Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
colbo68

Short-termist Pearson?

Shock, horror - that I should be knocking King Nige at the moment......................

Despite making some great signings and getting them to punch above their weight, is anyone concerned, as I am, about Pearson's abundant loan signings?

When we got relegated on that dreadful day at Stoke last season, I turned to my mates and said "I just hope that we now begin to build a good young side that can develop over the next few seasons, play together and give us some long-term success" -I was thinking, perhaps foolhardedly, that I actually didn't mind if we didn't get straight back up form League One, just as long as we began to play some good football and could see the team improving and solidifying. My mind was, of course, particularly on Mattock and King, but I was also thinking about lads such as Ash Chambers, Lee Cox, Wesa, Cisak et al.

Although out league position speaks for itself, I do worry that Jack Hobbs will go back to Liverpool, Kerry back to Arsenal, Cleverly back to the Mancs etc. etc... If this does become the case, where is this going to leave us next season when we go up?

It may be true, as a number of people have informed me, that City could make some new loan signings next season, and some may prove productive. However, surely the best clubs, having vision and acumen for the future, nourish their young players, get them playing together and build their confidence over time.

Of course, Morrison is currently in the team (but he wouldnt be if Tunch hadn't got his injury), Mattock is starting (but he wouldnt be if Berner was fit).

Given this, I'm upset with so many loan signings - it would be great now, to my mind, to be throwing young Ash Chambers onto the bench, to be considering Wesa over Cleverly, and to give Lee Cox a few starts. If not, I just wonder what the long-term condition of the club may be?

The policy will mean a major rebuild which, presumably, the staff are working on even now.

But at least the loanees we've got in this season are quality players who are better than youngsters currently at the club at this stage.

Gradel should be getting more time but wouldn't naturally replace a loanee. Nor would Porter. I don't know about Chambers because he's not played much competitive football either this season or the previous two seasons.

The only real grouse I have is in the persistent use of the veteran Dickov and having another veteran, Hayles, on the bench when the likes of Gradel and Chambers could well have been given some time last night and on other occasions.

Were Dickov delivering there perhaps wouldn't be a case but he's not, at least not when when I've watched him.

Cox is now out on loan - but from the games he's had I'm not sure he wouldn't have benefitted from time on the bench here because he's a full-back rather than a midfielder and could well have put pressure on Gilbert and certainly Hobbs when he played there, given some encouragement.

Generally though I've very few complaints.

My campaign for ex-youth players to be used such as King, Gradel, Porter was based on the view that they were better than the alternatives who were wearing the shirt at the time.

Now it's not really the case at all and the only thing I'd like to see is our best youngsters remaining active, either via loan deals where they actually get to play or through substitute apopeaances from the bench.

I see very little point now in giving veteran has-beens a bench place when we could be giving vital experience to up-and-coming players.

What you are forgetting is that we have used youngsters and have got into a brilliant position. Tunchev, Mattock, King, Dyer, Oakley, Howard and Fryatt are owned by us. The loanees are hopefully going to stay or come back again. Chambers has again had a injury ridden time of it. Porter for some reason needs to bide his time. Pearson seems to have an eye for a good player. Look at the rubbish others have landed us with.

We still need a defender, two midfield players and a striker.

Why are we tollerating this inadequacy from Pearson? We should have won 70-0 last night.

I know we are a premiership side daggers I can't see why people can't see it!! being 10points clear and maybe 6 wins from promotion is just not an acceptable position I mean we only beat Walsall 4-1 which is just an embarrassment I am so ashamed at the club this season

As much as I dislike the loan system and would like to see our own youngsters given a chance, football these days is all about to day.

The loan system should be abolished. Clubs in the prem buy up young talent on the cheap, then loan them out for a few years and mostly release them. Much better if this young talent develops through the lower leagues and makes some money for smaller clubs when they move up as first team players. Prem clubs have far too many players on their books. the academy system is a disaster for football.

the loan system is'nt the best way to build a settled side as they can be recalled anytime next season will be one for consolidation & start to build a side that can manage in the prem the trouble with the loanies we have are mostly from top prem clubs the reason they are hear is so they gain valuable experience of winning games to get them into the winning mentallity these clubs like to have i will be surprised if we get many loanies from top clubs next season as we may well be a mid table side ....i said maybe hopefully we will be top 6

we'll have to agree to disagree Stu - Fryatt and Howard were the start pairing last season and didnt cut the mustard - Fact! you advocate we start next season with the same pairing plus a new squad of loanees? behave yersen.... and yes..... bringing on Dickov in a game like this when we could have given a couple of young uns some experience...... dont make sense to me hun

I am new to the forum so go easy on me, however I like a lively debate and I would like to pick up on the above comment about Fryatt & Howard pairing last season.

We all know that Howard was signed in time to play away at QPR on New Years Day last season, he came on as 31st min when were 2-0 down. Ignoring the cup defeat at Saints he made his full league debut for us on 12th Jan the 2-0 win against Cov.

Including this match and the next 8 (9 total) upto and including 1-0 win away at Cardiff, Matty Fratt made 2 sub appearances for the club playing a grand total of 6 minutes + injury time (coming on 85 & 89 minutes repsectively)

In the final 11 games of the season Fryatt started just four matches with City picking up 6 points in the process (1.5 points per game ave, good enough for survival in my books). In the other 16 games that Howard started without Fryatt we gained just 19 points and we all know where that led us.

So the fact to me is that the partnership of Fryatt/Howard never had a chance last season.

I think the tone of this season was set in our the first 30 minutes of the opening day game against MK Dons, dont get me wrong I am not a huge fan of Howard, but the two big chonkers at the back for MK couldn't get anyway near him. It was clear with the understanding he had with Fryatt, one of them would fill their boots at this level.

As for Pearson having a short-term view, well he has been set a short-term task by our trigger happy Chairman. That's getting us of this division at the first attempt and in my books he is doing a very good job at doing that.

Surely the likes of ManU, Arsenal & Liverpool dont just loan their up and coming players to anybody, they go to clubs where the set-up and coaching staff is right for the continued developement of their young players. I for one are pleased to have had the pleasure of watching some of the brightest young talent from the big clubs, instead of two useless overseas wingers none of us had heard of before they signed.

We have 4 youngsters on-loan and I feel it will be a real bonus if we could land one or two on perminent deals, that may not happen. But I feel all his perminent transfer dealings have served purpose for us this this season and he has the balance of youth and experience spot on in my books. I would expect Steve Walsh to be planning our assault on the Championship next season, we all have idea's of where we need to strengthen and so far our management to haven't let us down on that socre.

If our youngsters are good enough they will get their chance for sure, but to me football is all about the three points on offer each game, its not about giving a young kid a run out for experience. Whilst we have a job to do I wouldnt expect Pearson to do anything other than having his senior players to take care of business. If we are promoted with a few games to spare then it makes perfect sense to give the likes of Ash Chambers a taster instead of Hayles or Dickov.

My only concern about Pearson is that if we get promoted, we start challenging at the right half of the table next season, he gets poached from us, once the sacking of Premier League Manager starts.

That said, its a long way off, I feel we should all enjoy the moment now for what it is, we are 10 points clear at the top, we have scored the most goals in the league, conceeded the least goals, most home wins in the division and have the top-scorer in the league.

Yes it maybe league one, but at present we are best team in every department and I cant wait to get my next 90 minutes fix.

So to the person who originally started the thread about staying this division for 2 or 3 seasons (come on really!) it time to wake up and smell the coffee and enjoy your team this minute, right now, becasue its great to be a Leicester supporter again!

I am new to the forum so go easy on me, however I like a lively debate and I would like to pick up on the above comment about Fryatt & Howard pairing last season.

We all know that Howard was signed in time to play away at QPR on New Years Day last season, he came on as 31st min when were 2-0 down. Ignoring the cup defeat at Saints he made his full league debut for us on 12th Jan the 2-0 win against Cov.

Including this match and the next 8 (9 total) upto and including 1-0 win away at Cardiff, Matty Fratt made 2 sub appearances for the club playing a grand total of 6 minutes + injury time (coming on 85 & 89 minutes repsectively)

In the final 11 games of the season Fryatt started just four matches with City picking up 6 points in the process (1.5 points per game ave, good enough for survival in my books). In the other 16 games that Howard started without Fryatt we gained just 19 points and we all know where that led us.

So the fact to me is that the partnership of Fryatt/Howard never had a chance last season.

I think the tone of this season was set in our the first 30 minutes of the opening day game against MK Dons, dont get me wrong I am not a huge fan of Howard, but the two big chonkers at the back for MK couldn't get anyway near him. It was clear with the understanding he had with Fryatt, one of them would fill their boots at this level.

As for Pearson having a short-term view, well he has been set a short-term task by our trigger happy Chairman. That's getting us of this division at the first attempt and in my books he is doing a very good job at doing that.

Surely the likes of ManU, Arsenal & Liverpool dont just loan their up and coming players to anybody, they go to clubs where the set-up and coaching staff is right for the continued developement of their young players. I for one are pleased to have had the pleasure of watching some of the brightest young talent from the big clubs, instead of two useless overseas wingers none of us had heard of before they signed.

We have 4 youngsters on-loan and I feel it will be a real bonus if we could land one or two on perminent deals, that may not happen. But I feel all his perminent transfer dealings have served purpose for us this this season and he has the balance of youth and experience spot on in my books. I would expect Steve Walsh to be planning our assault on the Championship next season, we all have idea's of where we need to strengthen and so far our management to haven't let us down on that socre.

If our youngsters are good enough they will get their chance for sure, but to me football is all about the three points on offer each game, its not about giving a young kid a run out for experience. Whilst we have a job to do I wouldnt expect Pearson to do anything other than having his senior players to take care of business. If we are promoted with a few games to spare then it makes perfect sense to give the likes of Ash Chambers a taster instead of Hayles or Dickov.

My only concern about Pearson is that if we get promoted, we start challenging at the right half of the table next season, he gets poached from us, once the sacking of Premier League Manager starts.

That said, its a long way off, I feel we should all enjoy the moment now for what it is, we are 10 points clear at the top, we have scored the most goals in the league, conceeded the least goals, most home wins in the division and have the top-scorer in the league.

Yes it maybe league one, but at present we are best team in every department and I cant wait to get my next 90 minutes fix.

So to the person who originally started the thread about staying this division for 2 or 3 seasons (come on really!) it time to wake up and smell the coffee and enjoy your team this minute, right now, because its great to be a Leicester supporter again!

welcome to the board mate that's a very good 1st post

So to the person who originally started the thread about staying this division for 2 or 3 seasons (come on really!) it time to wake up and smell the coffee and enjoy your team this minute, right now, becasue its great to be a Leicester supporter again!

Welcome and glad you joined the debate, I get burnt out in arguments like this, so pleased you joined in and came up with a cracking post mate. :thumbup:

Again, I think this is my first 'real' post on here though I've followed FT for ages, I'd just like to say that Pookie's comments ring the most sensible I've read yet, especially about when to play our youth. We NEED to get out of this league, everything else is just by the by, sure, its been fun and exciting to see or hear about our beloved blues winning for what feels like the first time in ages, and we'd all love to see as many of the players have their chance of glory from the youth up, but we must get the job done, no half measures, as fewer risks as possible and THEN once we have got whatever magic number of point that will see us clear we can play with the side, give the young promising players the chance to show their stuff without the pressure of possibly missing the jump to where we should be at the very least.

Sure, we might not keep any or all of the players we have on loan right now, at least on permanents but considering that we do go up by all the signs we might get some of them back for the challenge of the championship, but come the end of the season I'm sure going to be remembering them for a time to come for the sheer fact that we will no longer be in league 1.

Summed up, lets make sure we get out, then give the boys a step up to first team to see what they can do, rest the older types we've got for the job well done, then we can judge if Gradel/Chambers/Cox/Cisak et al have what we need to fit in with the current tactics Pearson plays and improve... I hope for one that they prove that they do.

Come on Leicester

Come on Leicester

Come on Leicester

Come on Leicester

Good post mate and welcome to the site. However, I wonder whether you actually saw Howard and Fryatt much last season. Howard was mainly ever present since his signing whilst Fryatt certainly played quite a few games. Unless their partnership continues to flourish in the way that it has done this season, and I hope it does, neither performed to anywhere near an acceptable level last year. I hope that Pearson continues to get the best out of the squad, as he has undoubtedly done so far this season, but, having seen nearly every game home and away, this season and last, the step-up from League One to the Championship is mega.Some fans have a very short memory - it was only less than a season ago that people were looking at our side, mainly under Holloway and saying that they were shocking and certainly some of this acrimony was hurled at Howard and Fryatt. Either Pearson has transformed both into much better players (which of course a good coach can do), or, as I believe, they are now playing at their correct level. Howard was shown to be lacking last season in two main areas - his goals tally (which remains poor for a striker) and his mobility. Fryatt did not have the pace to exploit defences and was severely lacking in confidence.

Of course I hope that I am wrong and again state that Pearson has done a fantastic job for us so far this season. However, if the side next season is full of loan players and if the strike partnership on the opening day is Fryatt/Howard, I will wonder, apart from getting promoted again, whether we have really moved on as a club. Time will tell.

Pearson, you bastard, stop winning games.

Regarding Fryatt and Howard, I think they could do a job for us if we get promoted. Howard is a proven scorer in the Championship and Fryatt showed when he first arrived that he's capable of getting goals too. I think most people now realise that Fryatt's injuries and lack of games contributed to him struggling over the past couple of years. He's now in a settled team, in his right position and full of confidence - albeit at a lower level.

What makes Howard and Fryatt good partnership is that both players have good footballing brains. They make up for a lack of pace with their movement and vision.

this really is one of the most bizarre threads ive ever seen!

atm it really is unthinkable to slate pearsons transfer or selection policy. :frusty:

i really believe that this guy will set club and league records this season, in his first season in charge! his first full season in charge of anyone!!!!

if that doesnt fire you up, then i really dont know what will im afraid.

certainly not giving jorrin john a run in the team though, i'll wager.

I think people are deliberately mis-understanding the point of this thread. Nobody's criticising Pearson for being top of the league. The point the poster was making is that if we don't sign all these loanees we are going to have to re-build a whole new team next season. Whether you think that's important or not, he has a point, he doesn't deserve the ridicule he's getting.

I think people are deliberately mis-understanding the point of this thread. Nobody's criticising Pearson for being top of the league. The point the poster was making is that if we don't sign all these loanees we are going to have to re-build a whole new team next season. Whether you think that's important or not, he has a point, he doesn't deserve the ridicule he's getting.

Maybe you missed the bit where he said "it would be great now, to my mind, to be throwing young Ash Chambers onto the bench, to be considering Wesa over Cleverly, and to give Lee Cox a few starts."

That's worthy of piss taking in anyone's book, especially the Wesolowski bit.

Maybe you missed the bit where he said "it would be great now, to my mind, to be throwing young Ash Chambers onto the bench, to be considering Wesa over Cleverly, and to give Lee Cox a few starts."

That's worthy of piss taking in anyone's book, especially the Wesolowski bit.

Well obviously Weso and Cox aren't here so he's wrong there but who wouldn't prefer to see Chambers on the bench instead of Dickov?

Shock, horror - that I should be knocking King Nige at the moment......................

Despite making some great signings and getting them to punch above their weight, is anyone concerned, as I am, about Pearson's abundant loan signings?

When we got relegated on that dreadful day at Stoke last season, I turned to my mates and said "I just hope that we now begin to build a good young side that can develop over the next few seasons, play together and give us some long-term success" -I was thinking, perhaps foolhardedly, that I actually didn't mind if we didn't get straight back up form League One, just as long as we began to play some good football and could see the team improving and solidifying. My mind was, of course, particularly on Mattock and King, but I was also thinking about lads such as Ash Chambers, Lee Cox, Wesa, Cisak et al.

Although out league position speaks for itself, I do worry that Jack Hobbs will go back to Liverpool, Kerry back to Arsenal, Cleverly back to the Mancs etc. etc... If this does become the case, where is this going to leave us next season when we go up?

It may be true, as a number of people have informed me, that City could make some new loan signings next season, and some may prove productive. However, surely the best clubs, having vision and acumen for the future, nourish their young players, get them playing together and build their confidence over time.

Of course, Morrison is currently in the team (but he wouldnt be if Tunch hadn't got his injury), Mattock is starting (but he wouldnt be if Berner was fit).

Given this, I'm upset with so many loan signings - it would be great now, to my mind, to be throwing young Ash Chambers onto the bench, to be considering Wesa over Cleverly, and to give Lee Cox a few starts. If not, I just wonder what the long-term condition of the club may be?

Fair point about the loan signings and youngsters but you wont get out this league with kids and how long would it be if we did that, we would probably be in league one for years then get stuck in a rut.

Pearson is doing a great job and he is mixing the ages, permanants and loans perfectly.

We have Morrison, King, Mattock and Fryatt that are all under 25 and in first team .

Plus, Prem managers obviously have a lot of respect for Nige and we might get a couple of even better loan signings next year from Prem as they will be well looked after here.

Tunch, Howard, Oakley and Dyer will do well next year so we will only need a couple of decent permanant buys and some good loans and we will be in good shape again next season!

Lets just get this Promotion signed and sealed and worry about the squad in the summer!

Archived