Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Floridafox

Manchester Utd connection

Can't help but respect the club, not sure about the plastic fan base especially 10-15 years ago, but the club has tried to go about things in the right way, that is clearly despite the Glazers and not because of them, yes they have splashed the cash, but they have also tried to develop young players, stick by and support their players and manager, and generally play decent football. They have never been as bad as Chelsea and City for splashing the cash and trying to buy the league, nor as arrogant as Arsenal, as much as Fergie is a cvnt, he is a genius too.

Sigh.

In the last 5 years they've spent about 10 million in total less than Chelsea. City yes have spent a bucket load in the last two or three years but if you want to try and catch a team up that's been throwing 20 - 50 Million pounds at players every single year for 15 years in a short space of time your going to have to open your cheque book.

United have been spending big since the late 90's.

The only thing I'll give them is they are better at selling their players on than City or Chelsea and thus recouperating the money and requiring less invest, good for them as their about 550 million in the red last time I checked.

Sigh.

In the last 5 years they've spent about 10 million in total less than Chelsea. City yes have spent a bucket load in the last two or three years but if you want to try and catch a team up that's been throwing 20 - 50 Million pounds at players every single year for 15 years in a short space of time your going to have to open your cheque book.

United have been spending big since the late 90's.

The only thing I'll give them is they are better at selling their players on than City or Chelsea and thus recouperating the money and requiring less invest, good for them as their about 550 million in the red last time I checked.

But that is more because the glazers bought them with debt, the difference with united is they buy one big player a year, they look at what their team needs and go out and get the best, Van Persie, Van Nistelroy, Wayne Rooney, Rio Ferdinand, Andy Cole all cost a lot of money at that time, but they have all paid back that money.

Yes there were some expensive failures, Veron being probably the biggest, but it is not just about the amount they spent, as you say they have sold well too, and recouped a fair chunk, in that sense they are not just throwing money at the title in the same way Chelsea and Man City have done.

I bloody hate united if only for the masses of glory supporters in Leicester who should support their local team and help us fill the stadium. I also speak to a lot of United "supporters" who know nothing about football (from the annoying "What league are Leicester even in? Is that the second tier or the third? Have you ever been in the prem?" to the ridiculous "United are the best team in the Premier League" one week then the next "What is Fergie doing, why has he started Scholes and Carrick?" when they go 1 0 down the next).

Saying that, no problems with any of the actual local fans and although I dislike him, Fergie is absolutely phenomenal. Breeds a good ethos which is why I am more than happy we are taking on a lot of their youth players either on loan or permanently.

But that is more because the glazers bought them with debt, the difference with united is they buy one big player a year, they look at what their team needs and go out and get the best, Van Persie, Van Nistelroy, Wayne Rooney, Rio Ferdinand, Andy Cole all cost a lot of money at that time, but they have all paid back that money.

Yes there were some expensive failures, Veron being probably the biggest, but it is not just about the amount they spent, as you say they have sold well too, and recouped a fair chunk, in that sense they are not just throwing money at the title in the same way Chelsea and Man City have done.

I don't really understand this criticism of Chelsea and Man City. If it weren't for them the Premier League wouldn't be one of the most competitive and entertaining leagues in the world. To catch up with a team that can "afford" one big signing a year for the past 15 years sometimes it takes 5 or 6 signings like City have had to do.

If it's more a criticism of current football financial management and its injustice etc, then we need a change of football culture and to go through a transition period in England (less expensive imports so a lower overall standard of football at least in the short to medium term), a trade-off most fans aren't prepared to make.

lol They do not, they buy at least one, granted. They bought Kagawa for 12 and RVP for 22 this year, Jones, De Gea and Young for about 18 each the season before, they had a bit of a meager two years (still buying Smalling for ten and Valencia for 16 though) before that there was Berbatov (30) and the season before they spunked massive amounts on Anderson Hargreaves Tevez and Nani.

They've been buying the league for years, yes they add where they need to in order to challange, City do the same, as did Chelsea, except they need to add everywhere, as they don't have the foundation from buying good players every year that United have. It's the same thing, just spread out over a longer period of time lol

I think that's abit harsh. I'd say 100% of man utds supporters have been told or saw or even witnessed the tragic disaster of Munich. Going from a great English club with a lot of talent to losing thre quaters of the squad and starting afresh. It's said around the country that the majority of utd supporters live outside of Manchester yet the poll with took place all round the greater Manchester area proved that 60% of them were red. As for the fans on away days I go to the majority of away matches and never once seen trouble. As I hang around carrington 5 days out of 7 I get to see a lot the youth and reserve players. All of which at times sit in a classroom and learn the histories of the club they are about the wear the shirt for. I believe SAF feels the players need to know history about the club as it can influence performances and egos both on and off the field.

That was over half a century ago. As tragic as it was, you can't say it's still fresh in the memory or the team are still recovering from it. United have got absolutely nothing to moan about in terms of performance on the pitch over the past 20 years and it has made a lot of the United fans I know very arrogant. Also, MP is right - the vast, vast majority of Man United 'fans' live outside of Manchester and I'd wager a large percentage of them have never been to the stadium.

I personally don't really care about United either way, I don't particularly like Ferguson's constant hypocrisy which pisses me off. He moans about Williams kicking a ball at RVP but never said anything about the Keane challenge on Haaland. He moans about PSG spending tens of millions of pounds on 'kid' Lucas Moura when he signed up Rooney, Nani and Anderson for absolute fortunes...

He's a brilliant manager but he's also a total nob most of the time.

lol They do not, they buy at least one, granted. They bought Kagawa for 12 and RVP for 22 this year, Jones, De Gea and Young for about 18 each the season before, they had a bit of a meager two years (still buying Smalling for ten and Valencia for 16 though) before that there was Berbatov (30) and the season before they spunked massive amounts on Anderson Hargreaves Tevez and Nani.

They've been buying the league for years, yes they add where they need to in order to challange, City do the same, as did Chelsea, except they need to add everywhere, as they don't have the foundation from buying good players every year that United have. It's the same thing, just spread out over a longer period of time lol

This is one of the things I was trying to say but put much better.

And to illustrate a point as to why people hate United the comments on this are absolutely ridiculous:

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2892/transfer-zone/2013/01/06/3652249/lucas-moura-leonardo-convinced-me-to-reject-manchester?source=breakingnews

"When someone chooses PSG over Manchester United, Ibrahimovic over Rooney, Ancelloti over SAF and Ligue 1 over EPL, you know what he is.."

etc. etc. etc.

Same on every article involving United anywhere.

Not denying the spend a lot of money, and have smashed the transfer record a number of times, but that is my point, it has been spread out over a number of years and has been funded by success and by selling not by a super rich owner, that is why I prefer them to Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal, wouldn't mind seeing spurs win the league, or Liverpool return to former glories and challenge at the top, then we really would have a top flight competition where anyone from 6 could realistically win the league.

I live in greater Manc so I have ManU & Man City-supporting friends and I go to local pubs to watch either play. I have 2 points.

First, that to say 60% of Manchester people support United is meaningless. It depends on the word "support". If asked in a poll, anyone may state a preference, but do they support the club in any meaningful way - by watching them on TV, buying merchandise, going to matches home/away etc?

Secondly, I know for a fact that many Man U "fans" round here have a very blinkered knowledge of football. They are completely unaware of, and uninterested in, anything below the prem. They rarely know anything about the Man U squad or their own youngsters coming through either. If I say that Cleverly cut his teeth with Leicester they have no idea. If I said that we have Michael Keane on loan and have signed some of their discards, they wouldn't have heard of them.

there is a lot worse teams to have links with! probably the best youth set up in the England if not Europe and we are complaining that we either buy or loan off them? :rolleyes:

This...

Spot on IMO.

I also think it shows that Man Utd have faith in us to develop their young Loanees.

Secondly, I know for a fact that many Man U "fans" round here have a very blinkered knowledge of football. They are completely unaware of, and uninterested in, anything below the prem. They rarely know anything about the Man U squad or their own youngsters coming through either. If I say that Cleverly cut his teeth with Leicester they have no idea. If I said that we have Michael Keane on loan and have signed some of their discards, they wouldn't have heard of them.

That's funny cos I live in Manchester and have had many decent conversations with United fans when we've loaned their younger players and they generally seemed to be well informed and interested in the potential future players for their club.

What have we learnt here? That generalisations are sometimes wrong.

Wellens, Marshall, Drinkwater, James, De Laet & Keane all played for Man Utd, Schmeichel's Dad is an MUFC legend & doesn't Morgan actually support them?

I've got a funny attitude to Man Utd, hate how they've gone down all the marketing in Asia/corporate route (I swear that's why they signed Kagawa) but I've only got admiration for a lot about them. Their away support is the best in England and their success is far more respectable than any of this shite from Chelsea or Man City.

Morgan is a Forest fan

We are doing the same

Like them or hate them there will come a time in the not too distant future when they will go back to being a side like they were in the early 80's. Fergie isn't getting any younger but when he goes or moves upstairs it will be a few seasons I think before you'll see a change in their winning mentality.

They haven't always been the top side, Liverpool walked over them for years, now look at them, United could end up like they are now, top 7 or 8 side.

But a manager could take over like Pep or Jose and keep it going, if they don't I expect a lot of managers through the door quickly like Chelsea until they find one to carry it on.

If they did go on a long baron spell with no trophies, Old Trafford would be a big ground to fill week in week out then. The proportion of glory hunting fans there must out way the locals who have season tickets.

While we keep getting the younger kids in here and they do well though, I'm all for their set up!

Not denying the spend a lot of money, and have smashed the transfer record a number of times, but that is my point, it has been spread out over a number of years and has been funded by success and by selling not by a super rich owner, that is why I prefer them to Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal, wouldn't mind seeing spurs win the league, or Liverpool return to former glories and challenge at the top, then we really would have a top flight competition where anyone from 6 could realistically win the league.

Actually it was funded by stock market flotation and them being fortunate enough to be succesfull in a period when TV rights money was esclating every year meaning they got richer year on year and a bigger gap was opened. Until Arsenal actually did win the league by carefully buying extremly good players for bargain prices, if thats what wins your respect it's them you should be looking at, They are the only club that has truly balanced their books and remained in the top 4, and how you can call them arrogant compared to Manchester United I simply do not know, deluded that the days of old and trophies are just around the corner perhaps but arrogant? Not in the same league!

You obviously have a thing against super rich owners as a lot of people do so fair enough if that's the way you feel, although as a Leicester fan it's slightly hypocritical. We've had a good go at buying this league ourselves (obviously resulting in failure)

Actually it was funded by stock market flotation and them being fortunate enough to be succesfull in a period when TV rights money was esclating every year meaning they got richer year on year and a bigger gap was opened. Until Arsenal actually did win the league by carefully buying extremly good players for bargain prices, if thats what wins your respect it's them you should be looking at, They are the only club that has truly balanced their books and remained in the top 4, and how you can call them arrogant compared to Manchester United I simply do not know, deluded that the days of old and trophies are just around the corner perhaps but arrogant? Not in the same league!

You obviously have a thing against super rich owners as a lot of people do so fair enough if that's the way you feel, although as a Leicester fan it's slightly hypocritical. We've had a good go at buying this league ourselves (obviously resulting in failure)

I do have a respect for Arsenal and what they have done I just find them to be very arrogant and whine a lot, Wenger for all his undoubted talent, is pretty much the embodiment of this attitude and does my head in.

To be honest I didn't enjoy much of being a Leicester fan under the Thais until we got NP back, I didn't agree with their spending policy under Sven, and I had very little love or interest in the players he brought in and I am glad most of them have gone, I am so happy we have taken a long term approach and investing in young hungry talent instead of big "names" and high profile loanees.

I guess the difference between the Sven era and the NP era under the thais is the difference between the Chelsea approach and the United approach, yes under NP we have spent a lot of money, and yes we pay better wages than most, but we are now spending within our limits, and we are financing it by selling and off loading unwanted players. We are buying players that will be servants to the club for a while, have a decent re-sale potential and I don't think we have over paid for any under NP (You and others will disagree with me over Vardy). The approach under Sven was similar to everything I dislike about Chelsea and Man City and I disliked it when we were doing it here.

I do have a respect for Arsenal and what they have done I just find them to be very arrogant and whine a lot, Wenger for all his undoubted talent, is pretty much the embodiment of this attitude and does my head in.

To be honest I didn't enjoy much of being a Leicester fan under the Thais until we got NP back, I didn't agree with their spending policy under Sven, and I had very little love or interest in the players he brought in and I am glad most of them have gone, I am so happy we have taken a long term approach and investing in young hungry talent instead of big "names" and high profile loanees.

I guess the difference between the Sven era and the NP era under the thais is the difference between the Chelsea approach and the United approach, yes under NP we have spent a lot of money, and yes we pay better wages than most, but we are now spending within our limits, and we are financing it by selling and off loading unwanted players. We are buying players that will be servants to the club for a while, have a decent re-sale potential and I don't think we have over paid for any under NP (You and others will disagree with me over Vardy). The approach under Sven was similar to everything I dislike about Chelsea and Man City and I disliked it when we were doing it here.

I pretty much concour with over the Erickson era, to be honest I attended more games under Levein, Kelly, and even Holloway than I did under Sven.

But Chelsea and Manchester City needed to do what they did in order to catch up with a team spending for years on end and it still took them a few years to achieve their goals, and it makes the Prem more interesting, I'm glad they did it. I'm not saying Wenger doesn't whinge and moan but Ferguson with his leathal footballs, not enough added time, waa waa this player hasn't signed for the great united it's not fair, and invisible grey away kits it's just as bad if not worse.

I pretty much concour with over the Erickson era, to be honest I attended more games under Levein, Kelly, and even Holloway than I did under Sven.

But Chelsea and Manchester City needed to do what they did in order to catch up with a team spending for years on end and it still took them a few years to achieve their goals, and it makes the Prem more interesting, I'm glad they did it. I'm not saying Wenger doesn't whinge and moan but Ferguson with his leathal footballs, not enough added time, waa waa this player hasn't signed for the great united it's not fair, and invisible grey away kits it's just as bad if not worse.

Yeah Ferguson is no saint, they are probably all as bad as each other, but Manchester United were fantastic in the 90s,

Schmeichel, Parker, Irwin, Pallister, Bruce, Ince, Keane, Kanchelskis, Giggs, Cantona and Hughes were an awesome 11, and I loved watching them play, and have had many truly class players and provided many iconic football moments since I started watching football.

I guess they are still trading on that credit with me,

Wellens, Marshall, Drinkwater, James, De Laet & Keane all played for Man Utd, Schmeichel's Dad is an MUFC legend & doesn't Morgan actually support them?

I've got a funny attitude to Man Utd, hate how they've gone down all the marketing in Asia/corporate route (I swear that's why they signed Kagawa) but I've only got admiration for a lot about them. Their away support is the best in England and their success is far more respectable than any of this shite from Chelsea or Man City.

That's because they're all locals.

Cleverly is the only person we had from United last time round Pearson was here? He must of had this connection when he started at Hull

I think it might have started with Cleverley. I'm sure SAF said he was really pleased with the way NP dealt with him and developed him. It's obviously a great relationship to have with a club that produces some of the best young players in the country.

I have a love-hate attitude toward Man U (my in-laws are Old Trafford season ticket holders, living minutes away in Sale). One of my greatest memories will always be O'Neil's Leicester beating the Devils in their own back yard, Cottee getting the only goal. Heading to the ground that day I just knew it was going to be our day. To present day, read the Merc report on Matty James' progress and wondered HOW MANY current city players have a connection to Man U. Strangely enough the one area they're truly lacking is a decent keeper and this Schmeichel is staying here.

I am sick and tired of hearing about MUFC. Schmeichel (the father) used to be a TV commentator on danish TV and he was soooo biased towards MUFC. SAF is a complete and utter moaner that basically manages to influence the refs. in a manner that is so pathetic that I tend to compare him with the primary ass of football - our Swiss friend Blatter...

In this country (DK) we have so many "glory hunter" fans that it is ubelievable. Whichever team wins the Prem is supported, but very few supporters actually support at proper team and stand by them year after year in good and bad times.

Schmeichel the younger should never go to MUFC as he would ALWAYS be compared to the "old man", and that would be deeply unfair considering Kasper is an incredible goalkeeper although not yet in his fathers class (and he actually peaked in his very late twenties and early thirties).

Would be so wonderful to kick some MUFC asses in the Prem next year :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:

Archived