Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Simi

Tennis

I think Serena will win today (hope she doesn't purely because of her annoying celebration) and hopefully Nadal tomorrow. He has shown great mental strength throughout the tournament. Able to come from a set down. Able to silence the crowd with a Brit on court. Able to pull out the breaks when he needs to. Fed and Nadal are a class apart, I can't wait.

I just can't be arsed with the Williams sisters match this afternoon. "Keep it in the family" lacks a certain competitive edge.

Tomorrow is a different kettle of fish. I'm anticpating a classic.

How annoying is Venus' screams.

Anyone else watching Laura Robson now?

Did she offer a ray of hope to British tennis! I wonder if she'll be aware of the impact her Girls title win will have. I'd doubt her life will ever be the same again with all magazine front cover photo shoots, agency deals and so on.

She looked like a dream come true for the tennis authorities in this country because, bottom line, she can play a bit.

Okay she needs to work on the consistency and accuracy of her serve and cut out the some of the wasteful double faults, she needs to broaden her range of competent strokes, particularly drop shots, and to start getting forward from the baseline more.

But, she hits to win, has some terrific ground shots, looks a decent athlete and might even have some of the je ne sais quoi that makes a special champion.

No wonder the tennis authorities are determined to back her properly and so they should . But bloody hell it's been a long wait.

Hope Nadal wins tomorrow.

As an irrelevant aside, he really does have the most amazing body. :ph34r::D

I hope everyone remembers I picked Nadal in the 'Wimbledon' thread in the Competitions forum before it was canned. :angry:

Laura Robson :thumbup::clap:

Absolutely brilliant, and only 14!! Cheered for her every point, havn't willed someone on to win like that since the Henman days (and he usually lost!)

. Hope for British tennis yet, fook off Murray

It was great to see the young girl win. Just hope the media do not put pressure on her, although it is looking like it is going that way!

I did not bother watching the Williams sisters, had better things to do, i just hope Nadal can do it tomorrow, i just cant see it though, Federer is just that bit better on grass, although Nadal is not far off.

It was great to see the young girl win. Just hope the media do not put pressure on her, although it is looking like it is going that way!

I did not bother watching the Williams sisters, had better things to do, i just hope Nadal can do it tomorrow, i just cant see it though, Federer is just that bit better on grass, although Nadal is not far off.

Pressure is inevitable for aspiring professional sports people and its only when media pressure starts to mount that you know you're starting to make an impression.

Part of the learning process is learning to cope and I imagine she has good experienced people around her who will make sure that a not-to-intrusive balance is maintained.

Laura will doubtless have to cope earlier than some but the way she took control of herself to win the final set and the title suggests she's got a sound mind to go with her ability.

The trick with the media is to appreciate their value to you and the game, to meet them halfway and to provide them with quotes material on the understanding that you get some consideration and privacy. In doing that you give them something to lose if they step out of line but generally retain their support if you're sensible.

To me the biggest danger facing young starlets like Laura is potential burnout. Having to cope with so many lifestyle changes while growing up and stepping up the drive towards the heights of your sport.

So often, at some stage, there is a reaction of body and/or mind, perhaps even a rebellion. Again I trust she'll have people helping her who have the wisdom to get the balance right.

Pressure is inevitable for aspiring professional sports people and its only when media pressure starts to mount that you know you're starting to make an impression.

Part of the learning process is learning to cope and I imagine she has good experienced people around her who will make sure that a not-to-intrusive balance is maintained.

Laura will doubtless have to cope earlier than some but the way she took control of herself to win the final set and the title suggests she's got a sound mind to go with her ability.

The trick with the media is to appreciate their value to you and the game, to meet them halfway and to provide them with quotes material on the understanding that you get some consideration and privacy. In doing that you give them something to lose if they step out of line but generally retain their support if you're sensible.

To me the biggest danger facing young starlets like Laura is potential burnout. Having to cope with so many lifestyle changes while growing up and stepping up the drive towards the heights of your sport.

So often, at some stage, there is a reaction of body and/or mind, perhaps even a rebellion. Again I trust she'll have people helping her who have the wisdom to get the balance right.

So that is how you get away with it??

Good point what you make here, i just do not agree with all that pressure at her young age, this is where she needs to concentrate on her development the most, this victory has certainly set her off well, she will need to keep grounded, which i am sure, like you say, her camp will make sure everything is done in accordance to aid her future development.

I hope she carves out a very successful career, she seems so mature for tender age.

Good luck Miss Robson.

This tournament Nadal has really pissed me off!

The noise he makes when hitting the ball is bloody irritating, and he takes so long between points. And he has a permanent wedgie!

Come on Federer :scarf: !

Has anyone else noticed how much larger his left arm is compared to his right arm :giggle: ?

Really impressed with Robson!! Her match was far more entertaining than the Williams'!

I'm glad she won it, she's a promising prospect. She said she wants to join the senior tour next year, good luck to her.

I'm surprised Venus won, I thought it would've been Serena.

Come on Rafa

Got to say, this is a great game, Rafa was class to get back in that set from 1-4 down.

I have never seen Roger Federer this rattled.

Still some ups and downs to come yet i feel.

:thumbup:

Edited by Nathko Darkervic

What for showing a story of the guy has been world number one for years, and has won 5 wimbledons in a row?

Besides, they're talking about Nadal now too.

Just my opinion. The BBC always have their favourites.

Edit: Just wish the rain would stop so play can get back underway.

Edited by StroudFox