Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
K1FOX

Selling Out At Birmingham

"Blame the fans", Christ, yet another way that moden football is crap.

All this 'organised' singing and chanting is rubbish, a feeble attempt by a few hundred fans to generate 'atmosphere' in a half empty stadium.

Real atmosphere was 30k plus in Filbert St, pre segregation, pre 'pens', when everyone was on the terraces (no concourses then) moving about, chatting to mates, having a laugh. Barely any chanting or singing, the Kop would be barely audible for most of the game, unless you were in the middle of it, yet the atmosphere was electric, quite incredible on occasions.

Just a load of fans genuinely excited to be at the game, for a couple of hours nothing else mattered, you simply lived and breathed football, no need to get drunk or abuse the opposition, the game was more than enough!...... :thumbup:

Fully agree. The FA have killed the game but we've still generated some very good atmospheres at kp

Fully agree. The FA have killed the game but we've still generated some very good atmospheres at kp

I think the hooligan fans of the late 70s/80s had a fair bit to do with it.

Just a bit, but they're still trying to change the face of the game long since eradicating hooliganism

Although the FA is a pretty toothless organisation ever since Sky and the top tier teams threatened to break away and we ended up with the PL

The all-seater is down to the hooligans, the government and reinforced by UEFA

The high prices you can also put down to Sky but many of the fans have happily gone along with it.

In fact when you get down to it apart from backing down in the face of the PL set to they are pretty blameless, even the confusion over the rules of the game (FIFA), the influence of TV on games, the massive wages paid to players leading to higher prices has little to do with them.

I think blame can certainly be aimed at them for the Wembley fiasco and hence the delay in the opening of the SOE at Burton, the shortage of quality coaches, the support given to the 'Wimbledon style of play' in the coaching manuals, the creation of MK Dons, the holding back of the development of Women's football.

Although the FA is a pretty toothless organisation ever since Sky and the top tier teams threatened to break away and we ended up with the PL

The all-seater is down to the hooligans, the government and reinforced by UEFA

The high prices you can also put down to Sky but many of the fans have happily gone along with it.

In fact when you get down to it apart from backing down in the face of the PL set to they are pretty blameless, even the confusion over the rules of the game (FIFA), the influence of TV on games, the massive wages paid to players leading to higher prices has little to do with them.

I think blame can certainly be aimed at them for the Wembley fiasco and hence the delay in the opening of the SOE at Burton, the shortage of quality coaches, the support given to the 'Wimbledon style of play' in the coaching manuals, the creation of MK Dons, the holding back of the development of Women's football.

what about the ongoing situation in the middle east? surely Lancaster Gate has some explaining to do there?

what about the ongoing situation in the middle east? surely Lancaster Gate has some explaining to do there?

I purposely excluded their involvement in world affairs.

Can one of you 'lower orders' types explain this 'train' concept you are on about? I dont see why you dont do as I will be, go in the Roller and get driver chappie to drop you at the ground. Then get him to wait outside until the after-game drinks and nibbles have been consumed. Snooze on the way back, ready to give the maid one back at Herb Mansions.

Can one of you 'lower orders' types explain this 'train' concept you are on about? I dont see why you dont do as I will be, go in the Roller and get driver chappie to drop you at the ground. Then get him to wait outside until the after-game drinks and nibbles have been consumed. Snooze on the way back, ready to give the maid one back at Herb Mansions.

You are obviously not very rich or you would have some flunky typing that for you at Herb Mansions. ;)

I think in answer to Bert higher up about the train back being a nightmare, because fans will be on a number of different trains going but will all pile back into New Street after the match to get the first one in the platform.

Plus it isn't a particularly nice station to be in anyway.

I just don't get this point surely if the 'regular' awayers are there amongst the extra 'casual' awayers it should have no negative affect on the noise/atmosphere, are you saying that the regulars don't sing because there's more fans there?

Sure they'll be casuals mixed in amongst the regulars but that shouldn't prevent them from making the same noise in fact it should encourage some casuals to join in. I'm a casual awayer and I always join in the singing.

It seems to have become an excuse 'Oh I can't sing with all these casuals here spoiling my fun'.

Not everyone is like you and wants to join in though. Some don't and stay sat down quite high up. I've been to some away games where there were more people sitting than standing. That does make a difference, it splits up the people who want to sing if some are at the bottom and some are at the top. It's a noticeable atmosphere killer when you and your mate are singing but there are numerous people around you doing nothing.

"Blame the fans", Christ, yet another way that moden football is crap.

All this 'organised' singing and chanting is rubbish, a feeble attempt by a few hundred fans to generate 'atmosphere' in a half empty stadium.

Real atmosphere was 30k plus in Filbert St, pre segregation, pre 'pens', when everyone was on the terraces (no concourses then) moving about, chatting to mates, having a laugh. Barely any chanting or singing, the Kop would be barely audible for most of the game, unless you were in the middle of it, yet the atmosphere was electric, quite incredible on occasions.

Just a load of fans genuinely excited to be at the game, for a couple of hours nothing else mattered, you simply lived and breathed football, no need to get drunk or abuse the opposition, the game was more than enough!...... :thumbup:

It's not rubbish when it's a few thousand though. :thumbup:

Not everyone is like you and wants to join in though. Some don't and stay sat down quite high up. I've been to some away games where there were more people sitting than standing. That does make a difference, it splits up the people who want to sing if some are at the bottom and some are at the top. It's a noticeable atmosphere killer when you and your mate are singing but there are numerous people around you doing nothing.

I was going to reply to DavieG's comment to my post myself but your reply sums it up perfectly.

Unfortunately there are games when fans go purely for the fact we're playing well and are the once a year away day people. As said Cov away was always bad for this just because it was a real near game, although last season the atmosphere was better.

Chelsea was bad though, full of people who went for the day out and really just went to sit queit all day and then moan at others for shouting whatever out.

Hoping Brum wont be like this, would be good if we have a good following and good crowd. In terms of numbers and actualyl having a real good atmosphere go with it, I'd say there hasnt been a real top away game liek that since Barnsley in the relegation season.

I can't believe how critical some of us are of our support. Easily amongst the best in the league, particularly for away following. Those of you who turn up to matches expecting hordes of Besiktas and Dortmund fans in Leicester shirts fvcking stop it, your complaining and negativity is really boring.

All this 'back in the good old days' stuff is very tedious as well. Stop bloody going on about it. Those days are not coming back and it doesn't help anyone to constantly criticise the modern way. It was better way back when, ok, we get it.

Funny how its the casual away supporters which get blamed whenever there is a poor atmosphere.

However the atmosphere is generally shit at most aways. So maybe its the regulars that make the atmosphere crap.

There is some truth in that, but generally, bigger away followign over maybe 3k seems to generate worse atmosphere.

Though having said that, the atmosphere at Charlton, Blackburn and Wolves was hardly good, and I'd guess you'd call most of those fans the 'hardcore'.

Then you compare that to the Norwich cup game when really only the priority 1 and 2 fans were the main peopel to get tickets, the atmosphere was amazing, best I've been at.

Depends on venue, sometimes kick off time I think/day of week (e.g. TV game), and what fans are going. So a bit of all three

I can't believe how critical some of us are of our support. Easily amongst the best in the league, particularly for away following. Those of you who turn up to matches expecting hordes of Besiktas and Dortmund fans in Leicester shirts fvcking stop it, your complaining and negativity is really boring.

All this 'back in the good old days' stuff is very tedious as well. Stop bloody going on about it. Those days are not coming back and it doesn't help anyone to constantly criticise the modern way. It was better way back when, ok, we get it.

Spot on.

Back in the day has nothing to do with it. Since I've been going away games for the last 6 year's there have been some amazing atmospheres I've been at Barnsley away the season before we went down and the season we did. PNE when we made the playoffs. Villa , Forest and Chelsea in the league cup in 07. Cardiff away playoff semi, man city away.

Stop hiding behind the counter argument of, 'back in the day' it doesn't wash. Norwich was the last quality atmosphere I've witnessed and the games I've been to since the atmosphere has been poor to say the least. So the responsibility does bare on the fans

Still sounds like an excuse and a reason to blame the 'extra' fans.

There is some truth in that, but generally, bigger away followign over maybe 3k seems to generate worse atmosphere.

Though having said that, the atmosphere at Charlton, Blackburn and Wolves was hardly good, and I'd guess you'd call most of those fans the 'hardcore'.

Then you compare that to the Norwich cup game when really only the priority 1 and 2 fans were the main peopel to get tickets, the atmosphere was amazing, best I've been at.

Depends on venue, sometimes kick off time I think/day of week (e.g. TV game), and what fans are going. So a bit of all three

:thumbup: There's other things as well like current form.

I don't think there's necessarily a correlation between numbers and atmosphere away from home. There's been some quality atmosphere's with both big and smaller followings.

There's a lot of factors that make a difference.

Archived