Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
mancunianfox

Criticism...

Unfortunately I couldn't get to Leicester on Saturday for the psf against pompey. One of the things that I have heard and read though is that even in that game people were groaning and chastising the players' performance as usual....especially MDV despite him playing well. For me this is the single worst thing about going to watch football and I think there are too many of our fans who are far too quick to criticise our players. Is this why there are so many players who come to Leicester, look very good when they first arrive and then lose their way? Recently Hughes, Williams, Low, Hammond, De Vries all looked when they debuted and then lost their confidence and did nothing for us.

In my opinion criticism of players should be done in the pub, at home, on the internet, at work, at school but not in the stadium. If we're not playing well how is screaming "your f**king sh*t" at a player going to help? Its not, and in all probability their likely to make a mistake next time their on the ball. Aren't we supposed to be supporting our players after all?

I think its interesting that (and no doubt this can be easily disputed) players who play for Leicester and do well very rarely go off and reproduce their form elsewhere but players who our fans boo often do. I understand that football is a passionate game but its also a game in which success is determined by confidence. I really do think that if people haven't got anything positive to say they should best leave it until after the game.

Any booing at this stage of the season and after all the positive change this club has seen is absolutely shocking.

Apparently there were boos at half time against Kilmarnock! What?

So yeah I agree. There's certainly a time and a place and at the start of one of the most exciting season's for many a year it's the last thing I want to hear.

Problem is it's almost like a disease running through some of our fans... it's certainly not the first time this sort of comment has been made.

I agree 100%. I have often grumbled about players (O'Grady, Tiatto and Williams spring to mind) but would never ever boo one of our players. For the QPR game last season I was sat in the disabled section in front of the West Stand next to the Kop - right next to the corner flag basically - and when Hughes got substituted the noise was deafening (a mix of cheers and boos). I really don't see how that helps anyone other than the opposition.

Last season our team just wasn't very good. Even our best players had massive flaws. Yet at the end of the season the fans were patting ourselves on the back as if we'd all played a part. I'll bet there were a lot of those fans at the Birmingham home game, at the Preston away game, at the Barnsley away game, who were feeling very proud of themselves but had booed Hughes that time, or countless others, or booed Johnson or whoever and generally acted like a bit of a twat regarding many of our players that season when really we needed to get behind what limited quality we had and make sure we stayed up. It depresses me a bit that it took until that game for everyone to act like a few people (who know who they are) acted all season in supporting our players across the country with the sort of noise that bandwagoners got in on at Preston.

Unfortunately I couldn't get to Leicester on Saturday for the psf against pompey. One of the things that I have heard and read though is that even in that game people were groaning and chastising the players' performance as usual....especially MDV despite him playing well. For me this is the single worst thing about going to watch football and I think there are too many of our fans who are far too quick to criticise our players. Is this why there are so many players who come to Leicester, look very good when they first arrive and then lose their way? Recently Hughes, Williams, Low, Hammond, De Vries all looked when they debuted and then lost their confidence and did nothing for us.

In my opinion criticism of players should be done in the pub, at home, on the internet, at work, at school but not in the stadium. If we're not playing well how is screaming "your f**king sh*t" at a player going to help? Its not, and in all probability their likely to make a mistake next time their on the ball. Aren't we supposed to be supporting our players after all?

I think its interesting that (and no doubt this can be easily disputed) players who play for Leicester and do well very rarely go off and reproduce their form elsewhere but players who our fans boo often do. I understand that football is a passionate game but its also a game in which success is determined by confidence. I really do think that if people haven't got anything positive to say they should best leave it until after the game.

well said, i mean thats why we are called supporters innit we are supposed t support out team/players on the day.

they are not gonna do well if they feel like the whole stadium is against em when they play.

Whilst I agree that "in stadium" criticism of our players isn't necessary, people do reserve the right to say what they want. I have never criticized a player at a game but like you, have heard plenty of people moaning, surprisingly even when our better players do something wrong in a split second! People do get frustrated with poor performances so I can see why people do have a groan at times. I don't think we are any different from any other club on that count but once again, like you, the moaning should be done in the pub or on here.

One thing though fella, Ive highlighted the bit above where you listed players who have done well and then fallen by the wayside. What I`d say to that is simply, when have any on that list ever been consistently good anywhere? If they were, we wouldn't have signed them for the pennies we did. Of course they`ll have good games and loads of average games with plenty of crap games because thats the players that they are. If they could consistently play as well as they did in their best games of their careers they would be world beaters lol. Even the worst players play well at times!! Its not our fault that they aren't playing consistently well. Im not sure if your comment was meant to come across as it has but it seems that you are suggesting that the fans took the confidence away from those players by moaning at them and thats why they have gone shite?!! Confidence does play a big factor in football but I cant excuse some of the performances of players like Hughes, Low and Elvis last season and it wasn't our fault that they havent got the ability to do it week in week out. The fact that we cant get rid of Hughes for £50k, We seemingly have had no bids for Elvis and Williams and Low were sold and have hardly been heard again is systematic of there abilities IMO.

I agree 100%. I have often grumbled about players (O'Grady, Tiatto and Williams spring to mind) but would never ever boo one of our players. For the QPR game last season I was sat in the disabled section in front of the West Stand next to the Kop - right next to the corner flag basically - and when Hughes got substituted the noise was deafening (a mix of cheers and boos). I really don't see how that helps anyone other than the opposition.

Last season our team just wasn't very good. Even our best players had massive flaws. Yet at the end of the season the fans were patting ourselves on the back as if we'd all played a part. I'll bet there were a lot of those fans at the Birmingham home game, at the Preston away game, at the Barnsley away game, who were feeling very proud of themselves but had booed Hughes that time, or countless others, or booed Johnson or whoever and generally acted like a bit of a twat regarding many of our players that season when really we needed to get behind what limited quality we had and make sure we stayed up. It depresses me a bit that it took until that game for everyone to act like a few people (who know who they are) acted all season in supporting our players across the country with the sort of noise that bandwagoners got in on at Preston.

It just irritates me so much that people seem to be expecting it to actually help. My view is that its the manager who's paid to kick the players in the backside if they need it. Games like Preston and Barnsley we were still rubbish but it didn't matter because the fans had a good time anyway. Thats what going to football should be like all the time imo.

BTW that sig is fantastic. Infinity goals :-)

Whilst I agree that "in stadium" criticism of our players isn't necessary, people do reserve the right to say what they want. I have never criticized a player at a game but like you, have heard plenty of people moaning, surprisingly even when our better players do something wrong in a split second! People do get frustrated with poor performances so I can see why people do have a groan at times. I don't think we are any different from any other club on that count but once again, like you, the moaning should be done in the pub or on here.

One thing though fella, Ive highlighted the bit above where you listed players who have done well and then fallen by the wayside. What I`d say to that is simply, when have any on that list ever been consistently good anywhere? If they were, we wouldn't have signed them for the pennies we did. Of course they`ll have good games and loads of average games with plenty of crap games because thats the players that they are. If they could consistently play as well as they did in their best games of their careers they would be world beaters lol. Even the worst players play well at times!! Its not our fault that they aren't playing consistently well. Im not sure if your comment was meant to come across as it has but it seems that you are suggesting that the fans took the confidence away from those players by moaning at them and thats why they have gone shite?!! Confidence does play a big factor in football but I cant excuse some of the performances of players like Hughes, Low and Elvis last season and it wasn't our fault that they havent got the ability to do it week in week out. The fact that we cant get rid of Hughes for £50k, We seemingly have had no bids for Elvis and Williams and Low were sold and have hardly been heard again is systematic of there abilities IMO.

Of course we can get £50,000 for Hughes and Hammond etc. But I doubt anyone is willing to pay the high wages Leicester gave them - or give them the length of contract they might want. Look how long Douglas has hung around.

Hello everybody, can I just add a little something to this discussion. I don't want to go down the cliched path of saying that fans pay footballers' hefty wages and should have the right to say what they want, principally because it's not entirely true and it's an attitude which advocates irrational prejudice.

However, I have two distinct memories which have particular relevance to this topic. Firstly I remember Mark McGhee, not our finest manager but certainly not our worst, saying that he would rather hear ANY noise than no noise at a match. He said that if Liverpool are playing badly, their fans let them know about it and he'd rather hear the same from City fans than for them to be sat silent. How much sooner might we have been rid of Kelly, Levein or Taylor had fans been more willing to voice their opinions, rather than simply leaving the stadium early, as seems to be the norm? Sometimes a manager needs to know that his selections are not acceptable and sometimes booing is the only obvious conduit for this. Under Little it took 20,000 fans unanimously booing for him to finally drop Brian Carey and Michael Trotter. On the other hand, of course, O'Neill had a somewhat more negative attitude to criticism, which I fully understood when it came after just 12 games as manager. However, since his exit the atmosphere at City games has been terrible. People feel an awkward obligation to always voice their support, which is crazy when you've paid such an extortionate amount. Passion is a two-way thing and while I personally prefer not to boo, a player down on the pitch can't discern between a fan screaming abuse and a fan screaming support. It's all noise, all atmosphere. Fans shouldn't feel like lepers if they want to criticise a player. Have you ever seen a Barcelona or a Real game? What happens there when they're losing? The fans don't clap obediently, or cheer below-parr players. That level of expectation is what makes them great and, once upon a time, may well have been what brought us so much success. What happens when you support somebody who isn't doing their job properly? They just carry on as they are, they don't pull their finger out, and for a footballer life at Leicester City must be incredibly comfortable in that regard.

My other memory is of the last time I went to a game with my father. He didn't have all that much money and when he went he did what most people want to do at a football match - ie, talk about the game. We weren't playing all that well, he was having a good moan. After about 20 minutes two people turned around and threatened to beat him up if he didn't shut up. There was a fight and he never went again, even though he'd seen over 1000 matches between 1955 and 2005. He said he'd never seen that before. When I took him out of the ground, several fans told me that they'd had similar experiences, being told to shut up or not to say anything critical. At that moment it occurred to me that these were probably among the people who once created such a good atmosphere at games.

In conclusion, Mark De Vries has played 100 games for City and probably accumulated more money from those three years than most of you will see in your working lives. He's not been a loyal servant, his attitude and his performances have frequently been poor. I want to see him given a second chance and I'll be supporting him from the off, but if you're disappointed to see him in the line-up after all the 'changes' at the club (and I'd argue that our first team isn't actually a huge improvement on that of previous years) then you should feel free to express that disappointment. And while I'd never encourage booing, if he plays badly, then I think you have the right to tell him vocally if you so desire. And I think you have the right to feel very insulted when people - especially players and managers - tell you that you should sit down and keep your nasty negative opinions to yourself.

Of course we can get £50,000 for Hughes and Hammond etc. But I doubt anyone is willing to pay the high wages Leicester gave them - or give them the length of contract they might want. Look how long Douglas has hung around.

We are one division away from arguably the best league in the world. Even if we could get £50k for Hughes (we have accepted bids for him at that) or even Elvis (I haven't heard any bids for him), it still explains to me that these players that we started last season with were never going to take the club forward as they don't possess the abilities required at this level if you want to succeed. Its almost an impossible task. Mickey Adams, Levein, that have all tried to wheel and deal to bring in Bosmans of low quality and cheap players but you need a miracle to get them near the promotional positions.

This season is different as we have spent money on players like Clem and DJ and managed to attract players to this club that other good clubs wanted like the additions of Chambers, N`Gotty, Kishishev and others. At the end of this campaign, we will have saleable assets, something that we haven't had in ages and this means that we will have good players.

The ropey penny players like Elvis, Douglas, Low, Cog etc have either been sold or are on the list and have been identified as players who were only here because we couldn't bring anyone else better in. We are now a different club and the likes of Hughes, Elvis and the rest can now go away.

I posted on the City v Pompey match thread to state that there were some 'fans' in Block K(who would normally be in L1) who were shouting to Mdv "Your not fit to wear the shirt' after one of his passes went wayward.

They also sung' Get him off' when the subs were being made.

Granted these' fans' are probably only 15/16,tanked up on chep lager and have just started masterbating but they are pathetic! :angry:

Leicester players I have abused or boo'ed over the last 5 years:

Junior Lewis

Josh Low

Levi Porter

Jason Jarrett

Nathan Blake

Dion Dublin

Gareth Williams

Elvis Hammond

John Curtis

Steve Howey

Chris O'Grady

Rab Douglas

Each and everyone of them deserved it, most for being being lazy good for nothing shysters, some like Douglas for being particulatly crap.

Yes its not very nice is it. Then again, it is a mans game and if you cant take abuse (deserved or not) then why choose this ridiculously well paid career.

Good point...next time im taking my AK-47...if the well paid buggers take abit of friendly fire,then they shouldn't be playing! :whistle::rolleyes:

Junior Lewis

Josh Low

Levi Porter

Jason Jarrett

Nathan Blake

Dion Dublin

Gareth Williams

Elvis Hammond

John Curtis

Steve Howey

Chris O'Grady

Rab Douglas

Each and everyone of them deserved it, most for being being lazy good for nothing shysters, some like Douglas for being particulatly crap.

Fair enough, ive booed plenty in my time, and will continue to...but in a friendly game???? :S

Junior Lewis

Josh Low

Levi Porter

Jason Jarrett

Nathan Blake

Dion Dublin

Gareth Williams

Elvis Hammond

John Curtis

Steve Howey

Chris O'Grady

Rab Douglas

I understand why people boo players and they are sometimes frustrating to watch but I think sometimes are supporters are way over the top. The Walkers has such a negative atmosphere. Last years team had some awful players in it but they still managed a respectable away record last season despite having the 23rd best home form in the league.

Junior Lewis

Josh Low

Levi Porter

Jason Jarrett

Nathan Blake

Dion Dublin

Gareth Williams

Elvis Hammond

John Curtis

Steve Howey

Chris O'Grady

Rab Douglas

Steve Howey <shudders> He played like he was high on Ketamin most of the time.

I've always though that the word 'boo' is pretty stupid, and baying it means you have to make your face contort into the shape of a cow.

Pretty dumb thing to be paying money to do if you ask me.

I understand why people boo players and they are sometimes frustrating to watch but I think sometimes are supporters are way over the top. The Walkers has such a negative atmosphere. Last years team had some awful players in it but they still managed a respectable away record last season despite having the 23rd best home form in the league.

So you are saying we should have just sat back and accpepted the shite that clown Rob Kelly served up then :dunno:

The players and him never got it as bad as they should have done, he is a very lucky man.

Junior Lewis

Josh Low

Levi Porter

Jason Jarrett

Nathan Blake

Dion Dublin

Gareth Williams

Elvis Hammond

John Curtis

Steve Howey

Chris O'Grady

Rab Douglas

I'd have expected this list to have been much bigger, mine runs in to the hundreds. :D

So you are saying we should have just sat back and accpepted the shite that clown Rob Kelly served up then :dunno:

The players and him never got it as bad as they should have done, he is a very lucky man.

What about Stephen Hughes? You obviously think he has quality. Did the booing help him?

I agree.

It was clear to see that the players were just not putting effort in last season, they deserved some of the receptions they got.

But as for the people chanting "you're not fit to where the shirt" in pre season, that is a little extreme.

Archived