Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ric Flair

Golf

It's been a bloodbath for me on day 1. I know it's early days but most of my bets look written off already bar only 2 or 3. Biggest disappointment has been Fowler and Reed. We go again tomorrow. Hoping Finau and Sullivan shoot mid 60's to get in the mix.

I think Rory was about 20/1 before the start?

I checked his in play odds after his disastrous front 9 and he'd drifted to 70/1 to win the thing.

Being the mug that I am, it looked tempting and once again I had a 'feeling' he'd turn it around.

So another tenner potentially wasted on Rory or a cool £700 if he ultimately pulls off the miracle :rolleyes:

At this rate I'll have a bit of money on everyone in the field! lol

This is why I don't bet full time and only on special occasions thank fvck..

• Like 1

There is so much value in play now the weather is turning horrid. Olesen was 200/1 6 places this morning at level par. I've had to have a nibble after winning a bit on a 3 ball acca yesterday. It really could still be anyone's Open from as far back as 10-12 shots behind as today is going to be heinous.

22 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

There is so much value in play now the weather is turning horrid. Olesen was 200/1 6 places this morning at level par. I've had to have a nibble after winning a bit on a 3 ball acca yesterday. It really could still be anyone's Open from as far back as 10-12 shots behind as today is going to be heinous.

"I've HAD to have a nibble" lol

I'm desperately trying to avoid the temptation to place more bets today. Trying to save what little money I've got left to bet on 'in play' on the last 9 on Sunday instead :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Britain Is The Home Of Golf. The Old Folks’ Home, That Is.

With first-time winners taking each of the last seven major titles, you might not think experience counts for much in golf anymore. But as the world’s top players head to Royal Birkdale for this week’s (British) Open, it serves as a reminder that the unique challenges of links-style courses still provide at least one championship showcase for golf’s greybeards.

Traditionally speaking, championship golfers do the bulk of their winning in their late 20s and early-to-mid 30s: Since 2000, about 60 percent of major winners were age 32 or younger at the time of their victory. But the big exception seems to be the British Open, whose champs are consistently much older than those of the other majors. Of the five major wins by the 40-and-older set since 2000, only one of them didn’t come at The Open (Vijay Singh’s 2004 PGA Championship win). According to ESPN’s Stats & Information Group, the average age for British Open winners since 2000 was 33.7, while the average age for all other major champs was 30.7.

And the results have been even more extreme in recent years, with four 40-somethings winning the Claret Jug this decade,1 and this doesn’t even count Zach Johnson (who won The Open at age 39 in 2015), nor does it reflect the heroic near-misses from old-timers this century, such as 59-year-old Tom Watson’s playoff loss at Turnberry in 2009 and 53-year-old Greg Norman’s third-place finish in 2008 — the last time Birkdale hosted the event. Since 2011, the average age for The Open winners has been 38.5, nearly 10 years older than the average of the other three majors ...

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/britain-is-the-home-of-golf-the-old-folks-home-that-is/

Whadda you all think to Andrew Johnson being announced as 'Beef' Johnson on the 1 st tee at The Open?

Apparently the announcer asked him if he was O.K. with it, and of course he said "yeah, I'm cool with that"

Looks like it's split opinion, and those thinking golf needs to appeal to the kids and get with modern times thought it was a great idea.

Old skool traditionalists like me think it's crass, amateur, unnecessary and very 'un-open' like. 

As soon as golfers start getting announced by their nicknames I think it sets a precedence and I'm surprised the R&A allowed it, but I guess it's no big deal in the grand scheme of things :whistle:

Ivor Robson will be turning in his grave though lol

Whadda you all think to Andrew Johnson being announced as 'Beef' Johnson on the 1 st tee at The Open?

Apparently the announcer asked him if he was O.K. with it, and of course he said "yeah, I'm cool with that"

Looks like it's split opinion, and those thinking golf needs to appeal to the kids and get with modern times thought it was a great idea.

Old skool traditionalists like me think it's crass, amateur, unnecessary and very 'un-open' like. 

As soon as golfers start getting announced by their nicknames I think it sets a precedence and I'm surprised the R&A allowed it, but I guess it's no big deal in the grand scheme of things :whistle:

Ivor Robson will be turning in his grave though lol

Newsflash for you Izzy. Tiger Woods' first name isn't Tiger (it's Eldrick) but he was always announced as that. If a player is better known by his nickname I don't see the problem, and Johnson is probably better known now as Beef than Andrew.

4 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Newsflash for you Izzy. Tiger Woods' first name isn't Tiger (it's Eldrick) but he was always announced as that. If a player is better known by his nickname I don't see the problem, and Johnson is probably better known now as Beef than Andrew.

Fair point, well made.

I suppose you could also say the same about Frank "Fuzzy" Zoeller.

I still think it's wrong though lol

The first player to EVER shoot a 62 in major golf history is......Branden Grace

:revenge:

Not happy about that. Bit of a cheat with that bunker ruling recently I thought.

• Like 1

I hate it when Majors end up being a procession and someone wins easily.

Good job I cashed out on Rory before he teed off today and lumped it all on Speith at 8/15

I'm determined to make a profit on this Open, if only a small one lol

• Like 1

Spieth is an absolute machine, can't help but be captivated by him.

I'm praying that Chan Kim can stay in the top 10. He was 2000/1 top 6, 1000/1 top 10 but all I got on him at the start was £2.50 win only at 1000/1 on betfair. I'm annoyed I didn't see him as one of my proper bets and had him each way , I saw his odds and knew he was way overpriced so had him in a back to lay. Anyway I topped up on him yesterday at 250/1 top 6 so it would be lovely if he could sneak a place.

My only other remote chance of anything is Tony Finau to get in the top 10 for about £150.

All in all its been a tough major betting wise for me. I'd be amazed if I get ahead this week.