Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Salieri

City 0-2 Q.P.R

Warnock totally out-thought Sousa today with his tactics, knowing exactly how to set his team up against us.

Whilst this possession football looks nice, we don't have the players to make it work. Consequently, we can pass the ball around for most of the match, but we don't have those one or two players who can see things quicker than a well organised opposition defence and create a chance with a precision splitting pass, or a great run.

The fact is, the majority of goals scored in the modern game are either from set pieces, or from attacking moves taking less than 7 passes. Any move requiring more than 7 passes often fizzles out as the opposition defence is able to get back into place and reorganise. We seem to be rubbish at both these (set-pieces and quick breaks), so it's no surprise we struggle to create chances and struggle to score.

We do have the players for that 4-2-3-1 system that we've been playing but the problem comes when the opposition sets up to combat that and get beyond the 2 sitting midfielders and stop us from passing the ball out from the back. Wellens and Oakley were fantastic at what they had to do on Tuesday night but today, Wellens tried too hard to play a playmaker role rather than cleaning up which was possibly as a result of a non-existent Oakley performance. We lacked pace and a buzz in the middle of the park today, which could possibly call for Moussa or Abe to come in for the future for Oakley. Although, give it time and the system will work. As much as I love Berner and have been praising Neilson for his recent heroics, two changes that could be made would be to add pace and energy to the full back roles as with this system they have more of a free role to get forward than the 4-4-2 system, so I can see Kennedy coming in for Berner soon and a new player for Neilson. But for now, we just need to concentrate on gelling the team as it is, into the new system with the same players, ideally Howard starting as the lone striker!

The stats are frankly misleading

Our minor domination of possession was in the third of the pitch nearest to our goal

We had one meaningful chance all game, possibly two. One of those was a shot from outside the box.

The shots off target were either nearer the corner flag or would have cleared three goals (Gallagher)

Like the one people always use about our defence during the relegation season?

The result today was disapointing but the performance I found to be pretty good. We dominated possesion, pushed and probed and if we'd have had Mackie up front for us instead of Fryatt would have won the game easily.

Sorry to say it but the difference between today and the Cardiff game was down to Fryatt playing instead of Howard. Playing this formation you need your central striker to be getting the ball down and bringing the wider strikers into play.

Howard did this wonderfully well on Tuesday and Fryatt didnt do it today. If we play 4-4-2 then Fryatt has a place but in a 4-3-3 then no way should he be in the team. We looked so much more dangerous when Steve came on so hopefully this should be lesson learnt.

It does seem that Sousa cant do right for doing wrong. A few weeks ago when Lamey came in at right back and Moreno was playing at centre back, most of the posts on here were along the lines of, 'he wont drop Moreno for Morrisson as he's not Portugese enough' and 'Nielson is in form so why drop him for Lamey? Obviously favours his own' etc etc. Now he's dropped them for underperforming some are giving him stick for not playing the players he's brought.

I like the guys management style. The football is good and we're controlling games. Both goals could have been prevented today with better communication between the defence and the goalkeeper. Ikeme should be telling the defence what's going on behind them so situations like the first goal dont happen. Weale cant come back quickly enough for me and Ikeme cant leave quickly enough. For a keeper of his height he's very shaky in the air and his distribution is terrible.

Pompey twice in a week isnt ideal. Hopefully a defeat on Tuesday and a win/draw on Friday, although the curse of Sky could loom over us again.

No need to panic just yet as we're playing pretty well but are definitely a couple of players short of being a title challenging team.

Right OK we've not had the best of starts and yes we've had a hard fixture list to begin with IMO, but that's not making any excuses. People saying give Paulo ten games, which I don't agree with one bit. It will take until at least November to December to ascertain where we're heading as the new ideas and players do take time to gel. It is about patience and yes 'lady luck' and referees haven't helped, but that will iron itself out so that is no excuse. We still have 39 games to play or 117 points to play for this year AND EVEN if we lose the next three games the season isn't over. It is after then IMO that we need to go on a decent 'run' to get ourselves up there. There isn't much between the teams in this league this year and once we've played the more mediocre teams i.e. Preston, Portsmouth, Hull, S****hopre - yep I know they've had a good start, Bristol City etc. we can really gain an understanding of where we're going to be. No panic yet IMO then.

We need a response to opposition that decides not to play football. We struggled against this last season. As we still have the same players this season and only a style change I'm hardly surprised that what happened today happened.

It was one of those dull games, with a shockingly poor referee, played against a team determined to not play any football.

They will get their comeuppance come the end of the season as they won't get out of this league like that. In fact they currently epitomise how out of touch the Championship is with the Premiership, sitting pretty at the top of the table playing rubbish like what was served up today.

We need an answer to it, as there will be plenty of wannabe premiership clubs coming here and doing exactly what they've done to us today. Frustrating as it is, hopefully we'll turn this around sooner rather than later.

I think we can all see how this season is going to pan out if Sousa stays in charge, we are certainly doing much worse than under Pearson. I think Sousa will be get the boot by christmas.....

Didn't go but I'm assuming people are moaning because we lost to top of the league... But to be honest, these stats suggest we did alright and were jsut poor in front of goal..

Possession

• Leicester 52%
  • QPR 48%

Attempts on target

• Leicester 11
  • QPR 6

Attempts off target

• Leicester 10
  • QPR 2

22 shots v 8 shots, seems like we dominated but couldn't score. We're dominating games at least, winning will come eventually...i've heard enough people moaning and wanting sousa out, i could understand if we were being dominated but we're obviously not.

Also, is it just me or do we seem to batter teams in the second halves of games??

You do understand how football works, right?

I mean I know you're just trying to bait me and have a bit of banter but - just so we're both clear - you realise how stupid that comment is?

Enlighten me? According to you lot we were shit, correct? So my point is this; we scored 2 goals when we were playing very poorly - according to you lot and secondly; we conceeded no goals when again we were playing so badly. This being the case, I am happy to play poorly and win 2 - 0.

As for my other comment, the home team generally plays more attacking, thus has more shots, corners etc, so it is not a surprise to me that your stats were better than ours in some areas.

Anything else you are having trouble with?

Enlighten me? According to you lot we were shit, correct? So my point is this; we scored 2 goals when we were playing very poorly - according to you lot and secondly; we conceeded no goals when again we were playing so badly. This being the case, I am happy to play poorly and win 2 - 0.

As for my other comment, the home team generally plays more attacking, thus has more shots, corners etc, so it is not a surprise to me that your stats were better than ours in some areas.

Anything else you are having trouble with?

Haha I don't think you were shit. The first 10-15 minutes, you looked like a top of the table team but after that we controlled the match pretty well without taking our chances.

The disappointing thing with QPR, were the way they tried to ruin the game with the worst time wasting I've seen. It was shameful to be honest, but I wouldn't expect anything less with Warnock as manager. Horrible man.

You have some dangerous players and as Sousa said, you don't need to cheat to win matches. You are good enough!

Good luck for the season. You will no doubt be up there, hopefully we will be too

Haha I don't think you were shit. The first 10-15 minutes, you looked like a top of the table team but after that we controlled the match pretty well without taking our chances.

The disappointing thing with QPR, were the way they tried to ruin the game with the worst time wasting I've seen. It was shameful to be honest, but I wouldn't expect anything less with Warnock as manager. Horrible man.

You have some dangerous players and as Sousa said, you don't need to cheat to win matches. You are good enough!

Good luck for the season. You will no doubt be up there, hopefully we will be too

I don't think they will be. I think they'll burn out. Playoffs at best for QPR.

To stand a chance of promotion you have to win ugly occasionally and I would rather come away from home and win ugly than play the 'Arsenal' way and get rolled over.

I don't believe we will sustain this run for much longer, nor do I personally believe we will be top 2, but we can all wish, hope and pray; well if you are QPR of course!

To all these QPR fans who are jizzing all over Mackie being a find and all:

From what I gather, he signed with the club for an undisclosed fee and cost Plymouth £145'000 alone two years ago.

In the meantime, his price tag will have certainly risen to twice that amount, if not half a million.

EDIT: He's actually on €1'250'000 (slightly over £1m) according to Transfermarkt.de.

Thus: Cheap surely not, and certainly no bargain.

Back to the game: We dominated the game with our possession for most of the game, and the Hoops profitted from two of our blinders in defense - in fact, the only two big blunders that I recall.

Other than that, we once more shot ourselves in our own foot with our inability to move forward effectively and with enough pace.

Poor standards and weak shots on goal added insult to injury.

Hmm. Well by the middle of the second half, we were playing left-footed Dyer on the right wing, and right-footed Gallagher on the left. We also played the majority of the first half (at home) with one player up front. I thought we matched QPR in terms of passing and play, but that we were outdone tactically. They came with a plan, they went home with 3 points. Morrison was dreadful today I have to say - and I really want him to do well. Wellens also was very sloppy.

Let's just say one thing - Sousa will have to play more of his own signings against Portsmouth next week, if only to justify his own managerial position...

By the middle of the second half on Tuesday, we had the left footed Dyer on the right wing and one up front tbf. That result seems to have been forgotten already! And we were fooking brilliant too.

I do agree with you on Morrison though, maybe dreadful is a bit harsh, but he seems to be prone to mental moments like we saw for the second goal today. I have to say, it doesn't half make a nice change seeing our defenders step out with the ball and add an extra dimension. Beats watching Wayne the racist launch balls off for opposition goal kicks.

So, we need to play players in correct positions. We need to take chances. We need Fryatt to stop being lazy. Wellens and King need to be more consistent. We need Logan in goal.

Logan

Neilson Hobbs Morrison Berner.

Moussa Oakley King Dyer

Waghorn Fryatt

Subs: Weale/Ikeme, Lamey, Moreno, Abe, Wellens, Gallagher, Howard.

Four-Four-Fookin-Two.

It ain't just the fact we're having so many shots and not scoring, it's the fact we're having so many shots, not looking like scoring, and the manager isn't seeing the problem.

Seriously I've found myself backing him big time at points and at other points I've found myself totally baffled by him, I'd give him more time but I ain't encouraged, I worked out our stats earlier: - 7 games, 111 shots (15.85 a game), 62 corners (8.85 a game), 6 goals (0.85 a game), the forwards have a lot to account for, I'm afraid.

Thus: Cheap surely not, and certainly no bargain.

No bargain? Compared to our summer signings I think it's one hell of a deal, to be fair.

Seriously, has Tuesday's game been wiped from the records in a similar way to when we pwned Watford all over the shop 3 years ago?

Pearson didn't even play 4-4-2 ffs, no one was calling for it then.

Maybe that's because it fvcking well worked? He had a short spell of playing 4-3-3 anyway, rarely failed him.

Sousa's experiment in making an average championship side play attractive football is in danger, because too many "fans" would rather watch us win 1-0 playing hoofball, than see us lose playing football.

Strange comment.

Firstly why does it have to be a choice between the two? Pearson seemed pretty good at winning games without resorting to 1-0 hoofball.

Secondly why do you say "fans" as if they are not proper fans for wanting the team to win?

Having slept on this it does not get any better.

Fryatt is the kind of player that can be electric in attack but he also get frustrated and the head drops quickly, making him plough a farrow alone is a waste of time.

As is...

Sticking 3 million quids worth of centre forward out wide

Playing too many holding players in midfield at home.

Forcing the team to overplay out of defence.

Being far too narrow, and not allowing full backs to get right forward and overlap to beat the opposing full back.

Playing a wally in goal that makes the defence nervous.

And then when plan A fails AGAIN reverting to Steve Howard up top and the most industrial route one lower league football you could ever see.

I was willing to sit on my hands if you could see some improvement even if results were not coming, there is no improvement or indication Sousa can learn from his errors.

No bargain? Compared to our summer signings I think it's one hell of a deal, to be fair.

Relatively speaking, you're absolutely right. When you look at how well Mackie works within the Rangers team and how Waghorn, played on the bloody wing, struggles from the start and that Yuki Abe, the other "high-profile" signing, isn't even in Sousa's first-team plans but rotting on the bench, you have to ask yourself what the management's goals/the overall intentions are for this season. Just another transition year? Million-pound players either played out of position or not featuring at all - that's not the future. That's suicidal.

Is Abe not match-fit, lacking the physical power to make it over here in England or is it Sousa's way of saying that he doesn't like the guy?

P.S.: I was more banging on about some QPR fans claiming that Mackie was signed for absolutely cheap. Which he was not.

Just read Sousa's view on the game from the OS...

"We recovered after the goal but they pushed the game into a battle and a physical battle is one we don't know how to win".

Yes its no secret that were not the most physical side in the league, but if other managers are listening/looking to what hes said then theyre gameplan is sorted already.

Am i the only person that looks at it like this? :dunno:

I do too, our Serie A manager doesn't expect his players to get knocked around, he honestly believes that the other 23 managers are going to come and play a nice little game of football, absolutely right in that he's shown his hand 7 games in and told everyone else how to set up their game at the Walkers. His post match wrap up appeared to suggest that no team could come and do that to us? It was Warnock FFS! I switched off when he said Matty had a good game, Matty would be the first to hold his hands up and say it wasn't his best day.

He doesn't know how to change it around, the 2 he took off the bench yesterday were not his signings, his signings are a bag of shit, that's why they are bench warming, other than Kennedy, DNG and Tunch there is little else, I don't believe Abe was a player he has sanctioned the purchase of, he's just part of raising the club profile in that part of the world.

He's got 5 league games for me to start showing improvement, in the meantime, I am sending him a copy of last season's dvd.

Yes we've had a huge amount of shots, but how many of those were actual chances? Most of those shots come from unharmful positions, because we can't get into many goalscoring positions, the only decent chances I can remember yesterday were a scuffed Waghorn shot from around 6 yards, and when Kenny saved from Gallagher late on. Nearlly half of our shots yesterday must have came from Gallagher alone!!

But we have 5 points. You don't get allowed to stay up just for being unlucky or playing 'nice' football.

It's already getting to the stage where this season's a write-off, which is a damn shame, because the division was here for the taking this season as QPR are showing with what is frankly a pretty mediocre team.

no, but the positive thing that some of us see, and why it isn't strictly speaking relegation form is that a lot of the football were playing and the volume of chances we are creating are not that of a team facing relegation.

the problem here is not that we are a bad team playing playing bad football, the problem is application and decision making and these things are attainable but don't happen overnight.

swansea had a start to the season comparable to this and almost made the playoffs in a much tougher division.

it's annoying that last season loads of people on here were expectant of a mid table finish and would have been happy with that, it won't take much to hit those heights this season but suddenly everyone is impatient and sulking cause we don't look like we're going to win the league...

The performance wasnt as good as Tuesday and we still lack any cutting edge. But we werent helped by a totally shit referee.

We do have a few problems in the team, and I think Sousa must take some blame for this.

Everytime Hobbs and Morrison play together at the back, we concede. We really are missing Brown's experience and leadership at the back. But then what is Sousa to do, those two are the best 2 we have at the moment.

Waghorn is not a winger. 2 million is being wasted if he continues to play there. Last season he gave QPR the run around up front with his pace and strengyh, but on the wing he looked poor and out of the game.

Howard should have started, as Fryatt cannot play up front on his own. Not strong enough and doesnt win one single header, He didnt have a good game, but then that might be because of the system.

Archived