Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ashley

Schmeichel help please

What's the difference though? The opposition has still scored as a result of the penalty, so the penalty save wasn't completed was it?

Look It's not that complicated, the penalty was saved and the rebound was scored.

If you're fouled in the area you aren't granted a rebound, so a rebound isnt part of the penalty.

He did save the penalty.

If a free-kick is saved and the rebound scored, they don't claim the free-kick was scored do they?

Maybe not, but you might still say they scored from a free-kick. The goalscoring opportunity brought about by the free-kick was capitalised upon.

According to the football league website we conceded 10(!) penalties in the league last season. We also conceded 1 in the FA cup against Norwich.

So far we've conceded 1 in the league cup and 1 in the league this season.

That makes 13 in total that i believe Kasper has had to face.

have we?

If im in goal i don't count a shot stopped unless i have control of ball or have put it out of immediate danger. Pretty sure Kasper would tell you he dosn't get pleasure out of saving a penalty only for the rebound to be scored. OTOH if you want to give credit for managing to reach a penalty and prevent it going in directly then thats up to you.

I understand the points you make, but for me there is a difference between a penalty save wherein the keeper pushes the ball out of play or takes control of it, thus ending the goalscoring opportunity of the penalty, and a penalty save wherein the keeper merely deflects the ball into the path of the opposition for them to score.

I understand the points you make, but for me there is a difference between a penalty save wherein the keeper pushes the ball out of play or takes control of it, thus ending the goalscoring opportunity of the penalty, and a penalty save wherein the keeper merely deflects the ball into the path of the opposition for them to score.

You're wrong.

So if a goalkeeper saves a normal shot but it comes out to a striker for a rebound it's not a save?

What if said rebound is blazed over?

So if a goalkeeper saves a normal shot but it comes out to a striker for a rebound it's not a save?

What if said rebound is blazed over?

I'm not saying the keeper hasn't saved it at all in any of these situations, just that I think that with penalties, its not a complete penalty save if the rebound is scored, particularly if its scored by the guy who took the penalty. Kasper made the penalty save initially, but Hoolahan scoring the rebound cancelled it out. That's how I interpret the situation, as another guy said, if it was me in goal and that happened, I wouldn't be going around saying I'd saved a penalty afterwards. You feel free to do so.

What is this?!

The penalty was saved. The penalty is a dead-ball situation where play is not resumed until the ball is struck by person allocated to take the kick. No other player can move until this has occurred, so the penalty kick itself is PURELY a one-on-one situation. If the keeper prevents the ball from going past the goal-line from the PENALTY KICK, he has officially saved. What happens next is entirely open play as all players are free to move. You can say that the goal was scored as a result of a rebound caused by the keeper blocking the penalty, you can't say the keeper didn't stop a goal being scored from the PENALTY kick.

It's pretty clear :/

I'm not saying the keeper hasn't saved it at all in any of these situations, just that I think that with penalties, its not a complete penalty save if the rebound is scored, particularly if its scored by the guy who took the penalty. Kasper made the penalty save initially, but Hoolahan scoring the rebound cancelled it out. That's how I interpret the situation, as another guy said, if it was me in goal and that happened, I wouldn't be going around saying I'd saved a penalty afterwards. You feel free to do so.

Rebound is open play, penalty saved get over it! I'm not sure if your arguing the losing battle to save face or simply the fact that you don't know much about football.

Rebound is open play, penalty saved get over it! I'm not sure if your arguing the losing battle to save face or simply the fact that you don't know much about football.

The thing is, I'm not saying anyone who has argued to the contrary is wrong, only that I feel differently to them. I'm not suggesting that I'm right, and in the laws of the game are written specified subsections about complete and incomplete penalty saves, because I know enough 'about football' to know there isn't. I also have no idea why so many of you are getting so worked up about it...

The thing is, I'm not saying anyone who has argued to the contrary is wrong, only that I feel differently to them. I'm not suggesting that I'm right, and in the laws of the game are written specified subsections about complete and incomplete penalty saves, because I know enough 'about football' to know there isn't. I also have no idea why so many of you are getting so worked up about it...

Don't know about that....

Don't know about that....

Well that's a different statement isn't it. Do I know enough about football? Could know more. Do I know enough about football to know that there aren't specific details in the laws of the game about complete and incomplete penalty saves? Yes. Let's be fair, please.

A complete penalty save would be:

- the allocated penalty kick taker shooting on-target

- the opposing goalkeeper getting enough touch on the ball so that it deflects at an angle GREATER than 90 degrees, or stopping it completely.

If the keeper's touch prevents the initial kick from going over the line, it's a save.

That's all there is to it.

A complete penalty save would be:

- the allocated penalty kick taker shooting on-target

- the opposing goalkeeper getting enough touch on the ball so that it deflects at an angle GREATER than 90 degrees

That's all there is to it.

Well you can stop a penalty going in by deflecting it at an angle less than 90 degress can't you?

If the keeper doesn't stop the ball and deflects it an angle less than 90 degrees, chances are it'll bounce off the post and into the goal, that wouldn't be a save as the momentum caused by the initial on-target strike would be awarded a goal to the penalty-kick taker

Archived