Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bob666

Accrington 0-1 Leicester - Post Match Reaction

We did look quite good 1st half, didn't have too many problems except from Henderson's mistake. N'gotty was quality again, the others did ok. Sheenan had a nervy start giving the ball away a bit but he did ok. Kishishev and Clemence were decent, didn't stand out though. Weso was our best player even from the right and Fryatt did well on the left, turned his man every single time and ran at the defence a lot, just needs to work on the timing of his passes and needs to get his shots away earlier, but not a left winger at all. Hume and DJ were a bit dissapointing, linked up well with the midfield but need to do more in and around the area. 2nd half they were all over us, we gave the ball away far too easily. Stearman was absolute rubbish when he came on, De Vries put himself about and made a great chance for DJ, shocking finish. Wasn't a disaster but we should't be outplayed by a League 2 team.

Just got back bloody fox travel! good night in all, shabby performance but a decent atmosphere.

The mad 15 minutes where it pissed it down and the martin allen's blue army non- stop was brilliant :D

Highlight of the night. Surely.

That and Thracians constant abuse.

I love Thracian.

Excellent session in the Greyhound (quality beer at £1.37/pint), where I met up with Thracian and Davie G. I'm sure they'll give a full report in the morning on their version of events.

We were full of anticipation after learning the team selection, but a little let down after seeing them play. Fryatt is not and never will be a left midfield player. DJ did nothing to disprove my criticism of him at the weekend.

Stearman took a real slating from the away end after he came on, but in truth he did look poor. He shouldn't really be near a first-team place at the moment.

The fact we won shouldn't be allowed to hide the serious flaws that were obvious last night, which if repeated on Saturday would certainly be exploited by Palace.

The idea of Peter Turnip being made to look a football genius two weeks running is enough to make my flesh creep.

Please Martin, don't let it happen..

Well, Martin Allen got his first win as Leicester manager, James Wesolowski collected our first goal of the season, Alan Sheehan took less than five minutes to start the move which led to our only goal, a marvellously acrobatic save by Paul Henderson prevented an Accrington equaliser and if that all sounds like an exciting game, forget it...

"We're shit and we're beating you," sang the fans and that told the real truth.

The result apart, Leicester's performance made the near constant rain which soaked all the fans at the uncovered visitors end seem like a blessing. City were wretched.

But, as almost always when Sheehan plays, we scored. And it was the young left back who started an extended move which ended with an N'Gotty shot-cum-cross hitting woodwork and rebounding to Hume who teed up Wesolowski to score.

The slickness of the move suggested City fans might be in for a treat but we soon learned the error of that happy thought.

Accrington should have equalised midway through the first half when Henderson's clearance crashed into McEvilly but with a virtually open goal the striker only directed his tame shot into Henderson's legs.

Cavanagh hit a post for Accrington soon after the break and repeated the feat from a free-kick nine minutes from time and between these lucky let-offs, Henderson pulled off a spectacular diving save from a scorching Boco volley.

Accrington deserved at least a draw.

Leicester fielded another bizarre line-up with a 4-3-3 formation that had N'Gotty at right back, Kenton at centre-half and Fryatt starting out on the left wing.

Furthermore the natural attacker Sheehan seemed under orders to act as an orthodox left-back meaning the whole point of 4-3-3 was lost because there were no high-pressing full-backs. We simply scored quickly and concentrated on keeping the lead.

As it happened Sheehan did fine defensively, the defence kept a clean sheet and we did gain an important result but Accrington wouldn't know how.

Up front it was all frustration. Fryatt once again showed just how selfish he is by dribbling when others were far better placed. He also lofted an excellent chance high over the bar from 18 yards or so.

Campbell preferred running into trouble rather than shooting quickly from distance or passing.

Substitutes DeVries and Odhiambo lifted the gloom late on and the former teed up the perfect chance for Campbell towards the end but the striker had strayed marginally offside and, besides, managed to steer his tap-in wide from 10 yards like a novice.

Individually I had Wesolowski Man of the Match for his goal and industrious efforts in midfield on a tight pitch, under dull lights and in typically grim Pennine conditions.

Sheehan had his assist and looked assured at left back, making two or three timely clearances on a rare day when defending was defined as his first duty.

Kenton survived just over an hour before being carried off with yet another injury. For close to a year now he's seemed unable to string a run of games together.

Individualist Fryatt was preferred to team-player Porter on the left side of the front three and how that was ever justified only the manager knows because Fryatt's no left sider as he showed in the first half at Cambridge and yet again last night.

Also having two individuals in the same side, Campbell and Fryatt, meant we had no passing fluidity all night and it almost cost us second half.

Fryatt's a goal poacher, full stop. If he's not good enough in that role I fail to see how he justifies a place at all, let alone ahead of Porter.

Highlight of the night. Surely.

That and Thracians constant abuse.

I love Thracian.

:D

"He's a fcking bully"

Also, expect their GK Arthur to sign tomorrow. MA felt he was a big crowd pleaser and I also spotted him getting off our team bus back at t'walkers.

Some interseting comments from you Guys that went.

Sounded like the game was shite!

Considering the rain,hope you enjoyed it though :unsure:

We won and that will do....for now!!!!! :D

Well, Martin Allen got his first win as Leicester manager, James Wesolowski collected our first goal of the season, Alan Sheehan took less than five minutes to start the move which led to our only goal, a marvellously acrobatic save by Paul Henderson prevented an Accrington equaliser and if that all sounds like an exciting game, forget it...

The result apart, Leicester's performance made the near constant rain which soaked all the fans at the uncovered visitors end seem like a blessing. City were wretched.

But, as almost always when Sheehan plays, we scored. And it was the young left back who started an extended move which ended with an N'Gotty shot-cum-cross hitting woodwork and rebounding to Hume who teed up Wesolowski to score.

The slickness of the move suggested City fans might be in for a treat but we soon learned the error of that happy thought.

Accrington should have equalised midway through the first half when Henderson's clearance crashed into McEvilly but with a virtually open goal the striker only directed his tame shot into Henderson's legs.

Cavanagh hit a post for Accrington soon after the break and repeated the feat from a free-kick nine minutes from time and between these lucky let-offs, Henderson pulled off a spectacular diving save from a scorching Boco volley.

Leicester fielded another bizarre line-up with a 4-3-3 formation that had N'Gotty at right back, Kenton at centre-half and Fryatt starting out on the left wing.

Furthermore the natural attacker Sheehan seemed under orders to act as an orthodox left-back meaning the whole point of 4-3-3 was lost because there were no high-pressing full-backs. We simply scored quickly and concentrated on keeping the lead.

As it happened Sheehan did fine defensively, the defence kept a clean sheet and we did gain an important result but Accrington wouldn't know how.

Up front it was all frustration. Fryatt once again showed just how selfish he is by dribbling when others were far better placed. He also lofted an excellent chance high over the bar from 18 yards or so.

Campbell preferred running into trouble rather than shooting quickly from distance or passing.

Substitutes DeVries and Odhiambo lifted the gloom late on and the former teed up the perfect chance for Campbell towards the end but the striker had strayed marginally offside and, besides, managed to steer his tap-in wide from 10 yards like a novice.

Individually I had Wesolowski Man of the Match for his goal and industrious efforts in midfield on a tight pitch, under dull lights and in typically grim Pennine conditions.

Sheehan had his assist and looked assured at left back, making two or three timely clearances on a rare day when defending was defined as his first duty.

Kenton survived just over an hour before being carried off with yet another injury. For close to a year now he's seemed unable to string a run of games together.

Individualist Fryatt was preferred to team-player Porter on the left side of the front three and how that was ever justified only the manager knows because Fryatt's no left sider as he showed in the first half at Cambridge and yet again last night.

Also having two individuals in the same side, Campbell and Fryatt, meant we had no passing fluidity all night and it almost cost us second half.

Fryatt's a goal poacher, full stop. If he's not good enough in that role I fail to see how he justifies a place at all, let alone ahead of Porter.

Your report would hold a lot more credibility if you weren't so biased. Shame really, because now everyone that didn't go will think that Sheehan was solid, Fryatt was hopeless, and that Porter would've made a massive difference. The others who went clearly don't have the same opinion.

Interesting reports on a 'win' against the mighty Accrington Stanley!

Who?

Exactly!

I can only presume that MA was deliberatly playing people out of position for fitness reasons, though I thought that was what pre-season was for. However, my preference is for round pegs in round holes i.e. Porter on left if he's in MA's plans and, if a 'poacher' like Fryatt needs a game, play him in his right position where he might score a confidence boosting goal. By all means alternate him with DJ or whoever needs a game in their rightful striking role. A goal for any forward surely gives them confidence whoever they're playing against and logically, its got to be somewhat easier to score against Accrington than Championship opposition. If Odihambo is a right winger (I don't know his best position or much about him sorry), then try him there if he's in this seasons plans. Every game is important and we've had a succession of managers with illogical team selections i.e. Levein playing people out of position, and the other MA who would play 2 wingers and take the recognised strikers off, or bring big strikers on and take the wingers off! I sometimes think we make an easy game complex.

Cheers!

Your report would hold a lot more credibility if you weren't so biased. Shame really, because now everyone that didn't go will think that Sheehan was solid, Fryatt was hopeless, and that Porter would've made a massive difference. The others who went clearly don't have the same opinion.

If I posted a film of what happened and presented it as fact you wouldn't believe it. You're view of Sheehan has been well established and well known for a couple of seasons.

As for the others, carry on leaving Porter on the side and Fryatt on the left wing by all means. You'll doubtless get an army of support for that one anyway. :rolleyes:

And I'm supposed to be the biased one!

Bring on the Cobblers

I'd like that as well! :D

1. We we're poor.

2. It was raining and we got wet.

3. Without henderson we would be out of the cup.

4. City fans love accrington keeper arthur.

"ARTHUR, ARTHUR, ARTHUR!!"

Disappointed not to see you last night Mr Maybury!

When it rained, the atmosphere went up a lot and was definitely the best point of the match!

Good night out overall, apart from the lackluster performance!

If I posted a film of what happened and presented it as fact you wouldn't believe it. You're view of Sheehan has been well established and well known for a couple of seasons.

As for the others, carry on leaving Porter on the side and Fryatt on the left wing by all means. You'll doubtless get an army of support for that one anyway. :rolleyes:

And I'm supposed to be the biased one!

TBF, I don't think anyone wants to see Matthew Fryatt on the left wing.

Give me a A

Give me a R

Give me a T

Give me a H

Give me a U

Give me a R

Englands number 1

My hamsters cage is bigger than this.

Quality night with the rain and standing, blue white army in the rain.

Shite game though

:worship: Levi :worship: Porter would have been bullied off the park, get over the fact he is mince. All Sheehan did was highlight the fact that we still need a left hand side, I like Alan I do but I think he has shot his bolt at a regular stint at CCC level. How far down the line do you go to award an assist ;)

I am guessing 4-3-3 didn't work because that vital cog :worship: Levi :worship: was excluded? What last night did demonstrate and you even hinted at it, was we need a big man (not necessarily one to dominate the air) someone who can cause the opposition defenders problems.

We really do need the left hand side sorted before Saturday.

Archived