Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MBK

Team for Preston and other Pre

1) Your tactics from page 2 clearly show a 4-3-3 with Dodds on the left of the three forwards, but as you say, it matters not because the team is impossible, with injuries, etc.

2) Newton was our best player on Tuesday night, I don't think you can drop him after that.

3) Hammond is frustrating because he does cause opposition defender problems with his pace. Equally, he causes us similar problems with his lack of general ability and awareness.

I wouldn't quite view it as "dropping" Newton just a matter of tactical choice on the day.

We're away to a confident team which has a stong midfield and I think that while both he and King are good enough going forward King has more to offer defensively.

It's the same up front really. Newton could play on the right of a front three but he's niot a big scorer and high crosses to small footballers perhaps isn't our best option.

King is more inclined to play one-two's on the approach to the box and to get an extraordinary number of shots in for a midfielder.

That's my thinking but I don't envy the manager his decision making cos it's not easy. We should have learned far more about our players by this stage of the season.

Btw LWICD I remember your making fun of my saying that Newton is a much better signing than the Horse. Still think so? If not I demand a sincere apology. :ph34r:

:mellow:

I reckon you've got the wrong person. I don't recall making such a comparison.

In fact, I don't even recall expressing any kind of opinion about Newton, because I knew so little about him.

Still, if I did do that I'd apologize because Newton's easily the better player. :ph34r:

Under Kelly I think we’d have gone there with little or no intention of winning, now I think we can go there with an aggressive attitude and press on… I don’t know if Wortho will want to deviate from 4-4-2, but IMHO he should… I’ll suggest the 4-3-3 I put on the Logan thread…

Hendo

Stearman Kisnorbo McAuley Mattock

Newton Weso Porter

Hume

Cadamarti Fryatt

Subs:

Logan, Nissa, King, Hughes, Horse.

…while it’s a 4-3-3 formation it remain very flexible, Hume can be given plenty of freedom as can Cadamarti, both can fall back into midfield if needs be with Fryatt up front and at the same time both can flow back up field to lead the attack. Weso’s role will be critical and we can only hope that Newton can replicate his second half performance from last night while Porter can rediscover some of his form from earlier on in the season.

Again (like Brum) it’s a game we shouldn’t expect to get something out of, but I honestly believe that if we go at them aggressively, take on board what the players must have gained from the last two games that we can get something and ease the pressure going into Barnsley!

This is the team I've wanted to see for a long time now. Hume would be much more effective in that postion I believe. Cadamarteri showed a lot of commitment on Tuesday and I think he can get us a couple of goals. Midfield if the best we can hope for really althought it is a little lightweight.

Doubt we'll get it. But we can live in hope.

Be fair Phube. Defender Stearman put in a good, solid header which was directed downwards towards goal and only a brilliant last ditch clearance prevented him scoring. I was as disappoitned as you but he didn't miss by blazing it over or wide, he did everything right really and all credit to the defender.

It was garbage he should of scored.

BTW on Preston, how good are they? Apart from the obvious fact that they are in the play-offs, without Nugent, how good are there players??? Ive had a look at the squad and theer isnt that much to worry about "on paper". http://home.skysports.com/squadlist.aspx?c...107&cpid=10

Simon Whaley is a skilful quick midfielder and Nugent is obviously different class but if we keep him happy, we may well just get something out of this game after all?!

BTW on Preston, how good are they? Apart from the obvious fact that they are in the play-offs, without Nugent, how good are there players??? Ive had a look at the squad and theer isnt that much to worry about "on paper". http://home.skysports.com/squadlist.aspx?c...107&cpid=10

Simon Whaley is a skilful quick midfielder and Nugent is obviously different class but if we keep him happy, we may well just get something out of this game after all?!

McKenna is out to I think. :dunno:

:mellow:

I reckon you've got the wrong person. I don't recall making such a comparison.

In fact, I don't even recall expressing any kind of opinion about Newton, because I knew so little about him.

Still, if I did do that I'd apologize because Newton's easily the better player. :ph34r:

Nope you had mentioned something to do with transfer fees etc...

True. After seeing the replay on SSN it was an absolute sitter.

But when you're homing in on a strike at goal you don't get a replay and a second chance to place the ball precisely where it's most likely to go in. He would have had a split second to ensure he headed the ball down and on target.

Centre-forwards are the instinctive marksmen of a team, not the full-backs and if Fryatt got his head on a few and added almost anything to his pathetic tally of goals for the season then we wouldn't be in this mess.

At least Stearman forced a goalline clearance. I can't remember Fryatt doing much at all by way of shots and even Hume's few efforts weren't likely to trouble a toddler.

But when you're homing in on a strike at goal you don't get a replay and a second chance to place the ball precisely where it's most likely to go in. He would have had a split second to ensure he headed the ball down and on target.

Centre-forwards are the instinctive marksmen of a team, not the full-backs and if Fryatt got his head on a few and added almost anything to his pathetic tally of goals for the season then we wouldn't be in this mess.

At least Stearman forced a goalline clearance. I can't remember Fryatt doing much at all by way of shots and even Hume's few efforts weren't likely to trouble a toddler.

I understand what you're saying and fair point. But it was a crucail chance on the game and looking in the replay it looked like he should have scored. But, hinesight (sp) is a wonderful thing.

Get this from skysportsnews.com/football:

Leeds United's hopes of avoiding the Championship trapdoor have been dealt a major blow after Bolton recalled Lubomir Michalik. :clap:

The Slovakian international, who has been a regular under Dennis Wise ( :@ ) at Leeds, has just started his second month on loan with The Whites.

However, Wise ( :@ ) will now be without the strong defender for their crucial Championship run-in, starting with Saturday's vital trip to Southampton.

Sam Allardyce's Bolton have an injury crisis of their own and have opted to recall Michalik for their clash against Reading due to injuries to Tal Ben Haim and Abdoulaye Faye.

A glimmer of hope, perhaps?

You really hate Fryatt don't you? Quite what the f**k Stearman not making the most of a fantastic chance has got to do with Fryatt, I have no idea.

Unless everything can be in some way traced back to Andy King not being in the team and Elvis Hammond having more impact than Fryatt this season.

Hmm...

You really hate Fryatt don't you? Quite what the f**k Stearman not making the most of a fantastic chance has got to do with Fryatt, I have no idea.

Unless everything can be in some way traced back to Andy King not being in the team and Elvis Hammond having more impact than Fryatt this season.

Hmm...

I don't hate Fryatt at all. But I don't understand this blind faith in a guy who was not fit at the start of the season, has hardly been better than half fit match wise since, who has made a pathetic contribution to the season as a centre-forward and is still, somehow, preferred to people who are in much better condition to do thier job.

When Fryatt is fully fit to last 90 minutes, fully match sharp and full of confidence once more then I'll probably be shouting as loudly as anyone to have him in the team.

And Fryatt got mentioned because have you perhaps not thought that people like Stearman are tensing up on chances as the importance of each one grows. and if Fryatt had done his job this season they'd be much more relaxed and chances would quite posibly be going in from all angles.

Centre-forwards to me are not about love and hate anyway. They are about statistics. I wouldn't want any striker who couldn't get my 15 goals a season minimum...not even if he was my son or brother.

PNE v Leicester City

0,,10362~3179211,00.jpg

After last Saturday's thumping away win North End return to home comforts on Saturday looking to start another home run, having been defeated 3-2 in their last home game against one of the side's propping up the table, Southend United.

The Lilywhites will be desperate to put things right from that day, but face a Leicester City side who need the points for very different reasons; they sit just two points above the drop zone, having lost their game in hand to Birmingham City in midweek, and they are still looking for their first point under new boss Nigel Worthington.

The former Blackpool boss took charge of the Foxes last Wednesday after Milan Mandaric decided to end the tenure of Rob Kelly at the Walkers Stadium. Worthy lost his first game to former club Norwich City and then faced promotion challengers Birmingham on Tuesday, losing 2-1.

Defeat at Deepdale will leave the Foxes with plenty to do in their last two matches, but with Hume, Fryatt and Horsfield amongst their forwards, they will certainly make it a tough test for the new found confidence of Paul Simpson's men.

The victory over Coventry put the Lilywhites back into fourth place, but defeat on Saturday could again see them slip out of the Play-Off spots if results don't go their way, so the Manager will want no slip ups similar to those seen against other clubs scrapping at the bottom in recent weeks like Leeds United, QPR and Southend.

The last two games against the East Midlands outfit at Deepdale have ended in 1-1 draws, but after last years 20 shared games, North End have been anything but the draw speciailists this year and not since a 1-1 draw with Coventry City that put the Lilywhites top of the table have they ended a game all-square; so with both sides desperate for something from the game are we due one?

0,,10362~3044278,00.jpg

Worthington's appointment at Leicester brings back a number of memories for North End fans from his time down the road, not many of them positive and likes of Adam Nowland and Brett Ormerod will know him well having played under him at Bloomfield Road. He also had Jason Jarrett in his squad at the seaside and for the third time finds him amongst his players with the midfielder on loan from the Lilywhites at Leicester, however, he will have to watch this one from the stands due to a clause in his loan agreement.

There should be a good contingent from the East Midlands on Saturday, with Milan Mandaric having put on five free coaches for Foxes fans to attend the fixture, which should make for a good atmosphere, but one where a resurgent North End side will want to come out on top.

Down at the Walkers Stadium back in Novemeber, Patrick Agyemang's early goal was enough to take the three points, but North End had to weather the storm after that goal for much of the game and threat of Hume and Fryatt put North End's backline under a lot of pressure, so the same can be expected at Deepdale on Saturday.

Tickets for the game are on general sale and can be purchased during opening hours from Deepdale or on the ticket office booking line 0870 442 1966, alternatively you can book online at www.mypne.com 24/7 until midnight on Friday and collect from, the ground on matchday, so make sure you don't miss out.

0,,10362~3179200,00.jpg

Team News

Preston North End - Manager Paul Simpson will leave it as late as possible to assess the fitness of Liam Chilvers, who went off at half-time in the win over Coventry. If he fails to make it then Kelvin Wilson is likely to retain his place at the heart of the defence. Seyfo Soley who also limped off in that game should be fit, whilst Youl Mawene came through another 45 minutes in the Reserves 2-2 draw with Bury on Wednesday night.

Definitely out is Paul McKenna, whose season could have come to a premature end after picking up a groin problem in training on Monday, a reoccurrence of the problems he has had since recovering from his hernia operation. The Manager has no other injury or suspension worries after Danny Pugh was cleared to play despite his tenth booking of the season at Coventry; the amnesty of cautions having fallen the previous Sunday.

Leicester City - Nigel Worthington will be without Danny Tiatto, who must sit out the final game of the three-match ban he received after television evidence showed him elbowing a Derby County player in their recent draw with the Rams. Fellow midfielder and North End loanee Jason Jarrett is also excluded from Worthington's plans due to a clause in his loan agreement.

Darren Kenton is out for the rest of the season with a hamstring problem, but Gareth McAuley and Levi Porter who both missed the loss to Birmingham should recover from the knocks that kept them out and return to the side for the trip to Deepdale. Geoff Horsfield will be pushing for a starting place alongside Iain Hume after coming on and impressing against his former employers in the week. Local born 16-year-old Joe Mattock will be hoping to retain his place having been given his debut by Worthington against Steve Bruce's men, but may have to give way to Porter, another product of the Foxes youth system who has impressed with his pace and trickery this season.

Referee

C Oliver - Northumberland: The match official makes his first ever visit to Deepdale, havinf refereed the Club just once before, back in December 2003, his first game at this level, when the Lilywhites defeated Gillingham 1-0 thanks to a Ricardo Fuller goal. He has also taken charge of just one Leicester City game, at the Walkers Stadium back in September, a 0-0 with Colchester, where his cards never left his pocket.

This season Mr Oliver has taken charge of 35 games and brandished 75 cautions, but has only seen the need to pull the red card out on three occasions and hopefully that will still be the case come five o'clock on Saturday afternoon.

I'm in Oxford tommorow for an engagment "shin-dig" :rolleyes: , so its the wonders of the bluetooth in order to find out whats going to happen :sweating: ... on the bright side i get to miss Barber's wise words :thumbup:

Any chance of your doing the match thread then? I'm happily superstitiously in Bert's hands.

I did it last week at about 23:30 but it got deleted, that's about the time i'll do it tonight, just hope it doesn't get deleted.

PNE v Leicester City

Referee

C Oliver - Northumberland: The match official makes his first ever visit to Deepdale, havinf refereed the Club just once before, back in December 2003, his first game at this level, when the Lilywhites defeated Gillingham 1-0 thanks to a Ricardo Fuller goal. He has also taken charge of just one Leicester City game, at the Walkers Stadium back in September, a 0-0 with Colchester, where his cards never left his pocket.

This season Mr Oliver has taken charge of 35 games and brandished 75 cautions, but has only seen the need to pull the red card out on three occasions and hopefully that will still be the case come five o'clock on Saturday afternoon.

the OS dont say who the ref is either

I'm assuming that report was from the OS :blink:

Archived