Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Cropwellfox

Jack Hobbs staying around?

From today's NOTW, would be great if we could get the lad to stay on...

JACK HOBBS STAYS AT LEICESTER

Liverpool defender ready to make permanent move

17/01/2009

LIVERPOOL defender Jack Hobbs looks like staying at League One Leicester.

Hobbs, 20, out of contract in June, has impressed Foxes boss Nigel Pearson since signing on a season-long loan in the summer.

Leicester want to thrash out a deal for the player in the current transfer window — wary that Wolves and Derby are ready to pounce.

From today's NOTW, would be great if we could get the lad to stay on...

JACK HOBBS STAYS AT LEICESTER

Liverpool defender ready to make permanent move

17/01/2009

LIVERPOOL defender Jack Hobbs looks like staying at League One Leicester.

Hobbs, 20, out of contract in June, has impressed Foxes boss Nigel Pearson since signing on a season-long loan in the summer.

Leicester want to thrash out a deal for the player in the current transfer window — wary that Wolves and Derby are ready to pounce.

I thought he had signed a 3 year deal in pre season? Good old NOTW :thumbup:

The problem with all these loan players is the fact that they'll all leave at the end of the season meaning we've got to start again from scratch or we buy all these players next season using up all our transfer kitty not giving us a chance to strengthen our current squad.

The problem with all these loan players is the fact that they'll all leave at the end of the season meaning we've got to start again from scratch or we buy all these players next season using up all our transfer kitty not giving us a chance to strengthen our current squad.

That has not worried Nige this season. :unsure:

Although what you say is obviously valid, it's a negative way of looking at things. We've got some really quality players for this level on loan and crucially, most of them are for the whole season as opposed to the one-month stop-gaps that teams like Northampton have been dealing in (they are down to around 14 proper senior players now all their loanees have gone back).

Also, they're all young players who could build a career with us if we sign them permanently, unlike Leeds signing Trundle and Naylor on loan in a short-term bid for success.

I think if we get promoted then we'll definitely be in a strong position to sign Gilbert and possibly Hobbs and Davies although their futures are anyone's guess at the moment.

I remember wondering in the summer why we'd signed Gilbert when we already had Chambers but it was an absolute masterstroke. His career was going nowhere after his aborted loan with Southend.

Although what you say is obviously valid, it's a negative way of looking at things. We've got some really quality players for this level on loan and crucially, most of them are for the whole season as opposed to the one-month stop-gaps that teams like Northampton have been dealing in (they are down to around 14 proper senior players now all their loanees have gone back).

Also, they're all young players who could build a career with us if we sign them permanently, unlike Leeds signing Trundle and Naylor on loan in a short-term bid for success.

I think if we get promoted then we'll definitely be in a strong position to sign Gilbert and possibly Hobbs and Davies although their futures are anyone's guess at the moment.

I remember wondering in the summer why we'd signed Gilbert when we already had Chambers but it was an absolute masterstroke. His career was going nowhere after his aborted loan with Southend.

Don't get me wrong, I've absolutely no complaints about any of the loan signings, they've all been top drawer. I just worry about the long term.

Howard will suffice for this season but next season, promotion or not, we need someone younger/ faster/ better. I doubt if Powell will have another season with us, meaning we need some cover at left back. Edworthy could be the same.

We could just get in another batch of premiership starlets on loan again next season but there's no guarantee that they will all be as successful and then we'd have the same problem again at the end of next season.

Don't get me wrong, I've absolutely no complaints about any of the loan signings, they've all been top drawer. I just worry about the long term.

Howard will suffice for this season but next season, promotion or not, we need someone younger/ faster/ better. I doubt if Powell will have another season with us, meaning we need some cover at left back. Edworthy could be the same.

We could just get in another batch of premiership starlets on loan again next season but there's no guarantee that they will all be as successful and then we'd have the same problem again at the end of next season.

I think most teams will have three or four players who need replacing, and most teams who have a very good chance of promotion will be looking at replacing more than that. It's the nature of the beast, we'll have to replace players to compete at Championship level. For every Powell there's a King, for every Howard there's a Fryatt, for every Edworthy there's a Dyer. Yes we'd probably need a new striker or two (think we need one now to be honest) if we went up and cover at full-back but that's to be expected. This is arguably the best squad of players League One has ever seen and the points total reflects that.

To add to that, and this is probably the most important point of all, wholesale changes only seem to be picked up on when they go wrong. Martin, Gilbert, Hobbs, Tunchev, Powell, Oakley, King, Davies, Dyer, Fryatt, Howard is arguably our best/current first XI and only one of those players has been with the club longer than 12 months. As long as you have a manager who knows what he's doing, which luckily for us Pearson seems to, then there's nothing wrong with major personnel changes.

I'm sure knowitall said in one of his previous posts that he has signed a 3-year contract with Liverpool.

Well Hobbs seems to think he's only got 12 months left at Liverpool after this year...

Scource skysports.com

"I'm here until the end of the season and I'm in a winning side," said Hobbs in the Daily Star. "I'm developing well as a player.

"My main aim is to do well for Leicester and then I will go back to Liverpool in the summer.

"I can't tell you what will happen in the future, but I'm just focused on this season.

"I've got another year at Liverpool and we'll cross that bridge when we come to it."

I'm not sure either Hobbs or Gilbert will make it at Liverpool and Arsenal respectively. If we go up I can easily see both of them signing for another season on loan, or if their managers really don't want them letting them sign permanently for us.

Davies is the one I'm most concerned about - If Wolves go up I reckon we have a chance of signing him, if they don't I fear Wolves will take him back and realise how good he could be.

As for next season, it all depends on the transfer budget, NP seems to like a good blend of youth and experience. A better/younger Howard type forward is a must.

Archived