Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DanTheFox07

Mark De Vries

Hi to all fellow supporters this is my first post on here and may i say how intresting i have found this site to get reaction and opinions from all of you. My topic for today is Mark de Vries and how i feel that most people made him a scapegoat for our problems under craig Levein, from what i can remember he was our top goalscorer at the time and he scored the winner against spurs in the cup so what did this guy do wrong? He isnt the most gifted player within our squad, but in the championship he will be an asset because this division is very physical! I think he is already starting to prove a few people that he can play a part in our team with his performances in the friendlies weve had.

Hi to all fellow supporters this is my first post on here and may i say how intresting i have found this site to get reaction and opinions from all of you. My topic for today is Mark de Vries and how i feel that most people made him a scapegoat for our problems under craig Levein, from what i can remember he was our top goalscorer at the time and he scored the winner against spurs in the cup so what did this guy do wrong? He isnt the most gifted player within our squad, but in the championship he will be an asset because this division is very physical! I think he is already starting to prove a few people that he can play a part in our team with his performances in the friendlies weve had.

He's been a below average striker for much of his time at Leicester. If he's improved it's been done since the arrival of Martin Allen because he was just as useless in Holland last season. So well done Martin :thumbup:

he is trying ..but if you had a season ticket not last season but the year before...he was just embarrasing hiself with the amount of effort he put in :blink:

Friendlies. Yeah, that is to get ready for the new season. Be fair, we are only playing average lower league teams. They aren't as competitive as other teams we got coming up. i.e - Pompey. He's got to be consistent in matches and he wasn't when he was with us. (If that makes sense) :whistle:

From what ive heard this guy has made a lot of effort and is fitter than he has been in previous season`s the other thing u also hav to take into consideration is the service that has been given to all of our strikers in the past has been more of a problem, with the service He will be a great target man and when i last went to see leicester play not this season but the one previous at st mary`s our game plan was to play long balls to humey and fryatt and there not the biggest players lol. With the option to play the ball up to De Vries he will be a good foil for any of our strikers. Its quite obvious that many of our supporters dont hold a very high opinion of him but everyone deserves a chance, even Fryatt has been questioned after last season and i personally think he will be key to us getting promoted for the coming season.

I've done alot of standing up for De Vries since he's been at the club, people have been a bit OTT with him and he's cerainly been one of our supporters favoiurate scape goat.

However he might not be as bad as some make out, but he really does'nt have that much to his game and will never be a player that will stand out in this division. He's a squad player at best. And if he is taken off the list I'm pretty sure that how Allen will see him.

Hes the only "big" man we have up front. I expect Cort to be fit for about 15 games max.

Still, with a bit of money to spend why are we sticking with players who arent good enough?

He is a big man but awful in the air!

The two places up front will be between DJ,hume and Fryatt, dont think anyone else will get a look in.

i still dont know why but i still think he could do a job?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? i've only ever seen him play against Spurs, Charlton and 2 pre-season friendlies and he has been a right handful every time... :S

i was impressed with his effort against notts county and he has lost a lot of weight but im afraid to say hes just not good enough for this level of football

He looked good enough against Spurs and appears to be a lot fitter than that now.

I don't want to make a case for him being one of our first choice strikers but it often seems to me that people get pilloried unfairly as a subtle means of pressing the claims of others rather than on the basis of their actual performance.

So far this close season MDV has one goal and two assists - and that means he's been as effective as anyone apart from Hume.

Even when he inexplicably disappeared into exile, MDV's scoring record was quite good. In fact since 2002 DeVries has scored 41 goals in 151 matches (better than one in four) and he managed a genuinelly impressive 29 for Hearts in 72 games whichly hardly suggests he's not good enough for the Championship, if fit.

He looked good enough against Spurs and appears to be a lot fitter than that now.

I don't want to make a case for him being one of our first choice striekrs but it often seems to me that people get pilloried as a subtle means of pressing the claims of others rather than on the basis of their actual performance.

So far this close season MDV has one goal and two assists - and that means he's been as effective as anyone apart from Hume.

Even when he inexplicably disappeared into exile, MDV's scoring record was quite good. In fact since 2002 DeVries has scored 41 goals in 151 matches (better than one in four) and he managed a genuinelly impressive 29 for Hearts in 72 games whichly hardly suggests he's not good enough for the Championship, if fit.

Jesus christ man! You do exactly the same with Fryatt and Hammond! :laugh:

Hes the only "big" man we have up front. I expect Cort to be fit for about 15 games max.

Still, with a bit of money to spend why are we sticking with players who arent good enough?

This would be because nobody else wants them!!

Except maybe Levein or, an off-chance, McGhee possibly :thumbup:

After the county game we need a combo up front while Df might be humes foil, he just isnt good enuf to wear the royal blue, crap first touch, and a touch lazy with the work rate, and being 6ft plus why should MA yell at him to head the f****ng ball from the touch line, DJ and Hume all season

He's been a below average striker for much of his time at Leicester. If he's improved it's been done since the arrival of Martin Allen because he was just as useless in Holland last season. So well done Martin :thumbup:

Below average with a better goals to games ratio than fryatt I believe... that's for you Manwell ;)

I've always given reasons for criticism of any player and, while I might have failed, I've tried to make sure the reasons have some basis in fact.

Yet for reasons I don't really understand, Fryatt is a bit of a favourite and you might mistakenly think I don't like him.

In fact I don't give an old farthing about him personally, one way or another. All I care about is how good a centre-forward he is and whether he justifies his place in team. If he scored 20 goals a season there wouldn't be an issue. But the truth is he doesn't and has never yuet suggested he might.

I don't give a damn about MDV either. But when I hear a guy who scored 29 goals in 72 matches being pilloried while a bloke who has never threatened to score at that rate in senior football is championed, it cheeses me off.

It seems that MDV has been made a bit of a scapegoat by some, quite simply because they'd rather have Fryatt in the team whatever.

MDV is an ugly footballer, same as Hammond, whereas Fryatt is elegant, almost sophisticated by comparison.

But there have been lots of ugly footballers who have done well at Leicester over the last 50 years. Frank Large was ugliness personified. Alan Woollett the same. But they sure did their job at the time while some of the more eyecatching talents didn't have nearly the same impact..

Everyone knows Fryatt hasn't had a good 14 months. Hammond did considerably better and MDV has had slightly more effect than Fryatt this pre-season in the only currency that counts, goals & assists..

I would like that to change. In that I'd like Fryatt to demonstrate, as a striker, that he's worth all the presently subdued adulation.

It would help give us the right sort of selection problems and if you doubt my sincerity on the issue look at the match rating I gave for Fryatt after he scored against Notts county and the rating I've given him overall thus far.

I don't think either suggest bias against him when he does well.

But I sure recognise when people are prepared to ignore the facts and even pillory others as a means of promoting someone else's cause. And to me that isn't right or justified.

Any more than it is fair to assume Nielsen is going to be a better goalkeeper than Logan or Henderson. Or to reckon Hayes is better than Porter cos he has one decent half game or that Ka'ebi will necessarily take the Championship by storm.

I've done alot of standing up for De Vries since he's been at the club, people have been a bit OTT with him and he's cerainly been one of our supporters favoiurate scape goat.

However he might not be as bad as some make out, but he really does'nt have that much to his game and will never be a player that will stand out in this division. He's a squad player at best. And if he is taken off the list I'm pretty sure that how Allen will see him.

If I had to bet on the matter I'd agree with you. But if the facts suggest otherwise - I'll be prepared to stand his corner against Fryatt, Hume, DJ or anyone else in contention for a striker role.

I've always given reasons for criticism of any player and, while I might have failed, I've tried to make sure the reasons have some basis in fact.

Yet for reasons I don't really understand, Fryatt is a bit of a favourite and you might mistakenly think I don't like him.

In fact I don't give an old farthing about him personally, one way or another. All I care about is how good a centre-forward he is and whether he justifies his place in team. If he scored 20 goals a season there wouldn't be an issue. But the truth is he doesn't and has never yuet suggested he might.

I don't give a damn about MDV either. But when I hear a guy who scored 29 goals in 72 matches being pilloried while a bloke who has never threatened to score at that rate in senior football is championed, it cheeses me off.

It seems that MDV has been made a bit of a scapegoat by some, quite simply because they'd rather have Fryatt in the team whatever.

MDV is an ugly footballer, same as Hammond, whereas Fryatt is elegant, almost sophisticated by comparison.

But there have been lots of ugly footballers who have done well at Leicester over the last 50 years. Frank Large was ugliness personified. Alan Woollett the same. But they sure did their job at the time while some of the more eyecatching talents didn't have nearly the same impact..

Everyone knows Fryatt hasn't had a good 14 months. Hammond did considerably better and MDV has had slightly more effect than Fryatt this pre-season in the only currency that counts, goals & assists..

I would like that to change. In that I'd like Fryatt to demonstrate, as a striker, that he's worth all the presently subdued adulation.

It would help give us the right sort of selection problems and if you doubt my sincerity on the issue look at the match rating I gave for Fryatt after he scored against Notts county and the rating I've given him overall thus far.

I don't think either suggest bias against him when he does well.

But I sure recognise when people are prepared to ignore the facts and even pillory others as a means of promoting someone else's cause. And to me that isn't right or justified.

Any more than it is fair to assume Nielsen is going to be a better goalkeeper than Logan or Henderson. Or to reckon Hayes is better than Porter cos he has one decent half game or that Ka'ebi will necessarily take the Championship by storm.

MDV is crap I don't need ratings or justification..I've watched him at least as much (and in most cases more) than anyone here...MA is losing his patience with him that was obvious on Saturday and he aint gonna be a first or second choice..even if he stays...lighter and fitter still don't improve natural ability!

MDV is crap I don't need ratings or justification..I've watched him at least as much (and in most cases more) than anyone here...MA is losing his patience with him that was obvious on Saturday and he aint gonna be a first or second choice..even if he stays...lighter and fitter still don't improve natural ability!

Why should a manager "lose patience" with a guy who laid on our opening goal and featured in many of our better moves.

And, how was it obvious he'd lost patience?.

Why should a manager "lose patience" with a guy who laid on our opening goal and featured in many of our better moves.

And, how was it obvious he'd lost patience?.

I'd have to agree with you there. I thought De Vries had a sound game and generally did well for himself.

I saw no reason why Allen would have supposedly been frustrated with him :dunno:

Archived