Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Danny the Fox 95

Standing at home games?

Why doesn't anyone who sits in the Kop stands at games? Surely it would improve the atmosphere, we all stand at away games and the atmosphere and support is usually very good. Would be brilliant this year if the whole of L and K blocks stand, and the majority of the Kop does too!

I pay for a seat, so I sit in it. Not a case of being boring or miserable, just my personal preference. I just cant be arsed to stand and I dont see how it makes such a massive difference to the atmosphere.

I pay for a seat, so I sit in it. Not a case of being boring or miserable, just my personal preference. I just cant be arsed to stand and I dont see how it makes such a massive difference to the atmosphere.

Well the difference between away games and home games is people stand up at away. And this makes more atmosphere, and it makes chants look better too. :thumbup:

Well the difference between away games and home games is people stand up at away. And this makes more atmosphere, and it makes chants look better too. :thumbup:

Only at certain grounds though, imo. The better atmosphere's are the older grounds. I cannot see how people standing at a newer ground like the KP would improve the atmosphere.

You need people in numbers, or you just chucked out.

very true. I want the atmosphere to be like Filbert St, obviously I was young when I went, but I can still remember it and also from videos like Leicester vs Newcastle in 1992 ,and Leicester vs Cambridge in the play off semi in 1992.

Only at certain grounds though, imo. The better atmosphere's are the older grounds. I cannot see how people standing at a newer ground like the KP would improve the atmosphere.

Yeah, but you could say that about Stoke and the Britannia Stadium. They still make a noise even though it is a modern ground. We do have loud fans at away games, why can't we replicate that at home games.

I agree! I sit at the top of SK3 and stand up but its only the top few rows, it would be good to see the Kop like L1 is tbh :)

:thumbup:

Yeah, but you could say that about Stoke and the Britannia Stadium. They still make a noise even though it is a modern ground. We do have loud fans at away games, why can't we replicate that at home games.

Interesting example considering I've never seen the majority of Stoke fans standing.

This has been mentioned so many times, but here we go again....

When we relocated from Filbert St, the club tried to offer fans like for like seats in the new stadium. Consequently, those fans who sat in the Diuble Decker had first choice for the back of the new Kop.

These are fans who preferred to sit, and like to view the game from an elevated position behind the goal. Many have had their STs since we've moved, and if anyone suggests that they move, they get very uppity, and I can see their point.

With the benefit of hindsight, and using common sense, I would have thought that whilst we are not in any danger of selling out, the best thing to do would be to;

a) move the Kop to the North Stand, and make it unreserved seating. Not only would be being next to the away fans encourage more vocal support (think of Southampton), but it's easier to prevent migration, as there is one access point, not two (from the West Stand), which could be blocked off;

b) move the family area to the SW corner. The North stand often looks far less populated than other areas, and it keeps those easily offended or upset by "boisterous" language would be further away, and could be extended to the South stand if demand was there.

I have raised these at the FCC meetings, and neither is going to happen. For a start, the club was advised when we moved to keep the away fans in the NE corner, away from where the Koppites were meant to go. Secondly, putting family areas next to away fans is supposed to lead to fewer flash points between opposing fans, and to encourage self-pleasing. Which hasn't worked, but the club won't move from that advice.

Standing ends produce more noise than sitting ends. You can't sing properly sitting down but you can happy clap if thats your preference!

Interesting example considering I've never seen the majority of Stoke fans standing.

Britannia is overrated, good for their 1st two years in the Prem when parts of the Boothen End used to stand.

Now it's just shit like the majority of grounds

This has been mentioned so many times, but here we go again....

When we relocated from Filbert St, the club tried to offer fans like for like seats in the new stadium. Consequently, those fans who sat in the Diuble Decker had first choice for the back of the new Kop.

These are fans who preferred to sit, and like to view the game from an elevated position behind the goal. Many have had their STs since we've moved, and if anyone suggests that they move, they get very uppity, and I can see their point.

With the benefit of hindsight, and using common sense, I would have thought that whilst we are not in any danger of selling out, the best thing to do would be to;

a) move the Kop to the North Stand, and make it unreserved seating. Not only would be being next to the away fans encourage more vocal support (think of Southampton), but it's easier to prevent migration, as there is one access point, not two (from the West Stand), which could be blocked off;

b) move the family area to the SW corner. The North stand often looks far less populated than other areas, and it keeps those easily offended or upset by "boisterous" language would be further away, and could be extended to the South stand if demand was there.

I have raised these at the FCC meetings, and neither is going to happen. For a start, the club was advised when we moved to keep the away fans in the NE corner, away from where the Koppites were meant to go. Secondly, putting family areas next to away fans is supposed to lead to fewer flash points between opposing fans, and to encourage self-pleasing. Which hasn't worked, but the club won't move from that advice.

Be gone with your common sense solutions!

How dare you sully FCC meetings and threads like this with your informed thinking!

some people dont stand up in the KOp is because the people who SHOULD sit in the family stand decide to sit in the kop for atmosphere when the atmosphere is only created when poeple stand up!!!

Thats true, a lot of families or kids sit in the Kop.

Obviously singing is what creates atmosphere but I find when people stand up they sing more and sing louder!

A lot of fans standing up singing as one is more intimidating to the away fans rather than a load of people sitting down.

I prefer standing as well, can't fit my legs in lol

Standing ends produce more noise than sitting ends. You can't sing properly sitting down but you can happy clap if thats your preference!

I imagine they do. I've been to games where I've sat down, and I've been to away games where I've stood.

But safety is an issue. Believe me, I'm not one for "health and safety here, health and safety here" but you'll get some idiots. For example, I once went to Scunthorpe away when we all stood. We scored, and then a group of teenage lads jumped on each other and nearly crushed a young child. His dad had to get involved. Incidents like these that can still happen.

If you want to stand, go and stand. Simple. As long as people don't stand and be stupid in front of me and my family, I'm not really bothered. I'll probably stick to "happy clapping" :rolleyes:

(And I didn't mention the Britannia Stadium, I was simply replying to the OP).

I imagine they do. I've been to games where I've sat down, and I've been to away games where I've stood.

But safety is an issue. Believe me, I'm not one for "health and safety here, health and safety here" but you'll get some idiots. For example, I once went to Scunthorpe away when we all stood. We scored, and then a group of teenage lads jumped on each other and nearly crushed a young child. His dad had to get involved. Incidents like these that can still happen.

If you want to stand, go and stand. Simple. As long as people don't stand and be stupid in front of me and my family, I'm not really bothered. I'll probably stick to "happy clapping" :rolleyes:

(And I didn't mention the Britannia Stadium, I was simply replying to the OP).

People stand up when we score anyway whether they were standing or sitting before the goal was scored. So they can quite easily 'act a prat' at anytime. It isn't a standing only away end trait

I know quite a lot of people who sing from the KOP have moved to L1/K1 this season. Also know that some people are starting a singing section in N1 next to the away fans. Where I have got a season ticket this season.

I can see the stewards clamping down hard on people standing too much is N1, i'll be keeping an eye on that part of the ground in 11 days time!

Just move to L1 K1, simple! I sit in the family with my two kids and there is more atmosphere in there than the kop. For night matches I used to move to the kop but don't bother now as the family is better. Whoever said the family is less packed than other areas of the ground is talking crack. The family has a lot of season ticket holders and is well patronised. Anyone who wants to stand and sing needs to move to L/K1. We need to move away from the idea that the kop is a kop, it is nothing like the filbert street version and I think we should stop calling it that.

Just move to L1 K1, simple! I sit in the family with my two kids and there is more atmosphere in there than the kop. For night matches I used to move to the kop but don't bother now as the family is better. Whoever said the family is less packed than other areas of the ground is talking crack. The family has a lot of season ticket holders and is well patronised. Anyone who wants to stand and sing needs to move to L/K1. We need to move away from the idea that the kop is a kop, it is nothing like the filbert street version and I think we should stop calling it that.

Not really, because it's a season ticket only area and I doubt people will give them up, so moving in will be tough.

Not really, because it's a season ticket only area and I doubt people will give them up, so moving in will be tough.

a couple of my mates moved a few years ago. they just got there on the day the early bird (renewels) ended and they went on general sale. people were always going to forget so they just snapped some up that why.

if the club cared about the atmopshere they'd do something. At rangers for example they gave their ultra group a new section behind the goal which involved moving season ticket holders and has improved the atmosphere at ibrox. Our club seemingly couldnt careless.....baffles me why not, but its england, it never fails to amaze me why clubs want quiet stadiums.

I managed to get three match tickets in K1 row FF, which is the first time I've been in K1 since Sheffield Wednesday last came, we've been at the top of J3 since then!

And the family stand is the new Kop, the kids love the new songs and really get involved. Eventually they will stop going with their parents and start going with their mates, then hey presto, we have a new generation of fans who want to sing loud and support the team!

Archived