Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LeeCovFox

Album of You.

This isn't so much a perfect album thread, as an album which you feel is relfective of yourself and your life. Name an album's worth (perhaps 10-16 tracks) of songs, with no more than one song per artist in order to make it a little more eclectic, and perhaps a reason why you included that particular song. The songs are not necessarily your favourites musically, although of course they can be, but ones which have meant something to you at a specific time, songs with a stand out lyric which hit you at the time. Here is my attempt:

1. Romeo and Juliet - Dire Straits

For me, the perfect love song. I love the tune, the vocals, everything about it. For those who want to listen to a more modern version of the song, I would recommend the Killers cover of the track. They do it justice, which is a pretty good compliment in my opinion.

2. Do the Strand - Roxy Music

A pretty nonsensical song lyrically, but I love Roxy music and was hard pushed to choose a single song. This wins purely on the basis that it is brilliant to dance to!

3. Razzmatazz - Pulp

Another band which I am a huge fan of. The lyrics of this song see Jarvis Cocker at his cruel, home truths delivering best. "Are you going out, are you staying at home, eating boxes of Milk Tray, watch tv on your own, oh weren't you the one, with your razzmatzz and the nights on the town." Superb.

4. Like a Rolling Stone - Bob Dylan

The great thing about Dylan is his ability to get a pretty profound message across with the simplest of lyrics. This song is a prime example. A song for the embittered underdog if there ever was one.

5. Seeing Other People - Belle and Sebastian

I adore this band, and this song has been chosen purely on the basis that it is my favourite of theres this week. It changes regularly. Like Dylan, B&S have the knack of telling a story, and telling it well, with the use of simple lyrics and melody. This song for me is an almost perfect example of that.

6. Slideshow - Travis

A song which is included because it reminds me of the best family holiday we had when I was a child. This played on the journey down to Devon. "Today was the day, but only for the first time." How I wished that line rang true. I never wanted that holiday to end.

7. Powder Blue - Elbow

Another song which instantly reminds me of happy childhood memories. I'm pretty sure that I heard this song for the first time on the same holiday as Slideshow. A beautiful song, wonderful lyrics, and superb vocals from Guy Garvey.

8. There is a Light that Never Goes Out - The Smiths

Probably a pretty obvious one to pick out if you're looking for a Smiths song, but it is my favourite. Lyrically the song resonates with me personally, and the video is one which has suck with me for years, which is odd, as I wouldn't say that it is remarkable in anyway.

9. Positively 4th Street - Bryan Ferry

This is cheating a little, because of course this is a cover of the great Dylan original, but I wanted it in there somewhere. Probabaly about as good a cover as you will get of a Dylan track in my opinion. well worth a listen.

10. Favours for Favours - Futureheads

One of my favourite current bands, and my favourite of all their songs. A song about unrequited love, and longing.I think its does the job very well. "I wish that I could move more in time with you." is for me a wonderful lyric, which encapsulates that feeling of wanting to be what another person wants, such are your feelings for them.

11. Pissing in the Wind - Badly Drawn Boy

Another song which appeals to my love of simple lyrics and melody. An underdog song, laced with both disappointment and hope. Youtube it.

I think this is a top idea for a thread, LeeCovFox, and I give it my wholehearted endorsement, even if it seems to have captured NO-ONE'S imagination so far.

1. Morrissey - Suedehead

I love this song, me, and have since it was a poptastic hit in the popular music charts in 1988, I think it was. I think it's my favourite song ever, if I'm honest. The guitar riff at the start is marvellous, and I just love the melodramatic disdain Moz feels for the target of his ire. I could sing this song to SO MANY people that have passed through my life it's untrue.

2. Belle and Sebastian - There's Too Much Love

Like LCF, I think B&S are a tip top turn that don't get the recognition they deserve. Nearly every thing they've done has been ace, in my view. This particular track never fails to make me feel cheerier than I was before listening to it. The strings are as close to pop perfection as you can get, I reckon.

3. The Fall - Theme From Sparta FC #2

More urgent and with more balls than the album version, this is one of my favourite Fall tracks. It's about football fans but exactly what it's saying about them I've no idea, but then it is the Fall and as usual you get drawn in without really knowing what's going on. 'You mug old women in the paper shop/in your English bobble hat'. I often put this on before I go out (not to mug old women in paper shops I might add)

4. The Byrds - Have You Seen Her Face?

Proving that the Byrds could knock out a pop tune as good as anyone else's in the 60's when they could be arsed. This is my played-in-the-car-with-the-windows-down-slightly-too-loud track.

5. British Sea Power - Carrion

When I first heard this I was listening to ye olde hit parade in 2003 whilst driving down a mountain pass in the Lake District, which incidentally is probably the best place to listen to the the Power. I nearly crashed the car, I thought it was so ace

6. Jeffrey Lewis - Moving

There are so many blokes out there with acoustic guitars that are just a massive embarassment for everyone around them including their parents and partners, that's it great when someone with a bit of talent turns up and sounds a bit DIFFERENT, and Jeff's pretty much uniquely brilliant in my eyes. I haven't actually moved house since owning this song, but when I do I'll be sure to put it on. It's lovely

7. Suede - Animal Nitrate

I was listening to Steve Sodding Wright in the Afternoon many years ago when this came on, and I didn't know who it was but it was one of those moments when something sounds amazing on the very first listen. I've been hooked ever since. Although the Smiths are probably my favourite band ever, they'd split up by the time I got into them properly, but Suede were the new thing when I was 17 and it's always a bit more exciting when it's happening when you're at that age when you can get really excited about stuff. This is why I get pissed off at young lads being into Oasis - there's nothing PARTICULARLY offensive about Oasis, it's just that their heyday was nearly 15 bloody years ago. There must be something new for you to like, surely?

8. Billy Bragg - You Woke Up My Neighbourhood

A toss up between this and 'Greetings to the New Brunette', but wins by a nose. Proves that not only could Bill bang on about dock workers and being on remand and that, but he could also pen poignant pop tunes with real warmth to them. It's got pedal steel on it, which always makes a record doubly ace

9. Gorky's Zygotic Mynci - Spanish Dance Troupe

One minute GZM would be putting out songs that seemed to involve a piano being pushed down the stairs, and the next minute they'd be doing a beautiful lush tune like this. It's about running away with an erm, Spanish Dance Troupe, which always sounded like a good idea to me. I used to play this loads

10. Supergrass - Caught By The Fuzz

My Teenage Kicks, really. It makes me want to bump into things. I've never been Caught by The Fuzz, but I used to like a spliff when I was younger and less employed, so I can relate to the sentiments to an extent. Is this the best debut single ever? Most people will say no, but it's a darn good one.

11. The Cure - Friday I'm In Love

I actually was in love when this was out - the sort of crappy immature teenage love that isn't going to last but hey, you're having sex and your mates aren't sort of thing. It's a lovely song. I tried to buy it in Oxford in the rain, but was thwarted because they didn't have a Woolworths and I refused to pay more than £2.99 for a CD single

Great idea. I've not led a very interesting life by any stretch of the imagination but I could come up with about 1,000 songs for this if I wanted, each with their own special memory or reason.

1. Jackie Wilson - Reet Petite

The video to this used to make me cry when I was a toddler apparently. It involved plasticine. I was a sensitive child. Now I think it's an absolutely brilliant song.

2. Elastica - Connection

I was such a little indie kid. I ****ing loved the first Elastica album. It was a close-run thing between this and Inbetweener by Sleeper. Anyone roughly my age and upwards by 10 to 20 years is either lying or has never heard of Louise Wener if they say they never fancied her in the mid-90s. My Dad knew someone who worked with the drummer and managed to get me her autograph.

3. Wildchild - Renegade Master

Even as an indie kid I had quite eclectic taste from time to time. This was my favourite song for about two months in the mid to late 90s. I first heard it on the radio on Christmas Eve. Close between this and Ripgroove by Double 99. I remember watching them on TOTP and thinking I'd never heard anything like it before.

4. Nirvana - Breed

I used to love Nirvana, I remember being gutted when Kurt Cobain died and I was only 10. Seems strange now. I remember my mum saying he was a drug addict who wasn't worth worrying about but I told her it was all about the music. Whenever I remember that, I always think he must have died when I was about 16 to have had a conversation like that but nope, I was definitely 10.

5. Underworld - Cups

Just a piece of absolutely incredible musicianship. I bought Beaucoup Fish before I got the earlier albums, I had it on cassette!! I used to insist that me and my Dad listened to it in the car on the way back from night matches at Filbert Street. Halfway through Cups (the opening song), the tape used to go weird cos I played it so much. It went muffled for little periods for about two minutes towards the end where it goes a bit like the synths to Jump by Van Halen. I listened to that so much that when I got round to buying the CD, I knew exactly at which point the muffled bit would have been, and always expected it to do it. I reckon if I put it on now, I would still know. And of course it was absolutely perfect, perfect, perfect late night driving music. Perfect.

6. Dandy Warhols - Boys Better

The first record I ever owned by the Dandy Warhols. I loved '..Junkie..' when it came out but never bought it for some reason. Then my Dad went to Ireland on business one time, brought me back this on CD single (which was the next single) and it was the beginning of a musical love affair that it is only now beginning to fade. I fondly remember the days when everyone knew them for '..Junkie..' because it was much cooler than Bohemian Like You. Now they're just the band from those Vodafone adverts. A bit like Underworld will always be the band from Trainspotting I suppose.

7. Chicane - Saltwater

Edited: I had to add this. We went on a family holiday to Spain years ago and I bought this on cassette at the duty free on the way there. We then found out the hire car had a cassette player but this was the only cassette we had. I just separately asked my Dad and brother what Saltwater by Chicane reminded them of and they both said straight away 'a windy mountain road (from Ronda to Benalmadena) in Spain'. Music is amazing.

8. System of a Down - Forest

I went through a big SOAD phase when I was 17. Toxicity was number 1 on September 11th 2001, will never forget that day - the day before my first American Politics A-level lesson. We had something to talk about for sure.

9. OutKast - Hey Ya!

I fully remember the first time I heard this, thinking it was absolutely fantastic. I never, ever play it because I heard it so much at university - it came out during my second year and seemed to be played everywhere you went. One night in the Loaded Dog they played it four times (we were in there for about six hours but still). But now when I hear it, it reminds me of uni and good times.

10. Stevie Wonder - Superstition

Has always been the one song I quote if asked to narrow it down to one all-time favourite song. Going to see him next Thursday! Me and my mate at uni always threw a few shapes to this when it came on.

11. Basement Jaxx - Where's Your Head At?

Bit of a strange choice, but it captures a moment absolutely perfectly. And not the whole song, just one tiny bit. There's a bit after 37 seconds when the song kicks in. I tend to go to Summer Sundae every year and in 2000 (I think it was) I was standing down towards the front waiting for someone to come on (can't remember who, was quite high up the bill). They were playing music in between the performers like at most festivals. It was quite a sunny day and everyone was in high spirits, they played this and after 30 seconds I turned round and the whole hill was dancing. I've never been quite so struck by the power of music. It was euphoric. Same thing happened when I went to see Muse at Wembley with Woolers (TPH off here) and a couple of my other mates from uni. The Streets were supporting and we were just coming back from getting a few pints when he played Blinded By The Lights. The sight of seeing everyone dancing while walking down the steps was incredible.

12. Bombay Bicycle Club - Sixteen

Went through a big indie phase a year or two ago. Again, you lot bore the brunt of it probably. Me banging on about Good Shoes etc incessantly. This lot are the real deal though and have to make it huge when their album comes out. This is probably one of the most emotive songs I've ever heard. Straight away I'm going back in time two years and listening to this in Brixton on the way to meet my mate who lives down there. I'm getting a funny feeling even listening to it now.

13. Hot Chip - And I Was A Boy From School (US Session)

I go through phases of loving bands for about six months to a year. This forum has had to put up with my Hot Chip obsession over the past year or two but I don't tend to listen to them at the moment. This is the one song I think I will always, always go back to though. And this version is so much better than the album/single version.

14. Fujiya & Miyagi - Hundreds and Thousands

Because it's what I have in my head at the moment and it's brilliant (and I can't have 13 songs).

Hmmm. This is really hard!

1. The Smiths - How soon is now?

Even as a daughter, and not the son and the heir, this pretty much summed up my early nightlife years.

2. Dario G - Sunchyme

Reminds me of winning at Old Trafford. I really liked this, as at the time Mark and Lard did a little skit on the Radio 1 breakfast show, and it reet tickled me! This tune was one of those "if I hear that tune, then City will win" moments.

3. Sex Pistols - Anarchy in the UK

Another one of those "if I hear that tune, the City will win" moments. I loved this track as a kid, and it was going round my head in the build up to the '94 play off final. When the thought entered my head on the way down to Wembley, I almost put my head through the coach window. It was the next track on the radio. We won.

4. Take That - Could it be magic

I hate Take That. With a passion. But this song reminds me of someone, and something that never quite happened, but made me realise (albeit briefly) that track no. 1 wasn't all about myself after all.

5. Gerry Rafferty - Baker Street

I was 4 years old (just) when this record was released, but the words and the music made this child's overactive imagination run rife. I used to think it was made by magic. :ph34r:

6. The Prodigy - Hyperspeed

If I had to choose a song to represent the manic side of my character, this is it.

7. The Rolling Stones - 19th Nervous Breakdown

The Stones did so many great songs, but this one strikes a chord with me, and I feel I can relate to the lyrics.

8. Duran Duran - Is there something I should know?

Not my favourite track, but it is the one that went straight to number 1 on my birthday! Having been banned from school dinners, I used to enjoy going home at Tuesday lunchtime to listen to the new charts (back in those days, it took two days to get the stats, and compile the chart). I had told my dad that Duran Duran would go straight to the top. He smirked and said it wouldn't, as in those days going straight in at no. 1 was rare. It was the best bit of my birthday!

9. Tracy Chapman - Fast Car

Again, not really a song I liked particularly, but it reminds me of my holiday, and driving from Bognor Regis to Portsmouth on one of our little excursions. Dad was cruising down the M27 at the time, the sun was shining, the song summed up the moment.

10. DJ Jean - The Launch

First time in Ibiza, it's all we heard. Hearing that tune brings back the sunshine!

Anyway, I'll have a go.

'Tis hard though as Lisoh says.

1. Get Free - The Vines

Gotta open with a ****in' chunky riff and some general head-banging-ness. I like to pretend I can scream too.

2. Pretty Vacant - Sex Pistols

I'm crazy, therefore this is in.

3. March of the Pigs - Nine Inch Nails

Bleedy love this song and has awesomely agressive lyrics. Political anger FTW.

4. Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd

Greatest song ever made, need I say more? No

5. Aurora - Foo Fighters

My favourite song of all time. Love the guitar tone and delay. Nonsensical lyrics really but they're pretty sweet still.

6. Sometimes - My Bloody Valentine

*Jizzes* Again, amazing guitar tone (as MBV always had/have) and great lyrics.

7. Girls - Death in Vegas

B-E-A-UUUUTIFUL. Makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

8. Hide and Seek - Imogen Heap

Beautiful simple musically, but has heavily vocoded vocals which sound amazing. Love it.

9. Mayonaise - Smashing Pumpkins

Amazingly emotional song with a beautiful opening. The guitar is astounding when the distortion kicks in. Great solo too.

10. All Eyes On Me - Goo Goo Dolls

Love this band and along with Bullet Proof, this is my favourite track by them.

11. Rebellion (Lies) - Arcade Fire

This song gets me pretty pumped. The bass is great and the vocals are uber awesome. So there.

12. What Katie Did - The Libertines

Pretty song with good guitar tone. Shoop shoop, shoop de lang de lang. Awesome.

13. Mercy Me - Alkaline Trio

In love with this song at the moment. Love the riff, decent lyrics and a great chorus.

14. Let Go - Frou Frou

First heard this song at the end of Garden State, obviously. :P Like the sort of shoegazy/electro vibe and always love Imogen's voice. Great song.

That'll do. Hard to choose, but these seem kinda suitable for the moment. :/

1.NEIL YOUNG - You & me

Just a simply beautiful song, I could have picked so many Neil Young Songs but I remember hearing this on a b side to 'Needle & the damage done' and I fell in love with the song. I played it to my first real girlfiend I was about 17 and it became our song.

2.PEARL JAM - Alive

Not my favourite Pearl Jam song, but the moment I heard the incredible guitar riff I knew right then this band were for me. 17 years later they remain one of my favourite bands, I grew up listening to them, and when I went to see them for the first time I don't mind admitting I cried.

3.BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN - No surrender

Where do I start such an incredible artist, didn't get into his music until early 1990's but discovered his incredible back catalogue. A song me and my best friend at the time would listen too, the lyric:-

'We learned more from a three-minute record than we ever learned in school' - meant a lot to us and many kids I guess.

4.BOB DYLAN - A hard rains gonna fall

Just a complete masterpiece by an incredible writer. Some poster before said some Pink Floyd track was the best song ever, he should listen to this. Discovering Dylans work was like a light going on in my head, full of ideas, made me politically aware just before I was old enough to vote.

5.10,000 MANIACS Whats the matter here?

A truely haunting, beautiful and emotional song, makes me cry when I hear it, you always need a weepy song.

6.BILLY BRAGG - Between The Wars

To me the closest person we have to an English Dylan, known mostly for his political songs but also wrote so may beautiful love songs. I have chosen a Political song. Between the wars summed up britain in the mid 80's and with my father on strike at the time made me aware of adult life and the problems the country I was living in had even at a young age.

7.THE JAM - Tales from the riverbank

Certainly not one of wellers more famous tunes, but as this album is suppose to be a reflection of ourselves this one works for me. Memories of being young playing football in the fields, being out all day long, happy times although I didnt know it at the time.

8.THE SMITHS - Stretch out & wait

I was late really getting into the smiths. I remember my girlfriend at the time listening to 'The queen is dead' and although I was aware of the smiths that album really made me seek them out, I'm forever thankful for her for that

9.THE KINKS - Waterloo sunset

Another all time classic from start to finish possibly the greatest pop song ever. Reminds me of when I moved to london and lived close to the South Bank, strange times, a little scared and alone but it made me grow up...finally.

10.CURTIS MAYFIED & The Impressions - Meeting Over Yonder

What a tune I got into soul & motown music mainly due to the whole rave scene, lots of soul samples were used in the acid house tracks, I grew to love the music. It was a great time in the late 80's we were still young but old enough to go off to raves even though we never told our parents that. Incredibly exciting and new and a real sense of a youth movement, of course the government moved in and spoilt a once beautiful thing. Similar to the punk music scene of the 1970's I really hope young kids experience a new youth movement I think their crying out for one, hell with the X Factor taking over theres no better time for a revolution.

11.FARLEY JACKMASTER FUNK - Love Can’t Turn Around

Possibly the first song that inspired the whole house/acid/rave scene, and see the above reason why I chose it. Dance music from chicago/detroit at that time pisses over any dance music from today.

12.ROBERT JOHNSON - Love in Vain

The blues is a genre of music most people in England dont know or understand, but it has the most incredible heart. Reminds me of school when I met someone who would play me muddy waters tracks in the music room at break time (which I would frequent if it was raining - usually playing footy).

This music has been watered down by white musicians led zepplin, eric clapton but they dont have 'it'. Robert Johnson does. Oh and inspired Train in vain by The Clash.

13.THE WHO - I'm one

Off the Quadrophenia album. I was a mod, well I thought I was I had a Vespa and a parker and liked soul music. I loved the clothes the style and the arrogance of the whole thing perfect for a young chap, or old chap for that matter. Memories of riding my scooter around and feeling free.

1. Bruce Springsteen - Dancing In the Dark. His music may not appeal to the majority of my generation but I believe Mr. Springsteen was on his finest form with DITD. Everytime I hear it I get goosebumps.

2. NIN - We're In This Together. It would be impossible for me to do something like this without including NIN, who, for me, are one of the most seminal acts of the last couple of decades. This song pretty much encompasses what they are all about, crushing, distorted guitars one minute, poigniant piano the next. Lovely stuff.

3. Hard-Fi - Living for the Weekend. This is the song that I always listen to if I ever want to get motivated for anything. For me, just a really great foot tapping tune.

4. The Rolling Stones - Wild Horses. In my opinion the 'Stones were always at their best when they tried a more delicate, emotion laced approach to music. They were (are) great when performaing the big rock anthems, but, for me, Wild Horses is one of the most beautiful songs ever written. If it wasn't this it's be Angie.

5. System Of A Down - Aerials. My favourite SOAD track and easily one of my favourites overall. When Serj Tanakian is shouting it feels like there is a real purpose and meaning behind it, and the climax of Aerials is absolutely phenomenal.

6. Jimi Hendrix - Hey Joe. Hendrix at his finest. Need I say more?

7. Red Hot Chili Peppers - Otherside. They may be considerably average nowadays, but circa Californication RHCPs were one of the greatest bands on the planet, and that album (and Otherside in particular), will never cease to excite me.

8. Delirium - Silence (Feat. Sarah McLachan). An absolutely brilliant track rippling with emotion and passion. When Sarah McLachlan's voice is screeching over virtually nothing I still get "the shivers".

9. Bloc Party - The Pioneers. Cracking track from a band an album that both acheived the success they deserved.

10. Weezer - Hash Pipe. When Weezer do an anthem they really do an anthem.

11. The Stone Roses - Made Of Stone. Could be any song off of that album tbh, but this one is my personal favourite.

12. We Are Scientists - It's A Hit. Favourite tune of the past few years from a band of limitless potential.

2. NIN - We're In This Together. It would be impossible for me to do something like this without including NIN, who, for me, are one of the most seminal acts of the last couple of decades. This song pretty much encompasses what they are all about, crushing, distorted guitars one minute, poigniant piano the next. Lovely stuff.

5. System Of A Down - Aerials. My favourite SOAD track and easily one of my favourites overall. When Serj Tanakian is shouting it feels like there is a real purpose and meaning behind it, and the climax of Aerials is absolutely phenomenal.

7. Red Hot Chili Peppers - Otherside. They may be considerably average nowadays, but circa Californication RHCPs were one of the greatest bands on the planet, and that album (and Otherside in particular), will never cease to excite me.

10. Weezer - Hash Pipe. When Weezer do an anthem they really do an anthem.

:worship::punk:

Ten records that carry some significance or take me to some particular place in time:

1. The Cure - Lullaby

I remember going into the record shop as a fresh-faced 12 year old and asking for it, half-expecting to be laughed at for some reason. I think I was under the misapprehension you had to look like Robert Smith to own this record. My parents thought I was a bit odd for liking it, which is reason alone to own any record.

2. The Wedding Present - Kennedy

As featured on Peel's Festive 50 of 1989, and still preserved in it's entirety on several C60s in a box in the garage somewhere. They should bring the festive 50's out on CD. This record never fails to pick me up and may be my favourite record ever. The guitars are bonkers - classic Weddos.

3. Public Enemy - Fight The Power

Also from 1989 (a good year). A massively impressive record, both musically and for Chuck D and Flav's searing polemic. One of those records that, as a kid, made me think, "Wow, music can actually be like this?"

4. The Smiths - Reel Around The Fountain

It was a genuine coincidence that I bought Louder Than Bombs and The Smiths at a time when I was going through a difficult time. I didn't listen to The Smiths because I was down, but those two records lingered on my hi-fi for a long time and still mean a lot to me. It was a toss up between Half A Person and Reel Around The Fountain - Reel wins because it's just a beautiful track. "You can pin and mount me like a butterfly". Genius.

5. Gene - Sleep Well Tonight

I was into Gene around the time I left school. The song lyrics specifically remind me of going out with friends that summer..."the pubs and the clubs", and the air of excitement that surrounded Friday nights when all the mattered was beer, which girls were out and how we were going to afford to get home. The song also reminds me of going to see them in Northampton, losing my bearings after the gig and heading up a street the wrong way into two lanes of rather surprised oncoming traffic.

6. The Libertines - Time For Heroes

For various reasons I was inbetween jobs, inbetween lives almost, when this song came out and was careering around the country living a wanton, louche and lascivious lifestyle (in my own eyes) courtesy of Barclaycard, to whom I remained indebted to for some time thereafter. The album (and song) was my soundtrack. Great record.

7. The Stone Roses - She Bangs The Drums

Again, 1989. I don't think I could imagine a more perfect song, or indeed a better album. Another record that has the ability to give me a lift whenever I hear it.

8. Saint Etienne - Hobart Paving

Everyone should have a band or a singer that they secretly regard as theirs. Saint Etienne were/are mine. This was my first taste of them. A very English pop band with a sound flipping between pop, folk, dance, and kitsch lounguecore, I've been addicted to them ever since. This is them at their most bittersweet. I unashamedly love Saint Etienne.

9. Orbital - Belfast

Acid House always fascinated me as a kid. In a sense it passed me by, what with me being a mere nipper in the summer of 1988 and anchored in rural Leicestershire. Although not specifically acid, Orbital and 808 State were probably the main survivors of that era musically and remain my favourite electronic acts. "Chime" by Orbital was another record that opened my mind to a new kind of music, but this record is my favourite of that era and proof that music made with sequencers, samplers and computers can have a soul.

10. Alphabeat - Fascination

Ultimately, I just love pop music. You can't beat the regulation three and a half-minute pop song. I wanted to include a current record and was going to go for MGMT or The Ting Tings, but this song is so ludicrously simple and utterly joyous, I've had to include it out of sheer bloody-mindedness.

Brilliant but impossible idea. I've tilted it slightly towards music I listened to when I was younger as those tunes had the greatest influence on my taste and also have that nostalgia factor that I'm yet to feel with the music I listen to at the minute.

1. The Bangles - Eternal Flame

Don't take the piss. I used to keep a photo of Susanna Hoffs under my pillow. I didn't even know what girls were, I was only about 8 but I just couldn't help loving this song and loving Susanna. My sister and Mum still rip me to this day.

2. Bon Jovi - Blaze Of Glory

Crossroads was my first ever CD. The best of Bon Jovi - it doesn't get much better does it. For some reason it was around the time I listened to this song that I became intrigued by the quality of sound. I really wanted my stereo to blow me away when I played this on it. The truth was it was a shit Bush hi-fi and the only sound control you had was a "rock", "pop" or "jazz" setting.

3. Nirvana - Come As You Are

My older sister got into grunge so I did too. She passed me down that black Nirvana t-shirt with the yellow writing on it about corporate whores and stuff. I got told to take it off when I wore it to school one time. I was a rebel. At least listening to Nirvana made me think I was. Unplugged... is a superb album.

4. Pearl Jam - Alive

What a guitar solo. Wasn't long after discovering Nirvana that I found Pearl Jam. Ten still is one of the greatest albums of all time surely. I used to listen to this on tape and rewind the guitar solo over and over again. Brilliant.

A tune that united rock and dance fans and gave me my first taste of electronic music. Probably about 14 at the time and also started an obsession with bass. Track 3 off arguably the finest punk-rave album ever. I actually produced my own version of this tune using my Casio keyboard and Cubase. It was shit. But the original is perfection.

6. LTJ Bukem - Music

I owe much of my interest in drum n bass to this tune and the album it was taken off, Logical Progressions. My first drum n bass album just so happened to be one of the greatest ever albums of the genre and I was totally hooked after the first listen. I remember playing it for the first time on a decent set of speakers and all of a sudden it came alive. I hadn't even heard the sub bass before, I had been content enough with the drums. Amazing.

7. Radiohead - Paranoid Android

My mates used to bang on about Radiohead but I only really got into them when OK Computer came out. And this track was the one we had been loving in the run up to its release. I remember this playing when we'd go and get pissed and stoned down the local park. It was a proper anthem to my GCSE/A-Level days and every one of my mates absolutely loved it. What a video as well!

8. Dr. Dre - The Next Episode

We used to rinse this album during A-Levels. Go round to a house, set up Goldeneye and Wrestlemania, load the bong and stick on some Dre. Great days, really great days. The lyrics amused us and the production is typically crisp.

Fast forward to university and drum n bass nights were the order of the day for the 1st, 2nd and well, pretty much the whole of university. Going down to Bassheads at The Matrix in Reading on the last Friday of the month was a religion. I'm getting tingles thinking about it. All of us getting wrecked and dancing into the night. This tune was our anthem.

This album is meant to be in some kind of chronological order but this tune doesn't fit in anywhere particular, it's just always been there and always will be. One of the most beautiful pieces of music I've ever heard. Nothing more to say.

11. Jurassic 5 - Concrete Schoolyard

This isn't hip hop. People who hate hip hop love this tune. This is just pure soul music. Brilliant stuff and a tune that got caned hard at university. Word of mouth made sure this tune could be heard all round the place. Seeing them live a few years ago was the icing on the cake, superb stuff.

Exit Festival. This tune got played so many times in different guises. Electro version, dubstep version, drum n bass version. All brilliant and just captured the whole feel of the festival. It was possibly the best 5 days I've ever had and I'm doing it all again next year. Wahey!

My funeral song. Stunning.

Shit, I've finished on a sombre note and it's 13 tracks long. F**k it. I'm done.

This was tough due to there being a lot more music and experience in my life, which has been longer than most of the posters here, but here goes...

1. Vienna - Ultravox

It's the first song I can remember really liking that was contemporary (when you're really young you listen to your parents music, at least you do if, like me, you're the eldest child) and it probably remained my favourite tune for years. I find it a little bland now, though I wopuldn't say I dislike it. It's just a bit... meh.

2. Like To Get To Know You Well - Howard Jones

The first single I ever bought... or it could be I Just Called To Say I Love You by Stevie Wonder. Both at Ainsleys; which one got picked up 1st or paid for 1st, I have no idea. I merely put Mr Jones' effort in the title cos I feel it's the slightly less embarrassing one. :dunno:

3. Gigantic - Pixies

One of those songs that you can remember where you were when you first heard it (in Very Bazaar, down in the basement that had a rickety stairs leading to it that would be condemned nowadays (someone prove me wrong and say it's still there!)) A truly brilliant song that swept me off my feet. The weird thing was I knew what the song was from a Melody Maker review, before hearing it annouced on the radio. Bizarre! (sic) The same also happened to me when I first heard Teen Spirit, though that was in Scattergood's supermarket.

4. Tower of Strength - The Mission

I was a bit gothy in my youth. No make-up or stuff, but I wore a lot of black and I loved the Sisters, et al. This song was kinda anthemic and I could often be found in town singing this to myself in watering holes such as The Globe.

5. Our Summer - All About Eve

Which bring me to this song and this band. The first band I ever saw live. They were amazing, I had a great night and this particular song I remember setting the place (Aston Villa Uni Leisure Centre) alight.

6. Friday I'm In Love - The Cure

Not a song about Robinson Crusoe coming out of the closet, but the song that is kind of "our tune". I say kinda cos my wife is profoundly deaf, but I adopted it on her behalf. Probably the start of The Cure's slide into mediocrity.

7. Not the Same - Dinosaur Jr

When we were courting, I considered breaking up with my present wife, mainly due to the communication difficulties in communication from her being deaf and me hearing. Then I heard this song, which is about the pain of rejection and not being able to understand each other, and it changed my mind. I'm happy it did, cos she's the best thing that ever happened to me! :)

8. Don't Fight It, Feel It - Primal Scream

Made me realise that it was ok to like dance music (did I mention I was gothically influenced?) In fact the whole Screamadelica album has much to do with my eclectic taste in music.

9. To Here Knows When - My Bloody Valentine

My complete and utter conversion to the weird, wonderful and diverse world of bliss. High without drugs.

10. Institutionalised - Suicidal Tendancies

Helped me through many a bleak moment in my youth. Negatively-positive, it tells you that, "hey, you think you got it bad, well listen to me!" Recently featured in the Ironman movie. Nice! :thumbup:

11. My Weakness Is None of Your Business - Embrace

Sums up my Control Freak nature. If I need help, I'll ask for it... OK!? And it is my weakness. I sorely wish I could delegate better.

12. Rolodex Propoganda - At The Drive-in

On the album for reawaking my music. Having been married for a few years, I started to slip into that musical torpidity that comes with it. Then I saw these on (I think) Jules Holland. Awesome!

13. Just A Man - Faith No More

I often feel people expect more of me than I can give, but I'm not the most self-confident of people. At the end of the day, I'd really like people to just accept me for who I am and what I can do. Oh, and it's a great song to end an album on!

Oh and if everything goes tits up when they turn the Large Hadron Collider on, can I add...

14. Black Hole Sun - Soundgarden :thumbup:

I don't really have many songs that bring back particular memories that would make an all time list, but the songs below are possibly my favourite that I can recall right now.

1. Oasis - Slide Away

Despite what people might say about them now, they're still probably my favourite band in my lifetime. This song for me personally is the pick of all their songs and is from arguably their greatest album in 'Definitely Maybe'. I couldn't leave this song out of this list.

2. Pulp - Common People

I think the lyrics to this song are a draw for me. "You'll never live like common people, you'll never do what common people do, you'll never fail like common people". I like Jarvis Cocker (remember his Michael Jackson protest?), I'm a fan of his work.

3. Weezer - Keep Fishin'

I remember when this song came out, I was 11, and I used to flick through the music channels and this would be an instant hit. Quite possibly because the video was such an appeal with the muppets involved, but this song always puts me in a good mood.

4. Chemical Brothers - Saturate

When I first heard We Are The Night, this was clearly the standout track for me. My favourite Chemical Brothers track, this list needs something like this in it.

5. Red Hot Chili Peppers - Otherside

Class. One of my favourite songs of all time, and my favourite Chilis song. Again, they are a band I don't listen to as much as I should these days, but I still love listening to Californication, it's a fantastic album.

6. Arctic Monkeys - Leave Before The Lights Come On

My favourite song by my favourite band. Unfortunately I haven't had the pleasure of seeing these live as of yet, but it's something I will be getting onto when they come on tour next in the UK. Many people still don't like them, but I can't help but fall for their music.

7. Jay-Z - 99 Problems

This is just one song that really gets me going. It came on one of the DJ sets in Leeds (albeit a remixed version), and it was just fantastic. Definitely brings back some good memories.

8. Bloc Party - Helicopter

Such a brilliant guitar riff for the introduction of this song, you can't help but not like it. Especially impressive live, this song is a real crowd pleaser and one of the songs that made Bloc Party who they are today. Fantastic track.

9. Foo Fighters - Times Like These

Also one of my favourite bands, this is another song that brings back memories of Leeds Festival. Another song with catchy guitar riffs, another reason why it appeals to me so much.

10. Tommy Emmanuel - Angelina

I doubt many of you will have heard this, but I'd recommend it. This man is a genius when it comes to acoustic guitar, and this is such a beautiful song to play. I have a large soft spot for instrumental music like this, and this fits the bill perfectly for me.

11. Pendulum - Blood Sugar

Another brilliant track live, I couldn't overlook this. Pendulum's older work from Hold Your Colour is clearly their best and this is pure evidence of this.

12. Massive Attack - Teardrop

I'm not even sure what it is about this song that I love. I guess it's something completely different to everything else. Either way, it's a superb song and one that deserves its place near the end of this list.

13. Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

It appears I've already been beaten to this by JTB, but I don't care. This song is pure brilliance, and a fitting final song. I can see every reason why you'd want it played at your funeral James, perfect.

Here's a few iscribbled down on the bus. I'msure i'll edit this later wheni remember a trackisimply should never have left off the list.

1. All My Best Friends Are Metalheads - Less Than Jake - The first band i ever saw headline at Extreme Festival 2000. I was 13 and was convinced i had the greatest contact high. I still love this to this day.

2. Born In The USA - Bruce Springsteen - A song i used to play to death in the car with my Dad. Great to croak along to.

3. Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now - The Smiths - Simply put, my favourite song. Ever.

4. Boy's Don't Cry - The Cure - The first song that my iPod spat out at me and all i could hear in my head when one of my exes broke up with me. God i was emo.

5. Driftwood - Travis - The best track from the first album i ever owned on cassette.

6. Points Of Authority - Linkin Park - The only good song from the first album i owned on CD.

7. Hash Pipe - Weezer - The soundtrack to my skating days. Still a classic.

8. Six Queens - Larrikin Love - Yes i'm aware it's about being gay but this is a fooking brilliant song and the lyrics always struck me - 'I was a boy who yearned to be a cover girl'. Will always love this song.

9. Anna - The Voom Blooms - The most underated song in the world ever.

10. Konstantine - Something Corporate - The most amazing 12 minute epic ever.

11. Such Great Heights - The Postal Service - The song that hooked me into an Indie world.

12. 70x7 - Brand New - I used to have the lyrics to this pinned up on my wall when i was an angry young emo.

13. Bessame Mucho - Dan Sartain - Impossible to find anywhere but to hear this is to taste God's vagina.

14. Brat Pack - The Rocket Summer - Many a paper round was spent merrily singing along to this on my mini disc player.

15. I Liked You Better Before You Were Naked On The Internet- From First To Last - 'To you I'm like a flavor that wouldn't last, You took one bite and spat me out real fast'

16. I Won't Spend Another Night Alone - The Ataris - I sang this to a girl once. I'm starting to see the emo thing now actually.

17. Alison - Elvis Costello - Classic, a slice of pop heaven and probably the great man's finest work.

18. Run - Snow Patrol - Brilliant song i've played to death. Still gives me chills.

19. We Are Your Friends - Justice Vs Simian - So many uni memories based around this song. Love it to bits. I know JTB already stole this but i had to include it too. It was between this and 'It's A Hit' by WAS which had also already been taken.

20. General Smuts - The Libertines - Natch.

That's quite varied actually and also quite emo too. Oh dear.

Here's a few iscribbled down on the bus. I'msure i'll edit this later wheni remember a trackisimply should never have left off the list.

1. All My Best Friends Are Metalheads - Less Than Jake - The first band i ever saw headline at Extreme Festival 2000. I was 13 and was convinced i had the greatest contact high. I still love this to this day.

2. Born In The USA - Bruce Springsteen - A song i used to play to death in the car with my Dad. Great to croak along to.

3. Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now - The Smiths - Simply put, my favourite song. Ever.

4. Boy's Don't Cry - The Cure - The first song that my iPod spat out at me and all i could hear in my head when one of my exes broke up with me. God i was emo.

5. Driftwood - Travis - The best track from the first album i ever owned on cassette.

6. Points Of Authority - Linkin Park - The only good song from the first album i owned on CD.

7. Hash Pipe - Weezer - The soundtrack to my skating days. Still a classic.

8. Six Queens - Larrikin Love - Yes i'm aware it's about being gay but this is a fooking brilliant song and the lyrics always struck me - 'I was a boy who yearned to be a cover girl'. Will always love this song.

9. Anna - The Voom Blooms - The most underated song in the world ever.

10. Konstantine - Something Corporate - The most amazing 12 minute epic ever.

11. Such Great Heights - The Postal Service - The song that hooked me into an Indie world.

12. 70x7 - Brand New - I used to have the lyrics to this pinned up on my wall when i was an angry young emo.

13. Bessame Mucho - Dan Sartain - Impossible to find anywhere but to hear this is to taste God's vagina.

14. Brat Pack - The Rocket Summer - Many a paper round was spent merrily singing along to this on my mini disc player.

15. I Liked You Better Before You Were Naked On The Internet- From First To Last - 'To you I'm like a flavor that wouldn't last, You took one bite and spat me out real fast'

16. I Won't Spend Another Night Alone - The Ataris - I sang this to a girl once. I'm starting to see the emo thing now actually.

17. Alison - Elvis Costello - Classic, a slice of pop heaven and probably the great man's finest work.

18. Run - Snow Patrol - Brilliant song i've played to death. Still gives me chills.

19. We Are Your Friends - Justice Vs Simian - So many uni memories based around this song. Love it to bits. I know JTB already stole this but i had to include it too. It was between this and 'It's A Hit' by WAS which had also already been taken.

20. General Smuts - The Libertines - Natch.

That's quite varied actually and also quite emo too. Oh dear.

Tbh you could put any Postal Service song in here and it's still get one of these. :worship:

Archived