Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
zubi

The Documentary Thread

And another one from a recent past:

Thomas Young, the paralyzed protagonist, has just hit the news again for wanting to commit suicide by starving to death:

http://www.democracynow.org/blog/2013/3/21/exclusive_tomas_young_reads_in_full_his_letter_to_bush_cheney_a_message_from_a_dying_veteran

If his message and fate doesn't touch you, you're not human.

invisiblewar2.jpg

An investigative documentary about the epidemic of rape of soldiers within the US military.

Gave this a watch and thought it was a quite powerful doc about a disturbing situation. I applaud the victims who have placed themselves on display without being anonymous to show us all how extensive this problem is.

undefeated-poster-400.jpg

An excellent documentary about an underdog football team who look to reverse their fortunes with coach Bill Courtney. Courtney is a great find; the kind of man you find it hard to believe exists in real life. The story is almost too ridiculously moving to be true; a perfect, heart-warming drama that never fails to be uplifting. One of the great underdog stories that every sports fan should watch.

Watched this after your recommendation. Thoroughly enjoyable and uplifting.

I particularly enjoyed the stories of O.C and Money. Especially when O.C was in the car asking for the cologne and when Money found out he received funding.

• 2 weeks later...

http://youtu.be/f1_CVRWQpPg

Juvenile Liaison. Quite unbelievable documentary from 1975 showing how 'naughty kids' were dealt with. It was originally banned & you can understand why Lancashire Police were so against its broadcast.

A bit of a trip down memory lane for me, as I started school in 1975 - the fashion, attitudes to smoking, etc. However, I was never spoken to the way these kids are & there is no way my parents would have allowed it.

There is a follow-up documentary filmed in 1990, showing what happened to the same kids. Just as depressing.

http://youtu.be/WmgikewEpqA

invisiblewar2.jpg

An investigative documentary about the epidemic of rape of soldiers within the US military.

Gave this a watch and thought it was a quite powerful doc about a disturbing situation. I applaud the victims who have placed themselves on display without being anonymous to show us all how extensive this problem is.

:thumbup: Excellent doco. And a rare 100% from the critics on Rotten Tomatoes.

One of the good things about Americans is they're certainly not shy when they go on camera

I've watched a few docs over the last couple of weeks but the two I really enjoyed are..

HBO+Magic+and+Bird+.jpg

Engaging and surprisingly heartfelt retelling of the rivalry between Larry Bird & Magic Johnson; A must watch for sports fans.

In Magic's eyes, the only individual able to challenge him at his own level was Bird. In Bird's mind, the only player who ever got the best of him was Magic. Putting these two superb talents against each other did wonders for the NBA, but maybe more importantly, it showed how despite where one is from geographically, how a person was raised socioeconomically or what zest for life an individual has internally, we each have a language we can use to truly project who we are, for Bird & Magic that language was basketball.

dearzachary.jpg

A film-maker decides to memorialize a murdered friend when his friend's ex-girlfriend announces she is expecting his son.

I'm very late watching this but my god It's a story I won't be forgetting any time soon. It's devastatingly shocking yet profoundly inspiring and the impact of the documentary grips hold of your emotions and won't let go.

If you've not seen this yet I recommend you do.

• 4 weeks later...

56541903_640.jpg

This documentary by Joe Berlinger and Bruce Sinofsky details the murder trial of Delbert Ward. Delbert was a member of a family of four elderly brothers, working as semi-literate farmers and living together in isolation from the rest of society until William's death.

Watched this last night...

It's an earlier documentary from the directors that brought us the Paradise Lost Trilogy which I've got to say was excellent, this however isn't up to the same standard.

It is however still a decent watch and does tell a strong story of how a town can pull together to help a simple man from being railroaded by ambitious prosecutors.

• 1 month later...

Half way through this. About Don McCullin the photographer, and his life as a photojournalist in battles and wars. Really interesting, informative but very graphic documentary film. You don't need to be into photography to find this massively interesting. It just is. Seriously good film. 

mccullin.jpg

56541903_640.jpg

This documentary by Joe Berlinger and Bruce Sinofsky details the murder trial of Delbert Ward. Delbert was a member of a family of four elderly brothers, working as semi-literate farmers and living together in isolation from the rest of society until William's death.

Watched this last night...

It's an earlier documentary from the directors that brought us the Paradise Lost Trilogy which I've got to say was excellent, this however isn't up to the same standard.

It is however still a decent watch and does tell a strong story of how a town can pull together to help a simple man from being railroaded by ambitious prosecutors.

I thought it was brilliant.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...