Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Wembley: 31st May 1993 - The Agony

After yesterday's nostalgic ecstasy today's nostalgia is agony to ecstasy and finally agony .

[media=]

[/media]

Guest MattP

The moment when Thommo rolled the ball in for 3-3 will live with me forever....

It does, remember it like it as yesterday.

I remember that 3rd goal going in pandemonium everywhere....but got the feeling that it want going to be our day...such a pity we got done by a dodgy pen for the 2nd year running, didnt bother the year later...and of course we won lol.

I didn't know you had a lisp Davie.

I didn't actually see the first 2 goals, I had my head buried in disappointment almost crying, by the time we had it back to 2-3, I was convinced me not looking was good luck, so I looked away again and looked up to see Thommo slot the 3rd home, it didn't work for the rest of the game. Probably the least amount of a game I have ever seen. Still it all made perfect sense to my 12 year old logic.

Well such is football , they won that day and we went home with heartache yet again with the Wembley hoodoo to live with.

But as we all know they had just the one season in the prem then a steady spiral back to the obscurity they came from. Where as we were back there the next year to win at Wembley for the first time and then despite relegation back again for the Palace match and on to the glorious Mon years.

If only I could have seen into the future that day I would not have cried so much.

On 25th May, it was 20 years since the Blackburn defeat as well.

Jeez that makes me feel old. I was 11 and remember bawling all the way home after we'd lost. Blazing hot day, first trip to Wembley it should never have ended like that!

Jeez that makes me feel old. I was 11 and remember bawling all the way home after we'd lost. Blazing hot day, first trip to Wembley it should never have ended like that!

Yes but we had the Swindon final to look forward to next year.

I didn't know you had a lisp Davie.

I didn't actually see the first 2 goals, I had my head buried in disappointment almost crying, by the time we had it back to 2-3, I was convinced me not looking was good luck, so I looked away again and looked up to see Thommo slot the 3rd home, it didn't work for the rest of the game. Probably the least amount of a game I have ever seen. Still it all made perfect sense to my 12 year old logic.

You enjoy taking the pith don't you!

Was there - no amount of beer took the bad taste away that night. Curiously, I did some work a few years ago with a guy who was on the bench for Swindon on the day of that game. He said that the guy who came on and won the penalty (Steve White??????????) had been in the management team's ears for the 20 minutes prior to coming on as a late sub saying "get me on - I'll get us a peno" !!!!!!!! Funnily enough, my beer tasted even worse that night than the original night !!

Archived