Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Swarles Barkley

Has defending gone out of the game

Was watching MOTD and they were talking about how last year was the most goals ever scored in the premier league. Then some commentator pointed out that(obviously) this also means that its most goals conceded. So has defending become less vital and rather tactics are now simply score more than them. Even leicester who have the best defence in the league have fans moaning about our defending at times like whitbread being a liabiliity,poor defending from set pieces etc...

It's become too dangerous to tackle anyone as it more often than not leads to a free kick/yellow card/penalty so teams tend towards closing players down, cutting off channels and steering players into less dangerous more crowded areas, something that Kingy does rather well but then gets accused of being anonymous.

The job of a fullback used to be to defend the flank.

Now a fullback is expected to get forward and overlap the winger. Gary Mills was an attacking fullback but in the early 90s this was unusual.

Although, to be fair, I prefer defenders to try to play a bit rather than just hoofing the ball over the stand.

The job of a fullback used to be to defend the flank.

Now a fullback is expected to get forward and overlap the winger. Gary Mills was an attacking fullback but in the early 90s this was unusual.

Although, to be fair, I prefer defenders to try to play a bit rather than just hoofing the ball over the stand.

Yeah, but he was prone to a lofted diagonal rather than always overlapping.

The speed and intensity of the game has increased added to the fact that too many players go to the ground too easily means defenders shield rather than tackle. However, it's what we all go to see on a Saturday, games with loads of goals, so long as they are at the right end.

It's also the state of the pitches and the weight of the balls - two things that have changed quite a bit since the 70s/80s.

Most of the football you see in the Premier League now would simply not have been possible in the majority of British stadiums a few decades ago. Heavy, quagmired pitches made passing more difficult and made players tire more easily.

At least it's one thing that 'modern football' developments have changed for the better....

I think people have become a bit obsessed with goals, they aren't the only good thing about football.

Of course I enjoy watching them fly in from thirty yards but I'm a big admirer of goal-saving tackles that the commentators won't get as excited about. When a game ends 4-3 I end up thinking someone hasn't done their job properly - a game with seven goals in was probably not of the highest quality. One of my favourite games was Inter Milan losing 1-0 at the Nou Camp despite so many people accusing them of being boring and negative.

Far too many 8-0's these days, the gap between the top and the bottom mid-table is too big in the PL. Plus, you're not allowed to tackle anymore so defenders almost have to let attackers through.

For me it's a combination of worse defending but largely better attacking play.

Another factor I'd throw which hasn't been mentioned is the sort of 'Barcelona effect' whereby it's now become fashionable for teams and managers to play more open attractive football due to possible demands from fans, owners or a new approach from the younger coaches in today's game now. Even NP is an example of a manager who has changed his approach tactically.

But football is cyclical in its nature and I don't think it'll carry on like this for ever. Managers will change their ways and adapt tactics and football will evolve again. Teams like Stoke this year are examples of where good, solid defending can get you. Although the attacking football is very good to watch at the moment.

Archived