Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lineker's Left Foot

Is Wood our Lambert/Holt type player

I honestly think he seems exactly that, I think that type of player is the type we've missed all season, not someone to hoof it up to (although if we do have to resort to that, he's an option) but someone who can actually score with his head and get on the end of crosses, someone who can hold the ball up etc...

If he's as good as those pair we're laughing.

Norwich - Holt

Derby - Howard

Swansea - Graham

Southampton - Lambert

It's good to have a big man. These all were promoted with big forwards....

Graham is 5ft 11 and is probably known for being more of a poacher than a big target man. Additionally, Graham signed for Swansea after they were promoted, I think Borini was their main man in the 10/11 season.

Swansea are a bit of an exception to the rule, they weren't prepared to lump it into the box if necessary while Southampton, Derby and Norwich were.

Graham is 5ft 11 and is probably known for being more of a poacher than a big target man. Additionally, Graham signed for Swansea after they were promoted, I think Borini was their main man in the 10/11 season.

Swansea are a bit of an exception to the rule, they weren't prepared to lump it into the box if necessary while Southampton, Derby and Norwich were.

Borini who signed in January at the earliest?

Sinclair was their key man, no doubt about it.

Borini who signed in January at the earliest?

Sinclair was their key man, no doubt about it.

Actually yes you're right, Borini was good when he arrived but he wasn't there long. I hesitated to name Sinclair as he was more of a winger rather than a centre-forward which is what this thread is about. In any case, Swansea were not promoted with a big target man which was the point I was trying to make. Shows you don't need a big guy although that was because of their style of play.

Appears to be that some clubs who go up to the Premier and stay there have a large mobile targetman like Rickie Lambert or Grant Holt at Southampton and Norwich respectively. Really don't know much about Chris Wood tbh so was wondering if he will be a similar mould to them when he plays for us???

Everything i've read about him says he is exactly that type of player

Appears to be that some clubs who go up to the Premier and stay there have a large mobile targetman like Rickie Lambert or Grant Holt at Southampton and Norwich respectively. Really don't know much about Chris Wood tbh so was wondering if he will be a similar mould to them when he plays for us???

Not really because Wood's not as pacy as both those players, and can't really quickly get back on the break, which is why there were so many strikers ahead of him at ours. He will score a shedload of goals for you though.

Not really because Wood's not as pacy as both those players, and can't really quickly get back on the break, which is why there were so many strikers ahead of him at ours. He will score a shedload of goals for you though.

Holt is quicker than Wood? :S I find that a bit difficult to believe. Never have I heard anyone praise Lambert or Holt for their pace so Wood must be like a 200 year old tortoise if you're correct.

Didn't think Wood was particularly slow when we played away at Birmingham last season - thought he showed good pace to get past our defence for their 2nd goal. Went past Kasper quite nicely as well :):(

Holt is quicker than Wood? :S

Find that a bit difficult to believe. Didn't think Wood was particularly slow when we played away at Birmingham last season.

For the Premier League and the style we play he wasn't sadly fast enough. Holt can break away and score. Wood can't quite do that yet, He's by no means slow, just more of a target man. leave him up field and get someone like Dyer to feed him its playing to his strengths. and he will score

For the Premier League and the style we play he wasn't sadly fast enough. Holt can break away and score. Wood can't quite do that yet, He's by no means slow, just more of a target man. leave him up field and get someone like Dyer to feed him its playing to his strengths. and he will score

Wood has bags more pace than holt.

Holt is getting older now and therefore slower and wood isnt slow just because he's a target man.

If you judge it by fifa he has 61 pace which isnt great lol however I think he has enough pace as he showed us at birmingham :dry:

I really hope he is. I've been willing us to sign that type of player since Pearson came back.

IMO teams that have the best chance of getting promoted have at least the following three ingredients:

1. A tight defence. (We have that this season)

2. A tricky midfield player like Lallana or Hoolahan to unlock defences (We have Knocky on his day)

3. A big strong target man centre forward who scores goals. Like Lambert or Holt. (If Wood is this we are looking good here also)

You could also add a number 4 to the list:

4. A strong ball winning midfielder who can also distribute the ball once he wins it.

But I think the other 3 are more important than this. Never the less if we add this it would be the icing on the cake. Add a season or two's manigerial stability to that mix and a top two finish is very much within our reach I reckon.

One good thing about him is his height and I think now we might be able to score more from crosses by wingers. Too often this season there's been crosses going in without really anyone for the likes of Marshall and Dyer to aim for and they have to put it into an area. Now there is a big forward to (hopefully) convert those crosses.

Archived