Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CityBCN

Zak Whitbread

Why medium term? At 28 he should be (and is) challenging for a regular CB slot. Nige got signing him spot on imo.

Medium term because he has been plagued with injuries and lacks fitness so we haven't been seeing the best side of him yet as he recovers. My concern is that short term he will have some dips in form. If SSL comes back soon playing as well as he was before his hamstring Zak could struggle to be a first team regular at this point.

Agree with everything else you said, well worth a punt because fully fit he would be a great CB, arguably proven at the Prem level when fit.

Merc

On a personal level, Whitbread came through his sixth start in the last seven games and admits he is only just starting to get up to pace after missing the start of the campaign because of a troublesome calf injury he picked up last season.

"From past experience of coming back from a long injury, the adrenalin gets you through the first few games, but then you take a dip for whatever reason," he said. "It is hard to explain why. You are chasing games and you don't feel you have the quality and fitness there, but I felt a lot stronger against Ipswich.

"It is down to me to keep improving and get back to a level I am happy with.

"My legs seem to be going in the same direction as my head wants them to go now. That is all I can ask for.

"A few games before they were on the other side of the pitch. Hopefully, I can build on that now."

Yes, a capable performance vs Ipswich. He should, however, in no way, ever, be starting ahead of St Ledger or Morgan, fact. As a 3rd choice centre back, he is decent back-up

Yes, a capable performance vs Ipswich. He should, however, in no way, ever, be starting ahead of St Ledger or Morgan, fact. As a 3rd choice centre back, he is decent back-up

You are wrong!

Third choice centre back, against Ipswich he gave the ball away in bad areas at times with some silly passing in the second half.

He really needs to cut that part of his game out, it is almost like he has a spot of colour blindness for five minutes or so during a match when he plays knocking it to opposition players :sweating:

Thought i'd come on this forum after saturdays display & say he was pretty close behind Dyer in the MOM stakes & that even though i never ever called him "shitbread" but did want him dropped & Moore play instead to say..........

Sorry! Nige knows best. Could be a turning point for our defense & the start of a beautiful partnership!!

From what i've seen of him he's a Jack Hobbs style centre half. Very good in the air and he can make a tackle but his distribution is poor.

I've been fairly impressed apart from his woeful showing against Forest.

Oh come on, he didn't play a blinder but he certainly wasn't anywhere near 'woeful'.

Oh come on, he didn't play a blinder but he certainly wasn't anywhere near 'woeful'.

Didn't direct any of his headers, kept coming tight to his man which allowed Sharp and Cox to spin off him, was hopelessly out of position for the first and gave the penalty (although it was extremely harsh) away.

The greatness of Morgan covered his arse in that game.

Just watch the first goal again and look how utterly lost he looked. I think he'll get it right, but he really was poor against Nottingham. Dare I say with SSL we'd have won that game? Yes, I do.

Didn't direct any of his headers, kept coming tight to his man which allowed Sharp and Cox to spin off him, was hopelessly out of position for the first and gave the penalty (although it was extremely harsh) away.

The greatness of Morgan covered his arse in that game.

Just watch the first goal again and look how utterly lost he looked. I think he'll get it right, but he really was poor against Nottingham. Dare I say with SSL we'd have won that game? Yes, I do.

If Dyer had actually tracked his man back he wouldn't have had to come across in the first place

Archived