Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
JonnyThrostle

Chris Wood

Maybe people won't agree but I thought Chris Wood's best contribution of the whole match (other than his two goals of course) was his headed assist for Waghorn. He knew he couldn't score the chance himself, so rather than make a cock up of it, he unselfishly laid it on a plate for Waggy to score. That indicated to me that we have signed a player who is 'clever' so to speak.

Very commendable. Keep up the good work lad!

My thoughts exactly. So many times have others cocked this type of chance up this season! Wood looks like a great signing so far.

Johnny Throstle, your username reminds me of a classic Fantasy Football League moment:

Skinner: "The club radio station at the Albion back in the 70's was Radio Throstle'

Baddiel: "Throstle? Sounds like a sexually-transmitted disease.'

Maybe people won't agree but I thought Chris Wood's best contribution of the whole match (other than his two goals of course) was his headed assist for Waghorn. He knew he couldn't score the chance himself, so rather than make a cock up of it, he unselfishly laid it on a plate for Waggy to score. That indicated to me that we have signed a player who is 'clever' so to speak.

Very commendable. Keep up the good work lad!

All of this 100%..although an unbelievable bicycle kick for the hat-trick would have been sweeter..Joking aside,for his 1st game with the team,I have to say that his positioning and awareness was impressive.I was chuffed to hear we'd signed him as I think he's a quality player,especially considering his age.I'm looking forward to seeing more of him partnering Nugent..believe me,there's plenty more goals to come from both players.

Great team performance,great result..almost perfect start to 2013..slightly marred by the "people" who paid to watch LCFC..only to boo Gallagher..seriously "people"..do us and youselves a favour..save your cash and Feck Off.

1 last thing..the "he's here,he's there" chant is awful..fair play for making some noise,but who the heck IS Chrissy Wood?

Slate me/contribute if you wish and I know it should be in "New Chants"..but here's my attempt..

To the tune..Norwegian Wood by The Beatles

"Wheeere did he come from",

"It was West Brom",

"Not from Millwall"..

"Heee's scoring for fun",

"Isn't he good",

"Yes its Chris Wood".

Maybe.."New Zealand Wood" for the last line?

Happy New Year to all..have a good un.

I've just watched the goals again. For me Chris Wood was the catalyst for the entire team performance yesterday. If you look at the first goal, Nugent headed against the bar, how many times in the past have we done that and the ball has come back off the bar and no one has been there? Wood was on the spot and headed in the rebound, 1-0!

The second was fantastic link up play between Nugent and Wood. It's this type of goal that we have really missed so far this season. It's not like Waghorn and Vardy haven't linked up well with Nugent at times. It's just that when they have done, they haven't quite been able add that finishing touch to the move. Wood showed he can add that and made it 2-0 with a nice finish.

Finally the Waghorn goal deserves a mention. In the past we would have put that ball in the box and it would have come to nothing. We would have either had a tame head for goal, or their defender would have muscled us off it and won it back. This time Wood realised he couldn't score himself, and showed great awareness to set up Waghorn to volley in the 6th.

That is why he was my man of the match. Without him I could see it only having been 3-1 or 4-1 at most. Not that I would have complained. But Wood's attributes added that missing spark we have needed for the past few weeks, if not a lot longer.

Well done lad, great debut! :appl:

Considering he'd only played with the squad 4 times before the weekend game he looked like he'd been with us all season. Him and Nuge genuinely look like one of the best strike partnerships in the division. Lets hope they can keep it up :)

Considering he'd only played with the squad 4 times before the weekend game he looked like he'd been with us all season. Him and Nuge genuinely look like one of the best strike partnerships in the division. Lets hope they can keep it up :)

Why shouldn't they. Both are intelligent and willing players with different strengths but the priceless ability to get their heads up and see the pictures.

People have drooled over the performances of Knockaert and James but the presence of two competent, intelligent and effective strikers - one of whom offered our first significant aerial presence in attack this season - helped provide passing opportunities for everyone.

We also had from two-to-four players able to make attacking width and our style allowed the movement and interchange that made it a nightmare for Huddersfield to deal with the pressure because we had so many attacking options that they needed to guard against.

And you'll only get sort of movement in any side when the team is balanced because, if it's not, certain areas will not be functioning positively and certain players will be running themselves to a standstill trying to make up for the missing links.

The aerial presence, as Marbella referred to, is not about hoofing the ball and getting hopeful flick ons which is so readably counter-productive. It is about having someone with the strength to control and shield the high passes and still have the vision and touch to then make decisions which most hurt the opposition.

Wood is so clearly a footballer - rather like Lambert at Southampton. Such players don't have to be gazelles or Glen Hoddle-type passing maestros. They just need their eyes and the one or two touches necessary to cause maximum damage. Or the little bit of no-how to make the yard or two of space that create an opportunity.

But there was another aspect too - and one which i believe Knockaert benefitted from in particular. Respect. We had two strong, senior and accomplished professional strikers yesterday - guys who made runs, expected the ball and wouldn't think twice of complaining if the passes didn't come.

Both commanded the respect to get the right response from the support attackers like Knockaert and there was a quid pro quo to be enjoyed as well in that those same support players knew that if they did commit themselves they could expect a well directed return pass from the strikers.

It sounds so easy but we've hardly ever had it this season because the aerial balls were almost all lost and because neither Vardy, Beckford or Waghorn showed any great presence in the air, they don't have the widest vision and nor do they have the deftest first touch.

More than that though is that the remaining pair don't have the "presence" of accomplished senior centre-forwards which encourages the supporting cast to play off them.

Now we have that presence, others should be able to blossom still further - as James, DeLaet and Marshall clearly did. Once standards are set it's amazing how the whole team benefits and confidence grows apace.

Archived