Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ric Flair

Golf

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Genuinely in the top 3 experiences I've had playing golf. The weather was perfect and it was stunning. I cannot recommend the place enough and for only £40 a round. Shot 72 (4 over) so even better. It isn't that difficult when the wind isn't up, so I got very lucky.

You've had a right result there mate.

£40 is brilliant value by all accounts. I'm delighted you played well too Ric. Shooting 72 around any track is very good golf.

Every time I've been lucky enough to play a top course I always play shite (think I might get a bit intimidated or overawed and then lose my concentration)

On ‎03‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 15:24, Izzy Muzzett said:

You've had a right result there mate.

£40 is brilliant value by all accounts. I'm delighted you played well too Ric. Shooting 72 around any track is very good golf.

Every time I've been lucky enough to play a top course I always play shite (think I might get a bit intimidated or overawed and then lose my concentration)

Haha I am usually like that but recently I've stopped giving a shit when I play golf and it's amazing how calmer and better you can play! If I got back in to competition golf though I'm sure it would all change again.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Can't wait for the Open next week, the best golfing week of the year. 

Early fancies are Rose, Fowler and Garcia. I also think Kuchar is chunky at 50/1, he's very steady and likes the links tracks has a good record in the Scottish Open. 

Would be amazing to see Fleetwood win though, a local lad fighting back and absolutely flying this season. 

Roll on Birkdale. 

Morning lads, it's upon us!

Birkdale is one of the best venues in my opinion as it's very different in terms of scoring and view than a lot of the Scottish links courses. It's a fair course in the sense the fairways are relatively flat and there's seldom a blind tee shot or approach, but it's a par 70 with no par 5's until the 15th so scoring can be really tough, especially with poor weather. It appears the weather could be a bit wild with some wind and rain so this plays a massive part in selections. I wouldn't put all your eggs in one basket and go for all players who are grinders and good in wind etc but bare it in mind.

I really fancy Snedeker this week both FRL and outright, he's a player who's started very well at The Open on a few occasions and has also finished 3rd before and a couple of other near misses. He's a master around Pebble Beach which is a course that can be likened to a number of British links courses and he's ticking along nicely. At 90/1 10 places last week I had to snap him up £5 each way. I've got him at 60/1 7 places for FRL too. He's got a nice morning tee off slot too which if you factor in the potential weather conditions a Thursday AM and Friday PM could be the best draw for players.

Andy Sullivan's form has been tracking nicely, he's had a fairly quiet year by his standards but in the last few weeks he's shown some real quality, both at the Irish Open and Scottish Open which is links golf. He also finished 12th I think last year at Troon so we know he's comfortable with these conditions. £5 e/w 100/1 10 places.

Tony Finau has snuck in due to Ben Curtis withdrawing and as soon as I heard this, I had to get some dough on before his price potentially dropped. Sky Bet (the only bookies to be offering 10 places) still had him at 150/1 which is what I got him at last Wednesday £5 e/w. Finau is a beast of a player, he hits it a mile and his tee to green stats are unbelievable. With the distance he hits it, these conditions might not be such a problem as he can sting anything further the majority of players, the fact he's not overly wild as well is a rarity. He was right in the mix for 2-3 rounds last year at Troon but tailed off towards the end, but that's enough for me to know he's got something about him with links golf. He also placed in a US Open a few years ago in fairly tricky conditions and his 2017 record on the PGA Tour is fairly nice reading. There's been a number of near misses but I'd be ok with another near miss this week and a full place pay out.

Patrick Reed is a horrible man and at times a horrible player, he's like Bubba Watson in I cannot really take to him but he knows his way around a golf club and usually in testing conditions. I've read a few spectator bits and pieces from early practice days and it's been said that Reed is ripping it. He's been playing loads at Birkdale and I've just a hunch he's going to be in the mix this week. 70/1 8 places £5 e/w

I've also had a few bets on the exchanges win only in a bid to lay off and return a profit in play.

Fowler - I've had to have a tenner on him at 19.0 this morning as it's been nagging me. I always get Fowler wrong in majors, I backed him for The Masters but swerved him for The US Open and I was set to leave him this week but he is perfect for The Open. He's done very well here a few times and I think he'll win it at least once so I've had my final bet on him.

Rose - He finished T4 here as a amateur in 1998 and although he's not done a great deal in Opens since then, he is suited to links golf if the conditions suit. I've had a fiver at 23.0 just for interest and to see if I can turn a profit.

Westwood 90.0, Cink 430.0, Chan Kim 1000.0, Alex Bjork 730.0, DeChambeau 290.0, Harrington 100.0 all £2.50

These are just what I deem overpriced and if one of them gets even close to being in the mix then it will be easy to turn a profit and cover my outlay elsewhere, this has done me well in the last couple of majors.

Good luck everyone, I'm buzzing for this week. Sadly can't go on Saturday any longer but i'll be watching almost every shot over the 4 days at home.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, HowardsBulletHeader said:

Always enjoy reading your thoughts Ric, I've seen you've gone Snedeker FRL, any more FRL fancies? 

I quite like Ryan Fox as an outsider too, 150/1 right now and playing some good stuff in recent weeks. 

Ryan Fox is flying right now 6-4-4 is incredible on 3 very difficult golf courses that are all links or coastal. He's definitely one to consider mate!

I like Peter Uihlein at 125/1 FRL too. He's a FRL beast and also he's got form on links courses finishing 2nd at The Alfred Dunhill in 2013 and I've read a trend that players who have had a top 5 there have all placed at an Open as well at some point. He's in good form too, finished 2nd a few weeks ago so he's one definitely FRL and potentially at 175/1 e/w outright. 

Ive also had a wild 400/1 FRL punt on Harry Ellis. British/Irish amateurs have done very well in recent years and a few of them have been FRL (Tom Lewis and Paul Dunne) and this lad has been tipped up by Ben Coley at Sporting Life outright (1500/1) so he's got something about him!

30 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

snedeker is the most popular bet on oddschecker, how many times have you added him to your betslip @Ric Flair

Hahahaaa I've had another couple of nibbles! Everyone's tipping him now this week, probably a bad omen for me that is.

1 hour ago, ScouseFox said:

can hear ric's tears from here 

DEVASTATED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He'd got the fcuker pinned mate.

I don't know where to go from here, I've £30 refunded in FRL and outright to use but my hearts not in it. He was my main boy.

I don't know where to go from here, I've £30 refunded in FRL and outright to use but my hearts not in it. He was my main boy.

All on Alexander Bjork then yeah? 

• Like 1

brian harman 

49 minutes ago, lildave3 said:

All on Alexander Bjork then yeah? 

I'm on Bjork win only on betfair at 880/1 last week. Edited to say it's 730/1 not 880/1. Dunno where I picked that number from! Haha.

46 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

brian harman 

He's in my portfolio, kid. He's an unreal scrambler/putter and will love this blood bath if he weather turns pony.

26 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I'm on Bjork win only on betfair at 880/1 last week. Edited to say it's 730/1 not 880/1. Dunno where I picked that number from! Haha.

He's in my portfolio, kid. He's an unreal scrambler/putter and will love this blood bath if he weather turns pony.

£2 on at 1000 after I saw you mention him. I'm expecting that to be 100 after a day.

• Like 1

Favourite sporting time of year, Wimbledon followed by The Open, three weeks of sporting bliss.

Another wide open major but gone for E/W on Leishman, Pieters & Cabrera-Bello all of which are around 50/1.

As always I have fired a fair few darts at The Open, hoping that something sticks including a couple of my trusty old reliables.

Garcia

Fleetwood

Grace

Kuchar

Westwood

Stricker

Kjeldsen

The first round leader I have had

Leishman

Z Johnson

Bland

I also think a trixie of some of the big guns to miss the cut (McIlroy, D Johnson & Day) could be worthwhile. Lump of the week is Bubba Watson to miss the cut & Ernie Els to make the cut both at odds against.

Good luck gamblers!

Had a feeling it might be Poulters time so stuck a fiver on him at 70/1 last night. Decent start and he's now 20/1. Early days but come on Poults my son!!

Also had a little nibble on Westwood (I'll never learn) Garcia, Scott and Leishman. 

But Speith or DJ will probably win it :rolleyes: