Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ric Flair

A Creative Midfielder

Mark Davies over the past month has shown us that with a player of his ilk, we as a team are far more dangerous going forward and the amount of goals we have scored since he has been in the team has shown that. We often struggled to score more than 2 goals a game, but in the month he was here we scored 3 times on 2 occasions and 4 goals against the form side of the league bar ourselves.

It appears Davies might not be coming back, which is a massive shame. It hurts as much as the Fulop saga, I actually think Davies has the ability to be a Premiership player and therefore I cannot understand why McCarthy would let him go. But it's times like this when as a manager for a club with an odd chairman, you'd ask to tempt Wolves with a £1.5 million bid. More than he is realistically worth right now given his injuries and lack of football, but not as much of a gamble as it might seem. Wolves might be tempted with something like that, it would give them enough cash for O'Toole. I honestly think Davies is destined for big things and I want him here.

Failing that though and I think this is the likely scenario, we must look at bringing in another creative midfielder. Someone who breaks in to the box, pushed defences backwards and gives us a different dimension to King, Berner and Oakley who all have flourished playing alongside Davies. King has a knack for goals, which is brilliant and it takes the heat off some of our other players but we need a gifted playmaker to play alongside him.

I hope Pearson hasn't under estimated the impact Davies has had here and the style of play he brings to this already well oiled team because I don't want us getting promoted with a whimper, I want us to maintain this run we are on and get better and stronger and make a statement to the teams in The Championship. It's not just about this season, it's about the future too.

In the past, the players we've signed in January haven't performed for us, but we're a different beast this season and there's no reason why 1 or 2 couldn't fit in and have a big impact for us. I'm not as concerned about up front as I am with central midfield, another striker would be nice but DJ and Dickov haven't been needed this season and unless that situation changes a new striker would only be kicking his heels here and getting frustrated. There is the loan system after all if need be.

So to clarify if you aren't already aware, we need Mark Davies or someone like him if there is one about who would come to us within our price range.

Damn you Mark Davies for being so good!!!

Davies is exactly the kind of player we've needed and many of us have said has been needed for years.

I'm not sure that Davies has done any more than Kingy to bring the best out of others but it does seem that Pearson likes to use King as the fulcrum (with an option to go forward when needed) releasing the likes of Davies and Oakley to take more risks.

Davies has exactly the role I think is most suited to Porter but that's not likely to happen and it would quite possibly not work any longer anyway.

Why? Two problems. What has gone on won't have helped Porter's confidence and he'll forever be compared with fans favourite Davies which is a battle I doubt he'd win whatever he does.

And whatever he did would have to happen in an instant. Not in a month or so when he's readjusted to having missed over a year's football.

So, seeing I still think Porter would be better off leaving for his career's sake and I don't think there's any other options at the club, MM might as well make a tempting enough offer for Davies's services either as a loanee or otherwise. Because I don't think comparable alternatives are readily available at Division One level.

Certainly City haven't found any in recent seasons. Williams was meant to be but in reality the bloke was a constant disappointment and another who was forever injured, as he has been since.

It's not an easy ask. Modern football is nothing if not fast and to find someone who can find time to play creative football in a

setting filled with hussle and bussle and to do it consistently week in, week out, requires talent rarely found at our level and a durability that is equally elusive.

Much could depend on us making the right moves over this one.

Davies has exactly the role I think is most suited to Porter but that's not likely to happen and it would quite possibly not work any longer anyway.

Why? Two problems. What has gone on won't have helped Porter's confidence and he'll forever be compared with fans favourite Davies which is a battle I doubt he'd win whatever he does.

Correct, Davies = twice the player of Porter

Mark Davies over the past month has shown us that with a player of his ilk, we as a team are far more dangerous going forward and the amount of goals we have scored since he has been in the team has shown that. We often struggled to score more than 2 goals a game, but in the month he was here we scored 3 times on 2 occasions and 4 goals against the form side of the league bar ourselves.

It appears Davies might not be coming back, which is a massive shame. It hurts as much as the Fulop saga, I actually think Davies has the ability to be a Premiership player and therefore I cannot understand why McCarthy would let him go. But it's times like this when as a manager for a club with an odd chairman, you'd ask to tempt Wolves with a £1.5 million bid. More than he is realistically worth right now given his injuries and lack of football, but not as much of a gamble as it might seem. Wolves might be tempted with something like that, it would give them enough cash for O'Toole. I honestly think Davies is destined for big things and I want him here.

Failing that though and I think this is the likely scenario, we must look at bringing in another creative midfielder. Someone who breaks in to the box, pushed defences backwards and gives us a different dimension to King, Berner and Oakley who all have flourished playing alongside Davies. King has a knack for goals, which is brilliant and it takes the heat off some of our other players but we need a gifted playmaker to play alongside him.

I hope Pearson hasn't under estimated the impact Davies has had here and the style of play he brings to this already well oiled team because I don't want us getting promoted with a whimper, I want us to maintain this run we are on and get better and stronger and make a statement to the teams in The Championship. It's not just about this season, it's about the future too.

In the past, the players we've signed in January haven't performed for us, but we're a different beast this season and there's no reason why 1 or 2 couldn't fit in and have a big impact for us. I'm not as concerned about up front as I am with central midfield, another striker would be nice but DJ and Dickov haven't been needed this season and unless that situation changes a new striker would only be kicking his heels here and getting frustrated. There is the loan system after all if need be.

So to clarify if you aren't already aware, we need Mark Davies or someone like him if there is one about who would come to us within our price range.

Damn you Mark Davies for being so good!!!

Brilliant summary there Ric.

Davies adds another dimension to midfield that would bode well not just in League 1, but in the Championship, and dare I say it, the big league too.

The problem is I fear we will go on to sign a player similar to say Steve Jennings who wont really have the ability to shine at Championship level next year. Splashing the cash to get someone like Davies may be the right idea on this one for the long-term.

Davies is exactly the kind of player we've needed and many of us have said has been needed for years.

I'm not sure that Davies has done any more than Kingy to bring the best out of others but it does seem that Pearson likes to use King as the fulcrum (with an option to go forward when needed) releasing the likes of Davies and Oakley to take more risks.

And whatever he did would have to happen in an instant. Not in a month or so when he's readjusted to having missed over a year's football.

So, seeing I still think Porter would be better off leaving for his career's sake and I don't think there's any other options at the club, MM might as well make a tempting enough offer for Davies's services either as a loanee or otherwise. Because I don't think comparable alternatives are readily available at Division One level.

Certainly City haven't found any in recent seasons. Williams was meant to be but in reality the bloke was a constant disappointment and another who was forever injured, as he has been since.

It's not an easy ask. Modern football is nothing if not fast and to find someone who can find time to play creative football in a

setting filled with hussle and bussle and to do it consistently week in, week out, requires talent rarely found at our level and a durability that is equally elusive.

Much could depend on us making the right moves over this one.

I appreciate what you are saying, but I still have question marks over Porter's ability to make a telling impact in the centre. I know you think otherwise, but i'm not as confident. I'd give him a go though if we don't bring anyone else in.

Davies is different class, i've not seen a central midfielder with as much pace and ability to go past opposition at Leicester since Izzet and even Muzzle wasn't naturally quick, just had a good turn of pace.

King has been brilliant this season, but again I see him more of a Michael Carrick type player, but with the ability to get in to scoring positions due to his height and awareness. He is creative, but he doesn't have the pace or guile that Davies has. Together they are mustard at this level.

Correct, Davies = twice the player of Porter

That's the sort of comment I'd expect from fans who didn't want King in midfield either.

I wonder how many times you've watched him play in central midfield.

I'll say this though. Even with a season out injured Porter has played more games in the Championship than Davies has managed in Division One or any other sort of football these last three seasons.

So, although I'm a fan of Davies, it might be prudent to wait awhile before casting him as superman.

That's the sort of comment I'd expect from fans who didn't want King in midfield either.

I wonder how many times you've watched him play in central midfield.

I'll say this though. Even with a season out injured Porter has played more games in the Championship than Davies has managed in Division One or any other sort of football these last three seasons.

So, although I'm a fan of Davies, it might be prudent to wait awhile before casting him as superman.

You need to earn your place in the team, Porter clearly isn't doing that which is why he isn't being selected. More than we know goes on at the club and I trust Pearson has solid foundations for not picking him.

As for seeing him in central midfield no I havn't to a great extent at all but then again that's becasue when he has played there it's mainly been for the reserves, which is irrelevant anyway as reserve team football isn't even up to conference north standard in my opinion.

Chancing him in a season where we are top and have lots to play for is not something I would recomend although I admit it may have been wise to play him last weekend. Let's hope he gets a game in the replay to prove his worth, if he has any :rolleyes:

You need to earn your place in the team, Porter clearly isn't doing that which is why he isn't being selected. More than we know goes on at the club and I trust Pearson has solid foundations for not picking him.

As for seeing him in central midfield no I havn't to a great extent at all but then again that's becasue when he has played there it's mainly been for the reserves, which is irrelevant anyway as reserve team football isn't even up to conference north standard in my opinion.

Chancing him in a season where we are top and have lots to play for is not something I would recomend although I admit it may have been wise to play him last weekend. Let's hope he gets a game in the replay to prove his worth, if he has any :rolleyes:

You and I have no idea why he hasn't been selected. But, with his complete disappearance from even the bench and his time awol, a good many of us think there's been more to it than just football.

And while you are right that the only times I've seen Porter play in midfield have been in the reserves or in friendlies, and while I've never suggested reserves football is Divison One standard, I've also seen Porter play as a winger in the reserves.

He was good at both but he was better in the centre of midfield. Apart from once, that is. Cos his first game he was truly awful and I wondered why he'd been played there. But thereafter he improved dramatically to the point where he controlled games.

Whether he could do it now or in Division One I don't know. But it might be nice to find out even if he's only earmarked as a bench option. In fact you might have thought the opportunity would have been taken against Palace.

i do find it strange that certain posters are already giving davies the status of a good championship/tolerable premiership player after a few outstanding performances in an already confiident team in L1, yet an awful lot of people here are still adamant that fryatt will be crap if we go up next year...

no doubt the justification would rely heavily on fryatt's form last season, but equally, if davies is so good at championship level, how come he's playing at L1 level.

i, as much as anyone would love to sign him if he is as good as people suggest, i trust flair on that, but there are shades of desperation and messiah-hunting at play here... just be careful what you wish for... what you have seen maybe impressive but that doesn't make him the next muzzy (even tho people were talking of king in the same tones earlier in the season)

have faith, people of leicester, for one day your messiah may come, maybe or maybe not from wolverhapton....

i do find it strange that certain posters are already giving davies the status of a good championship/tolerable premiership player after a few outstanding performances in an already confiident team in L1, yet an awful lot of people here are still adamant that fryatt will be crap if we go up next year...

no doubt the justification would rely heavily on fryatt's form last season, but equally, if davies is so good at championship level, how come he's playing at L1 level.

i, as much as anyone would love to sign him if he is as good as people suggest, i trust flair on that, but there are shades of desperation and messiah-hunting at play here... just be careful what you wish for... what you have seen maybe impressive but that doesn't make him the next muzzy (even tho people were talking of king in the same tones earlier in the season)

have faith, people of leicester, for one day your messiah may come, maybe or maybe not from wolverhapton....

hes not the messiah hes a very naughty boy! lol

great post and totally agree, just the same as the way people have turned on dyer because he hasnt been scoring as regularly as he was, nobody expected him to play as well as he has but thats leicester fans for you. if wed won the treble in the premiership im sure wed find something wrong!

Absolutely, I have no guarantee Davies is as good as we think he could be, or shall I say, I think he could be. I'm often wrong. But Wolves fans will tell you, there's no doubting his talent, it's the injuries he's had that have put his career back a good year or two. But Davies himself is adamant that those injuries are well and truely behind him and only time will tell. We know with Wesolowski though that some players however talented they are, are destined to struggle and probably never fulfill their potential.

What has just dawned on me though is we have signed probably the most creative player in League Two last season in terms of goals and assists in Nicky Adams. Still yet to see him in his supposed best role, central midfield.

It's one of those irritating situations where we would probably accept the manager's reasoning if only we knew why he wasn't being used in that way... bit like Kaebi, if only we'd all been told what the frig was going on about him noone probably would have ever mentioned him. I trust that Pearson has his reasons to not play Adams centrally after signing him after a season where he was outstanding as a central midfielder, I'd just love to know why.

Personally, Gareth Williams was technically brilliant.

He was the best passer of the ball outside of the Premier Division.

His control was superb.

His finishing was pretty good.

The only thing was, his defending part of his attributes.

I see Andy King, like the player Gareth Williams once was, good passer, good finisher, but can't really tackle.

Then again, there is only a few players that can pass a ball, finish and defend.

The likes of Stevie G and Micheal Carrick.

I used to love seeing Williams spray the ball accros the pitch during training and the other player not needing to move because the ball was that good, and when the player returned the ball, 9 times out of 10, it would be 10 miles away from Williams' foot.

Archived