Newton Weso Jarratt Cadamartri (played there for Doncaster)

Hume Horsefield

Kenton's out for the season, Jarrett cant play because Preston is his parent club and Horse... well... its Horse!

PS: :welcome:

before fryatt got injured i thought he was poor!

But now that he is back there is no ways hammond can replace him!

Hammond spends most of the game in a off side position!

We'll agree to disagree. Same as the whole idea of producing attacking football with Maybury and Nils. we have three attacking full-backs available. We should use them. Maybury can attack but not in his present state of mind.

and Horsfield last 25 minutes. I've said before you cannot carry unfit players and you cannot give yourselves voluntary handicaps. We need everyone fit, strong, fast and determined.

Thrac,

The hypothetical team is clearly 4-3-3 with Newton right, Dodds left and Hume in the middle, so I'm not sure I've misunderstood.

Anyway, your actual team. I wasn't overly impressed with Mattock as left winger. Much prefer to see Cadamarteri there, with Mattock at left-back. Otherwise swap King for Newton, Hammond for Fryatt (who I agree is still not fit or sharp enough) and I think we have a team. Maybe bring McAuley back if he's fit enough.

a) I would never play Dodds anywhere near the left.

b) I've nothing against Cadamarteri and forgot about him to be honest. Whether he can do a full shift I don't know but he probably would make a better choice on the left side. The question then would be the choice of Mattock's aggression and energy at left-back or Sheehan's ability to flight the ball and his dangerous free-kicks. I really wouldn't mind which it was.

c) King is a better defender than Newton, is comfortable wide right anyway and generally presents a greater goals threat because he's capable of more types of shots, including headers which we're virtually devoid of. He can also pitch in with defensive headers from set-pieces etc.

d) Hammond in a torrid away match is a better bet than an unfit Fryatt - and he's the only player we have apart from the unfit Horsfield who can run off the back of defenders and hold the ball up/chase lost causes.

e) No way would I bring McAuley back. He's slow when he is fit let alone when he's not. We should have learned that lesson by now. we don't want him injured again and we don't want anyone with misfiring cylinders.

b) I've nothing against Cadamarteri and forgot about him to be honest. Whether he can do a full shift I don't know but he probably would make a better choice on the left side. The question then would be the choice of Mattock's aggression and energy at left-back or Sheehan's ability to flight the ball and his dangerous free-kicks. I really wouldn't mind which it was.

c) King is a better defender than Newton, is comfortable wide right anyway and generally presents a greater goals threat because he's capable of more types of shots, including headers which we're virtually devoid of. He can also pitch in with defensive headers from set-pieces etc.

d) Hammond in a torrid away match is a better bet than an unfit Fryatt - and he's the only player we have apart from the unfit Horsfield who can run off the back of defenders and hold the ball up/chase lost causes.

e) No way would I bring McAuley back. He's slow when he is fit let alone when he's not. We should have learned that lesson by now. we don't want him injured again and we don't want anyone with misfiring cylinders.

One small thing, even with a good kick, our 'big lads' seem to be shocking infront of goal at the mo', Stearman and Nisse both wasting oportunities in the last game!!

One small thing, even with a good kick, our 'big lads' seem to be shocking infront of goal at the mo', Stearman and Nisse both wasting oportunities in the last game!!

Be fair Phube. Defender Stearman put in a good, solid header which was directed downwards towards goal and only a brilliant last ditch clearance prevented him scoring. I was as disappoitned as you but he didn't miss by blazing it over or wide, he did everything right really and all credit to the defender.

1) Your tactics from page 2 clearly show a 4-3-3 with Dodds on the left of the three forwards, but as you say, it matters not because the team is impossible, with injuries, etc.

2) Newton was our best player on Tuesday night, I don't think you can drop him after that.

3) Hammond is frustrating because he does cause opposition defender problems with his pace. Equally, he causes us similar problems with his lack of general ability and awareness.

Archived