Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BlabyFox

Goal-line technology or not?

Goal-line technology or not?  

95 members have voted

1. 1. cast your vote

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes - but limits on the amount of times the technology can be used per team per game

No.

As annoying as being on the end of a wrong decision is, any form of video technology would slow the game down and it would become like rugby where they wait for the screen to tell them it's a try. I would hate it.

Human error is part of the game and is an interesting talking point from most matches. Most decisions even themselves out anyway, it's not like the same team is on the end of a blatant bad decision every match.

I've always thought it would unfair if a goal was given using this technology, yet the other team has a goal wrongly chalked off in the same game because technology is not used for offsides. It seems that the media highlight goal line mistakes more than other mistakes that usually have an equal influence over the outcome of the game.

I don't really like the idea of it.

If it were to come in, it would only be in the premiership anyway, can you imagine Leyton Orient or Grimsby having a big screen at their ground??? They'd have to have a little monitor at the side of the pitch that the ref would have to run over to. It's not really workable, in my opinion anyway!

Definitely - and for all penalty box incidents which the referee needs clarification on.

You'e only got to see the apparently straightforward penalty decisions which are missed or ignored by referees to know the technology can only be an aid to fair decision making.

It is abundantly clear that referees cannot be relied on to give the right decisions, for whatever reason.

There have, of course, been instances of referees being got at as the late Brian Clough would happily have testified, I'm sure.

But they are also intimidated. A full-house of bayin suppoorters at Old Trafford or Liverpool provides a convincing appeal and while they may be ignored once or twice, a referee gets increasingly prssured to give a penalty whether there is one or not.

Just as important though is that referees don't have th 360-degrees vision that the television people have nor the time and opportunity to see the incident again and analyse it. Mistkes are inevitable.

Waiting for a playback to ascertain an outcome only adds to the drama and will certainly make for fairer decisions.

And with the standard of refereeing today techological assistance is long overdue.

The whole idea that such things "even out" is ridiculous and totally irrelent to right decision-making at the time.

What about adding on extra linesmen at either side of the goal??

Or just have someone with access to video replays off the pitch, who can speak to the referee during the match. And this doesn't just go for goal-lines. This can go for any incident on the pitch.

As long as it is ONLY goal-line technology and it is fast (Wimbledon style) then yes.

The most common argument I've heard against it is slowing the game down. This is rubbish. In rugby, quite often, the video ref comes back with an answer in seconds - and he has millions more things to consider when watching a try. If you were to have a video ref in football all he has to do is take a look from a goal-line cam and decide if the ball was completely over the line. If he isn't sure, say no.

It'd happen once every, maybe, four or five games at most and would only take seconds.

Better yet, if they had wimbledon-style automated technology it'd work in seconds. Some of the cricket and tennis ball technology even just for the TV is incredible, we're joking if we think it can't be done in football.

And the "human factor" argument is just retarded. You'll still have refs doing 99.9% of the things refs do. You'll just cut out these silly calls every now and then. Like the Watford game ffs.

Definitely - and for all penalty box incidents which the referee needs clarification on.

You'e only got to see the apparently straightforward penalty decisions which are missed or ignored by referees to know the technology can only be an aid to fair decision making.

It is abundantly clear that referees cannot be relied on to give the right decisions, for whatever reason.

There have, of course, been instances of referees being got at as the late Brian Clough would happily have testified, I'm sure.

But they are also intimidated. A full-house of bayin suppoorters at Old Trafford or Liverpool provides a convincing appeal and while they may be ignored once or twice, a referee gets increasingly prssured to give a penalty whether there is one or not.

Just as important though is that referees don't have th 360-degrees vision that the television people have nor the time and opportunity to see the incident again and analyse it. Mistkes are inevitable.

Waiting for a playback to ascertain an outcome only adds to the drama and will certainly make for fairer decisions.

And with the standard of refereeing today techological assistance is long overdue.

The whole idea that such things "even out" is ridiculous and totally irrelent to right decision-making at the time.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

No.

Doesnt work in Cricket as we seen in the Caribean last week. :whistle:

Seriously I dont want it in football because we have gone what? So many years without it so I dont see the main rush to get it now. It doesnt even happen often enough on a regular basis to limit teams appeals for it so many times a game.

Can you imagine the boring delay we would have while the Ref is faffing around trying to sort out if it went in or not? Would be like watching the Rugby when the Ref asks if it was a try. There is some stupid tune being played out while they are waiting for a desicion. :unsure:

No thanks.

Here here from me as well plus:

It doesn't work properly in football, in countries where it has been tried they have ended up with two balls on the pitch, goals not given which quite clearly where and so on.

How did video-technology cause that?

Archived