Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Danny the Fox 95

Standing at home games?

I doubt it's meant in that way, given the context of some of the other chants.

Sounds sarcastic to me.

Sarcasm is wit just the lowest form of it they say :P

I'm not saying it is funny I'm saying that when it was discussed before many on here said it was just joking and that people should not get so uptight about it. A lot of the chants in recent years have been anti-own/opposition fan rather than directly supportive of the team, there's nothing wrong with a bit of clever chanting aim at the opposition but as Lisa said chants about being fat, ugly, getting tits out, taking it up the arse etc are just so passé and really neither clever nor funny any more.

To pick up on a few points

Firstly, we back one of Lisa's earlier posts in terms of how the ground could be switched around,but also sitting on the FCC agree it won't happen.

Also discussed at an FCC meeting in the past, was moving the away fans to the near the Kop, however that will never happen either as the H & S guys want away fans located in the easiest point to get them out of the ground & directly onto coaches, so they won't be located at the opposite end of the ground.

In terms of making the East Stand a standing area - if you mean the entire East Stand, that won't happen either, as the seats near the half way line are some of most expensive in the ground & have a high take up of season tickets (with a high proportion having been there since the ground opened)

I used to go in the Kop at Filbert Street and as most people do I remember it with great affection.

But, the new stadium (which I still call it) is never going to be Filbert Street. The things we used to do in a compact, old fashioned ground do not translate well to a modern bowl. The new songs from last year, with their more continental flavour, seem to fill the ground and get people going much more than the traditional songs from Filbert Street.

So I think we have to roll with the changes.

I also think that new standing areas would be a great idea.

The "if you're watching on TV..." chant upset quite a few people. If you can't see why, then you should be made to sit in a dark room with RL for company until you work it out.

When was this sung? :blink:

Derby away on that Thursday night game.

And Southampton away, and practically every away game last season that was televised.

Are you new in L1? I think you will be made to sit but goodluck, would love to see all of L1 stood.

3rd season there but I'm just going to make up some story for me not sitting down as part of some condition.... Ricketts maybe?!

I like to stand so I buy a season ticket at the back of SK1 so nobody is blocked by me. The atmosphere could be better but it's not helped by standard generic rubbish like 'watching on the telly' . As others have said good old fashioned banter seems to have gone with rare exceptions such as 'you've stolen our seats' and 'small town near Lapland'. Being few and far between.

Friendly games seem to produce a bit of banter but we need to try to get this rapport back with away fans to improve things but it's difficult as many will only sing standard easy songs and not join in spontaneous chants for fear of looking silly.

Why doesn't anyone who sits in the Kop ground stands chant at games? Surely it would improve the atmosphere, we all stand chant at away games and the atmosphere and support is usually very good. Would be brilliant this year if the whole of L and K blocks stand stadium, and the majority of the Kop West Stand does too!

I like to stand so I buy a season ticket at the back of SK1 so nobody is blocked by me. The atmosphere could be better but it's not helped by standard generic rubbish like 'watching on the telly' . As others have said good old fashioned banter seems to have gone with rare exceptions such as 'you've stolen our seats' and 'small town near Lapland'. Being few and far between.

Friendly games seem to produce a bit of banter but we need to try to get this rapport back with away fans to improve things but it's difficult as many will only sing standard easy songs and not join in spontaneous chants for fear of looking silly.

I'm at the back of SK1 for the same reason, a group of us who had all been season ticket holders in SK1 at Filbert St all brought our tickets together on the original opening day at the Walkers 10 years ago with the sole intention of being as far back as possible, we took most of the seats in the back 2 rows for a few years, so we could stand and hoped we could create something like what we had at Filbert St, but sadly with the lack of away fans to have banter with and people choosing to sit in areas such as L1 the Kop at filbert way has nothing on Filbert St. At times it felt as if we spent 90 mins singing on our own, for the 1st 2 seasons, but with the lack of people wanting to join in, slowly most of my mates have drifted away from the game as it just wasn't the same once we moved. From the original 12 or so that went week in week out we are down to 3.

I think you attribute this to

The Away fans being to far away

The splitting of the original kopites between SK1 and L1

New Grounds attract a different type of client ( remember 14k was a decent crowd at this level at filbert st, 21K is now considered poor due to the stadium capacity) but we have to accept that it is 7k more and they maybe people who like the corporate side of things at the new ground and a lot more families.

When I started going I would suggest the percentage of the crowd that was Men/boys who wanted to let of steam, stand up and use language I dare not repeat at home at the time, was a lot higher than it was now, look at the number of families attending with mums and daughters alike.

I still like to stand at games and that is why I am still at the back of SK1, I love away games with old fashioned terraces, but L1 is not for me at the minute my kids are too small, but I will, as they grow older explain what Filbert St was like and that if they want to move to L1 (if possible at the time) then they can.

Filbert Way never being full at this level and having the pitch to far away from the stands, a flaw in all new grounds IMO, doesn't help but whilst we don't have safe standing, the only standing you are likely to get is going to be in L1, there are to many families, elder generations spread out around the ground now to get the kop for example to stand on mass for 90 mins.

I have no problem with L1 being the NEW KOP in a way and love the fact the kids that are the next generation seem to love the new songs etc. As they could be the new L1 in years to come and hope that they can find a way to create an atmosphere for years to come.But with legislation as it is and a big soul less bowl I think the end of last season showed what can be done, but it will never live upto filbert st, however good times get.

I sit row H in L1 and I will be standing, don't like it than tell the stewards.

That's what I'm going to do in L1 this season too.

So you think that's fair do you? If someone behind you has paid for a ticket to watch the match and you stand up for 90 minutes and block out their view? What if it's some old fella with a bad hip who can't stand for 90 minutes? Is it fair to block them because you want to stand up? You might think you're entitled to stand, but the person behind you is more entitled to a clear view of the match without having it impeded by you. Like it or not, you're paying for a SEAT, it doesn't matter where in the ground you are. The days of standing at LCFC matches are long gone and safe standing doesn't look like it will be introduced any time soon, so unfortunately you've got to like it or lump it. If you want terracing, go and support Hinckley, if you can't enjoy a football game without standing, don't go down the City.

How would you like it if you went to the cinema and I had the seat in front of you and I decided I wanted to stand up and watch the film because that's just how I like it?

So you think that's fair do you? If someone behind you has paid for a ticket to watch the match and you stand up for 90 minutes and block out their view? What if it's some old fella with a bad hip who can't stand for 90 minutes? Is it fair to block them because you want to stand up? You might think you're entitled to stand, but the person behind you is more entitled to a clear view of the match without having it impeded by you. Like it or not, you're paying for a SEAT, it doesn't matter where in the ground you are. The days of standing at LCFC matches are long gone and safe standing doesn't look like it will be introduced any time soon, so unfortunately you've got to like it or lump it. If you want terracing, go and support Hinckley, if you can't enjoy a football game without standing, don't go down the City.

How would you like it if you went to the cinema and I had the seat in front of you and I decided I wanted to stand up and watch the film because that's just how I like it?

Twaddle.

Unless somebody has just recovered from a coma they'd been in since 2002, every fan knows exactly what to expect at the back of L1. If you go to the back of the stand expecting to sit because there are seats, you're massively detached from the reality of the situation. Why would anyone buy a season ticket in L1 where it's far from the cheapest area of the ground when there is an abundance of areas to choose from, mostly cheaper, expecting to sit? Bizarre logic. The rules may be there, but they mean sod all in L1 and haven't for a long time.

As for the sentence 'if you can't enjoy a football game without standing, don't go down the City,' I'm tempted not to respond to it but will bite anyway. Find me a stadium in the Championship where there is ZERO standing next season. There is a demand for standing whether you like it or not, and telling people not to attend just because you don't agree with the way they enjoy the game is nothing short of breathtaking arrogance.

Not even bothering with the last sentence, that's such a stupid point you HAVE to be trolling.

I agree, it's an absolute pain in the arse when you want to sit and watch a game without some twit standing up all the time in front of you.

At the present time it's an all seated stadium. Just because somebody WANTS to stand in front of someone sitting down it doesn't mean they have the right to. It's a good job they don't stand near where I sit cos some of the bigger blokes wanting to sit would me more than happy to have a row.

However, this is exactly why there should be designated safe standing. So that those who want to stand up, jump around and kiss each other when we score can do so, without the need to disrupt anyone else.

Surely this is mere common sense?

Twaddle.

Unless somebody has just recovered from a coma they'd been in since 2002, every fan knows exactly what to expect at the back of L1. If you go to the back of the stand expecting to sit because there are seats, you're massively detached from the reality of the situation. Why would anyone buy a season ticket in L1 where it's far from the cheapest area of the ground when there is an abundance of areas to choose from, mostly cheaper, expecting to sit? Bizarre logic. The rules may be there, but they mean sod all in L1 and haven't for a long time.

As for the sentence 'if you can't enjoy a football game without standing, don't go down the City,' I'm tempted not to respond to it but will bite anyway. Find me a stadium in the Championship where there is ZERO standing next season. There is a demand for standing whether you like it or not, and telling people not to attend just because you don't agree with the way they enjoy the game is nothing short of breathtaking arrogance.

Not even bothering with the last sentence, that's such a stupid point you HAVE to be trolling.

I'm just playing devil's advocate, personally I don't mind standing at matches and as long as you're not hurting anyone then go for it - I like standing and one of the best games I went to last season was West Ham away where the whole stand were on their feet. However, I do take issue with it when it affects someone else's enjoyment of the game. If someone wants to sit down to watch the game and paid for their tickets, they've got more of a right to that than I have to stand for the entire game. To effectively say 'I'm going to stand no matter what and if you don't like it, tough' is very selfish IMO, regardless of your stance on standing at games. While there is no safe standing legislation in place, the people who want to sit down at games and enjoy it should be able to do so. I agree - at the back of L1 you know what you're going to get, but that doesn't make it ok to take such a selfish, rude stance.

Think what you like about my final point, you wouldn't do it anywhere else, why do it at the football?

Think what you like about my final point, you wouldn't do it anywhere else, why do it at the football?

Rugby? Cricket? Speedway?

Outside of sport, concerts?

I agree, it's an absolute pain in the arse when you want to sit and watch a game without some twit standing up all the time in front of you.

At the present time it's an all seated stadium. Just because somebody WANTS to stand in front of someone sitting down it doesn't mean they have the right to. It's a good job they don't stand near where I sit cos some of the bigger blokes wanting to sit would me more than happy to have a row.

However, this is exactly why there should be designated safe standing. So that those who want to stand up, jump around and kiss each other when we score can do so, without the need to disrupt anyone else.

Surely this is mere common sense?

I feel sorry for you having to sit near DANGEROUS TIGER! big_tiger_009.gif

I'm just playing devil's advocate, personally I don't mind standing at matches and as long as you're not hurting anyone then go for it - I like standing and one of the best games I went to last season was West Ham away where the whole stand were on their feet. However, I do take issue with it when it affects someone else's enjoyment of the game. If someone wants to sit down to watch the game and paid for their tickets, they've got more of a right to that than I have to stand for the entire game. To effectively say 'I'm going to stand no matter what and if you don't like it, tough' is very selfish IMO, regardless of your stance on standing at games. While there is no safe standing legislation in place, the people who want to sit down at games and enjoy it should be able to do so. I agree - at the back of L1 you know what you're going to get, but that doesn't make it ok to take such a selfish, rude stance.

Standing up in the West Stand where everybody around is sitting would be selfish, but in L1 it would be following what everybody else wants. I would argue that somebody who bought a season ticket at the back of L1 and tried to make people around them sit against their wishes would be selfish, the fact that there are seats in L1 has long been completely irrelevant. It's known as the standing area of the ground just as the West Stand is known as the quiet area of the ground. It might break the ground regulations but to be honest, it's long been crying out for safe standing because the seats are just not wanted or needed.

On the last sentence, it was a daft analogy to make because to the best of the knowledge there has never been any great culture of showing support in cinemas and it's more than reasonable to expect EVERYONE to sit quietly and watch the film, two completely different arenas. I certainly never found any need to stand up and sing for the X Men when I visited Showcase a couple of years back anyway. Though I did whistle 'Erik Lensherr, what a willy puller' to myself. :)

I feel sorry for you having to sit near DANGEROUS TIGER! big_tiger_009.gif

Standing up in the West Stand everybody around is sitting would be selfish, but in L1 it would be following what everybody else wants. I would argue that somebody who bought a season ticket at the back of L1 and tried to make people around them sit against their wishes would be selfish, the fact that there are seats in L1 has long been completely irrelevant. It's known as the standing area of the ground just as the West Stand is known as the quiet area of the ground.

On the last sentence, it was a daft analogy to make because to the best of the knowledge there has never been any great culture of showing support in cinemas and it's more than reasonable to expect EVERYONE to sit quietly and watch the film, two completely different arenas. I certainly never found any need to stand up and sing for the X Men when I visited Showcase a couple of years back anyway.

I was making my point seriously Bilo.

There have been many a game where I sit where someone has stood up, someone has taken exception and it's very nearly ended up as a row.

The shouts of 'sit down' are usually met with the person sitting down or turning round to have a butchers at the 'shouter'.

This ain't good is it?

I agree that a part of the ground should be for standing. However, until it is, respect needs to be given to all those affected.

Archived