Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ric Flair

Golf

52 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

@Zear0 I know you were after some new gear.

Just had an email from Scottsdale golf, 10% off everything with code BNTEN

Makes a big difference if you're looking at a set of irons.

I sound like I work for Scottsdale, I don't. I wish I did! Just found them always fair for prices and stock.

Thanks for that! Probably holding off until Spring as I'm a bit of a fair weather golfer and will probably be after some new bat's by then even I get a set now. 

I did however walk out of the shop with a new wedge. Seeing as I can't hit a green to save my life, it'll get some good use. 

IMG-20231027-WA0009.jpg

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

Thanks for that! Probably holding off until Spring as I'm a bit of a fair weather golfer and will probably be after some new bat's by then even I get a set now. 

I did however walk out of the shop with a new wedge. Seeing as I can't hit a green to save my life, it'll get some good use. 

IMG-20231027-WA0009.jpg

Beautiful wedges. The MG2?

I've got the MG3 52 and 58 degree. 

I've let the faces of mine rust, as they're intended to.

Widely rated better than the Titleist Vokey :thumbup:

11 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Beautiful wedges. The MG2?

I've got the MG3 52 and 58 degree. 

I've let the faces of mine rust, as they're intended to.

Widely rated better than the Titleist Vokey :thumbup:

Yeah. Really enjoying them. 

I had loads of swings with the Vokeys but they just felt too light, had no feel with them whatsoever. The contempt in the club shop guys face when he uttered the word Vokey was a joy to behold. Kind of clubs Brendan would use... 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Zear0 said:

Yeah. Really enjoying them. 

I had loads of swings with the Vokeys but they just felt too light, had no feel with them whatsoever. The contempt in the club shop guys face when he uttered the word Vokey was a joy to behold. Kind of clubs Brendan would use... 

I should be sponsored by TaylorMade. 

Honestly can't fault their clubs at all.

They've got even better since becoming independent from Adidas.

Even @Izzy is becoming a convert lol

Real quality gear. 

• Like 1

Started playing more and more this year and set myself a target of breaking 100 before the year was out. Scored exactly 100 twice (including a complete blow up 8 shots on a par 4 18th to ruin a solid round). 

Finally broke it back at the start of September when everything seemed to flow nicely and managed to shoot 95. 

Following that, treated myself to a new driver as just been using a Wilson package set which has done me very well but the driver in particular is very flexible. Went for a fitting and all went well, added about 20 yards to my drive on the simulator and all looked good..... then shot my worst round of the year and lost all confidence. Starting hooking the ball really badly and just couldn't get going on anything. Drives were wild, irons all over the place, no delicate chips around the green and couldn't read a putt to save my life. Few weeks off from it all and then went out with no practice on Friday and shot 99. Stupid sport. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, syston_fox said:

Started playing more and more this year and set myself a target of breaking 100 before the year was out. Scored exactly 100 twice (including a complete blow up 8 shots on a par 4 18th to ruin a solid round). 

Finally broke it back at the start of September when everything seemed to flow nicely and managed to shoot 95. 

Following that, treated myself to a new driver as just been using a Wilson package set which has done me very well but the driver in particular is very flexible. Went for a fitting and all went well, added about 20 yards to my drive on the simulator and all looked good..... then shot my worst round of the year and lost all confidence. Starting hooking the ball really badly and just couldn't get going on anything. Drives were wild, irons all over the place, no delicate chips around the green and couldn't read a putt to save my life. Few weeks off from it all and then went out with no practice on Friday and shot 99. Stupid sport. 

Hardest sport in the world.

Where did you play?

Edited by The Year Of The Fox

4 hours ago, Super_horns said:

Considered it, but immediately thought better of it as my gear isn't cheap.

I've played with someone who once just snapped their driver shaft over their thigh.

And someone else who absolutely launched a club down the fairway. Went about 60 yards further than their ball lol

I once missed a short putt, scooped up the ball with the back of my putter, then absolutely tw4tted the ball a mile, baseball style. 

My putter head fell off and I had to pay for it to be re-shafted! Completed the round putting with a 4 iron.

Edited by tom27111
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Super_horns said:

Oh dear !

Rather unfortunate for Tiger and Rory .

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/tiger-woods-rory-mcilroy-tgl-delayed-2025-roof/amp

Not me,  but my mate after missing a three foot putt firstly wakked the ball into the sea, then we watched as his putter disappeared into the top of a very tall gorse bush.  Took him, on his own, as we couldn't stand up for laughing,  about ten minutes to retrieve it.

31 minutes ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

Rahm rumoured to be in talks with LIV

👀

And apparently LIV is coming to the JCB 

Spent years trying to blag my way onto that course without success. Be great to visit as a spectator too. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

Spent years trying to blag my way onto that course without success. Be great to visit as a spectator too. 

Yeah, I’m pinning my hopes on one person who told me earlier this year he’d be able to get me on. Put him on the Top Table of my wedding if he pulls it off 😂

But yes, I think it’ll be more likely that the way I get access to the course is by buying LIV tickets 😂

Just had a round at The Northampton. 

Very nice, despite the weather. Some real picturesque holes, can imagine it's stunning in the summer.

It's only 10 minutes from me, but first time I've played it.

Right next to Althorp House.

Shot a fairly respectable 90.

My short game has gone to shit, but driving was great.

One day they might both come good at the same time!

Edited by tom27111
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Just had a round at The Northampton. 

Very nice, despite the weather. Some real picturesque holes, can imagine it's stunning in the summer.

It's only 10 minutes from me, but first time I've played it.

Right next to Althorp House.

Shot a fairly respectable 90.

My short game has gone to shit, but driving was great.

One day they might both come good at the same time!

First three and last three holes are very picturesque and possibly the 7th ? (short 90 degree dog leg right to left with second shot being down to the green) also a good hole but otherwise there are quite a lot of long bland straight up and down holes imo 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

First three and last three holes are very picturesque and possibly the 7th ? (short 90 degree dog leg right to left with second shot being down to the green) also a good hole but otherwise there are quite a lot of long bland straight up and down holes imo 

Yeah, pretty much spot on. 

There was a 540ish yard par 5, straight as a die.

Looked horrendous, especially is this weather, with no roll. And it was lol

That 18th is glorious though. Stone Bridge to the right, short par 4.

I ALMOST drove it. About 15 yards short.

Then duffed a chip and 2 putted :unsure:

Want to play it in the summer. 

That 17th par 3 over the lake is very daunting. But in this weather, greens were very receptable, so swings and roundabouts.

Isn’t it the 16th which is the par 3 over the lake ? 

I did similar to you last time I played there 

Drove just off the green to the right by the wall then fluffed my lines BADLY 

The balcony overlooking 18 is a nice spot for a beer in the summer

Shit chipping through the winter is pretty standard for lots of us so you’re in good company btw 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Isn’t it the 16th which is the par 3 over the lake ? 

I did similar to you last time I played there 

Drove just off the green to the right by the wall then fluffed my lines BADLY 

The balcony overlooking 18 is a nice spot for a beer in the summer

Shit chipping through the winter is pretty standard for lots of us so you’re in good company btw 

You might be right with the par 3 over the lake. I think 17 is a shortish par 4 too, just over 300 yards?

They're currently making everyone play the 10th first, because they allow trollies on that 9, 1 to 9 is carry only.

You've made me feel better about my chipping! 

Definitely worth playing. I'll go again in the summer. You'd get some serious roll on some fairways.

Stopping dead today, just falling short of plugging.

• Like 1