Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foss1884

No pitch invasion in 10 years

I just thought I would raise this as an issue. As fans despite two promotions in the last 10 years we have never invaded the pitch. I actually think this is a sad thing as every single club who gets promoted or escapes relegation has one and we have shunned two valid opportunities. There will be some that will argue it is a criminal act, but with all due respect, in the last two weeks over ten clubs have experienced pitch invasions and thousands have invaded pitches. I desperately hope that next season if we gain promotion via the automatics that we have a pitch invasion.

Well I think it says something about our support. We are very reserved in more ways than one and when we are not intent on being restrained at games (vocally), we are beset by pessimism.

For me there is no buzz in just politely applauding which is what we have become masters in. It is meant to be tradition alongside the lap of honour.

Tell me, when was the last time you saw Man Utd, Chelsea or Arsenal do a pitch invasion? Or Barcelona when they've won the Champions League?

To my mind, it's just a bit shit!!!

Here lies our problem. We as supporters think very differently to other clubs. We seem to have some degree of "Premier League" or "Chelsea" syndrome where everything is beneath us, or not Leicester enough or is not part of our history.

So because we won't invade our own pitch means that we're not loyal or diehard fans, I'd rather be in the stands with the fans singing our hearts out as we did when we won league 1, where were you sitting to think we were 'quietly applauding'.

Over-policing is the problem. At Southend a number were needlessly handed lengthy bans for going on when we got our second. Then, against Scunny at home, the stewards were willing to go to war with anyone trying to get on.

The mentality of those who run safety at the club is overly militaristic and will make any pitch invasion difficult.

To be fair - I'd just like to have something to celebrate in 12 months time rather than these sentiments of anger and underachievement that I've got at the minute.

So because we won't invade our own pitch means that we're not loyal or diehard fans, I'd rather be in the stands with the fans singing our hearts out as we did when we won league 1, where were you sitting to think we were 'quietly applauding'.

I stand in L1 and for the record this is not the old debate of being plastic or not, but rather an interesting point. It is not about being die-hard either. We as supporters clearly perceive a pitch invasion as nothing momentous or celebratory. I can accept that as clearly the majority agree.

Tell me, when was the last time you saw Man Utd, Chelsea or Arsenal do a pitch invasion? Or Barcelona when they've won the Champions League?

To my mind, it's just a bit shit!!!

To be fair, Arsenal don't really win enough to get the chance of a pitch invasion...

Over-policing is the problem. At Southend a number were needlessly handed lengthy bans for going on when we got our second. Then, against Scunny at home, the stewards were willing to go to war with anyone trying to get on.

The mentality of those who run safety at the club is overly militaristic and will make any pitch invasion difficult.

To be fair - I'd just like to have something to celebrate in 12 months time rather than these sentiments of anger and underachievement that I've got at the minute.

I completely agree with the second point of what you said. We as a club seem to employ a phenomenol amount of stewards and security personnel who are more visible than at other clubs, particularly around the perimeter of the pitch. Our club do seem intent on sterilising the passion of fans.

its funny that people care so much about whether fans should do a pitch invasion or not.

I've seen pitch invasions over here where fans have taken the posts down and took them home.

But no doubt people in england would declare them scum of the earth.

So uptight!

lol

Wooo, lets all run onto a patch if grass because thats the only way to celebrate.

What is the fascination, go down the park if you want to stand of grass which has football played on it

Sometimes its good to let your hair down :) , live a little....

When we invaded the pitch after beating Oxford (1-0) to stay up in the last game of the season (1990/91) , the pitch invasion seemed the right thing to do and was oh so euphoric.

A few people I've spoken to who have invaded pitches in celebration before say that after the first 30 seconds or so you realise you're just stood on a pitch and it's not that special, really.

its funny that people care so much about whether fans should do a pitch invasion or not.

I've seen pitch invasions over here where fans have taken the posts down and took them home.

But no doubt people in england would declare them scum of the earth.

So uptight!

lol

We do seem a tad uptight in my opinion. We seem to think that we if we invade the pitch, we cannot sing and embrace a carnival atmosphere. I would love the crowd to embrace the players and carry Nugent and Beckford in a sea of supporters all singing together. I looked at Southampton enviously as all four sides of the ground swallowed the entire team and actually celebrated WITH them.

I doubt we will get to at our ground due to how the seating plan is and the railings at the first row of seats(plus the majority of these are covered with advertising boardings) so you wouldn't be able to go underneath them. The only way we would be able to is get around 100 or so lads on to the flooring at the front then go from there.

Archived