Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The "do they mean us?" thread

How dare the cheeky twats even imagine themselves to be a rival too us. Piss pot scummy little outfit always have been always will be .

Posh are in a position where they're streets ahead of their normal rivals, Lincoln, Cambridge etc so they're having to find new rivals at the level they aspire to be at. That happens to be us, if they hang around long enough in the top 2 divisions they'll start to include Forest & Derby as well, being the other big clubs of the region. Until they do hang around in the top 2 divisions and eventually win something of note, they'll never be recognised as rivals by the big 3, it will all just be one way. We shouldn't mock them for it though, we'd do the same in their position

Posh are in a position where they're streets ahead of their normal rivals, Lincoln, Cambridge etc so they're having to find new rivals at the level they aspire to be at. That happens to be us, if they hang around long enough in the top 2 divisions they'll start to include Forest & Derby as well, being the other big clubs of the region. Until they do hang around in the top 2 divisions and eventually win something of note, they'll never be recognised as rivals by the big 3, it will all just be one way. We shouldn't mock them for it though, we'd do the same in their position

Don't care how many streets ahead they are they will never come to live in our street. Shitty little ground mentally handycaped fans and no hope and no future. It's called up shit street. :D :D

Edited by flowwolf

did anyone hear neville before the football tonight? was talking about if villa go down and then struggle to get back up...like other 'big football clubs like sheff weds, leeds........and derby county' hahahahaha ive got bigger clubs in my golf bag than the sheep.

WYS

did anyone hear neville before the football tonight? was talking about if villa go down and then struggle to get back up...like other 'big football clubs like sheff weds, leeds........and derby county' hahahahaha ive got bigger clubs in my golf bag than the sheep.

WYS

What and we are any bigger than Derby ?

No i wouldn't say we are. but i certainly wouldnt put the sheep down as a 'great club' like neville said last night. also wouldnt bracket them with clubs like Leeds and Sheff Weds.

WYS

Not a fan of Derby by any stretch, but they were one of the founders of the English League and have won the top division twice. I think they can probably claim to be a bigger club than us, historically speaking.

No i wouldn't say we are. but i certainly wouldnt put the sheep down as a 'great club' like neville said last night. also wouldnt bracket them with clubs like Leeds and Sheff Weds.

WYS

Even though they one the old first division championship something we have and never will do ?

Even though they one the old first division championship something we have and never will do ?

i'm not comparing them with us, yes they have more honours. but are you saying derby are a 'great club' just because they won the old first division on one occasion?

Not a fan of Derby by any stretch, but they were one of the founders of the English League and have won the top division twice. I think they can probably claim to be a bigger club than us, historically speaking.

All sorts of clubs that are considered small have done that though. Huddersfield, Preston, there's probably even smaller clubs that who have done it I think.

That doesn't make you a big club. Back in the day almost everyone had their shot at the big time - Derby were fortunate enough to stumble upon Clough, had it happened to us instead we probably, I would guess, would have won the title and maybe the European cup as well.

In the 60s we were a few games from doing the double - something far more rare than just a title. You can't be a few results shy of being a big club, you're either a big club at heart or you're not.

Support is far more important when you're judging a club's size and potential. Unless you're a club which has consistently won trophies, or has won a huge amount, it doesn't really define your club.

Derby are not a big club, they're certainly smaller than us. All that happened was they got a good manager for a short period. Historically, we've been more consistent than them and our fanbase is certainly bigger.

If you're basing it just on trohpies we've won more than Wednesday post war, but I don't think many people would say we're as big a club as them.

No just in terms of achievement "greater " than us.

Once again yes you could say they are 'greater' than us as they have won more prestigious titles. But are they a 'great' club? Leeds have won the first division multiple times and have also competed in europe at the highest level, so surely they are one of the countries great clubs....derby on the other hand, they set a record for the lowest points tally in the prem (hardly great) and have not competed on the european stage...a 'great' club? your having a laugh.

WYS

Once again yes you could say they are 'greater' than us as they have won more prestigious titles. But are they a 'great' club? Leeds have won the first division multiple times and have also competed in europe at the highest level, so surely they are one of the countries great clubs....derby on the other hand, they set a record for the lowest points tally in the prem (hardly great) and have not competed on the european stage...a 'great' club? your having a laugh.

WYS

Yes the lowest points tally in the prem, think we came runners up in that doubious accolade. They have never had crowds as low as 8.000 as we did under Pleat. In short they are the same as us middle of the road yo yo clubs.

In my opinion, Derby are a big club... I never get the, what seems to be, love in for Sheffield Wednesday. I don't like them myself, but I understand they are a big club. Someone above wouldn't put Derby in the same bracket? Why? Derby have won just as much as Wednesday (for example), they were a founding member of the league, and have at least been in the Premier League this past decade. Ground is nice, fan base is big, home support is good.

Yes the lowest points tally in the prem, think we came runners up in that doubious accolade. They have never had crowds as low as 8.000 as we did under Pleat. In short they are the same as us middle of the road yo yo clubs.

You could also say they've spent multiple seasons in the third tier and we always take more than about 50 fans to away games unlike them.

They may be a similar sized club to us (not bigger though) but to put them in the same category of Villla or even Wednesday is a joke.

You could also say they've spent multiple seasons in the third tier and we always take more than about 50 fans to away games unlike them.

They may be a similar sized club to us (not bigger though) but to put them in the same category of Villla or even Wednesday is a joke.

See my post above. Why? Wednesday have won nothing for years, and they have spent more time than Derby in recent years, in the third tier. They haven't been in the Premier League this past decade, Derby have. I know Wednesday's fan base is big, but so is Derby's. Both have big/good grounds as well.

In my opinion, Derby are a big club... I never get the, what seems to be, love in for Sheffield Wednesday. I don't like them myself, but I understand they are a big club. Someone above wouldn't put Derby in the same bracket? Why? Derby have won just as much as Wednesday (for example), they were a founding member of the league, and have at least been in the Premier League this past decade. Ground is nice, fan base is big, home support is good.

Firstly I'm not sure why this means anything. That just means they got their act together earlier, in the grand scheme of things it's meaningless. I'm pretty sure there are clubs who were founder members of the football league who don't even exist aymore. Some of today's huge clubs didn't even exist back then.

They've been in the Premiership once in the last decade I think, so have Blackpool and Reading, again, in the long run it's meaningless.

Look at the following home and away that Wednesday have. It's bigger than ours and it's certainly bigger than Derby's. Wednesday's away support dwarfs Derby's. In fact their support is one of the best in the league even though they're doing shit. And, not that I think this is that much of a factor (Darlington have a big ground) but their ground makes Pride Park (and the KP) look like shite.

I won't go into another debate about why Derby's home support has been good over the last few years but their away numbers are much more telling. Let's just say ticket prices vary at different grounds.

Oh and Derby haven't won just as much as Wednesday overall. But like I said in the other post, that is less significant because neither have won things regularly in the last 50 years.

Edited by Kitchandro

Fox92 we have been in the prem the past decade a greater amount of time than Dierby C**ty have.

We are a far bigger club than them, compare away attendances and you will see why.

I don't consider us to be a bigger club than Wednesday though.

It's all about a matter of opinion though isn't it, nobody can define 'a big club'. I think Leeds are the biggest then the likes of ourselves, Nottingham Forest, Wolves and Derby are pretty much level. I admit (although I don't like them) Wednesday are a big club as well but I still don't think they are bigger than Derby.

Edited by Fox92

It's all about a matter of opinion though isn't it, nobody can define 'a big club'. I think Leeds are the biggest then the likes of ourselves, Nottingham Forest, Wolves and Derby are pretty much level. I admit (although I don't like them) Wednesday are a big club as well but I still don't think they are bigger than Derby.

Of course it's somewhat a matter of opinon, but I think your opinion is based on bias, as you admit (fairly regularly :D ) that you don't like Wednesday.

I admit I also don't like Derby but when you compare statistics, Wednesday's fanbase is significantly better than Derby's, and it pretty much always has been. I'm not really sure how you can say being the founder member of the football league is as significant as that, opinion or not.

I don't think there is an awful lot between club's like us, Derby, Forest and Wolves - tbh you could throw a blanket over about 7 clubs of around a similar size to us and there isn't a huge amount between them.

I'll drop the debate about Wednesday and Derby if you like but I'll never accept Derby are bigger than us ;)

Fox92 we have been in the prem the past decade a greater amount of time than Dierby C**ty have.

We haven't. Leicester once, Derby once.

I'll drop the debate about Wednesday and Derby if you like but I'll never accept Derby are bigger than us ;)

No mate, I'm all for debating because that's what football is. Matter of opinion. I just wanted someone to justify their opinion, like you did because, as I said, it's all opinion. Nothing defines a big club really (its different for everyone), which is why, (in reference to Happy Fox above), I don't just look at away attendences and say well they are bigger than us (or whatever).

Edited by Fox92

Derby are a big (ish) club but i thought it was wrong and inaccurate for Neville to state that they are a 'great club' and to be placed in the same bracket as Leeds, Villa and Wednesday. Its not a Wednesday love-in, its just what Neville said.

WYS