Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Signings, signings and signings

Summer of 2003 (Adams) to keep us in the Premier - :nono:

Brooker, Coyne, Curtis, Ferdinand, Gillespie, Hignett, Howie, Nalis, Priet, Scimeca, Thatcher = 11

Summer 2004 (Adams) trying to get back in the Premier at the first attempt - :nono:

Blake, Connolly, Dublin, Keown, Makin, Pressman, Gemmill, Gudjonsson, Tiatto, Wilcox, Williams = 11

Summer 2007 (Allen) -

Neilson, N'Gotty, Cort, Sappleton, Kishishev, Hellings, Kaebi, Chambers, Hayes, Newton, Clemence, Campbell = 12

Let's hope this lot, as whole proves more successful than Adam's signings.

The thing that seems different with this years bunch is that compared to the previous years, they are a lot younger, not played at the top level, and with a big point to prove.

Most of the others had all been in the Prem before and getting to the end of their careers.

So i cant really see the comparison, and i hope the players bough in this season will make the point they are trying to prove.

Because if they do, we will have a fantastic season.

Still Adams must be admired for getting 7.5 million profit from signing such junk. Or so he had said.

If Kaebi comes good, and that means showing skills as a winger we could be in a decent bit of profit in a years' time. Assuming we don't get promoted of course.

Still Adams must be admired for getting 7.5 million profit from signing such junk. Or so he had said.

It's no wonder we collapsed in the final moments every game with that pile of bob, any prem team just had to turn up the the temp a little notch in the last 10 to shove jammy dodgers up our ring-peices

Brooker, Coyne, Curtis, Ferdinand, Gillespie, Hignett, Howie, Nalis, Priet, Scimeca, Thatcher = 11

Summer 2004 (Adams) trying to get back in the Premier at the first attempt - :nono:

Blake, Connolly, Dublin, Keown, Makin, Pressman, Gemmill, Gudjonsson, Tiatto, Wilcox, Williams = 11

Summer 2007 (Allen) -

Neilson, N'Gotty, Cort, Sappleton, Kishishev, Hellings, Kaebi, Chambers, Hayes, Newton, Clemence, Campbell = 12

On paper, that doesn't look too bad :unsure:

Ferdinand, Gillespie, Nalis, Thatcher, Connolly, Gudjonsson, Tiatto,

The Only good singings from that lot :( ahh well at least now we have more to look forward too....I hope!!

Suprised you've put Gillespie and Tiatto in that list. And wear's Schimeca? He was decent wasn't he?

Summer 2007 (Allen) -

Yeah lets hope so. The calibure of signings from back then to now is miles apart. I mean the only signings out of the Adams signings I thought were ok was Ferdinand,Connolly, Gudjonsson & Thatcher . We have a better squad now than when we were in the premiership. Was it really 2003? :blink: Seems like many moons ago however long it was. So far out of this summers signings i'm happy with Kishishev & Clemence, however i'm optimistic that list will grow as the season goes on.

I'm fairly confident this is going to be our best squad since the O'neil era.. from when Lennon & co started going elsewhere. Its nowhere near up to that standard at the moment, but we're getting there slowly but surely it'l happen :thumbup:

Pressman

Makin, N'Gotty, Keown, Thatcher

Gillespie, Kishishev, Scimeca, Wilcox

Ferdinand, Cort

Coyne, Curtis, Williams, Hignett, Connolly

That would be a pretty mean 16 when they were all at the peaks of their careers ;)

We have a better squad now than when we were in the premiership.

Fairly outrageous. Walker, Thatcher, Izzet, Ferdinand, Bent, Dickov? Remember how close we were to staying up. If we'd not conceeded two in the last minute against Middlesborough & Dickov had scored his penalty against Man City, then we'd still be there now! (maybe)

Got to be the worst set of Premiership new boy signings ever, and that's including Derby this season.

Got to be the worst set of Premiership new boy signings ever, and that's including Derby this season.

Well yeah because they've signed Earnshaw and Davis players who can play at Premiership level. And also for money. We spent nothing on that bunch of crap and it showed. Adams said on the highlights video that year; 'Players who are free transfers probably aren't good players'. and it shows. Players are free for a reason.

The thing that seems different with this years bunch is that compared to the previous years, they are a lot younger, not played at the top level, and with a big point to prove.

Most of the others had all been in the Prem before and getting to the end of their careers.

So i cant really see the comparison, and i hope the players bough in this season will make the point they are trying to prove.

Because if they do, we will have a fantastic season.

Law of averages says that a lot of signings on this occasion, must mean that they'll do well !!

Fairly outrageous. Walker, Thatcher, Izzet, Ferdinand, Bent, Dickov? Remember how close we were to staying up. If we'd not conceeded two in the last minute against Middlesborough & Dickov had scored his penalty against Man City, then we'd still be there now! (maybe)

And capitulating at Bolton 2-0 up, Bolton down to 9 players and still drawing 2-2 and getting at least a point at Wolves - the list goes on....

And capitulating at Bolton 2-0 up, Bolton down to 9 players and still drawing 2-2 and getting at least a point at Wolves - the list goes on....

Someone told me that if games were 80 minutes we would have been in Europe that year, not sure if that is completely accurate but we lost so many points conceding late goals that season.

Well yeah because they've signed Earnshaw and Davis players who can play at Premiership level. And also for money. We spent nothing on that bunch of crap and it showed. Adams said on the highlights video that year; 'Players who are free transfers probably aren't good players'. and it shows. Players are free for a reason.

Adams had bugger all to spend. We had the players, we should have stayed up that season.

Someone told me that if games were 80 minutes we would have been in Europe that year, not sure if that is completely accurate but we lost so many points conceding late goals that season.

If we had won all the games in which we were ahead in that season we would have qualified for Europe.

If we had won all the games in which we were ahead in that season we would have qualified for Europe.

The 80 minutes statement is correct in itself. We conceded something like 28 points in the last 10 minutes of games. I don't remember it exactly. I think we also had the 3rd best away record that season, can anyone back me up on that?

The 80 minutes statement is correct in itself. We conceded something like 28 points in the last 10 minutes of games. I don't remember it exactly. I think we also had the 3rd best away record that season, can anyone back me up on that?

Not sure, but I remember there being a stat along those lines.

That was one of the most depressing seasons ever. I can cope with losing regularly because we're simply rubbish, but with that lot they were ALMOST good enough, but somehow always managed to come away with nothing from games they could have won.

It was like the Pleat years all over again

Every season most clubs take risks in the transfer market on what we deem to be unknown players so the coin is in the air at the moment on players like Hellings, Nielsen and Sappleton although the latter is just a youngster. From this seasons list we have quite a few no risk signings who we all know basically what they will offer in Kish, Clem, Bruno and Chambers. The main thing is that we have added proven quality and have paid big transfer fees along the way to get what we want, something that we couldn't really do in seasons past.

I dunno about that but we scored more away goals than every other team in the league bar Manchester United.

difference was they were winning their games and we were drawing 3-3 with boro losing 4-3 to Wolves 4-4 with Spurs list goes on.

The amount of games we threw away is ridiculous. no ones even mentioned Saints, or Newcastle at home, when Darren Ambrose scored his second injury time boxing goal winner against us in as many years :cry:

I dunno about that but we scored more away goals than every other team in the league bar Manchester United.

difference was they were winning their games and we were drawing 3-3 with boro losing 4-3 to Wolves 4-4 with Spurs list goes on.

The amount of games we threw away is ridiculous. no ones even mentioned Saints, or Newcastle at home, when Darren Ambrose scored his second injury time boxing goal winner against us in as many years :cry:

That Darren Ambrose one was one of the most sickening goals I've ever witnessed. Absolutely horrible.

Archived