Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finchy

Festival Thread

Foals would be a great headliner. One of a few acts who are better outside than in a tent.

Can really see it happening, they've got the backlog of singles, 4 or 5 from this new album could be massive singalongs as well. Depends how their tour and album does I imagine.

You either get it or you don't with Catfish, you guys clearly don't get it. #teamcatfish. They need to get this second album out, hoping it's a bit of an evolution in sound like Arctic Monkeys seem to have from album to album.

As an aside, even though it was hardly a surprise. The relief when we saw Foals walk on stage on Sunday morning was huge. Been hitting their album hard all week as well, it's a worldie.

Yeah I'm with you, I'm a big catfish fan. I saw them last year at leeds in the festival republic tent play to about 200 people, absolute meteoric rise.

Foals were spot on, Sunday was a class day anyway but them kicking it all off made it 10x better.

Plenty of good bands out there to be fair, may not be in the mainstream but you don't have to dig too far to find some. Enjoyed watching The Sherlocks open the Festival Republic stage on Friday, they had a huge crowd for first thing on a Friday. Interested to see how they get on with their first album.

The Sherlocks are massive cretins. I'm mates with two bands that have played with them, one based in Sheff the other in Leicester and both have really bad things to say about them.

Catchy tunes I get it but straight courteeners rip offs.

The Sherlocks are massive cretins. I'm mates with two bands that have played with them, one based in Sheff the other in Leicester and both have really bad things to say about them.

Catchy tunes I get it but straight courteeners rip offs.

Haha definitely getting the courteeners thing. They came on in the car on the way to Leeds fest and my mate asked why Courteeners were on the playlist.

I don't really care either way about a band's personality though unless it personally affects me so I'll still follow them.

Was it you that watched Glass Caves at plug a while back? I was hoping they'd be at Leeds again this year but it seems they didn't make the cut.

Haha definitely getting the courteeners thing. They came on in the car on the way to Leeds fest and my mate asked why Courteeners were on the playlist.

I don't really care either way about a band's personality though unless it personally affects me so I'll still follow them.

Was it you that watched Glass Caves at plug a while back? I was hoping they'd be at Leeds again this year but it seems they didn't make the cut.

Yeah big Glass Caves fan. Strange they didnt get the Leeds Fest gig? I read that they are currently writing a second album.

watched back a few libertines videos through tear filled eyes. what champions. from first song to last of what seemed like 200 songs was just top dolla. it was a lot emptier than i imagined, but that made it better. boy better know and deadmau5 attracted all the irritating 16-19 year old cuntbags and it was just loads of boss people celebrating the libs. 

kicking myself i didnt go see foals now though after a few more listens to their new effort. quite simply couldn't be arsed lol. heard it all from my tent and it was only like 4 or 5 songs i think but would've been pretty cool. 

on another note, leeds can't carry on much longer. it was so, so empty compared to even just two or three years ago. like i said, main stage friday headliner, libertines, that is what leeds is all about and i strolled casually towards the front, probably ended up about 20 people deep but there was similar acts (strokes/pulp/kasabian) in years gone by where you couldn't stroll to 200 deep let alone 20. we left in the dead of night to get there at 3 on thursday morning, partly to make it more fun but also out of fear that there would be nowhere to lash two 6 man tents in yellow. we could've turned up on saturday lunchtime with twenty 18 man tents and put them all next to each other. the NME was smaller this year and was still not full any time i went in. i appreciate there are a few more stages than there was 4 or 5 years back but the sparsity of some of the crowds was mad. not in a bad way, get closer to the front, more room to dance.

reading appears to still sell out every year but leeds is dying on its arse if the crowds and ticket sales are anything to go by. shame. 

Shame you didn't get to see BBK, they put on some mad shows. Stormzy looked pretty good on his snapchat too.

yeah i know i really wanted too but couldn't not see the libertines. bbk will carry on performing at this level and these stages (maybe even get bigger) over the next few years, the libertines might be once in a lifetime at that level. 

a few people i know said they tried to see bbk but couldn't get near the tent entrance let alone the stage. i did see ten minutes of rebel sound and that looked very good. 

im not sure how ive managed to not see bbk yet (literally any part of them) considering ive been a fan for a good 5 years at least. they rarely travel north which is quite annoying. if i lived in london/bristol where a lot of them seem to perform every week i'd probably be a regular lol 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Link me up. Sounds like my cuppa tea

http://handmade.gigantic.com/handmade-o2-academy-leicester-2016-04-29-19-00

There you go man, goes on all weekend in loads of gaffs across Leicester, they get one or two steady acts in, to be honest I'm just gonna get smashed and go and see LC! as a priority

giving leeds a miss finally next year. biffy/foals i've done before so not too fussed, never been massively into rhcp so again no great shame. tbf rarely go for the headliners or even the acts anyway. doubt foals will top their sunset on a sunday set a few years back, spanish sahara as the sun was setting and it was actually warm. yep. life done. 

might be tempted into a foreign festival in the summer. not beni and not an outlook/exit type gig. basically leeds but somewhere cooler and cheaper. shouts? 

giving leeds a miss finally next year. biffy/foals i've done before so not too fussed, never been massively into rhcp so again no great shame. tbf rarely go for the headliners or even the acts anyway. doubt foals will top their sunset on a sunday set a few years back, spanish sahara as the sun was setting and it was actually warm. yep. life done. 

might be tempted into a foreign festival in the summer. not beni and not an outlook/exit type gig. basically leeds but somewhere cooler and cheaper. shouts? 

That was pretty boss. Missing their arena tour so hoping their in. Like you say, not really fussed about the headliners either way, there's always something happening.

Always tempted by 2000 Trees and Y Not! but they end up being too close to Leeds.

Can I have my £10 tipping thread bet on you caving in and going to leeds at 12/1?

That was pretty boss. Missing their arena tour so hoping their in. Like you say, not really fussed about the headliners either way, there's always something happening.

Always tempted by 2000 Trees and Y Not! but they end up being too close to Leeds.

so far tempted by;

best kept secret (holland), no acts confirmed yet but last year was libertines, jungle, NGHFB, circa waves, asap rocky, alt j, royal blood then the usual dj acts etc.

way out west (sweden), acts so far are jamie xx, chvrches, stormzy, m83 & sia. obviously loads more to come.

sbsr (lisbon), last year was sbtrkt, blur, florence, little dragon, bombay bicycle club, the vaccines etc. 71 quid for 3 days. 

Can I have my £10 tipping thread bet on you caving in and going to leeds at 12/1?

haha i'll give you 50s new customer offer max bet £5. 

Why not Outlook? It's bloody tremendous on all fronts

not quite the line up most the people id be going with would be looking for. appreciate it is probably fantastic as everyone who has been says that it is, but whilst i appreciate and enjoy some grime/dnb/house music three or four days of it ain't for me. that's why we end up at leeds every year. something like justice or sub focus or wiley followed by foals or the libertines or kasabian. yeah man. 

not quite the line up most the people id be going with would be looking for. appreciate it is probably fantastic as everyone who has been says that it is, but whilst i appreciate and enjoy some grime/dnb/house music three or four days of it ain't for me. that's why we end up at leeds every year. something like justice or sub focus or wiley followed by foals or the libertines or kasabian. yeah man.

Fair point, well made

so far tempted by;

best kept secret (holland), no acts confirmed yet but last year was libertines, jungle, NGHFB, circa waves, asap rocky, alt j, royal blood then the usual dj acts etc.

way out west (sweden), acts so far are jamie xx, chvrches, stormzy, m83 & sia. obviously loads more to come.

sbsr (lisbon), last year was sbtrkt, blur, florence, little dragon, bombay bicycle club, the vaccines etc. 71 quid for 3 days. 

haha i'll give you 50s new customer offer max bet £5. 

Hadn't heard of any of those but they all look decent line ups. A foreign festival would actually be pretty decent. May have to consider it after my testimonial. Hoping jamie xx is back at Leeds this year. Want to see him on tour but the guy only seems to play like 2 dates a year.

50s, I like them odds! Deal me in.

Open'er in Poland or Rock en Seine in Paris are on my list, they were 'to do' last summer but didn't have the GBP to do those among other stuff. Give their lineups a look man, Open'er looks like it'd be up your street, near Gdansk I think on some old airport runway.