Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox in a Box

New Signings Imminent

I'd love to have Cleverley back in any capacity whether it be on loan or signed (I suspect a loan deal is more likely) though the strikers being banded about in the gossip columns have not yet set my world on fire..... We are going to need some quality, I think our current pairing will be found out at this level as they have been previously to an extent.

I would like a proven striker for this division, not a young fella who has scored a couple of wonder goals. I trust Pearson's judgement, but judgement is regulated by the money Mandaric gives him to spend. If he is serious about getting in to the play-offs or even close, we need a 17-27 goals a season 6ft Centre forward who can stand in for Stevie and have a bit more pace and touch.... We have Fryatt and Campbell to cover the other striking role......

I'm hoping for quality.

But I am not holding my breath.

Good strikers are so valuable that you are not going to get one come as backup for Steve Howard. Quality players do not join a club to sit on the bench. While I admire Steve Howard he is in the later stages of his career and is going to find it increasingly difficult to take the psce and the knocks at Championship level. Bringing in a good striker implies a first choice player and that means playing in place of either Fryatt or Howard.

As peeps seem to like listed points:

1. I'd rather we loaned a big young lad for the season from one of the top 4 and groom him as a replacement for Howard. if he doesn't work we can buy someone next season. Howard will do well enough this season.

1a. Fryatt will be given the chance to prove himself this year guarenteed so anyone that comes in will have to complement him rather than fight for his position.

1a.1 Clemence needs to barrel on.

1a.1.a Centre midfield is the only place that needs improving now imo.

As peeps seem to like listed points:

1. I'd rather we loaned a big young lad for the season from one of the top 4 and groom him as a replacement for Howard. if he doesn't work we can buy someone next season. Howard will do well enough this season.

1a. Fryatt will be given the chance to prove himself this year guarenteed so anyone that comes in will have to complement him rather than fight for his position.

1a.1 Clemence needs to barrel on.

1a.1.a Centre midfield is the only place that needs improving now imo.

A reserve keeper would also be nice.

For me we should make 3 new signings.

First of all, Michael Ball. He has been released from Manchester City and when he was younger definately had some good games in the Premier League. He is a left back and I think Joe Mattock has gone right off lately, so keep him as back-up.

My midfield signing would be either Richie Wellens, a proven Championship midfielder with ball-winning abilities, ability to run at players and so on, or possibly even another loan move for Mark Davies. We were incredible when he played and he is without doubt good enough for this division, also Bolton have signed Sean Davis today who is a central midfielder that would more than likely keep Mark out the team, its unlikely but never say never.

As a new forward I would bid £2mil to get Simon Cox from under the noses of West Brom, thats not out of our price range and its definately less than what they wanted for him. He is young, will possibly play Premier League football one day, creates his own chances and proves that he is a top goal-scorer. But I am also liking this Andrew Keogh link, and he could possibly be as good, as he is proven at this level.

For me we should make 3 new signings.

First of all, Michael Ball. He has been released from Manchester City and when he was younger definately had some good games in the Premier League. He is a left back and I think Joe Mattock has gone right off lately, so keep him as back-up.

My midfield signing would be either Richie Wellens, a proven Championship midfielder with ball-winning abilities, ability to run at players and so on, or possibly even another loan move for Mark Davies. We were incredible when he played and he is without doubt good enough for this division, also Bolton have signed Sean Davis today who is a central midfielder that would more than likely keep Mark out the team, its unlikely but never say never.

As a new forward I would bid £2mil to get Simon Cox from under the noses of West Brom, thats not out of our price range and its definately less than what they wanted for him. He is young, will possibly play Premier League football one day, creates his own chances and proves that he is a top goal-scorer. But I am also liking this Andrew Keogh link, and he could possibly be as good, as he is proven at this level.

Mark Davies will be in the Bolton team when fit.

Ok read all the comments on here take everything on board my summery...

1)yes its only 1st July

2)MM stated he has a 3 year plan

3)the fans and MM trust NP

4)the squad does need numbers and quality which has been acknowledged by the chairman

5)funds are limited not just at city but for all teams

6)we all want to get promoted to the prem but my personel target is the playoffs but a realistic aim is top 8

7)release funds both transfer and wages with the sale of DJ

8)I would love a "wow" player somebody in the Claridge mould, it would get the fans going and get bums on seats

I think we need two quality centre mid players one playmaker fighting with clemence (hoping hes fit come Auguest) and a experienced defensive midfield player fighting with King.

I think the wing positions are ok. Right side Oakley and Gradel/left side Dyer and N'gussen. Defence is fine, not worried about RB as Morrison can play there. If Gilbert comes its cool if not no worries.

Keeper I reserve judgement as I've not seen Wheale play I did like Stockdale think he is good cover if not first choice if he comes.

Strikers yes we all know this is our major problem. I actully think we need 3. I dont think Dickov will be good enough for the championship next season, the same applies to Chambers. I, and its just my thinking, we need a target man to replace Howard ( I know he was player of the year etc but I think he should be the back up player next year and not first choice).

Cover for Fryatt a striker with pace.

One other the player with a trick. The Frank Worthington type who can see a pass and do the unexpected, and can play in the "hole". Sadly these type of players are few and far between. Maybe NP can pluck one from Europe.

Budget seems a problem I dont think we will pay more than £1.5 million for any one player. But if was a 70+ year old with ambitions to be in the prem i'd give it a go...how long does he realistically expect to be here? or maybe he just wants sell us on and provide a good profit for his grandchildren... we shall see. Either way funds should be made available to NP.

In summery,I think we still need 4/5 QUALITY players if we are to have a real push next season. If we get two then its about establishing ourselves again the championship. Lets see what happens.

Nice summary, not sure I agree with all of it, mainly the forward section really but your not far of the mark.

But they've signed Sean Davis who is surely going to get in ahead of him? :dunno:

Not necessarily. And besides, Bolton need a SQUAD of players just like any other team. I'd be extremely surprised to see Davies loaned out next season.

Not necessarily. And besides, Bolton need a SQUAD of players just like any other team. I'd be extremely surprised to see Davies loaned out next season.

Never say never.

There is no way that is going to happen next season.

Ever.

He will never make their first team.

Oh shit I said never.

I've written in another thread about this and tbh, I'm a bit miffed.

MM flash the cash. Cut the talk and get on with it.

He talks the talk, but doesn't flash the cash.

NP will have to perform managerial miracles to get us into the promotion frame at this rate.

I told myself that I would ignore your comments similar to these, but this is one too many now.

As somebody else has already mentioned, we've been making a loss for the past 3 years consecutively - we're not loaded!

Also, bare in mind that we've 'flashed the cash' before. It's called panic buying. See Akinbiyi. Steve Howard, as good as he was last year, was bought to push for the play-off's in the championship. (£1.5mil) Did that work? - No.

NP and MM are taking their time, and in the end, you'll see careful and calculated results. A team isn't about individuals anyway. We have a solid team, and all we need is one or two creative players to act as the spark. - These signings will come, but for god sake, it's over a month untill the season starts.

Now, if I see the phrase 'flash the cash' in one more of your posts, I'll mash your mothers' gash.*

* Maturity levels low. (you get my point)

I told myself that I would ignore your comments similar to these, but this is one too many now.

As somebody else has already mentioned, we've been making a loss for the past 3 years consecutively - we're not loaded!

Also, bare in mind that we've 'flashed the cash' before. It's called panic buying. See Akinbiyi. Steve Howard, as good as he was last year, was bought to push for the play-off's in the championship. (£1.5mil) Did that work? - No.

NP and MM are taking their time, and in the end, you'll see careful and calculated results. A team isn't about individuals anyway. We have a solid team, and all we need is one or two creative players to act as the spark. - These signings will come, but for god sake, it's over a month untill the season starts.

Now, if I see the phrase 'flash the cash' in one more of your posts, I'll mash your mothers' gash.*

* Maturity levels low. (you get my point)

My mother's gash will take some mashing.

this might be on the minds of others too..

and i have no problem with nigels current purchases, i think they will be brilliant..

but other clubs around us are buying more "proven" so called better players..

i.e, bristol city and paul hartley, ipswich and lee martin.

just hope we can get a few proven players in soon,

Archived