Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LeeCovFox

Album of You.

1. Dire Straits - Money For Nothing

My first favourite song when I was about 6 or 7. As a result, Brothers in Arms was the first casette I got.

2. Pink Floyd - The Dogs Of War

My dad used to play a lot of his music on the car stereo, and I remember the crunching sounds in this song scaring the hell out of me. I loved the intensity of it, and it's still a very powerful track.

3. Focus - House Of The King

Another song that my dad played in the car. In hindsight, this might well have been the song that triggered my love for progressive music.

4. Jean-Michel Jarre - Chronologie

I'll never forget my family going to a concert of his in Brussels without me when I was about 10. I subsequently loved this song/album and I've not yet forgiven my parents for that atrocious decision to leave me at home :giggle:

5. Skunk Anansie - Twisted

The song that got me hooked to Skunk Anansie when I was about 13-14. I just loved the raw guitar and Skin's amazing voice. My love for SA has faded a bit since, even though I was convinced I would "love them forever" at the time...

6. Soundgarden - Black Hole Sun

Not much to be said here. One of the best tunes of the 90's and I loved it to bits.

7. Tool - 46 & 2

This is where my love for progressive music really kicked off. The somber and heavy atmospheric guitar & bass and the beastly drums along with THAT voice and the oh so intricate rhythms and sound layering, took a while for me to appreciate. I remember it being on my playlist, and even with regular listens, it didn't get me hooked until 6 months later. As soon as I got to grips with this band, I found that most of the mainstream music could vanish for all I cared. And to a large extent, I still have that opinion today. Without a doubt the biggest musical influence in my life along with Pink Floyd. They'll always hold a special place in my heart.

8. Underworld - Dark Train

I had known Underworld for a long time before I started liking them. I'd prematurely dismissed techno completely as being just "rubbish monotonous computerized sounds". That was until my dad was invited to come along to one of their concerts. Open to new music as he is, he went along. He literally got sick from the whole experience, and had to leave an hour before the show ended because of the heavy bass. Nonetheless, he heard some interesting stuff and started checking them out. Thanks (again) to my dad, I soon noticed what a brilliant pair these guys are. This track is a personal fave of mine.

9. Infected Mushroom - Deeply Disturbed

Underworld got me a bit more tolerant towards electronic music, and I discovered IM soon after I moved to Denmark. The music wasn't nearly as good as Underworld, but it was addictive and a lot more pulsating! I still listen to these guys when running or studying at night.

10. Dream Theater - A Change Of Seasons

I discovered a host of new music during the first couple of years when I moved to Denmark to live on my own. This was definitely the pick of the lot, and I still regard it as one of the most impressive pieces of craftsmanship in music today.

11. Porcupine Tree - Arriving Somewhere But Not Here

Since Tool, there hasn't been any band that came close to becoming my all time favourite band. That was until I stumbled upon the genius that is Steven Wilson. It really is hard for me to describe Porcupine Tree, apart from the bleeding obvious that I find them absolutely brilliant. So creative, so versatile, so enveloping and jsut so damn addictive. Arriving Somewhere... was the first PT song I heard, and what an epic! "Pink Floyd'esque with heavy riffs a la Tool" (which is a quote from their fan forum). The perfect marriage for me. I'm loving these guys, and I'm convinced I'll listen to them until the day that I die...

12. Oceansize - Trial Of Tears

I've only recently started to dig Oceansize after they warmed up for Coheed & Cambria at a gig in March. The sound was awful at the venue, but I still heard enough to convince me they were worthy of another listen. Possibly a bit too pretentious or ambitious with some of their music, but they too are influenced by a host of bands I approve of. And Trial Of Tears is the song that I keep humming to myself these days.

13. Rammstein - Heirate Mich

I'd consider this song for my funeral. Simply because I want the grotesqueness and general piss-take attitude of this band to make my funeral a light-hearted occasion. And nobody can resist such a churning riff!! :thumbup:

1. Bohemian Like You - Dandy Warhols

First, and come to think of it, possibly only piece of music I ever legally bought. Christ I'm a morally repugnant person. It's not actually brilliant but I like it anyway, and it's fun, which I don't think is going to be a recurring feature of this list.

2. The Nurse Who Loved Me - A Perfect Circle

I just listened to this again for the first time in about 18 months, jesus christ. It's not that special and I really don't like A Perfect Circle, but it still means a lot to me. Some girl I used to talk to the internet when I was 14 sent this to me, I didn't listen to it for 6 months after that, but when I did I remember the feeling clear as day, I was almost paralysed and tingly all over, really strange, literally semi-orgasmic. It takes me right back to being a mixed up young teen coming up to his SATs. This was a deal before I listened to music a lot, but it was my first exposure to properly "pretty" music and it knocked me back.

3. Creep - Radiohead

The song that got me "into" music properly. 15 years old, feeling vaguely rebellious blasting out the f-word while everyone was out. It's still a properly great song. I remember singing along to this in the mirror in my old school uniform.

4. Citizen Erased - Muse

I went straight onto Muse after exhausting most of Radiohead's discography. I think they're pretty underrated to be honest. . They might paint in broader strokes but they've not deliberately pandered to the mass-market in doing so, (not up until "Starlight", anyhow) it's just how they roll. I thought I'd gone off Muse but I listened to this again a few weeks ago and remembered just how great this song is. Works itself up into an epic and then unwinds with a vaguely heartbreaking coda to round it off. Seamless.

5. Sleep - Dandy Warhols

Skipping forward a bit here, a year and a half, ish. I like two songs by these guys and thats it, but they're both pretty important to me. This is just lovely. I had a really rough summer in 2006, I was genuinely. properly depressed for reasons I might have to go into later, until about November, Decemberish. The summer holidays were the worst.I used to sit up all night listening to depressing music generally wallowing in it. Lovely track.

6. Teardrop (Instrumental) - Massive Attack

I spent the time I wasn't up late listening to music downloading and watching every House episode I hadn't watched (twice). Which at that point was pretty much the entire first 2 seasons. I still love House, it's brilliant. I'll fire up the latest episode on the computer and the title sequence whizzes me back to watching my 5th episode of the night at 5.30am as it gets light outside, with a speaker clutched to my ear cos my house is tiny and I had no headphones. I love the proper version and all but the intrumental is the one with the hooks in my brain that drag me back in time on a whim.

7. How I Made My Millions- Radiohead

Soulful, mournful, lo-fi, semi-improvised brilliance. One of my favourite tracks to this day. Infinitely depressing but hopeful at the bottom of it. Recorded on a battered 4-track, Yorke's wife comes in to pack away shopping and you can hear the rustle of her carrier bags while Yorke seems to pour out something of himself. I love it.

8. Metal - Gary Numan

Worst example of the kind of stuff I was listening to here but still - I inexplicably started liking anything Gary Numan did before 1980. The Pleasure Principle is a pretty good album in fact. Cars is the best song on there but this one's a nice builder without being mournful, approaching "groovy" in fact in a guiltily square way.

9. Cody - Mogwai

This was just a little later on. This is a Summer 06 vintage too, but this really reminds me of my first couple of months of college. I really wasn't in the right frame of mind for it and I was pretty miserable for a couple of months to tell the truth, probably up until about the end of November when my life changed pretty fundamentally and I started moving again. Only a month before I registered here, too, it seems like forever ago. I'd sit playing Simcity 3000 in the dark when I got home while I worked my way through 4 of Mogwai's albums and 3 of Sigur Ros's. And gave them repeat listens. This is the best thing by either of them.

10. It Ended on an Oily Stage - British Sea Power

This one's twofold. March last year I was on a geology trip. British Sea Power can be pretty grounded in nature anyway, but when you listen to this album repeatedly whilst spending a week driving around fields in Wales in a coach it becomes something epic. Open Season is a fantastic album, really as good as their first in a different way, possibly even better. This album was also my "walking home" album for about 3 weeks about 6 months ago, I got a lot of milage out of it. So not only do I get epic landscape but a brisk walk down New Walk as well. I love this song and this album.

11. Romantic Rights - DFA1979

Like I mentioned, Spring last year was really the first time I felt like an actual person in ages, I really can't believe it's that long ago. I've done about 10 years maturing since then and my mental age is still only just getting up to about 14. With that game a kind of rejection of all this prissy crap for a couple of months. This album has serious testicles.

12. Debaser - Pixies

Similar to the above. Difficult to write about this song. It's so obviously incredible and one of the best guitar tracks of all time but you have to get onto a wavelength to listen to the Pixies. I listened to Bossanova about 3 times and didn't like it before I clicked with Doolittle and came back to it. I still can't listen to any of their other albums and enjoy myself.

13. Bad Weekend - Art Brut

I love both their albums and could have named anything, especially "Modern Art" which is absolutely fantastic, but I chose this because the line "I saved up so much money to spend/And all I could afford was a Bad Weekend" really resonates with me for some reason. Happiness is other people dudes, and not in the emo "i hate my life" way, either.

14. In the Aeroplane Over the Sea - Neutral Milk Hotel

I started listening to this album about 6 months before I realised how brilliant it is. It sneaks up on you. It sounds like some guy singing some clumsy, dense metaphors a little too loud over fuzzy folk music at first. I'd put it on when I wanted something a little quieter, started quite enjoying the first half of the album, so I'd play it a little more. Eventually you're sat there and something crumbles and all this guys hopes and fears are suddenly wordlessly comprehendable, it's quite remarkable. The internet is just as full of people who think this is the best album of all time as people who can't work out what the fuss is about, it's really weird. Again I love this entire album but I've gone for the one with the most direct lyrics.

"And one day we will die

And our ashes will fly from the aeroplane over the sea

But for now we are young

Let us lay in the sun

And count every beautiful thing we can see......

Can't believe how strange it is to be anything at all"

When I realised I liked this for its profoundity and not because it depressed me I felt a lot better, too, very suddenly.

15. Interpol - NYC

I was going to leave it there but I just realised I left out something I've loved for years, this is sweeping and tender but not soppy. I listened to this album at 7am having just woken up about 3 years ago. It's so laid back but tense at the same time, it was just perfect for about 50 minutes, absolutely perfect.

2. The Nurse Who Loved Me - A Perfect Circle

I just listened to this again for the first time in about 18 months, jesus christ. It's not that special and I really don't like A Perfect Circle, but it still means a lot to me. Some girl I used to talk to the internet when I was 14 sent this to me, I didn't listen to it for 6 months after that, but when I did I remember the feeling clear as day, I was almost paralysed and tingly all over, really strange, literally semi-orgasmic. It takes me right back to being a mixed up young teen coming up to his SATs. This was a deal before I listened to music a lot, but it was my first exposure to properly "pretty" music and it knocked me back.

That song has something about it that makes me really uncomfortable. But it still manages to attract the listener. I really don't know what to make of it. Have you heard the original version by Failure?

ps. thought you were older than that :unsure:

That song has something about it that makes me really uncomfortable. But it still manages to attract the listener. I really don't know what to make of it. Have you heard the original version by Failure?

ps. thought you were older than that :unsure:

I get this too much, thats weird. I'm 19 in 10 days.

It is kind of unsettling, but lyrically more than anything. There's another version?

This is basically a VERY brief history of my musical journey missing out some massive chunks though..

Beastie Boys – No sleep till Brooklyn

First album I ever purchased was License to ill when I was about 10 and I have loved the Beastie Boys ever since and still do!!

Fugazi – Waiting Room

That bassline is just soooooo good as soon as I heard it I just loved the sound and started a love affair with Dischord records. This was the song that changed the direction of my music taste forever.

Girls Against Boys – In Like Flynn

2 bass players, dark, powerful yet sublime music with Scott Mclouds vocals sounding like a man who smoked 80fags a day brilliant band that were popular for about 10minutes once saw them live in total darkness

Bad Religion – What can you do

Suffer has to be one of the best albums ever 15 songs in 30 minutes a great punk album with a political edge.

Screeching Weasel – My Brain Hurts

Not only my favourite band name but a brilliant band fast pop punk before it was famous

The Clash – The Guns of Brixton

I just love the Rock/reggae fusion that the Clash blend the dub bassline that goes with this song is just brilliant

Junior Murvin – Police and Thieves

from the studio of Lee Scratch Perry and covered by The Clash this is just a brilliant song.

Max Romeo – Chase the Devil

as above brilliant production from Lee Scratch Perry, later to be made famous by the prodigy.

The Beta Band – Needles in my eyes

just listen to it it’s simply brilliant.

The Disposable Heroes of HipHoprisy – Music and Politics

Could have been California or TV but this is one of my favourite songs of this great album Michael Franti at his best

Leftfield/Lydon – Open up

What a song and a great 90’s album the power of Lydons vocals and the bass of Leftfield was a perfect match.

Massive Attack – Hymn of the Big Wheel

Massive Attack and Horace Andy what more could you ask for.

Air – All I need

I hate Sexy Boy but the rest of the album is brilliant and this is a perfect example of a wonderful chillout song

Alex Reece – Pulp Fiction

I just love this song it’s just so good the bassline at the beginning the trumpet throughout

Roni Size – Heroes

this song is just immense amazing song from an amazing album that still imo sounds as fresh today as when it came out 10years ago

DJ Shadow – Midnight in a Perfect world ( Gab remix)

Has to be the Gift of the Gab remix!!

Jurassic 5 – Concrete Schoolyard

WOW this song has to go down as an all time classic EVERYTHING about this song is perfect the rhymes, the beats, the amazing sample, it doesn’t get any better than this.

Rae and Christian –Anything you want

Great album as good as it gets for a debut album then just vanished never to be heard of again still an amazing album today and a must for any collection

Bob Dylan – Girl from the north country

Bit of hit and miss for me with Dylan I seem to like his early raw stuff music best and this is just brilliant

Johnny Cash – Hurt

I just love this song the way Cash covered this song by NIN and turned it into a song you can’t imagine anyone else doing, he made it his own the video is pretty special as well.

That will do before I bore the life out of you would have liked to included some of the following..

Rocket from the Crypt, The Flaming Lips, De La Soul, Mercury Rev, The Weakerthans, NOFX, Rancid, DJ Krush, Mo’wax, Ninja Tunes, Solesides, Quannum, 4hero more Dischord bands like Nation of Ulysses, Jawbox and and about another million artists

Roni Size – Heroes

this song is just immense amazing song from an amazing album that still imo sounds as fresh today as when it came out 10years ago

DJ Shadow – Midnight in a Perfect world ( Gab remix)

Has to be the Gift of the Gab remix!!

Rae and Christian –Anything you want

Great album as good as it gets for a debut album then just vanished never to be heard of again still an amazing album today and a must for any collection

You've just made me go and dig out New Forms. Heroes, Watching Windows and of course, Brown Paper Bag - what tunes, amazing album.

Gift of the Gab remix of Midnight in a Perfect World - WHAAAAT?!?!?!?!

Rae & Christian - so few people seem to know of these but Northern Sulphuric Soul was just about perfect.

You've just made me go and dig out New Forms. Heroes, Watching Windows and of course, Brown Paper Bag - what tunes, amazing album.

Gift of the Gab remix of Midnight in a Perfect World - WHAAAAT?!?!?!?!

Rae & Christian - so few people seem to know of these but Northern Sulphuric Soul was just about perfect.

It's a remix version of the song featuring gift of the gab from Blackalicious talking throughout I love will upload it sometime as for Rae and Christian they are brill I can't believe they are so unknown!! listened to aims cold water music today which was on grand central haven't listened to it for ages but its very good and similar to Rae and Christian have you heard that album before?

It's a remix version of the song featuring gift of the gab from Blackalicious talking throughout I love will upload it sometime as for Rae and Christian they are brill I can't believe they are so unknown!! listened to aims cold water music today which was on grand central haven't listened to it for ages but its very good and similar to Rae and Christian have you heard that album before?

Of course! Cold Water Music was another one we used to love during A-Level days. There's loads of Grand Central mixes as well. Central Heating volumes 1 and 2, plus the Mixmag mix by Rae & Christian which is AMAZING. Then there was stuff like Fingathing, Mr Scruff etc, all kind of doing a similar sort of thing. Shame it's all kind of disappeared really.

Of course! Cold Water Music was another one we used to love during A-Level days. There's loads of Grand Central mixes as well. Central Heating volumes 1 and 2, plus the Mixmag mix by Rae & Christian which is AMAZING. Then there was stuff like Fingathing, Mr Scruff etc, all kind of doing a similar sort of thing. Shame it's all kind of disappeared really.

didn't they screw the tax man and got closed down? which I presume means most of the records are difficult to find and out of print

8. Dr. Dre - The Next Episode

We used to rinse this album during A-Levels. Go round to a house, set up Goldeneye and Wrestlemania, load the bong and stick on some Dre. Great days, really great days. The lyrics amused us and the production is typically crisp.

Just listened to this on my new headphones.

When the beat drops after the intro, It really did have me excited.

Love those albums.

Managed to find some Tony D since then but nothing else. Any recommendations?

Love those albums.

Managed to find some Tony D since then but nothing else. Any recommendations?

Not sure what you already have but...

Rae & Christian - Northern Sulphuric Soul

Rae & Christian - Blazing the Crop (Mixmag compilation)

AIM - Cold Water Music

AIM - Hinterland

Various - Grand Central Volumes 1-3

Various - Ordered from the Catalogue

And then stuff by the likes of Only Child and Fingathing. Also Mark Rae has done some solo mix albums which are worth looking out for.

Just seen Northern Sulphuric Soul was nominated for a Mercury Music Prize when it was released. And still no one really knows about it!

Here's a few iscribbled down on the bus. I'msure i'll edit this later wheni remember a trackisimply should never have left off the list.

1. All My Best Friends Are Metalheads - Less Than Jake - The first band i ever saw headline at Extreme Festival 2000. I was 13 and was convinced i had the greatest contact high. I still love this to this day.

2. Born In The USA - Bruce Springsteen - A song i used to play to death in the car with my Dad. Great to croak along to.

3. Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now - The Smiths - Simply put, my favourite song. Ever.

4. Boy's Don't Cry - The Cure - The first song that my iPod spat out at me and all i could hear in my head when one of my exes broke up with me. God i was emo.

5. Driftwood - Travis - The best track from the first album i ever owned on cassette.

6. Points Of Authority - Linkin Park - The only good song from the first album i owned on CD.

7. Hash Pipe - Weezer - The soundtrack to my skating days. Still a classic.

8. Six Queens - Larrikin Love - Yes i'm aware it's about being gay but this is a fooking brilliant song and the lyrics always struck me - 'I was a boy who yearned to be a cover girl'. Will always love this song.

9. Anna - The Voom Blooms - The most underated song in the world ever.

10. Konstantine - Something Corporate - The most amazing 12 minute epic ever.

11. Such Great Heights - The Postal Service - The song that hooked me into an Indie world.

12. 70x7 - Brand New - I used to have the lyrics to this pinned up on my wall when i was an angry young emo.

13. Bessame Mucho - Dan Sartain - Impossible to find anywhere but to hear this is to taste God's vagina.

14. Brat Pack - The Rocket Summer - Many a paper round was spent merrily singing along to this on my mini disc player.

15. I Liked You Better Before You Were Naked On The Internet- From First To Last - 'To you I'm like a flavor that wouldn't last, You took one bite and spat me out real fast'

16. I Won't Spend Another Night Alone - The Ataris - I sang this to a girl once. I'm starting to see the emo thing now actually.

17. Alison - Elvis Costello - Classic, a slice of pop heaven and probably the great man's finest work.

18. Run - Snow Patrol - Brilliant song i've played to death. Still gives me chills.

19. We Are Your Friends - Justice Vs Simian - So many uni memories based around this song. Love it to bits. I know JTB already stole this but i had to include it too. It was between this and 'It's A Hit' by WAS which had also already been taken.

20. General Smuts - The Libertines - Natch.

That's quite varied actually and also quite emo too. Oh dear.

My missus would kill me for forgetting theses 5 which remind me of her.

21. If You'll Be My Star - Gregory And The Hawk - Our song. By which i mean if i play this when were alone im getting me some Bom Chika Wow Wow.

22. Inaction - We Are Scientists - Our post relationship song. 'Lying Next To Me In All Of Your Clothes'

23. Screaming Infidelities - Dashboard Confessional - There's a line in it about 'Your Hair Is Everywhere' - nothing to do with the infidelity bit. I'm not convinced she understands what the song is about.

24. Two Left Feet - The Holloways - Reminds me of all the time we've seen these live together. Thinking about it i've seen these more than any other band i think. Fall Out Boy come close. I'm ashamed to say that.

25. Anyone Else But You - The Moldy Peaches - Because i needed a fifth to round off the numbers and because this made me think of her when i watched Juno.

I've just realised that I didn't directly dedicate any of the songs on my album to my girlfriend. I've been with her for nearly 7 years! I'm a c**t.

Here's one:

MOP - Ante Up

Not a particularly romantic song but she bought me it on vinyl. I like girls that they know what they're doing when it comes to music.

My missus would kill me for forgetting theses 5 which remind me of her.

21. If You'll Be My Star - Gregory And The Hawk - Our song. By which i mean if i play this when were alone im getting me some Bom Chika Wow Wow.

22. Inaction - We Are Scientists - Our post relationship song. 'Lying Next To Me In All Of Your Clothes'

23. Screaming Infidelities - Dashboard Confessional - There's a line in it about 'Your Hair Is Everywhere' - nothing to do with the infidelity bit. I'm not convinced she understands what the song is about.

24. Two Left Feet - The Holloways - Reminds me of all the time we've seen these live together. Thinking about it i've seen these more than any other band i think. Fall Out Boy come close. I'm ashamed to say that.

25. Anyone Else But You - The Moldy Peaches - Because i needed a fifth to round off the numbers and because this made me think of her when i watched Juno.

Did she tell you that these songs remind you of her? :whistle:

I've just realised that I didn't directly dedicate any of the songs on my album to my girlfriend. I've been with her for nearly 7 years! I'm a c**t.

Here's one:

MOP - Ante Up

Not a particularly romantic song but she bought me it on vinyl. I like girls that they know what they're doing when it comes to music.

That's exactly what i just did hahaha!

Did she tell you that these songs remind you of her? :whistle:

Im literally THAT pussy whipped lol

Archived