Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ric Flair

Golf

Just now, spacemunky said:

Congrats to the both of ya :thumbup:

Thanks mate. I just had a feeling he was due a good tournament this week. Sets him up lovely for the Masters too!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Who wins The Masters then? What an unbelievable major this is gearing up to be? I just hope at least 4-5 of the big guns are all in the mix come the last day, it would be incredible.

It’s wide open mate, any one of about 20 could win it. I’d love to see Rory complete the slam but he could quite easily fvck it up again. Haven’t checked the odds yet but Rose, Mickelson and Thomas would probably be my three picks at this stage. Who knows???!!

2 hours ago, NorthfieldsFox said:

Speith 

His form this year bothers me but then he wasn't in the greatest of nick when he won The Open last year and he's proven what a beast he is at Augusta. His price certainly interests me more than DJ, Rory and JT. Tiger I think is a fair price even though he's been in the wilderness for so long and his recent improvement could still be a purple patch, it's the GOAT ain't it. I would love him to win it again, literally would go fcukin berserk. Golf still badly needs Tiger, I forgot the magic he brings until he was in the hunt at Valspar and I was mesmerised again like a 15 year old back in the late 90's. 

Alex Noren is so far my main bet £25 e/w at 55/1 6 places. I've also a few other anteposte bets on Cantlay (class act) and Daniel Berger. I'm trying not to go as mad as I've done in previous years and have half the field covered through endless bets in the months and weeks leading up to it. I'll possibly do 2-3 more, one being Bryson DeChambeau who I raved about as an amateur and is destined to go close at Augusta at some point, I'd like more than the 80/1 I've seen quoted though. He'll factor in to my first round leader bets too, I've somehow made some very good dough off that market in the last few years on Shane Lowry and Charley Hoffman last year. 

I will get looking at stats next week and I've one large bet left which I'm swaying towards Tiger, Bubba or Spieth right now.

8 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

His form this year bothers me but then he wasn't in the greatest of nick when he won The Open last year and he's proven what a beast he is at Augusta. His price certainly interests me more than DJ, Rory and JT. Tiger I think is a fair price even though he's been in the wilderness for so long and his recent improvement could still be a purple patch, it's the GOAT ain't it. I would love him to win it again, literally would go fcukin berserk. Golf still badly needs Tiger, I forgot the magic he brings until he was in the hunt at Valspar and I was mesmerised again like a 15 year old back in the late 90's. 

Alex Noren is so far my main bet £25 e/w at 55/1 6 places. I've also a few other anteposte bets on Cantlay (class act) and Daniel Berger. I'm trying not to go as mad as I've done in previous years and have half the field covered through endless bets in the months and weeks leading up to it. I'll possibly do 2-3 more, one being Bryson DeChambeau who I raved about as an amateur and is destined to go close at Augusta at some point, I'd like more than the 80/1 I've seen quoted though. He'll factor in to my first round leader bets too, I've somehow made some very good dough off that market in the last few years on Shane Lowry and Charley Hoffman last year. 

I will get looking at stats next week and I've one large bet left which I'm swaying towards Tiger, Bubba or Spieth right now.

Spieth 

I'd like Justin Rose to win the Masters, think he's got a great chance as well, been in super form since the back end of 2017 and of course lost in a playoff to Sergio last year. He clearly loves the track as well: 

2017 Playoff lost

2016 T10

2015 T2

He would be my bet, but if Tiger could stick that red shirt on and hunt down the leader on the back 9 Sunday, I'll settle for that too. It has been incredible to see him back and in contention the last few weeks and long may it continue. 

10 hours ago, HowardsBulletHeader said:

I'd like Justin Rose to win the Masters, think he's got a great chance as well, been in super form since the back end of 2017 and of course lost in a playoff to Sergio last year. He clearly loves the track as well: 

2017 Playoff lost

2016 T10

2015 T2

He would be my bet, but if Tiger could stick that red shirt on and hunt down the leader on the back 9 Sunday, I'll settle for that too. It has been incredible to see him back and in contention the last few weeks and long may it continue. 

He's surely going to win one at some point as he's really narrowing in at Augusta which you see so often with players and they eventually get the win. Although he's a massive bell end I think Paul Casey has a great chance this year and at 33/1 I've seen quoted is a handy price. He's got that monkey off his back with the win at Valspar a few weeks ago and he's got the complete package for The Masters. If anyone pushes him out to 40/1 then SMASH.

The match play has shown a few things, 1) Alex Noren is ticking along nicely and sincerely unlucky not to have made the final and 2) Bubba Watson when in this form is an animal. He surely goes to Augusta as the favourite in my opinion. He was 66/1 just a few weeks ago but is now in to about 16s which is still possibly a touch generous as he's won it twice before and has absolutely no fear. The each way price is long gone on him but I'd not fear a win only bet on someone like him. Buzzing now for The Masters, so many players coming in to form.

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

The match play has shown a few things, 1) Alex Noren is ticking along nicely and sincerely unlucky not to have made the final and 2) Bubba Watson when in this form is an animal. He surely goes to Augusta as the favourite in my opinion. He was 66/1 just a few weeks ago but is now in to about 16s which is still possibly a touch generous as he's won it twice before and has absolutely no fear. The each way price is long gone on him but I'd not fear a win only bet on someone like him. Buzzing now for The Masters, so many players coming in to form.

Boo, was hoping Bubba would still be about 28s.

2 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Boo, was hoping Bubba would still be about 28s.

Yeah the decent value is long gone. You tend not to get much off the bookies in The Masters annoyingly. Interestingly I've just read an exceptional piece on trends in the last 10 years at Augusta and the 2 players that fit them all the most are Rickie Fowler and Marc Leishman. I've had my fingers burnt on Fowler a lot over the years but he's simply too good not to win one soon and I've always thought he's one of those players that you know will don the green jacket at some point. Leishman is class, I had him at 400/1 when he came 4th in 2013 so always got a soft spot for him, he's decent value at 70/1 and might be my last bet bar first round leader bets.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Donut said:

Id still be playing golf if i didnt have the worst yips you will ever see.

I feel for you mate. I had a dose of the shanks from out of nowhere last year and it was horrible. No matter how many YouTube clips I watched about it, I couldn’t get rid and it became a mental problem. Ended up paying for a few lessons to sort me out. Hope you get it fixed because it seems a shame to miss out especially as the good weather is around to corner.

20 minutes ago, Donut said:

Id still be playing golf if i didnt have the worst yips you will ever see.

Oh no mate, how long you had them for? Get down the sports psychology route, it'll help. I am a fully qualified EFT Practitioner and Hypnotherapist and have helped a few in the past with similar issues, PM me and i'll send you some stuff over to try. I'm a crap putter myself but done a lot of mental work and it's the single biggest improvement to my game.

19 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

I feel for you mate. I had a dose of the shanks from out of nowhere last year and it was horrible. No matter how many YouTube clips I watched about it, I couldn’t get rid and it became a mental problem. Ended up paying for a few lessons to sort me out. Hope you get it fixed because it seems a shame to miss out especially as the good weather is around to corner.

17 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Oh no mate, how long you had them for? Get down the sports psychology route, it'll help. I am a fully qualified EFT Practitioner and Hypnotherapist and have helped a few in the past with similar issues. I'm a crap putter myself but done a lot of mental work and it's the single biggest improvement to my game.

Cheers guys. I had a video lesson with a renowned yip whisperer online last August, his name is Jim Waldron and hes based in Portland Oregon. He delivers psychological coaching. It cost a fortune, $270 over skype, but there was some improvement. On the range the problem was easing and I had a couple of rounds where i played quite well. I used to be a decent player, 2 handicap at lowest, and id broken 70 a few times in tournaments before too. Id managed some rounds between +4 and +6 which i felt very happy with considering id all but given up.

Then......i went and played a round towards getting my handicap back active and the wheels fell right off. In fact at one point, i was reliably told from a friend i was playing with who understands the issues ive been having for a while now, it took me over a minute and a half to hit ONE shot at one point. And it all just drained away towards the end.

My issues are very similar to those experienced by Kevin Na, Robert Karlsson, and sadly Graeme De Laet in the short game recently. Its physically not being able to hit the ball. A message from the brain to hit the ball, does not result in any movement of my body. It sounds crazy to type it out, but it leads to a paralysed state where hitting a good shot becomes impossible almost.

These feelings are deep rooted in psychology and come from pre historic times, many teachers have concluded. The brain interprets the game of golf, and the act of hitting the ball as a threat. And then to compensate, the mind stops the body continuing with the threatening act. The mind assosciates hitting golf shots with negative consequences, which unfortunately, we tend to reaffirm in the conscious mind by questionning what just happened.

As to why this happens.....a couple of people ive spoken to suggest the most likely cause is a gradual, undetected deterioration of technique. Only small. But sufficient enough that at some point in time, it caused a few uncharacteristically wild shots. The mind then interprets the shots, and the emotional consequence as a threat.

Oddly enough, i putt the ball absolutely fine. I chip the ball reasonably well too. I dont have the control and variety of shots i once did, but if i practiced them to the extent i used to when i played more golf, that touch would return (if the yips were totally banished). Bunker play too is a part of my game ive always been pretty strong in and that is decent.

I have another friend who has recommended a psychologist at Loughborough Uni, and i may look into that more and see if a different perspective may help

Edited by Donut

4 hours ago, HowardsBulletHeader said:

If Fowler wins a major and I haven't bet on him I will forever kick myself, I must've had him nearly every major since his incredible round in the Open in the hideous conditions at (I think) Sandwich. I remember watching it like it was yesterday. 

I was there for that, heavily hungover and in shorts and a bin bag. Absolutely harrowing but what a round from him. 

The more I look at the Masters the more I'm trying to find a decent player at a big price, I honestly can't see past the top players winning it, there's just too many in form not to. But I feel there's a price to be had: 

Branden Grace - 80/1 - You don't shoot 62's in majors for nothing, if the putter behaves this guy is fantastic. His AN record is nothing to speak of, he tends to struggle in the first rounds each year, but finally made the cut and finished T27 last year (first round 76). If he starts off well (which at Augusta he never has, best first round in the last 4 attempts is 75), expect him to improve as the week goes on. 

Kevin Chappell - 100/1 - Posted a T7 last year and I would suggest 12 months on is a much better all round player than he was back then. He's a steady eddy, but contended in enough big events (see Tour Championship 2016 for example) to be worthy of a mention. 

Xander Schauffele - 66/1 - I'm not sure 66/1 is enough of a price for me, but I feel he warrants a mention. This kid will be a star, he beat Justin Thomas to win the Tour Championship last year and finish 3rd overall in the FedEx Cup, in his rookie year. If he can do it there, he can take to Augusta, he has the game. He's only played one major so far, T5 at the US Open in 2017 (Koepka won). He has the feel of a player that the tougher the tournament, the more he thrives. 

Other notables: Kisner 100/1, Berger 80/1, Schwartzel 80/1. 

Be glad to hear some more thoughts of a few of you when you get some time! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HowardsBulletHeader said:

The more I look at the Masters the more I'm trying to find a decent player at a big price, I honestly can't see past the top players winning it, there's just too many in form not to. But I feel there's a price to be had: 

Branden Grace - 80/1 - You don't shoot 62's in majors for nothing, if the putter behaves this guy is fantastic. His AN record is nothing to speak of, he tends to struggle in the first rounds each year, but finally made the cut and finished T27 last year (first round 76). If he starts off well (which at Augusta he never has, best first round in the last 4 attempts is 75), expect him to improve as the week goes on. 

Kevin Chappell - 100/1 - Posted a T7 last year and I would suggest 12 months on is a much better all round player than he was back then. He's a steady eddy, but contended in enough big events (see Tour Championship 2016 for example) to be worthy of a mention. 

Xander Schauffele - 66/1 - I'm not sure 66/1 is enough of a price for me, but I feel he warrants a mention. This kid will be a star, he beat Justin Thomas to win the Tour Championship last year and finish 3rd overall in the FedEx Cup, in his rookie year. If he can do it there, he can take to Augusta, he has the game. He's only played one major so far, T5 at the US Open in 2017 (Koepka won). He has the feel of a player that the tougher the tournament, the more he thrives. 

Other notables: Kisner 100/1, Berger 80/1, Schwartzel 80/1. 

Be glad to hear some more thoughts of a few of you when you get some time! 

I'd maybe add Aphibarnrat that list @125/1 for a bit of e/w action.

Not a fashionable player but 29th in the world, a couple of top 10's so far this year and not afraid to win. Only thing is he's only played the Masters once by the look of it in 2016 but was a creditable T15th.

14 hours ago, kingfox said:

Probably one of the big guns, I usually say anyone but Mickelson but he's hit form at the perfect time.

As for an outside bet DeChambeau or Cantlay for me, both around 66/1, decent.

Make sure you back both in the first round leader market too. These have been my two I've had pinned for that all year.

Spieth is No.1 in strokes gained approach to the green this week which is one of the key stats for Augusta. I've got a £100 free bet with Paddy Power, it's all on Jordan. If that putter gets hot next week he's going to be hard to beat.

• Like 1