Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Muggleton on Pearson

Merc

Former Leicester City goalkeeper Carl Muggleton says he was inspired to become a coach by Nigel Pearson.

Muggleton, who is looking to get back into the game after leaving Notts County, where he was assistant manager last season under Martin Allen, was a player at Stoke when current City boss Pearson was at the start of his coaching career.

He says that even then it was obvious Pearson was going to go on to be a top manager.

"He is a very good coach and got me on the coaching ladder," said Muggleton.

"I wouldn't have gone into coaching if it wasn't for him.

"It was the way he was with people out on the coaching pitch. You could always see he was going to go into management. He has that aura about him.

"He is very good with the players. At the time, he was working with England youth and he knew what players were like and what they want.

"Players relate to him and respect him. They look up to him. He is a good all-rounder on the pitch and seems to get that discipline off the pitch.

"He is very knowledgeable and that helps him because he knows the young players coming through, and you can see that now with the likes of Ben Marshall when he picked him up. He knows what players are emerging.

"I was getting to that age when you think about what you are going to do and I just sat down and had a chat with him.

"It must have been about an hour or so about what I was going to do next, and how I was going to go about it. That led me into the coaching direction."

Muggleton said Pearson is the right man to lead City back to the Premier League, but believes it is absolutely vital they make a good start to next season.

"It is great to have Nigel back," he said.

"It was a disappointing season last year for all the supporters and everyone associated with the club. Everyone was expecting big things with the money that was spent last year.

"They were highly-rated for promotion but it didn't happen. But I think Nigel will change a few things around and bring a few new faces in, and they will be up there next season.

"They need a good start to the season and continue it through the year. It is vital for the manager and vital for everyone that they have a good start. You need that to get the momentum going."

Muggleton had spells coaching at Notts County, under former City bosses Sven-Goran Eriksson and Allen, as well as Cheltenham and Mansfield Town, and is looking to get back into the game.

"I left Notts when Martin left and I am back with the driving school at the moment but, ideally, I would love to get back into football in some capacity," he said.

"Football is my blood and I want to stay in the game as long as I can. Hopefully, something will come up somewhere along the line."

Makes for a good read this..

Muggleton's a good Leicester lad and I doubt would say this for effect. If he's fishing for a job then so be it. I wouldn't blame him. However, I think he's probably genuine in his comments. Cue the usual Foxes Talk cynicism.....

Not many people (except for Dangerous Tiger) seem to have much bad to say about Pearson to be fair.

The key factor is a good start to the season as you saw with Sven 13 games in and 20 points, that form would give you place just outside the playoffs or just creeping in to 6th place. NP imo needs to get a minimum of 30 points from 15 games, otherwise the Thais may pull the trigger on him, which could dent our promotion hopes again.

It's nice to read comments like these. Nigel comes across as a nice guy, I've met him a few times at away games before, and when professionals make these sorts of comments, then in my opinion it's great. I really hope we can gain promotion, obviously I've always wanted this whoever the manager, but Nigel is just a great man :blush:

The key factor is a good start to the season as you saw with Sven 13 games in and 20 points, that form would give you place just outside the playoffs or just creeping in to 6th place. NP imo needs to get a minimum of 30 points from 15 games, otherwise the Thais may pull the trigger on him, which could dent our promotion hopes again.

If you get 30 points from 15 next year you will be top of the league...can see it being very competitive, cant see anybody running away with it at this stage

If you get 30 points from 15 next year you will be top of the league...can see it being very competitive, cant see anybody running away with it at this stage

I can see us running away with it.

Promoted by easter.

Depends, Sven received the backing to runaway with an automatic spot... but didn't & was in a poor run from the previous Feb that he seemed clueless to turn around, which probably hastened their decision.

The Thai's or perhaps it's just NP, are going about it in a more sustainable way now... with that in mind (if its on their reduced level of backing & higher wage people tipped for the exit) they'll be aware the sustainable approach may take time & we won't actually see a new manager appointed in October's international breaks... barring any Sousa-style disasters of course.

Archived