Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Leicfox

Foxy eyes on Grayson

Grayson wouldn't be the worst idea I've ever heard. He ticks a lot of boxes. I never imagined him as the attack with flair sort but apparently he's got Blackpool playing some good stuff.

I'm backing Grayson.

He's the latest thing. :thumbup:

Grayson wouldn't be the worst idea I've ever heard. He ticks a lot of boxes. I never imagined him as the attack with flair sort but apparently he's got Blackpool playing some good stuff.

At least he would have the club at heart! he has done a pretty good job at blackpool.! Don't know whether he could attract alot of high profile signings tho. but i could be wrong?

I just can't see a manager like Grayson having any kind of 'pulling power' to get bigger name players in, whereas someone like Coleman, who has been dealing with Prem players for the last few years and is well known at the higher level would be much more attractive to quality players!

I just can't see a manager like Grayson having any kind of 'pulling power' to get bigger name players in, whereas someone like Coleman, who has been dealing with Prem players for the last few years and is well known at the higher level would be much more attractive to quality players!

Why would current first choice Premiership players join Leicester and why wouldn't former Premiership players join Grayson?.

I'm not sure anyone ever "hero-worshipped" him here. He was a solid enough right-back and fairly popular. He's another in the Paul Ince boat for me. We shouldn't be taking risks this big with such a great opportunity when there are managers no less available than these two who have done good jobs for more than one club over a long period of time.

Why would current first choice Premiership players join Leicester and why wouldn't former Premiership players join Grayson?.

I'm sorry, does it say current FIRST choice Premiership players in that paragraph?!!!! You are very naive if you don't think having a bigger 'NAME' manager at the club effects the quality they can bring in.

I'm sorry, does it say current FIRST choice Premiership players in that paragraph?!!!! You are very naive if you don't think having a bigger 'NAME' manager at the club effects the quality they can bring in.

Billy Davies seems to have done alright at Derby, as did Neil Warnock and Paul Jewell when they were in the Championship. And I'm damned sure Grayson would have a stack of contacts with his experience.

Besides there won't be a shortage of players wanting a sniff of Mandaric's money especially if the signs suggest the club is likely to rise from the ashes and they've got a good chance of collecting win bonuses.

Billy Davies seems to have done alright at Derby, as did Neil Warnock and Paul Jewell when they were in the Championship. And I'm damned sure Grayson would have a stack of contacts with his experience.

Besides there won't be a shortage of players wanting a sniff of Mandaric's money especially if the signs suggest the club is likely to rise from the ashes and they've got a good chance of collecting win bonuses.

I think you are over-estimating the extent of MM's attraction too. 3 teams are being relegated with huge parachute payments, plus there are a number of other clubs like Coventry and Sheffield Wednesday that are also in talks of takeover! Leicester will by no way be unique in their new found deeper pockets!

However, a well known manager as opposed to an unknown, will without doubt have a better chance of landing the bigger signings! That's just common sense, it isn't just my opinion!

I'd much rather see Grayson at the club than Ince or Coleman, at least he has been managing a winning team. Sure, Coleman did well at Fulham, with limited money, but you'd always expect Fulham to finish in the mediocre part of the Prem table along with the Boros and Man Cities of this world, well clear of relegation. He also seems like a bit of a whinger, moaning constantly about refereeing descisions. I'd take Coleman over Ince, but for me, it's Grayson every time.

Sorry, I don't want him...

Why? He has been one of the best managers in the football league this season and has done a better job at Blackpool than Ince has at Macclesfield. I am tempted to agree that the timing may not be right, but if we are looking for someone who has not yet failed at a club (which seems to be one of the biggest arguments for Ince) than he fits that bill. I believe that he has the potential to become a really good manager and Blackpool have scored goals and played good (comparatively to the rest of the division) football this season.

I agree that he may not be able to attract 'big name' signings that people seem to be expecting but if my memory is correct our greatest successes over the last few years where with a manager who made almost no 'big name' signings and bought and got the most out of unfashionable players. In my opinion success in football is not gained through the transfer market. In fact sometimes high profile signings can have a negative impact on a club and our football club has fallen into that trap before.

Personally I would like a manager who wants to be at the club and can organise and motivate players, high profile or not, who actually want to play for us.

I'd have no issue with having Grayson here... top bloke... a grafter. Maybe not the most mind-blowingly exciting option (potentially) available but he'd do a decent-enough job, in my opinion. :yesyes:

I'm not sure anyone ever "hero-worshipped" him here. He was a solid enough right-back and fairly popular. He's another in the Paul Ince boat for me. We shouldn't be taking risks this big with such a great opportunity when there are managers no less available than these two who have done good jobs for more than one club over a long period of time.

Grayson was never hero-worshipped. He was a dogged footballer who was probably a bit better than he ever looked.

But managerially I can't recall any realistic candidate being mentioned who represents any less of a risk than Grayson.

Strikes me he's ready for a step up the managerial ladder.

If there were, indeed, an outstanding candidate, who doesn't come with question marks, then Grayson might not have such a strong case but I really do have doubts about all the supposed leading names and I do like the sound of Grayson's football.

But maybe MM should write down exactly what he wants from his manager and then tick the boxes to see if any of the available candidates comes anywhere near fitting the blueprint.

We don't want someone who's lacks vision and will too easily be stiffled by fear and dogma.

Somehow, somewhere we need to find someone special. Someone you can understand and believe in.

Grayson was never hero-worshipped. He was a dogged footballer who was probably a bit better than he ever looked.

Somehow, somewhere we need to find someone special. Someone you can understand and believe in.

I agree that he was never worshipped here but it was a loyal player who tried hard and was part of one of our most successful teams. Its not uncommon for the better managers to be footballers who were hard workers as players rather than naturally gifted. I'm sure a long debate could be had on that argument but my point is that I certainly don't think that can be counted against a managerial candidate.

Why we have to only accept ex-players who were worshipped on the pitch is crazy! Any manager with a link to us in some way is always helpful because that means that they arent totally going into the unknown. Grayson was a limited but hard working player for us but that was then. Now he has become a seemingly talented manager who has guided Blackpool to 3rd in the league and above the likes of the Trees and can easily end up in the same division as us. Blackpool seem to be playing some great stuff and ended up as top scorers in the division which is a good sign of his style of footy and surely must be thought of ahead of the likes of Ince who has achieved fook all??

I have followed Blackpool loosely over the years and it's good to see them doing the best they've done for as long as I can remember. I hope Larry stays there and get's them promoted to The Championship.

Don't want him here just yet, I don't think he would want to leave Blackpool just yet either.

Don't want him here just yet, I don't think he would want to leave Blackpool just yet either.

I'd agree with that. Not sure if the timing would be right but I would still prefer him over some of the popular candidates being touted on these boards.

I think you are over-estimating the extent of MM's attraction too. 3 teams are being relegated with huge parachute payments, plus there are a number of other clubs like Coventry and Sheffield Wednesday that are also in talks of takeover! Leicester will by no way be unique in their new found deeper pockets!

However, a well known manager as opposed to an unknown, will without doubt have a better chance of landing the bigger signings! That's just common sense, it isn't just my opinion!

I've already mentioned that Leicester won't be especially weathy compared with other clubs but what we can offer will have some clout without any doubt.

I'm with Mancunian on this. Sometimes top names can squander money without getting good value and I'm quite sure people like Grayson and Davies will be able to compete for the right kind of players.

And failed or ageing Premiership players don't necessarily make good Championship players either and would rarely fit my criteria for a healthy and progressive football team.

I've already mentioned that Leicester won't be especially weathy compared with other clubs but what we can offer will have some clout without any doubt.

I'm with Mancunian on this. Sometimes top names can squander money without getting good value and I'm quite sure people like Grayson and Davies will be able to compete for the right kind of players.

And failed or ageing Premiership players don't necessarily make good Championship players either and would rarely fit my criteria for a healthy and progressive football team.

My only concern with Davies is that he has got teams into the playoffs and nothing more. If we are looking at a sixth place finish (which realistically we are) then you want someone who can lead a team to victory in the playoffs. I'm convince that Davies can do that. Having said that Preston had an average budget and Derby were very poor last season and he has really turned them around. Wouldn't have a problem if he was appointed.

Grayson article @ BBC Sport.

"The fans at Blackpool have been starved of success but the club has great tradition and heritage," stated Grayson.

"We have tried to play attractive football and have had three or four sell-outs of close to 9,500 and regular crowds of more than 7,500. It was more like 4,500 to 5,000 when I took over.

I'm sure that bit interests a few people. ;)

But the whole point of parachute payments is to cushion the loss of tv revenue and big salaries. A lot of clubs factor in the parachute payments when buying to stay up. Granted there are clubs like Birmingham who spend a lot but I still don't think clubs with parachute payments will be massively flush unless they have a few big sales and/or a high earner cull. They still may be better off than us - we will never know but in terms of signing an individual player, as opposed to a squad we should hopefully be competitive (ie if we found the 'right' player we could match other sides but they may be able to offer high packages to several players as opposed to one).

As for Grayson I would take him ahead of Ince - as others have said I think his record is better, plus the style in which Blackpool play gives him a further nod ahead of Ince in my book if reports are to be believed.

As for not having the 'name' to attract players, obviously this has an effect but I want players who want to play for Leicester City not Paul Ince/Simon Grayson/CC/whoever. If I were a player and Ince were my boyhood idol I would still sign for another manager if the overall shape of the club and the incentives was better.

Grayson goes in at no 2 behind CC for me

Archived