Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bald reynard

Whitbread - do we know what the problem was/is ?

Do we know what the reason was why Whitbread has hardly played a game all summer ? I'm sure I've never read anything about him carrying an injury when we signed him, or picking up an injury in training. I know he was a bit injury-plagued for most of his career, but I think played most games at the end of last season. It's all very strange - even Pearson hasn't said anything about why he was not fit for the start of the season, or why he didn't play in any Friendlies - just that (he kept saying), "we expect him back soon" ! Obviously the Burton match knackered him again - though I see he's SUPPOSED to be turning out for the U-21's tonight (along with Wellens) !

He was a free agent right? So that means he has had no pre-season training with a squad. Pearson is a fan of sport sciences and wouldn't start a player not fit enough to handle the pace of the game. I assume it was just his level of stamina and monitoring his weaknesses to strengthen the right places.

He's had lots of injury problems lol.

He barely played at the end of last season and barely had a pre-season. Therefore isn't match fit. And given how he played vs Burton, as well as how well Morgan and Moore are playing, I don't envisage seeing him anytime soon.

I think the emergence of Liam Moore also means we don't need to rush him so it would make sense to play a few times with U21's and get match fit. I think that, because of his injury problems, we are treating him with kid gloves so as to avoid the risk of breakdown. Hopefully that patience pays off because personally I am not a big fan of SSL. I would be surprised if he wasn't in the squad after the International break, all being well.

I'm surprised defensive cover isn't being treated more urgently - against different opponents playing Konch at centre back would have been a disaster. With Moore cover for De Laet yet playing regularly at centre back, we need at least a cover left back and one more centre back. As it is we're very vulnerable to injuries to defenders and have a bench creaking with forwards..

I'm surprised defensive cover isn't being treated more urgently - against different opponents playing Konch at centre back would have been a disaster. With Moore cover for De Laet yet playing regularly at centre back, we need at least a cover left back and one more centre back. As it is we're very vulnerable to injuries to defenders and have a bench creaking with forwards..

We've got loads

De Laet/Moore/SSL at RB

Morgan/Moore at CB and cover by SSL/Taft/De Laet and soon Whitbread

Konch/Schlupp at LB and cover by Taft

Sign anyone else and we'll have toys being thrown out of prams again

Beckford will probably be gone when the loan window opens and I'd expect a few loan deals to come in, there could be a potential Hobbs type amongst them as well as a forward.

Yeah a Blackpool side who were unbeaten and top of the league were never likely to pose too much of a threat going forward.

Forgive me for being 'negative' lol but I'm a but surprised Nige don't sign a second centre back who was going to obviously be first choice.

All this talk of Whitbreads fitness and 'lack of confidence' is a little strange.

Moore has done really well with Wes but I doubt he was going to be picked to play all four games.

I guess it's gonna be SSL and Morgan as first choice until Whitbread is 'available for selection'. Although SSL actually started right back on Saturday.

It all seems a bit makeshift at the moment.

He's had lots of injury problems lol.

He barely played at the end of last season and barely had a pre-season. Therefore isn't match fit. And given how he played vs Burton, as well as how well Morgan and Moore are playing, I don't envisage seeing him anytime soon.

Apart from one mistake he was superb against Burton

Yeah a Blackpool side who were unbeaten and top of the league were never likely to pose too much of a threat going forward.

I was thinking of against a side with a darius henderson type forward - you're surely not suggesting Konch is an absolutely safe option at CB - especially as we have no-one on the first team squad as direct cover for him at LB. I really wasn't being negative or critical, just pointing out a potential weakness, which I think we ought to try and address.

We've got loads

De Laet/Moore/SSL at RB

You can probably spot the weakness for yourself there. Just writing it out makes it clear. SSL is first cover in two positions - you can't have Moore as cover at RB when he's first choice centre back, I haven't seen Taft but as he's yet to make the bench I'm assuming NFP doesn't think him ready. Schlupp can't be anything more than a makeshift at left back can he? My point remains, with De Laet and Whitbread struggling for fitness, one more injury takes us to players playing out of position.

I was thinking of against a side with a darius henderson type forward - you're surely not suggesting Konch is an absolutely safe option at CB - especially as we have no-one on the first team squad as direct cover for him at LB. I really wasn't being negative or critical, just pointing out a potential weakness, which I think we ought to try and address.

We've got loads

De Laet/Moore/SSL at RB

You can probably spot the weakness for yourself there. Just writing it out makes it clear. SSL is first cover in two positions - you can't have Moore as cover at RB when he's first choice centre back, I haven't seen Taft but as he's yet to make the bench I'm assuming NFP doesn't think him ready. Schlupp can't be anything more than a makeshift at left back can he? My point remains, with De Laet and Whitbread struggling for fitness, one more injury takes us to players playing out of position.

I think you might be worrying too much. De Laet can play any position across the back. In total, there are 7 senior defenders which I think is just right. A few of these are versatile, and then there's Taft who is meant to have potential. If there's an injury crisis, we can still use the loan market.

I'm guessing you didn't see the Blackpool match, because Schlupp looked like a natural LB. He has played there before. I'm sure he'll be working on this position in training.

I think you might be worrying too much. De Laet can play any position across the back. In total, there are 7 senior defenders which I think is just right. A few of these are versatile, and then there's Taft who is meant to have potential. If there's an injury crisis, we can still use the loan market.

I'm guessing you didn't see the Blackpool match, because Schlupp looked like a natural LB. He has played there before. I'm sure he'll be working on this position in training.

Maybe I am worrying too much (I'll discuss with therapist). But De Laet may be able to play right across the back but he's currently injured. And is he just as good at left back and centre back as he is at right back? Or is it the case that he CAN play there if called upon? Yes I did see Blackpool match but I didn't see Schlupp as a natural left back. I saw him as a player filling in and doing his best. As I say Taft hasn't played and while I'm assuming there will be loan cover, I'm just saying I thought there should be a bit more urgency. As things stand today, the only back four we can field with players in their preferred, regular position is RB Moore, CBs Morgan and SSL and LB Konchesky. That doesn't look too bad but as things stand, it leaves us with no defender on the bench (unless you count Schlupp, who as I say is not a left back and in any case could only cover that one position). I think that is something to worry about, notwithstanding the fact that Whitbread and De Laet may soon be available again.

Archived