Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
broughtonblue

credit where its due!

I feared the worst coming into the minutes silence, especially as it was on tv, but as the the silence started it was credit to both sets of fans that the silence was observed impeccably.

There were a few murmurs I though.

Was I the only one who thought there was going to be a minutes silence after the last post? Like there normally is?

It's never explained clearly normally the last post is played then a minutes silence (Which is usually ruined because people don't listen/don't understand what is going to happen e.t.c)

Was I the only one who thought there was going to be a minutes silence after the last post? Like there normally is?

I thought the same (Radio Leicester said that would be the case). The fact that not a single announcement was made to make it clear, given the events of the last two years, was just baffling.

Birch said the minutes silence would be started by the last post. I assumed the silence would follow. Birch had no idea clearly. Although it worked out better having the last post as the silence. Lasted about a minute anyway. Everyones natural reaction is to clap after he finished playing it...

They just did the Last Post last year as well if memory serves me right; so it was what I expected. The 2 years before that it had been ruined, mostly because people didn't realise what was happening. Then you had prats taking the moral high ground, etc and it became tit for tat abuse. Even today you couldn't hear a word Birch said in L1 - you can't make out what hes saying at the best of times. Don't know why the announcer doesn't talk people through it and make it clear.

I just think they realise there's a risk some people are too thick to be able to stay silent for the Last Post and 1 minute even if it was explained properly.

I doubt anyone could hear what the instructions were (if there were any) anyway since they were singing over the Birch when he was trying to talk. Would it have been so hard for people to just shut up and listen to him when it was obvious what he was talking about?

They announced on the radio that the one minute silence was supposed to start after the Last Post.

I was clear to me however that people had not heard this and people in other parts of the ground were struggling to understand what was happening. This is why they abandoned it.

It seemed everyone paid there respects as far as they were able to understand what they were supposed to do.

You see those big screens we have, they had words on them and those words told everyone what was going on. For some people reading as well as listening seems to be just too difficult.

We had 2000 kids stand in silence at School yesterday, we played the Last Post, everyone listened in silence, we stood for a further two minutes in silence (as is the tradition with Remembrance services), then we had the Reveille, again observed in silence. We had no big screens or tanoy announcements.

You see those big screens we have, they had words on them and those words told everyone what was going on. For some people reading as well as listening seems to be just too difficult.

We had 2000 kids stand in silence at School yesterday, we played the Last Post, everyone listened in silence, we stood for a further two minutes in silence (as is the tradition with Remembrance services), then we had the Reveille, again observed in silence. We had no big screens or tanoy announcements.

This is a really weird question but what school do you work at as we did exactly the same thing yesterday at mine...

There was no announcement. Plus some people like to watch the warm up (So they can slate players for their awful performance... in the warm up), read the programme or just generally avoid reading boring tweets from Leicester fans. They should have made it clearer.

There was no announcement. Plus some people like to watch the warm up (So they can slate players for their awful performance... in the warm up), read the programme or just generally avoid reading boring tweets from Leicester fans. They should have made it clearer.

There was an announcement. At least two which I head and I arrived a mere 5 minutes prior to kick off. Failing that we can either employ people to go round folks individually and explain the whole Remembrance thing incase its past them by over the past 90+ years or we can just scrap it because paying attention for 30 seconds is just too damn hard.

There was an announcement. At least two which I head and I arrived a mere 5 minutes prior to kick off.

Birch made an announcement (which wasn't even accurate) but I don't remember anything else about the silence?

The message on the scoreboard said that the minutes silence was DURING the Last Post not after. Different to other years as the silence was after. Worked better this way to save any embarrassment. Although its shameful really that because of a few idiots every year it can't be done properly to give the occasion the respect it deserves.

Archived