Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Alexikokopops

Anti-virus/Spyware recommendations

DO NOT get Norton 360, it's dog piss. I stupidly paid £50 for it (yearly subscription), and its shite.

The best spyware removerive found is Superantispyware, which is free just google it. It finds spyware that Norton doesnt, and it's fcking free!

I only have to put up with Norton for another 3 months, so this thread will help me too i guess. I've heard Kaspersky (or something like that) is meant to be good.

If you look for reviews you'll struggle to find an Anti Virus package that is universally loved - every one has its critics.

I use Trend Internet Security but only because it's what came with the computer, it's never given me any problems and it was relatively cheap to renew. I've always loathed McAffee, which in my experience has a more detrimental effect on PC performance than most, and seems to go wrong more.

When I had to set up a new PC for a friend of mine recently, we went for Microsoft Live Onecare, as the reviews were decent and it was relatively cheap. She's got on fine with it so far. This package was slated when it first came out, but they seem to have fixed the problems with the latest version and it works pretty well.

If you look for reviews you'll struggle to find an Anti Virus package that is universally loved - every one has its critics.

I use Trend Internet Security but only because it's what came with the computer, it's never given me any problems and it was relatively cheap to renew. I've always loathed McAffee, which in my experience has a more detrimental effect on PC performance than most, and seems to go wrong more.

When I had to set up a new PC for a friend of mine recently, we went for Microsoft Live Onecare, as the reviews were decent and it was relatively cheap. She's got on fine with it so far. This package was slated when it first came out, but they seem to have fixed the problems with the latest version and it works pretty well.

See, I had McAfee and it worked fine for a few years, but then I had it when my laptop got obliterated by a virus (which I'm pretty sure happened when my housemate was unemployed and borrowing my laptop while I was at work so he could've done anything, but still).

I don't know much about virus software but even I know Norton is gash! :thumbup:

You aint wrong. Worst 50 notes i've ever parted company with.

See, I had McAfee and it worked fine for a few years, but then I had it when my laptop got obliterated by a virus (which I'm pretty sure happened when my housemate was unemployed and borrowing my laptop while I was at work so he could've done anything, but still).

What actually happened to your laptop? A few months ago mine got completely fcked over by a virus, meaning a completely new hard drive. I had Norton at the time aswel. I should have contacted them about that. It's something i never thought about. If a computer (mine) can get a virus so bad that its hard drive needs replacing, then the virus software clearly isnt doing its job!

Has Raj just posted something sensible? lol I might have to have a look at that later.

It's just a case of what you will get on with best, as some software is easier and more compatible than others.

I would never use, Norton or Bullguard again in my honest opinion.

The best one for me is Mcaffee, it is a excellent programe once configured properly.

It really pisses me off when I see people using the Internet without protection (one of my pet hates)

It is like sticking your penis in a Kenyan whore, you are going to get infected. Infact your going to get the worst infection and then die.

Just like your computer would without being protected.

I would highly recommend using a spyware programme as well. If you don't already have a spyware programe on your computer then please use one of the following:

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

http://www.spywareterminator.com/

I would highly recommend the latter. Spyware is a really C*** if you get a lot of it on your computer, so get your computer proteced now.

free...

AVG 8 is excellent, back it up with Spyware terminator should keep you pretty much bug and trojan free

Paid..

Norton..... 6/10, sucks up resources and is clumsy and misses some things

Trend Micro...7/10 uses less resource, is strong and catches most

McAfee..... 8/10 lightest resource user that ive had...very efficeient and catches most

However with all of the paid ones i have also run one of the free spyware programs too...(its like wearing 2 condoms incase one splits).

I would certainly not suggest downloading ANYTHING from bittorrent etc unless you have strong antivirus and anti spyware already installed.

Free AVG (Download it from 'Download AVG Free 8.0 (AVG server)') or directly click here.

There is also something good called SpySweeper. I'd only get this if you definitely have spyware on your PC and AVG can't remove it because it's annoying with its "BUY ME NOW!!!!!" messages (ok exaggeration) but it's still annoying and it's only a trial so only get it when you need it, run a scan, and then remove it.

Archived