Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Carl the Llama

Before the season started

Were you expecting automatic promotion?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Were you?

Given the imo disappointing reaction to our unfortunate defeat yesterday (good thing NP's already on the search for another striker given the number of squandered opportunities), I figure it's time to find out once and for all just how high our hopes were in general going into the season. I think we've had the bar raised by an unexpectedly decent start, but maybe we have been expecting automatic glory from day one and the complacent bunch are in the minority. Time to go public.

As yet I am the only person to vote that I expected automatic promotion.

Thinking back, the main reason was that I had a lot of faith in Pearson. I thought players invested in the previous season would come good this year and Pearson had added some young and hungry talent to that. Young and hungry is also untried and inexperienced and it seems more like the young players replaced the experienced players rather than having the opportunity to learn from them.

It has only been since the Barnsley game that I have started to doubt we would get automatic promotion. Previously I saw a potential championship winning team even in games we lost.

The poor results seemed to start after the win away at Sheffield Wednesday. I considered this a blip until the game above but the longer this uninspiring run goes on, the more it looks like our current performances are representative of this team rather than the 'constant threat' we were seeing previously.

There is no point being a constant threat if we don't have players who can turn the threat into damage to the opposition.

I think peeps know the team can do better.

We have only really been outclassed once in the league at home and that was to Palace and even then we could have gotten a draw.

I'd say we are pretty at times but maybe a little fragile and very wasteful in front of the opposition goal.

When we were top of the league I didn't get overexcited, now that we're in a bad run I'm not going to get worried either. We've been in the playoffs for more or less the whole season so far and I would be very surprised if we didn't finish in the playoffs come May. I don't think any team in this league has a right to expect a top two spot - if you'd asked most people before the start of the season who would be in the top two at this stage, I doubt many people would have said Cardiff and Hull. However, I think we're good enough to be competing for a top 6 place and as long as we end up in the top 6 come the end of the season, I'll be happy.

Theres no escaping the fact weve shown some inconsistant and poor performances over the past month or two, some peoples disappointment doesnt come entirely from whichever match we lost last.

At the beginning of the season Im sure there was a thread/poll asking people what they would accept, so you couldve got answers from that.

For me I expect Play-Offs and wish for Autos, winning the League would be magical because we've never got out name on it

Hoped we might defy gravity and come out of the blocks and get to the top early on (so far so good) and then the players would get that mystical mix of luck and self belief that teams at the top often appear to have and storm it (nope).

Play offs are a lottery and while a day out at Wembley is all good fun, losing there sucks about as bad as gets in football......think we'll struggle now, roll on next season.

Theres no escaping the fact weve shown some inconsistant and poor performances over the past month or two, some peoples disappointment doesnt come entirely from whichever match we lost last.

At the beginning of the season Im sure there was a thread/poll asking people what they would accept, so you couldve got answers from that.

For me I expect Play-Offs and wish for Autos, winning the League would be magical because we've never got out name on it

Not as the championship but we've won this division 6 times

Looking at the 24 teams in the division before the season started, it was going to be tough. I knew that we had a decent squad but so have the likes of Middlesbrough, Cardiff, Blackpool, Blackburn, Bolton, Huddersfield, Leeds, Derby, Nottingham Forest, Hull etc. I said before the season, I would be happy with a top 6 finish, and I still stand by that. I have total faith in Nigel Pearson, I always have done, and that hasn't changed yet. We have been unlucky with a couple of results, and just need a little tweaking (new left back for example).

Currently, we are in the top 6. I am happy with that. It is a shame that we have dropped from automatic, but that's how this league is, it's tough. I look at the likes of Leeds, and Derby, that seemed to have come from knowhere to be a couple of points behind us.

So, no I didn't 'expect' anything, I would certainly have taken a top 6 finish, and I still would.

Automatic promotion has to be the aim and so far we are lagging behind 7-10 points adrift which isn't great but it is a manageable return. Anyone saying top 6 needs to wake up and smell the coffee it isn't good enough, you may say I am harsh in that respect but the playoffs are a lottery we could do without.

Archived