Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ric Flair

Golf

Just now, ScouseFox said:

yeah from about 14 onwards reed hasn’t given us a shot when he’s had a chance to flap it every time. thought he might’ve had some wobbly knees on one of his last few 6 footers for par, but he’s been straight n true. fair play. 

Yeah can't argue with his bottle the last few in fairness. 

Still probably the least popular winner of a golf tournament ever though. 

Not tour golf related but I played this Saturday and last, last Saturday +2 thru 13, finished with 3 doubles and a bogey in the last 5 holes and came off the course absolutely spitting feathers. So disappointed with how I finished and just nobody could talk me round. I wasn't a happy bunny. 

Today I could barely do wrong, birdied the 1st, doubled the 3rd and from there I was great. Birdied 6, 8, 12 and 17 and shot 2 under 69. *

Moral of the story, no matter how bad it gets, just keep plugging away, it'll come. 

*Might end up being screwed as my pal marked 6 on the 3rd and I marked 5. Didn't check the card. Stableford though so a blob either way, might get away with it, might be DQ'd with 43 points. Who knows. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, HowardsBulletHeader said:

Not tour golf related but I played this Saturday and last, last Saturday +2 thru 13, finished with 3 doubles and a bogey in the last 5 holes and came off the course absolutely spitting feathers. So disappointed with how I finished and just nobody could talk me round. I wasn't a happy bunny. 

Today I could barely do wrong, birdied the 1st, doubled the 3rd and from there I was great. Birdied 6, 8, 12 and 17 and shot 2 under 69. *

Moral of the story, no matter how bad it gets, just keep plugging away, it'll come. 

*Might end up being screwed as my pal marked 6 on the 3rd and I marked 5. Didn't check the card. Stableford though so a blob either way, might get away with it, might be DQ'd with 43 points. Who knows. 

I think you'll be O.K. mate because it's a stableford. You scored 0 points on the 3rd and signed for 0 points so should be fine. If it was a medal you'd be fvcked though :D

Scoring 69 on any day on any course is great shooting though. Good on ya.

I scored 36 points off my 7 handicap in our roll up today so pleased with that. Our course is still soaking wet so carry bags only - I'm knackered :sweating:

33 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

I think you'll be O.K. mate because it's a stableford. You scored 0 points on the 3rd and signed for 0 points so should be fine. If it was a medal you'd be fvcked though :D

Scoring 69 on any day on any course is great shooting though. Good on ya.

I scored 36 points off my 7 handicap in our roll up today so pleased with that. Our course is still soaking wet so carry bags only - I'm knackered :sweating:

Yes that was my thought, might get away with it in a stableford. 

Thanks mate, only my second ever sub 70 as well so nice to add to the tally! 

Any time we play to our handicap we should be happy. I remember reading an article telling me that if I played to my handicap twice a year I should be happy. I remember reading it and thinking if I only played to my handicap twice a year I'd quit ?

Well done on the 36 points sir. 

• Thanks 1

I've rejoined Hinckley after a few years hiatus, they've whacked me straight back off 6 which is a killer. First qualifier last week and I was level par through 7 holes and shot 83 hahaha. I'm hoping my 3 cards they want me to put in as a handicap review are considered as I'll struggle to play to single figures due to time constraints and a dog shit swing these days.

17 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I've rejoined Hinckley after a few years hiatus, they've whacked me straight back off 6 which is a killer. First qualifier last week and I was level par through 7 holes and shot 83 hahaha. I'm hoping my 3 cards they want me to put in as a handicap review are considered as I'll struggle to play to single figures due to time constraints and a dog shit swing these days.

Form is temporary, class is permanent as they say Ric :thumbup:

Time constraints is a killer though if you want to be a consistent cat one player I guess. It's no coincidence that the guys at our place who are really low put a lot of time, effort and practice in.

12 hours ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Form is temporary, class is permanent as they say Ric :thumbup:

Time constraints is a killer though if you want to be a consistent cat one player I guess. It's no coincidence that the guys at our place who are really low put a lot of time, effort and practice in.

I hope so mate, I always prided myself on being able to pick up any old set of clubs and barely practising and being able to hit it well just perhaps not have the skills honed enough to score well. However, in recent years my nomadic golf has caught up with me and I've found my swing is very delicate and i'll go spells of not being able to hit anything, which is very frustrating. I play golf now purely for enjoyment and for that reason alone I need to just keep positive and know that i'll have good rounds and plenty of iffy ones but the beauty of it all is being out there hitting balls and walking the courses, it really is the best game there is.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I hope so mate, I always prided myself on being able to pick up any old set of clubs and barely practising and being able to hit it well just perhaps not have the skills honed enough to score well. However, in recent years my nomadic golf has caught up with me and I've found my swing is very delicate and i'll go spells of not being able to hit anything, which is very frustrating. I play golf now purely for enjoyment and for that reason alone I need to just keep positive and know that i'll have good rounds and plenty of iffy ones but the beauty of it all is being out there hitting balls and walking the courses, it really is the best game there is.

The last part about positivity is definitely something I need to learn. If I'm relaxed and chilled and having a laugh I'll play well. As soon as it's serious and I start pressuring myself I tend to falter and not only that I'll beat myself up too. 

My putter tends to go very cold on me at times which is the most frustrating thing. I need to keep working at it and hope something clicks. 

But as you say, a 4 perhaps 4&1/2 hour walk with your pals? Nothing beats it. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Fvck golf, I'm done with it.

Since I had surgery at Xmas my games gone to pot. Driving and putting is O.K. but my irons are atrocious. Lost all my confidence, shanking it, too many swing thoughts etc, etc.

It's getting embarrassing now and I've started pulling out of comps because I don't want to humiliate myself anymore. Shame really but it's no fun any more. Time to find a new hobby or start to take my lad to the football at weekends instead.

Had a good run over the years, played some nice courses and made some good friends but time to call it a day now :(

• Sad 1

On ‎11‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 14:30, Izzy Muzzett said:

Fvck golf, I'm done with it.

Since I had surgery at Xmas my games gone to pot. Driving and putting is O.K. but my irons are atrocious. Lost all my confidence, shanking it, too many swing thoughts etc, etc.

It's getting embarrassing now and I've started pulling out of comps because I don't want to humiliate myself anymore. Shame really but it's no fun any more. Time to find a new hobby or start to take my lad to the football at weekends instead.

Had a good run over the years, played some nice courses and made some good friends but time to call it a day now :(

Don't do it mate, at the very least just take the rest of the year off and forget about golf but come back next year and you'll be surprised to find the brain can reset itself and you'll rediscover the ability. I'm playing atrociously at the minute but again it's often the way after an initial purple patch when you return from playing for a prolonged period. I know my form will pick up, whether it'll be to the level it was before I'm not sure but it's a sport that without playing all the while will always mean there'll be good and bad golf.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Don't do it mate, at the very least just take the rest of the year off and forget about golf but come back next year and you'll be surprised to find the brain can reset itself and you'll rediscover the ability. I'm playing atrociously at the minute but again it's often the way after an initial purple patch when you return from playing for a prolonged period. I know my form will pick up, whether it'll be to the level it was before I'm not sure but it's a sport that without playing all the while will always mean there'll be good and bad golf.

Thanks for the encouragement mate. Problem is, I think my game peaked last year and I can't see myself ever getting back to those levels. I got down to 5.5. but keep creeping back up and now off 7.2 but playing to about 18 FFS. I'm not sure my form ever will pick up again. I'm getting older and not as fit/powerful as I was. Surely it's only natural that we lose distance, touch and timing the older we get?

The pisser is that I can't just play golf for 'fun'. It's the only thing in life where I still like to be competitive - even if it's just playing the lads for money. I hate losing and it's becoming a habit now. I'd love to just rock up and enjoy it but I'm not having fun shooting 90 when I should be shooting in the 70's.

I think I'm definitely going to take a break from it, just not sure for how long. Reading the club's Facebook posts and HowDidIDo updates over the weekend just made me envious that I'm missing out.

It's a fvcking addiction and I hate it!!!!!:@

7 hours ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Thanks for the encouragement mate. Problem is, I think my game peaked last year and I can't see myself ever getting back to those levels. I got down to 5.5. but keep creeping back up and now off 7.2 but playing to about 18 FFS. I'm not sure my form ever will pick up again. I'm getting older and not as fit/powerful as I was. Surely it's only natural that we lose distance, touch and timing the older we get?

The pisser is that I can't just play golf for 'fun'. It's the only thing in life where I still like to be competitive - even if it's just playing the lads for money. I hate losing and it's becoming a habit now. I'd love to just rock up and enjoy it but I'm not having fun shooting 90 when I should be shooting in the 70's.

I think I'm definitely going to take a break from it, just not sure for how long. Reading the club's Facebook posts and HowDidIDo updates over the weekend just made me envious that I'm missing out.

It's a fvcking addiction and I hate it!!!!!:@

Of course you can get to that level again, look at some of the blokes at your club aged 50-60 who you marvel at that can still get round in 80 and their game just ticks along nicely. Your body can't just forget what it's done for years, not with golf. That's why it's an immense sport, the longevity of the game is what makes it so special. You could go months and months not breaking 90 but just like you didn't suddenly shoot low 70's you aren't suddenly going to be a 22 handicapper and stay there.

Be content you've already proved you can shoot the lights out, just rest up until the form comes back. Just go belt drivers up the range or putt for an hour every so often and build up the love again. These horrible spells make the good times all the more sweeter mate.

• Thanks 1

On 14/05/2018 at 21:26, Ric Flair said:

Of course you can get to that level again, look at some of the blokes at your club aged 50-60 who you marvel at that can still get round in 80 and their game just ticks along nicely. Your body can't just forget what it's done for years, not with golf. That's why it's an immense sport, the longevity of the game is what makes it so special. You could go months and months not breaking 90 but just like you didn't suddenly shoot low 70's you aren't suddenly going to be a 22 handicapper and stay there.

Be content you've already proved you can shoot the lights out, just rest up until the form comes back. Just go belt drivers up the range or putt for an hour every so often and build up the love again. These horrible spells make the good times all the more sweeter mate.

I went into the club today and 'suspended' my membership for 9 months. They'll keep the DD going at £1 a month so I stay a member, then I'll decide if to renew next Feb or not.

Feels quite liberating that I've actually made the break and quite looking forward to a bit of non golf time and being able to hang out with the kids at weekends. Think I'm a bit 'golfed out' after playing on average twice a week for the last 10 years :o I've also joined a gym in order to try and get fit, increase my energy and put a bit of muscle on hopefully!

Even if I give it a rest for 5 years until the kids are teenagers and don't want to know me anymore then I'll still only be 50 and hopefully have a few years left to play. Just hope the game will come back as easy as you say mate :thumbup: 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

I went into the club today and 'suspended' my membership for 9 months. They'll keep the DD going at £1 a month so I stay a member, then I'll decide if to renew next Feb or not.

Feels quite liberating that I've actually made the break and quite looking forward to a bit of non golf time and being able to hang out with the kids at weekends. Think I'm a bit 'golfed out' after playing on average twice a week for the last 10 years :o I've also joined a gym in order to try and get fit, increase my energy and put a bit of muscle on hopefully!

Even if I give it a rest for 5 years until the kids are teenagers and don't want to know me anymore then I'll still only be 50 and hopefully have a few years left to play. Just hope the game will come back as easy as you say mate :thumbup: 

Well,after flogging your "re-gripping your ball retriever" joke to death, I owe you a true story.

Our fourball ready to tee off when a munkjack deer comes out of the rough and starts ambling across

the fairway. I've only seen one of these a couple times in many years and normally they're hurtling across the

course so quickly you only get a glimpse before they make the undergrowth.

As it got past the white posts it lay down in the wooded area and I said to no-one in particular

perhaps it's injured , no,said one of the lads it's just out of bounds!

Well it made me laugh.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Enjoy your time off mate, but be rest assured you'll be back one day. Being a golfer is a gift, people who never discover the magic are missing out. When it's time for another crack, come back.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 15/05/2018 at 22:11, Izzy Muzzett said:

Izzy I'm only relatively young but I've been playing for about 12 years competitively and even though it frustrates the living daylights out of you at times, I try to remember there's nothing that beats 4&1/2 hours with your pals, playing badly or not. The old saying goes something like "a bad day at golf beats a good day at work", right?

I hope your game improves and you come back to a level you are happy with! I used to play off 4, then went to uni and have lost it a bit, now off 5 and will probably be 6 very soon. It bothers me because I know I can be better than that, particularly better than 6. But work, life and other things have got in the way. Like you, I've found the gym and I enjoy trying to keep myself in shape. It's actually helped my golf, I feel stronger through impact, more balanced in my swing and able to get out of rough easier. So I hope that stage comes for you. 

Sometimes you have to accept it and come back stronger. If I'm honest, going up to 6 will be good for me, because it's going to p*** me off and it's going to make me practice and work on my game. 

Like Ric says, take some time out, reset the mind and just come back with a clear head. You'll be surprised what it does for you, the golf bug will bite and you'll enjoy it again. All the best mate. 

Edited by HowardsBulletHeader
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, HowardsBulletHeader said:

Izzy I'm only relatively young but I've been playing for about 12 years competitively and even though it frustrates the living daylights out of you at times, I try to remember there's nothing that beats 4&1/2 hours with your pals, playing badly or not. The old saying goes something like "a bad day at golf beats a good day at work", right?

I hope your game improves and you come back to a level you are happy with! I used to play off 4, then went to uni and have lost it a bit, now off 5 and will probably be 6 very soon. It bothers me because I know I can be better than that, particularly better than 6. But work, life and other things have got in the way. Like you, I've found the gym and I enjoy trying to keep myself in shape. It's actually helped my golf, I feel stronger through impact, more balanced in my swing and able to get out of rough easier. So I hope that stage comes for you. 

Sometimes you have to accept it and come back stronger. If I'm honest, going up to 6 will be good for me, because it's going to p*** me off and it's going to make me practice and work on my game. 

Like Ric says, take some time out, reset the mind and just come back with a clear head. You'll be surprised what it does for you, the golf bug will bite and you'll enjoy it again. All the best mate. 

Thanks mate, really appreciate it.

It's been five weeks now since I picked a club up and it's mixed emotions so far really. On the plus side, I'm feeling fitter and stronger since joining the gym and that can only be a good thing for if/when I return to golf. I never really had the strength to get it out of the rough or hit it that long so I hope that will be one benefit.

On the down side, I'm still on the club Facebook group and reading about all the comps and club matches being played at the moment is tough - I feel like I'm really missing out. I never thought I'd want the club to lose but now I'm not playing I know how footballers who don't get picked for the first team must feel :D

The other good thing is that I'm spending loads more time with the kids at weekends and quite enjoy taxi-ing them around to varies clubs and parties. I'm sure I'll be golfing again at some point but it feels right to give it a rest for a bit at the moment.

P.S. I didn't realise you were so young :D 

1 hour ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Thanks mate, really appreciate it.

It's been five weeks now since I picked a club up and it's mixed emotions so far really. On the plus side, I'm feeling fitter and stronger since joining the gym and that can only be a good thing for if/when I return to golf. I never really had the strength to get it out of the rough or hit it that long so I hope that will be one benefit.

On the down side, I'm still on the club Facebook group and reading about all the comps and club matches being played at the moment is tough - I feel like I'm really missing out. I never thought I'd want the club to lose but now I'm not playing I know how footballers who don't get picked for the first team must feel :D

The other good thing is that I'm spending loads more time with the kids at weekends and quite enjoy taxi-ing them around to varies clubs and parties. I'm sure I'll be golfing again at some point but it feels right to give it a rest for a bit at the moment.

P.S. I didn't realise you were so young :D 

Absolutely, the gym is good for golf. If nothing else just to avoid general tiredness from the walk round! I definitely notice when I haven't been in the gym for a few weeks. 

I'd say it's good that you feel you're missing out, it'll bring you back to golf. Let's face it we are in June, the season is relatively young, if you pick up a club end of July start of August you've still got plenty of comps to enter and enjoy. 

For now as you say, enjoy the time with the kids, good to hear you've replaced golf with something you enjoy. I hope it is a temporary replacement. 

Age is a difficult one to gauge over an internet forum. I'm 24, so hoping for many more years of golf with my pals. 

• Like 1

No idea why but have a hunch for Alex Noren, Branden Grace and Leishman at decent odds. 

They keep going on about this course being links like and those three like a windy track. 

As you say, hard to see past DJ after last week but I fancy yet another first time major winner. Perhaps Jon Rahm? Or maybe is it finally Rickie's time?

• Like 1