Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
zubi

The Documentary Thread

Making a doco in 48hrs is a bit of a stiff challenge, even if it's only ten minutes long. The pros would take weeks or months to do that

• 3 weeks later...

Watched this after your recommendation. Thoroughly enjoyable and uplifting.

I particularly enjoyed the stories of O.C and Money. Especially when O.C was in the car asking for the cologne and when Money found out he received funding.

Yeah, great recommendation, Leicfox.

I was genuinely thrilled with those stories, too. Money seemed like such a good kid.

working my way through about 40 ESPN documentaries, and have about 40 more Music documentaries after that.

I can recommend the 30 for 30 espn set.

Utterly brilliant series.

The Two Escobars is immense.

Ditto.

• 3 weeks later...

Something very sad about that. I'm sure the Smithsonian will take it but I'm not sure that they'll be parting with $3 million. Once he's gone I guess it will be auctioned off and that will be that.

Apparently it's not a good a collection as he makes out. Lots of shit he couldn't sell in there.

Interesting wiki article about him and his attempted sales...

One of the first attempts to sell the collection was in 1997. CD Now offered $28.5 million ($40.8 million today) for the collection plus a $100,000/year job ($143,014 today) to Mawhinney to administer the archive.The sale fell through three weeks later when CD Now went to bankruptcy court.

The Library of Congress was set to purchase Mawhinney's collection for several million dollars, as recently as the fall of 2002. That agreement fell through because of budget cuts and difficulty in justifying the purchase using taxpayer dollars.

Mawhinney decided to sell the record archive again in 2008. The collection went on sale on Ebay in February 2008. A winning bid of $3,002,150 ($3.2 million today) came from Ireland. The bid turned out to be a fraud a few days later. The collection went on sale again on eBay in March 2008 but did not end in a sale.

Edited by OzFox

• 6 months later...

This is literally the second best documentary/movie ever made. 6 hours though. Take a week to watch it and wise up.

Trailers :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Uvyw8_8hws

Full film here - thegreateststorynevertold.tv - scroll down for all videos 1-26.

Edit : 2nd link isn't working. Search google for 'Adolf Hitler the greatest story never told'. Site will be there. It's dot tv.

Edited by BoneDog

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Filmmaker Roger Graef speaking at BAFTA:

http://guru.bafta.org/roger-graef-12-point-manifesto-filmmakers-and-commissioners-audio

http://www.televisual.com/news-detail/Graef-sets-out-12-point-doc-manifesto-at-Bafta-tribute_nid-4246.html

Well worth a listen/read for those with an interest in documentaries. And an intact attention span

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...