Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bob666

Accrington 0-1 Leicester - Post Match Reaction

Got the result, that was the main thing.

I wouldn't worry too much about the performance because I doubt he'd play this team in the Championship-we'd be hammered!

We had good possession throughout the match and it was a good 90 minutes for Fryatt and DJ which should do them the world of good.

I'm still waiting until I've seen 4 or 5 games before passing judgement on how we're doing. Saturday was disappointing, tonight we got the win but didn't sound great. There's over 4000 minutes of football left to play I'm not going to write us off after 180.

I'm starting to fear that we could fall flat on our arse. I know its early days but the spirited performances we hoped for dont seem to be materialising. I'm hoping something clicks for the game on saturday but i wont hold my breath.

Good heavens man!!! Crystal Palace, Ipswich, Stoke and Preston all lost games they "should" have won. This isn't some computerised Football Manager game you know.

Well the scoreline and the commentry makes it sound like we were even more lackluster than we were at the weekend.

Early days as far as the season goes, at least we're through, there have been enough Championship casualties tonight to make us at least thankfull to be in the hat.

Martin needs to find himself a system that suits the squad and pick the players to play in it. He doesn't seem to have a clue at the moment, throwing three strikers on from the start and not actually considering how we're going to get the best out of them will get us nowhere. As Scott Minto pointed on SSN The same could be said for Spurs tonight, four of the Premier Leagues best strikers on the pitch and not a decent bit of attacking play between them, it's not just about throwing all this money at players over the summer you've got to get the best out of them.

Anyway, happy to be through.

Well the scoreline and the commentry makes it sound like we were even more lackluster than we were at the weekend.

Early days as far as the season goes, at least we're through, there have been enough Championship casualties tonight to make us at least thankfull to be in the hat.

Martin needs to find himself a system that suits the squad and pick the players to play in it. He doesn't seem to have a clue at the moment, throwing three strikers on from the start and not actually considering how we're going to get the best out of them will get us nowhere. As Scott Minto pointed on SSN The same could be said for Spurs tonight, four of the Premier Leagues best strikers on the pitch and not a decent bit of attacking play between them, it's not just about throwing all this money at players over the summer you've got to get the best out of them.

Yes i'd agree with that. It's the shape of the midfield that worries me most, i'd love to see two classic wide men.

sounds like n'gotty had a really good game and got forward from right back (sic)...

after a quarter of the game we had had 89% of the possession, so it seems odd to describe the performance as subdued or underwhelming, sure that evened out, but we still dominated a game that we could easily have lost... after all, this is effectively th biggest game in their history, or at least we are the biggest club ever to play at oodjamaflip stadium, they had nothing to loose... again, we could have had a few goals tonight, something that was rarely the case last season.

i'm happy.

yeh but we dint axactly play that well....the result shown that...and guess wot none of the strikers could score agen

please refrain from this kind of spelling, there are some rules here... :thumbup:

It's highly doubtful that he hadn't considered getting the best out of them, Manwell. It's just that tonight it may or may not have worked - It's difficult enough trying to make judgements watching live games with your eyes, let alone from a radio commentary. The time to start worrying is if Martin Allen keeps repeating these so-called errors. It's going to take time for the players to respond to the Martin Allen way of doing things. It'll come right all of a sudden. Let's just hope there are not too many disasters along the way.

Sounds like our defence was crap, never mind about our strikers.

Needs to be sorted before Saturdays game.

Yeh sounds like that was the case coming from the commentators on Radio Leics (although one of them was Gary Rowett and he's an abserloute rent boy) We shouldnt be allowing teams like accrington time and space on the edge of the box. Decent championship teams will punish us for that!

Good heavens man!!! Crystal Palace, Ipswich, Stoke and Preston all lost games they "should" have won. This isn't some computerised Football Manager game you know.

Yeah, add to that The Scummers from last night, and a 1-0 win isn't so bad. It's all about progress at this stage, progress to the next round.

I still think it will be 10 games before we get a sense of what the team will look like (formation wise) or play like in the long run. They are still a bunch of newbies.

As for Hasselwank: no way. Whoever stopped him coming, well done!

At least we got the 'W', christ we could be sitting here thinking the world had collapsed had we lost. I'll take the win......this team is building and buying a team is a tough way to do it.

It's going to be a rough season and for the team to gel believing or hoping it will, I can't see this happening for a while yet.

At least we got the 'W', christ we could be sitting here thinking the world had collapsed had we lost. I'll take the win......this team is building and buying a team is a tough way to do it. It's going to be a rough season and for the team to gel believing or hoping it will, I can't see this happening for a while yet.
Welcome. :welcome:
At least we got the 'W', christ we could be sitting here thinking the world had collapsed had we lost. I'll take the win......this team is building and buying a team is a tough way to do it. It's going to be a rough season and for the team to gel believing or hoping it will, I can't see this happening for a while yet.
Welcome. :welcome:

a less blinkered view of the game....

"Accrington gave a good account of themselves in the first half and that carried on into the second period with plenty of threat on goals but finding a problem to stick a ball into the net of a side who were happy to let Stanley ire themselves out.

But for all Stanley's huff and puff, Leicester looked the more classier of the sides with Matt Fryatt and DJ Campbell looking like they could do damage given a chance"

from http://accrington.rivals.net/default.asp?s...mp;stid=8454152

I live in the North West and so have just returned from the game. We were fortunate not to face extra time this evening in all honesty. The game passed too many people by and we were guilty of allowing Stanley to dictate the pace far too often. Having played the ball around at an acceptable tempo in the first half we deteriorated in the second period.

The most worrying factor for me was that Stanley looked fitter than us - and certainly hungrier. The fact we looked less fluent than them can perhaps be explained away by the fact the team are still adapting to one another - but that should have no bearing on fitness levels. DJ looks well short of the required standard.

That said, Weso was a pivotal force in the first half - given time and games in his favoured position this lad is going to be a real tour de force.

Lots for MA to ponder as he blows out his birthday candles on the journey home then.

We sounded shite, and Maybes just text me saying it was the most uninspiring performance he'd ever witnessed, but in the end, a 1-0 win away from home is never bad. Especially in the 2nd game of the season.

Lets hope we get better though!!

Heard from a couple of the OL boys, said we were pretty rank. Told them what Martin Allen had said on the OS about passing the ball well and defending ok in the first half; they responded with great but we created nowt. One a De Vries hater also mentioned we missed his presence this evening :blink:

A wins a win.

No doubt Thrac will be on here tomorrow heaping on praise for Sheehan and then comparing it to Burnley away last season.

What does worry me and its a known fact no matter how much against moaning you are is the fact Allen seems to be a typical english manager. The whole square pegs in round holes business again. We had enough of that shit last season and look where we ended up.

Sort it.

A bit of context required methinks.

It was a banana skin avoided.

It was pissing it down, the pitch was greasy and this was their opportunity to take a scalp.

In (far too few) patches we played some nice football, in the second half we sat back and seemed content to let them come onto us.

Henderson kept us in the game with some great shot stopping, some decent punching and he also had more shots on target through his long kicks than the whole of the front line.

Stearman and Sheehan were dreadful as was Kishishev. Fryatt looks like a man on the footballing equivalent of death row and Campbell is quite obviously not in sync with anyone else in a City Kit.

I'll take the win and think how mortified I would have been driving home wet and out of the cup.

Sat back took it easy and strolled in to the second round. That would be a positive way of putting it another way would be to say that ASFC had their cup final tonight and still came up short.

What it did prove was we need a left side and we need to play with a big man.

Henderson - cancelled out his average first half with some decent saves in the second.

Kenton - doing the business against a Confrence side is all well and good but couldn't do it against a team a league up.

N'Gotty - didn't even put the keys in the ignition.

McAuley - Looked at home, no suprise really.

Sheehan - I await the Thracian version.

Wesolowski - I really do like him as a player and he seems to be getting over that leg issue.

Clememce - I like him too, I'd like to see him and Wesolowski as the middle 2 from now on.

Kishishev - Hmmm, bit disappointing thus far and I can see what the loners from Woolwich were on about.

Hume - Never looked likely and must be worried he could be down to 4th in the pecking order.

Fryatt - Looked more likely than Hume.

Campbell - He is better than Elvis, of that I am sure, but needs to play off de Vries.

We're through that is all that matters but it isn't the play-off making squad many had hoped for, Saturday will be tough it always is at that shithole.

Im having a poker night at mine tonight so put the radio on to the annoyance of the Spurs fans who wanted commentary on the game on Sky which was declined lol They had to listen to the City instead and they werent amused!

Anyway, from what I heard, we were pacy and played some lovely stuff on a tricky pitch in the first half and generally we did what we had to do. Again, MA had his thinking cap on and adjusted a few things like N`Gotty at RB and Sheehan for Mattock on the left as well as playing Fryatt and DJ with Hume. Hopefully he keeps learning from what he has and the lads all start understanding what he expects and going forward, results in the league will take a turn for the better.

Nice to get a win and a clean sheet and a special well done to Hendo who apparently made a few good saves and one great one.

Archived