Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
zubi

The Documentary Thread

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I don't usually endorse historic documentaries, but for Giorni Di Gloria/Days Of Glory, a 1945 observation of the trial against some of the main culprits of the Fosse Ardeatine massacre (where 335 civilians were shot and buried deep underground as a retaliation following the death of 33 Nazi soldiers at the hands of Italian partisans) and the subsequent death row shootings, I'll make an exception.

Nothing for the squeamish - it includes shots of the corpses unearthed, death row sequences and some very touching footage of surviving family members saying farewell at the burials.

Edited by MC Prussian

Looking forward to catching this when it comes out on DVD as it was only showing in the cinema at two locations in England. I've suffered with it for years and whereas there are scientific explanations for why it happens, it hasn't been fully explained why people see and hear the things they do. The representation of the 'shadow man' there is 100% accurate too. It's absolutely terrifying at times, and even more so when it feels like your ankles are being grabbed and pulled.

Watched a documentary on showbox last night called 'The Imposter'.

It's about a 23 year old french guy who pretended to be a 16 year old American boy who had been misssing since he was 13. It's so bizarre but definitely worth a watch

Seen that before, brilliant watch. It's on putlocker if anyone wants to watch it

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b070jhq6/storyville-20152016-15-the-toughest-horse-race-in-the-world-palio

Fantastic documentary on the Palio de Siena, the toughest horse race in the World. Anyone who likes Horse Racing or Italian culture will love it.

If you think the Italian ultras take the football seriously just watch how serious the people of Siena take the Palio.

• 2 weeks later...

Seen that and It's definitely one of the best music docs I've seen.  :thumbup:

Watched this recently and thought it was poor. It was far too focused on Courtney for my liking and a lot less focused on the music. The previously unforeseen footage was interesting but the overall context of the documentary was pretty uninspiring i thought.

Have been watching some more documentaries on the 1995 Murrah Federal Building bombing in Oklahoma City.

Makes you wonder how much truth there is to the official story and whether Oklahoma really was just a testing ground for the attacks to come.

Hey, I'm not saying I'm believing it - I just find browsing through the official version and hearing actual eye witnesses talk about the event, that there's some serious differences as to what actually happened.

Edited by MC Prussian

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b070jhq6/storyville-20152016-15-the-toughest-horse-race-in-the-world-palio

Fantastic documentary on the Palio de Siena, the toughest horse race in the World. Anyone who likes Horse Racing or Italian culture will love it.

If you think the Italian ultras take the football seriously just watch how serious the people of Siena take the Palio.

Was a good watch, not into horses but love all things Italian so thought I'd give it a go.  The story would make a good feature film.  It was a Storyville docu, they have quite a few interesting programmes.  Saw a few recently, one about the Black Panthers was good, as was the latest one I saw about a famous magician turned psychic / clairvoyant debunker. 

docs.. so many..
 ok..

Adam Curtis, like most of his stuff.  Wasn't so keen on his latest, Bitter Lake, but he's made some great stuff in the past.. Power of Nightmares, Century of the Self, and probably my favourite.. All Watched Over by Machines of Loving Grace

The Cold War (narrated by Kenneth Brannagh) for some reason not available on dvd here but dig online you should find it

The Civil War (Ken Burns) masterpiece

Unforgivable Blackness (Ken Burns) about Jack Johnson the boxer

Jazz (Ken Burns)

The West (Ken Burns)

The Donner Party (Ric Burns)

The World at War (obviously)

The Great War..  I actually prefer this to The World at War.  Michael Redgrave is great as narrator and imo even better than Sir Loz

Tribe (Bruce Parry) absolutely essential viewing imo

On Thin Ice (Ben Fogle, James Cracknell)  If you're of the opinion that Fogle is just a soft posh dick, think again, he IS the man

Civilization (Kenneth Clarke) Classic BBC series

Ascent of Man (Jacob Bronowski) again a classic BBC doc, Bronowski is a fantastically engaging presenter

When We Were Kings (Ali, Foreman) is this the best sports documentary ever?

The Corporation.. Corporations, if viewed as single entities are basically psychopaths

Main ones I can think of off the top of my head, no doubt forgot some really good ones.  I shall certainly keep an eye on the iplayer for new Storyville docs, they often seem to highlight some offbeat and intriguing subject matter.. reminds me of one more I watched recently, it was a Storyville about some of the shit that goes down in Mexico. Cartel Land was the title, inspiring and depressing in almost equal measures.