Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Carl the Llama

Before the season started

Were you expecting automatic promotion?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Were you?

The last time people were doubting Pearson (not me that time) en masse was after the Burton defeat.

We responded by winning 7 out of the next 9 to put us top. We will need a run like that just to bring us back into touch with the automatic places this time around.

Fingers crossed.

If we look at the previous seasons of finishing in the top 2 generally you cannot loose more than 8 games but there are some exceptions

In the 2004-2005 season Sunderland 1) lost 10 games Wigan 2) lost 9 games

In the 2005-2006 season Sheffield Utd 2) lost 9 games

In the 2006-2007 season Sunderland 1) lost 12 games Birmingham City 2) lost 12 games

In the 2007-2008 season West Bromich 1) lost 11 games Stoke City 2) lost 9 games

In the 2008-2009 season Wolves 1) lost 10 games Birmingham City 2) lost 9 games

In the 2010-2011 season Norwich City 2) lost 8 games

In the 2011-2012 season Reading 1) lost 11 games Southampton 2) lost 10 games

So in other words we are going to have to produce a near on perfect winning run + drawing a couple of games we can only afford 1-4 defeats to stand a chance of getting automatic promotion if you look at the previous years.

Before the season started I predicted we would end on 82 points. Looking at the past few seasons that would see us ending in the play offs. I stand by that total, although we have just fallen behind my predictions for the first time since the first few games.

I think it's all about perspective. The fact that we have been at the top and now find ourselves in 5th is seen a lot differently to if we had gotten off to a poor start and now come from no where to arrive at 5th (like Leeds are doing).

At the end of the day 5th is 5th no matter how you get there, and I would be happy with it. Progress would have been made, and if we could keep Pearson for another season, and add a few more quality players, we could have a real go at the top 2 next season. Just like Cardiff have done. Their success was not built in one summer.

Exactly. But to read some people's posts on here you'd think we were hovering above the relegation zone.

The point isn't where we are now, but the direction we are headed.

I think that unless something improves, there will not be any improvement on last season. The only reason we have such a healthy league position at the minute is because we went on that stonking run.

The further we get away from that run, the more mediocre and mid-table we are beginning to look.

If we want to finish in the playoffs we are going to need to average 1.7 points per game

3rd or 4th probably the ideal positions to finish in the playoffs due to home advantage in the second leg we need to average 1.8 points per game

But ideally we all want automatic promotion which requires 1.9 points per game to 2 points per game.

Expected us to maybe scrape play-offs, as I wasn't that impressed with NP's signings.

He proved me wrong and we went on a great run, which made me think that we could maybe challenge for the top 2.

Think we probably will make the play-offs, but no more (unless we sign one or two quality players in January).

The point isn't where we are now, but the direction we are headed.

I think that unless something improves, there will not be any improvement on last season. The only reason we have such a healthy league position at the minute is because we went on that stonking run.

The further we get away from that run, the more mediocre and mid-table we are beginning to look.

We'll be in and around the top six.

This league is poor. We've picked up 12 points from 11 games yet not been lower than 5th.

Pre-season I didn't expect much, and I didn't know much about the players we brought in, and the ones from last season hadn't covered themselves in glory.

My pre-season expectations were to compete in every game and never give up the fight, and to have the same manager at the end of the season as the start.

So far so good, we have not lost by more than 1 goal yet this season, and NP is still in a job.

I think the problem for a lot of people is not so much the poor performances, but the good performances that don't produce wins, Cardiff being a prime example, we battered them at the start and controlled the game all the way through, more or less, but we lost, it is so frustrating, you can say the same for Barnsley, Bolton and Birmingham where we drew, Leeds, Wolves, Blackburn and Charlton, we were the better side in all of those games, Even our worst performances against Palace and Millwall we created enough chances to take something from the game.

For some reason people find that harder to take than being outclassed and beaten by a better side, and it looks like we are so close to getting it right, but we have had little injuries at just the wrong time with a small squad, forcing players to come back early, I'm thinking of Waghorn twice, Whitbread and Vardy, all called into action sooner than expected and suffered for it.

We are so close to having a championship winning team, and with some many young improving players it really does look good for the future, but we have to be patient, so far this season we have exceeded my and many others expectations, so I really don't understand why we are all so bloody glum on here.

Is it any wonder we can't get our anthem right, an ode to optimism, when you're smiling the world smiles with you, when we are all so bloody pessimistic, when you're crying you bring on the rain, so stop your sighing, be happy again.

When you're smiling, the whole world smiles with you.

Smile you miserable cvnts it's Christmas.

Archived