Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
colbo68

Short-termist Pearson?

I personally reckon we'll have a go at signing Hobbs, Martin and Gilbert.

The loan system is increasingly becoming a useful tool in getting British lads experience lower down the ladder, let's remember that L1/2 teams in the main have extremely small squads and of late, we have seen more loanees joining the clubs upon completion.

At the end of the day, certain young lads are not good enough and secondly, if we attempted to sign the likes of Hobbs etc. from the off without a loan deal, we just haven't got the pull in this division - so take them on loan and getting them enjoying their footy, they will want to join ie. Gilbert.

On these academy prospects, City have been attempting to get them loan, sending them to trials, having open attendance reserve matches but no-one's picking them up bar a few? So it's hardly just Pearson who doesn't think much of them. Pearson tbh is one of the few who thought something of King.

Nigel Pearson... the man who has got us where we are.

You do have to wonder why Dickov is making the bench all the time?

Maybe Chambers is really shit in training? Maybe he dry-humped Pearson's dog while high on crack? Who knows? :dunno:

Maybe Chambers is really shit in training? Maybe he dry-humped Pearson's dog while high on crack? Who knows? :dunno:

Exactly, nobody knows. Which is exactly why I will never judge someone on things like that. There could be a multitude of reasons for it.

If radio leicester or the merc had anyone that actually resembled a sports reporter, and not just yes men, we might know the answer. It only takes one question... "Nigel, many fans would like to see a couple of youngsters on the bench rather than older players. Could you tell us what you think Hayles and Dickov give us over Gradel and Chambers". Now, you might not get an answer, but at least ask the questions the fans are asking.

Personally I can probably understand more why Hayles is there than Dickov. People have said we lacked a target man when Howard was missing, Hayles is about the closest thing we have to one.

You do have to wonder why Dickov is making the bench all the time?

Could it possibly be because the decision to sign him (on a TWO-year contract! :o ) may not have been entirely made by the manager alone?

Only Pearson himself can explain, and clearly he chooses not to. But, hey, let's indulge in some cheap racial stereotyping in the meantime...

Could it possibly be because the decision to sign him (on a TWO-year contract! :o ) may not have been entirely made by the manager alone?

Only Pearson himself can explain, and clearly he chooses not to. But, hey, let's indulge in some cheap racial stereotyping in the meantime...

Sometimes you can be a total tit - there was no racial stereotyping outside of your head. Get a grip.

None of the signings have been made by the manager alone, as surprising as this revelation may come.

Nigel Pearson... the man who has got us where we are.

Fair point and I wasn't criticising Pearson. I was just pointing out that this thread was no more moronic than the 'I've just been for a shit' thread that some on here think verges on genius.

Fair point and I wasn't criticising Pearson. I was just pointing out that this thread was no more moronic than the 'I've just been for a shit' thread that some on here think verges on genius.

There's nothing wrong with the thread, I don't have a problem with it. Only that it's a bit harsh, but that's just my view.

So it's hardly just Pearson who doesn't think much of them. Pearson tbh is one of the few who thought something of King.

Apart from Holloway, who had his own way of thinking, that's never been my impression.

Kingy seems to have been highly regarded within the club for a long time.

better to take loanee's than signing poeple who look decent for a couple games then turn out crap.

elvis is one example but there are many these past seasons.

the manager is judged on winning matches , this he is doing and must continue to do.

pearson knows this and isnt going to shoot himself in the foot by building a team that is going to lose matches.

next season he will buy , sell and take loanees again , what ever it takes to win and keep himself a football manager.

unlike poeple like holloway who talk a good game.

better to take loanee's than signing poeple who look decent for a couple games then turn out crap.

elvis is one example but there are many these past seasons.

the manager is judged on winning matches , this he is doing and must continue to do.

pearson knows this and isnt going to shoot himself in the foot by building a team that is going to lose matches.

next season he will buy , sell and take loanees again , what ever it takes to win and keep himself a football manager.

unlike poeple like holloway who talk a good game.

Blimey I must have missed that!

Apart from Holloway, who had his own way of thinking, that's never been my impression.

Kingy seems to have been highly regarded within the club for a long time.

I'll clarify that I meant the fans rather than the management team. The same fans who seem to think it's better fielding youngsters when there's a fine management team in position.

If Mandaric (and let's be honest, it's his club and would be his decision) decided it would be in Leicester's interests to focus on blooding youngsters into League One this season, he would have had to get buy-in from the manager and the fans. In effect, we would probably have to write off results (and a realistic prospect of promotion) this season in favour of playing youth players to give them "experience".

Otherwise, if we'd got to the end of September with a load of youth players and were languishing in the bottom half, how many fans do you think would be happy given start of season expectations? There would be calls for Madaric to spend money, the manager to go etc.

Alternatively, we can do what we have done - look at results first but also assess the whole squad and give a chance to those (e.g. King) where possible. Pearson's also had Chambers and one or two other youngsters involved in first team squads and cup games. In the business of modern football, that's as much as we could hope for without completely writing off a season (or more than one).

We develop the youth players through good coaching, not through chucking them in front of an impatient and expectant crowd of 20,000 at the Walkers.

If Mandaric (and let's be honest, it's his club and would be his decision) decided it would be in Leicester's interests to focus on blooding youngsters into League One this season, he would have had to get buy-in from the manager and the fans. In effect, we would probably have to write off results (and a realistic prospect of promotion) this season in favour of playing youth players to give them "experience".

Otherwise, if we'd got to the end of September with a load of youth players and were languishing in the bottom half, how many fans do you think would be happy given start of season expectations? There would be calls for Madaric to spend money, the manager to go etc.

Alternatively, we can do what we have done - look at results first but also assess the whole squad and give a chance to those (e.g. King) where possible. Pearson's also had Chambers and one or two other youngsters involved in first team squads and cup games. In the business of modern football, that's as much as we could hope for without completely writing off a season (or more than one).

We develop the youth players through good coaching, not through chucking them in front of an impatient and expectant crowd of 20,000 at the Walkers.

:thumbup: Spot-on mate. I think the only true argument the poster has here, is why is Dickov on the bench instead of Chambers?! I think only Pearson knows that and I'm not prepared to criticise him on it. Perhaps Dickov looks sharp in training or Chambers really doesn't.

I think we have the perfect blend of experience, youngsters and loaness. He has built a team that potentially in the Championship could be performing well. People seem to think we are totally reliant on our loanees, however look at some of the players we have on permanent deals playing so well - King, Tunchev, Morrison, Mattock, Fryatt, Oakley, Berner, Howard, Gradel and Dyer!

There is no reason to replace any of our first teamers with youngsters, and pretty sure after performing so well, they wouldn't be happy being dropped either, SO the debate should not be 'Short-termist Pearson?', but should be something like 'Dickov or Chambers?'

Shock, horror - that I should be knocking King Nige at the moment......................

Despite making some great signings and getting them to punch above their weight, is anyone concerned, as I am, about Pearson's abundant loan signings?

When we got relegated on that dreadful day at Stoke last season, I turned to my mates and said "I just hope that we now begin to build a good young side that can develop over the next few seasons, play together and give us some long-term success" -I was thinking, perhaps foolhardedly, that I actually didn't mind if we didn't get straight back up form League One, just as long as we began to play some good football and could see the team improving and solidifying. My mind was, of course, particularly on Mattock and King, but I was also thinking about lads such as Ash Chambers, Lee Cox, Wesa, Cisak et al.

Although out league position speaks for itself, I do worry that Jack Hobbs will go back to Liverpool, Kerry back to Arsenal, Cleverly back to the Mancs etc. etc... If this does become the case, where is this going to leave us next season when we go up?

It may be true, as a number of people have informed me, that City could make some new loan signings next season, and some may prove productive. However, surely the best clubs, having vision and acumen for the future, nourish their young players, get them playing together and build their confidence over time.

Of course, Morrison is currently in the team (but he wouldnt be if Tunch hadn't got his injury), Mattock is starting (but he wouldnt be if Berner was fit).

Given this, I'm upset with so many loan signings - it would be great now, to my mind, to be throwing young Ash Chambers onto the bench, to be considering Wesa over Cleverly, and to give Lee Cox a few starts. If not, I just wonder what the long-term condition of the club may be?

It's a balance isn't it. We're in a results business and Nige has done a fantastic job on a shoe string - what fees have we really paid this season ? Hardly any.

If we can turn Hobbs and Martin and optimistically Cleverley into full time signings the 'loan signing' situation will have been more worthwhile.Personally I wouldn't sigh Kerrea because I don't think he's big enough or up to the Championship. Mattock will be OK for the future but I don't think Nige will persist with Levi,Wes,McKay and maybe a few more.Chambers has a lot to do for me,quick yes but so far not a great finisher.

Looking ahead to next season we will need 6-7 quality players for the Championship. It worries me that when the heat has been on in the last 2 Januaries we've missed out on Fulop,Norris and now Davies.

Sooner or later young players have to cope with those 20,000 fans and in matches that count. All the coaching in the world matters for nothing if they can't.

I don't think there is any evidence for suggesting any young players in recent seasons have appeared in the first team only to let us down

And even this season my guess is that, were all the player ratings gathered together and averaged out, the worst rating would go to a senior rather than a youngster.

In the end when it comes to youngsters it simply depends on how good they are and how they cope under pressure. In our squad today, I don't know whether the fringe players would be better than any of the current first team encumbents but I have no concerns about them not coping or significantly letting us down.

When you're in League One you have to take advantage of the loan system, and this is exactly what Pearson's done for us so far this season. I think it's fair to say it's worked extremely well in our favour, with every single one of our loanees playing a large part so far.

If we could sign them all I would right now. Anyway, it's not like it's going to be impossible to sign any of them. Martin's already stated his intentions to stay with us permanently. Gilbert, Hobbs and Cleverley are all on loan from "big four" clubs where they're unlikely to ever make it. That's not to say they definitely won't though, although I'm fairly certain this will be the case at their respective clubs where Gilbert and Cleverley are concerned.

I'm not too sure how you can complain about it really, the loan system is there for the taking. OK, these players might not be with us next season but what does it matter if we're in the Championship next year? If Pearson's tempted them in League One, there's no reason why he can't do the same in a division higher.

Hes trying to get us out of this league and back into the championship at the first attempt. Thats why we have loan players.

Hes doing it very well, get us out of this league at the first attempt, and hopefully then get us out of the Championship at the 2nd attempt :whistle:

Next season could be fantastic :P

Some fans would rather not go to the Prem with all the ridiculous money involved and no soul, but come on, thats the whole point of football, getting to the highest level you can. The Premiership is where i want Leicester to be, away trips to Emirates, Old Trafford, Anfield, Goodison, Villa Park, Newcastle is where i want to go :D

Hes trying to get us out of this league and back into the championship at the first attempt. Thats why we have loan players.

Hes doing it very well, get us out of this league at the first attempt, and hopefully then get us out of the Championship at the 2nd attempt :whistle:

Next season could be fantastic :P

Some fans would rather not go to the Prem with all the ridiculous money involved and no soul, but come on, thats the whole point of football, getting to the highest level you can. The Premiership is where i want Leicester to be, away trips to Emirates, Old Trafford, Anfield, Goodison, Villa Park, Newcastle is where i want to go :D

you wont have to wait that long for that one!!! :thumbup:

Archived