Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

Absolute *** of our time Pt.MXXVI

1 minute ago, leicsmac said:

Sexual violence is treated differently and with more stigma than other violent crimes regardless of the gender of the victim, I think that's commonly accepted knowledge whether it's on a university campus or anywhere else. The cleanup rate (or lack thereof) for such crimes compared to others with a similar jail time speak for themselves.

Yeah, there are probably better people to speak on the topic than Emma Watson, but that shouldn't detract from the message.

It does indeed come with quite a stigma and shouldn't be treated lightly which is why it's so bad of her to say, speaking to the UN of all people, that universities effectively teach that sexual violence isn't violence. Its just outright lying, particularly, as I said, when Universities are some of the softest, safest, pandering places in the world now, with all their safe spaces etc. I'd be genuinely interested to know which places she thinks teach or condone this behaviour.

24 minutes ago, MattP said:

I'm just watching it now.

If anything Liddle went easy on her, it's a combination of excrutiating self loathing or at best outright lies at the minute, as you say, I'd love to know which universities are teaching that sexual violence is acceptable.

You've missed the point here - its the manner and tone of the reporting. For Christ's sake he calls her Hermione Granger for a start - which says she's not a person in her own right, she's a little girl and can only know about the characters and activities in a fantasy world she acted in - and those generic conventions are installed in his craftless crap writing without even commenting on what she actually said - just his own executive summary to help frame the key discriminatory points he thinks Sun Readers should understand. And don't get me started on the image of her they've used!

1 minute ago, Swan Lesta said:

You've missed the point here - its the manner and tone of the reporting. For Christ's sake he calls her Hermione Granger for a start - which says she's not a person in her own right, she's a little girl and can only know about the characters and activities in a fantasy world she acted in - and those generic conventions are installed in his craftless crap writing without even commenting on what she actually said - just his own executive summary to help frame the key discriminatory points he thinks Sun Readers should understand. And don't get me started on the image of her they've used!

It's Rod Liddle, that's what he does whether the article is in the Sun, Spectator or Sunday Times.

5 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Getting upset because someone's took the piss out of someone whose only qualification for lecturing the rest of us was acting in a successful film franchise as a child? What a load of bollox.

Emma Watsons various qualifications and knowledge on the topic for her to speak about it aside, as was mentioned above the "getting upset" isn't just because of him taking the piss, it's because such piss taking is also symbolic of a larger belittling attitude towards the whole matter she was talking about that has existed for a long time and, quite frankly, needs to fvcking stop.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Getting upset because someone's took the piss out of someone whose only qualification for lecturing the rest of us was acting in a successful film franchise as a child? What a load of bollox.

Don't think that's the point Webbo.

59 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Emma Watsons various qualifications and knowledge on the topic for her to speak about it aside, as was mentioned above the "getting upset" isn't just because of him taking the piss, it's because such piss taking is also symbolic of a larger belittling attitude towards the whole matter she was talking about that has existed for a long time and, quite frankly, needs to fvcking stop.

And I'm sure her talking to the UN about it will make all the difference.

Watch Have I got news for you tomorrow night and see politicians trying to do good having the piss ripped out of them. Just because you're talking about women's issues doesn't make you immune to criticism.

By the way, it wasn't the subject that was criticised but the presumption that she had something to say on the subject that was worth hearing just because she is mildly famous.

16 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Watch Have I got news for you tomorrow night and see politicians trying to do good having the piss ripped out of them. Just because you're talking about women's issues doesn't make you immune to criticism.

If his criticism was in any way accurate or well directed in the way that most (but not all) of HIGNFY is, that point might be valid. Though I know that some on here might consider that it IS in fact accurate and well directed, so fair enough.

I don't think just throwing shade on people trying to raise awareness about a problem has ever helped solve it though, but I'm guessing he considers it unimportant and one that doesn't need to be tackled.

Edited by leicsmac

15 hours ago, leicsmac said:

If his criticism was in any way accurate or well directed in the way that most (but not all) of HIGNFY is, that point might be valid. Though I know that some on here might consider that it IS in fact accurate and well directed, so fair enough.

I don't think just throwing shade on people trying to raise awareness about a problem has ever helped solve it though, but I'm guessing he considers it unimportant and one that doesn't need to be tackled.

But she wasn't raising awareness at all. She was spouting rubbish to the bloody UN. If she had some good points and genuinely helped raise awareness of failings in the system etc, then that's brilliant, because sexual violence is abhorrent and no one here is arguing that. There's no sexist undertone here or anything like that either. As Webbo said, just because she's fairly famous, she shouldn't be immune to criticism or being pulled up for what she said. As I've previously said. I'd be all ears if she or anyone can point out which universities have been condoning and encouraging the mindset that sexual violence isn't violence at all and teaching that women have no place in leadership roles. Especially at a time when courses such as gender studies and women's studies are on the rise.

Edited by Darkon84

23 minutes ago, Darkon84 said:

But she wasn't raising awareness at all. She was spouting rubbish to the bloody UN. If she had some good points and genuinely helped raise awareness of failings in the system etc, then that's brilliant, because sexual violence is abhorrent and no one here is arguing that. There's no sexist undertone here or anything like that either. As Webbo said, just because she's fairly famous, she shouldn't be immune to criticism or being pulled up for what she said. As I've previously said. I'd be all ears if she or anyone can point out which universities have been condoning and encouraging the mindset that sexual violence isn't violence at all and teaching that women have no place in leadership roles. Especially at a time when courses such as gender studies and women's studies are on the rise.

I beg to differ. If it had been any other woman talking about the issue then I thin Liddle would probably have said the same or similar. I don't think what she said was just platitudes either, as you do. But I guess we're just going to have to disagree on that.

I have no problem with her being criticised for speaking out, but the way Liddle did it strongly implies she, and the issues she wants to raise, aren't worth talking about and are unimportant.

7 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

I beg to differ. If it had been any other woman talking about the issue then I thin Liddle would probably have said the same or similar. I don't think what she said was just platitudes either, as you do. But I guess we're just going to have to disagree on that.

I have no problem with her being criticised for speaking out, but the way Liddle did it strongly implies she, and the issues she wants to raise, aren't worth talking about and are unimportant.

I guess we won't agree, but that's fine, as Bob Hoskins used to say, it's good to talk lol 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Webbo said:

Spot on.

Not that I want to delve into debate about the actual issue at hand but I mean come on, stop getting upset, people like to make jokes and take the piss. 

Getting offended by it and upset not only does nothing to solve the actual issue at hand but it actually detracts you from solving it by taking you on a pointless tangent.

Everyone just wants to be upset nowadays. It's laughable how bubble wrapped and sensitive the young generation are now.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Webbo said:

By the way, it wasn't the subject that was criticised but the presumption that she had something to say on the subject that was worth hearing just because she is mildly famous.

The subject is definitely worth listening to and as she's a UN Women Goodwill Ambassador who helped launch the HeForShe campaign she's more than capable of lecturing us.

But I don't expect apes like Rod Little to know that as his head is firmly lodged up his own arse 100% of the time.

It doesn't make her immune to criticism but how far is she expected to take her campaigns for gender equality if buffoons like Little mock her at any opportunity for her acting? Fair enough there is a time and a place for laughing at people but Watson should be praised for using her fame and social status for good use (thankfully it has, on the whole).

• Like 4

1 hour ago, AKCJ said:

The subject is definitely worth listening to and as she's a UN Women Goodwill Ambassador who helped launch the HeForShe campaign she's more than capable of lecturing us.

But I don't expect apes like Rod Little to know that as his head is firmly lodged up his own arse 100% of the time.

It doesn't make her immune to criticism but how far is she expected to take her campaigns for gender equality if buffoons like Little mock her at any opportunity for her acting? Fair enough there is a time and a place for laughing at people but Watson should be praised for using her fame and social status for good use (thankfully it has, on the whole).

How far is she expected to take her campaign with people mocking her you ask? If she rises to the mocks I'd bloody hope nowhere, any reputable historical activist was as opaque to mockery as one can be. If you can't deal with mockery then stay inside, the world isn't going to adapt to ensure you can float around the world in a little bubble, and my god I'm sure glad it isn't. 

Thankfully, despite her timid voice on such, Emma Watson seems to be trooping on despite the mockery; as she should if she gives a damn about the issue. 

1 minute ago, Benguin said:

How far is she expected to take her campaign with people mocking her you ask? If she rises to the mocks I'd bloody hope nowhere, any reputable historical activist was as opaque to mockery as one can be. If you can't deal with mockery then stay inside, the world isn't going to adapt to ensure you can float around the world in a little bubble, and my god I'm sure glad it isn't. 

Thankfully, despite her timid voice on such, Emma Watson seems to be trooping on despite the mockery; as she should if she gives a damn about the issue. 

I agree, but she's unlikely to get anywhere when she's mocked for trying.

I don't understand the "Well Politicians get mocked and they deal with it". Yeah, but they're professionals* who are paid their money to do their job. Watson is just trying to help better the world.

Not everyone deserves to be laughed at. How about we all stand up and say "Well done Emma" rather than "Hur durr Hermione Granger talking shit. Get back in the kitchen love" to get a small laugh out of some imbeciles?

3 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

I agree, but she's unlikely to get anywhere when she's mocked for trying.

I don't understand the "Well Politicians get mocked and they deal with it". Yeah, but they're professionals* who are paid their money to do their job. Watson is just trying to help better the world.

Not everyone deserves to be laughed at. How about we all stand up and say "Well done Emma" rather than "Hur durr Hermione Granger talking shit. Get back in the kitchen love" to get a small laugh out of some imbeciles?

Because not everyone agrees with her and being able to criticise, irregardless of motive, is fundamental in the world view she postulates.

51 minutes ago, Benguin said:

Because not everyone agrees with her and being able to criticise, irregardless of motive, is fundamental in the world view she postulates.

Criticism and just plain mocking are different.

Watson isn't immune to criticism just because she's taking a stand and not everyone will agree with her.

But that doesn't give people like Little the license to write juvenile garbage about her.

14 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Criticism and just plain mocking are different.

Watson isn't immune to criticism just because she's taking a stand and not everyone will agree with her.

But that doesn't give people like Little the license to write juvenile garbage about her.

Actually it does. He's got as much right to criticise her as you have to criticise him.

22 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Actually it does. He's got as much right to criticise her as you have to criticise him.

Eh?

I've said that Watson isn't immune to criticism, only that she shouldn't have to tolerate misogynistic shite from people like Little.

Nothing to do with 'rights'.

21 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Eh?

I've said that Watson isn't immune to criticism, only that she shouldn't have to tolerate misogynistic shite from people like Little.

Nothing to do with 'rights'.

License/right, what's the difference?

5 minutes ago, Webbo said:

License/right, what's the difference?

He can criticise her for her views. Everyone has an opinion.

But he doesn't have the right/license laugh at her out of his own ignorance.

Emma Watson is more than qualified to have hosted that talk. It has nothing to do with her fame. Calling her "Hermione Granger" is degrading.