Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
shade

silk sheets

some wise guy once said "it's hard to get motivated when you wake up every day on silk sheets".

maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to the casual observer that the majority of players nowadays just can't really be bothered. they're celebrities who log on to their online bank and see another £12,742.54 has just been deposited.

so what if they have a bad game? they kinda want to win, naturally, but so what if they don't. money is a poor motivator, that's been proven, so basically, do you think our obscene wage structure is actually damaging us?

It's damaging football as a whole.

of course, that's a given, but at our level where you could argue it doesnt buy us the REAL difference in quality that it does for the very elite players, are well motivated individuals better than well compensated (supposedly better) individuals.

some wise guy once said "it's hard to get motivated when you wake up every day on silk sheets".

maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to the casual observer that the majority of players nowadays just can't really be bothered. they're celebrities who log on to their online bank and see another £12,742.54 has just been deposited.

so what if they have a bad game? they kinda want to win, naturally, but so what if they don't. money is a poor motivator, that's been proven, so basically, do you think our obscene wage structure is actually damaging us?

You should write a book called 50 shades of talkin shite...

Yes, and half the clubs in the championship. Is it just me but watching the championship on tv with it's half empty stadia and overpaid has beens and wannabes who can not trap a bag of cement is not a great advert for English football.

Not necessarily disagreeing with the sentiment, but I don't think the players can be accused of not trying or lacking motivation, we are just lacking a little quality in front of goal and concentration at the back. We have fought and scrapped for every minute of every match I've seen, apart from 20 minutes at Charlton where we just switched off.

From a personal point of view, throughout my working I have fluctuated between very well paid and shite pay, and all sorts in between, but what motivates me is good management and being appreciated for the work I've done more so than how much money I receive.

Yes it's damaging.

The problem though isn't that players who earn loads are lazy, it's that under Sven and Top we became the sort of football club that is sort out by the kind of player who wants to earn a lot of money doing fcuk all.

Now we've got lots of players who can't do anything and only earn small wages because they're not good enough to earn lots

Much better isn't it.

Any sportsman is naturally competitive.

I don't buy into the stereotype of well paid players are lazy.

Look at Tevez, Rooney, Messi and Ronaldo. They're probably the top 4 and they run miles per game.

I think they are exceptions to the rule. You can't just name four players who try hard and then say you've proved this 'silk sheets' idea wrong - such a small number doesn't really give an impression of all the high-earners in football.

Not necessarily disagreeing with the sentiment, but I don't think the players can be accused of not trying or lacking motivation, we are just lacking a little quality in front of goal and concentration at the back. We have fought and scrapped for every minute of every match I've seen, apart from 20 minutes at Charlton where we just switched off.

From a personal point of view, throughout my working I have fluctuated between very well paid and shite pay, and all sorts in between, but what motivates me is good management and being appreciated for the work I've done more so than how much money I receive.

Agree in some part, but I think the point is these very average players are getting paid a lot more than they are worth. Using your experience of work as an example if you were paid very well 'no matter your performance or ability' how much effort would you put in. Nevertheless, The players motivation is the first thing 'us' fans always look at when we are not performing. 'Most' of the time our boys do give it their all BUT the fact they are paid so much and all us championship fans sit in our lovely new half empty grounds having overpriced Swatlands curry at the Fusions restaurant, shows you the false economy of championship football, which is essentially sh@t.

I don't buy into this argument. You can never have too much money - people who are used to having a lot of money will always want more. It's why football players will move to teams like Man City, for a big pay day. The better they play, the more likely they will get a better contract or move to a better team (or to the premiership). That, coupled with the fact that most professional sports players are naturally competitive and hate losing, I really don't think being over-paid is the issue.

We did put in a lot of effort at the weekend, it was poor defending from set pieces and a lack of clinical finishing that defeated us. The problem is not effort, it's that we're simply not good enough.

Yes, the economy of the Championship (and all football) is crap, but that isn't the players fault.....

Archived