Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ric Flair

Golf

1 hour ago, HowardsBulletHeader said:

How's everyone's games coming along?

Anyone picking the game up again after a break/for the first time? Still just looking to get cut to a particular number again? 

For me I've been having lessons since last July, once a month, it got so bad during last year's club champs I couldn't take any more. I wasn't anywhere close to my best game and just getting more frustrated with it. 

Worked hard during the winter months (compared to my usual self anyway) and starting slowly to see the benefits. I played in the first medal comp and shot +6, 1 over my handicap with a bad finish (bogey, par, double) and the weekend just gone was an am-am and I shot level par (typical non-qualifier when my good stuff shows up). 

Hoping for a good season, get back down to 4 for sure, 3 would be really nice. 

Anyone else got any hopes for the season?

Just playing casually this year, haven't the time, finances and body to play competitive this year. Had back problems on and off since my early twenties but last June I had the worst I've ever had and couldn't hit a ball for the whole of the summer. The club were absolute arseholes as well when I wanted to step away from being a member for a year or two whilst I try and recover. Might try fusion back surgery, not so sure I could pull off the hundreds of affairs as well!

2 hours ago, HowardsBulletHeader said:

How's everyone's games coming along?

Anyone picking the game up again after a break/for the first time? Still just looking to get cut to a particular number again? 

For me I've been having lessons since last July, once a month, it got so bad during last year's club champs I couldn't take any more. I wasn't anywhere close to my best game and just getting more frustrated with it. 

Worked hard during the winter months (compared to my usual self anyway) and starting slowly to see the benefits. I played in the first medal comp and shot +6, 1 over my handicap with a bad finish (bogey, par, double) and the weekend just gone was an am-am and I shot level par (typical non-qualifier when my good stuff shows up). 

Hoping for a good season, get back down to 4 for sure, 3 would be really nice. 

Anyone else got any hopes for the season?

I've only played 3 times since last May :(

Gave up my membership to focus on coaching my boys football team instead but really miss my golf and the craic with the lads.

The rest is probably doing me good as I was getting too frustrated with my game and not enjoying it towards the end. Got down to 6 h'cap a few years back and now 8.3 but would most likely play to about 15 if I played tomorrow I guess.

Got a couple of social games coming up through work on courses I haven't played before so looking forward to that.

I don't miss playing in the cold and wet but this time of year is golf weather and I know I'll miss it during the summer. Plan to pick it up again in a few years and re-join my club once my boy is a teenager and doesn't want to know me :D

I started to play at the back end of last summer and have picked it up more now that the weather is warming up. Joined my local club and enjoying getting out and just playing a few holes or the par 3 as I don't have masses of free time what with work and a young family at home.

Set myself two targets for this year:

1 - Shoot a round in 95 or under. (I've played 5 full rounds in my life so seems like an achievable target)

2 - Hit a birdie - already managed that on my second round of the year.

I should have met the first target or come close already but lost my head on a round last week and had to walk away from a hole after losing three balls into water. Poor club selection meant that my second shot on a par 5 went further than expected and landed plumb in the hazard. Decided to have another go with an lower iron as realised I would be able to clear it...... under hit it and same result. Sulked my way down to confirm they were in the water and took a drop shot and then was so pissed off with myself that I topped the ball, it hit the bank and fell in again. Had been about +8 through the first 8 holes and that smashed my confidence and didn't play well on the back nine.

My biggest problem is that I just cannot seem to hit two consecutive good shots. If I do a straight 250 yard drive, I'll follow up with a duff of an Iron shot that misses the green. Summed up perfectly on my last round when I scuffed a drive along the ground and it nestled behind a tree, had to just chip out sideways to the fairway and then hit a 200 yard iron shot to within 3 feet of the hole. It's such a ridiculous sport how you can go from a shot that the pros would be happy with to a shot that makes you think you should hand your membership card back and leave the club immediately.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, syston_fox said:

I started to play at the back end of last summer and have picked it up more now that the weather is warming up. Joined my local club and enjoying getting out and just playing a few holes or the par 3 as I don't have masses of free time what with work and a young family at home.

Set myself two targets for this year:

1 - Shoot a round in 95 or under. (I've played 5 full rounds in my life so seems like an achievable target)

2 - Hit a birdie - already managed that on my second round of the year.

I should have met the first target or come close already but lost my head on a round last week and had to walk away from a hole after losing three balls into water. Poor club selection meant that my second shot on a par 5 went further than expected and landed plumb in the hazard. Decided to have another go with an lower iron as realised I would be able to clear it...... under hit it and same result. Sulked my way down to confirm they were in the water and took a drop shot and then was so pissed off with myself that I topped the ball, it hit the bank and fell in again. Had been about +8 through the first 8 holes and that smashed my confidence and didn't play well on the back nine.

My biggest problem is that I just cannot seem to hit two consecutive good shots. If I do a straight 250 yard drive, I'll follow up with a duff of an Iron shot that misses the green. Summed up perfectly on my last round when I scuffed a drive along the ground and it nestled behind a tree, had to just chip out sideways to the fairway and then hit a 200 yard iron shot to within 3 feet of the hole. It's such a ridiculous sport how you can go from a shot that the pros would be happy with to a shot that makes you think you should hand your membership card back and leave the club immediately.  

The beautiful game summed up perfectly by this post :D

I think we all strive for consistency, whatever level we're playing at. I remember watching GMac shoot a 67 last year and in his interview afterwards he said he only 'flushed' one shot out the middle that he was really happy with. 

Consistency breeds confidence I reckon and consistency is only gained by repetition of doing the right things. I know a lot of club golfers who are on the range day in day out but never improve because they're practicing the wrong fundamental technique.

My advice would be to see your local Pro and invest in some lessons. The fact you can hit an iron 200 yards to within 3 feet and a drive 250 down the middle suggests you're doing something right so there's definitely something to build on.

But golf is a mental game and mastering our emotions is the key. It's cliche but one shot at a time, stay present, focus on the process etc. and the result will take care of itself. There's loads of good books out there too on the mental side of the game and my favorite is this:

Zen Golf: Mastering the Mental Game

Good luck for the rest of the season!

Edited by Izzy

17 minutes ago, Izzy said:

The beautiful game summed up perfectly by this post :D

I think we all strive for consistency, whatever level we're playing at. I remember watching GMac shoot a 67 last year and in his interview afterwards he said he only 'flushed' one shot out the middle that he was really happy with. 

Consistency breeds confidence I reckon and consistency is only gained by repetition of doing the right things. I know a lot of club golfers who are on the range day in day out but never improve because they're practicing the wrong fundamental technique.

My advice would be to see your local Pro and invest in some lessons. The fact you can hit an iron 200 yards to within 3 feet and a drive 250 down the middle suggests you're doing something right so there's definitely something to build on.

But golf is a mental game and mastering our emotions is the key. It's cliche but one shot at a time, stay present, focus on the process etc. and the result will take care of itself. There's loads of good books out there too on the mental side of the game and my favorite is this:

Zen Golf: Mastering the Mental Game

Good luck for the rest of the season!

Cheers for the advice. I had one lesson with the pro (a father's Day gift) and he was generally positive about my swing and just said the backswing needed some work. Grip and follow through spot on but was too rigid on the back swing and locking my left knee up. Tried to take what he said on board but hard to iron out errors that have become natural. 

Managed to sneak 7 holes in on the way home and played some of my best golf ever. My first birdie on a par 4 followed up with what would have been a par on a par 3 had I bothered taking the flag out. A putt hit the flag and pushed it back out when at that pace it would have dropped if it wasn't in. Valuable lesson there!!! 

I need to spend a lot of time on my short game. Little chips from around the edge of the green is a major weak spot and often I'm leaving myself with 10-15 foot putts. Just never seem to commit to them and leave way short. Problem is that it's more fun to be out on the course rather than the practice green!! 

2 minutes ago, syston_fox said:

Cheers for the advice. I had one lesson with the pro (a father's Day gift) and he was generally positive about my swing and just said the backswing needed some work. Grip and follow through spot on but was too rigid on the back swing and locking my left knee up. Tried to take what he said on board but hard to iron out errors that have become natural. 

Managed to sneak 7 holes in on the way home and played some of my best golf ever. My first birdie on a par 4 followed up with what would have been a par on a par 3 had I bothered taking the flag out. A putt hit the flag and pushed it back out when at that pace it would have dropped if it wasn't in. Valuable lesson there!!! 

I need to spend a lot of time on my short game. Little chips from around the edge of the green is a major weak spot and often I'm leaving myself with 10-15 foot putts. Just never seem to commit to them and leave way short. Problem is that it's more fun to be out on the course rather than the practice green!! 

This is the difference that makes the difference really.

Even single figure handicap golfers only hit about 50% of greens in regulation, so the ability to get up and down more often than not is key. Look at Molinari at the Masters, at one stage he was 20/20 for scrambling and he was draining those 10-15 footers for fun.

I was never a big hitter and my approach play/irons were always my weakness. I probably only hit 30% of greens in reg so had to work really hard on my chipping and putting. I kept stats on my short game and it was purely my scrambling and mental approach that got me down to 6 h'cap.

Drive for show, putt for dough as they say!

Another great book for ya :thumbup:

Image result for putting out of your mind

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Izzy said:

This is the difference that makes the difference really.

Even single figure handicap golfers only hit about 50% of greens in regulation, so the ability to get up and down more often than not is key. Look at Molinari at the Masters, at one stage he was 20/20 for scrambling and he was draining those 10-15 footers for fun.

I was never a big hitter and my approach play/irons were always my weakness. I probably only hit 30% of greens in reg so had to work really hard on my chipping and putting. I kept stats on my short game and it was purely my scrambling and mental approach that got me down to 6 h'cap.

Drive for show, putt for dough as they say!

Another great book for ya :thumbup:

Image result for putting out of your mind

Highly recommend this book as well

• Like 1

On 17/04/2019 at 20:00, syston_fox said:

Izzy has pretty much said what I would've about the other stuff so I'll pick up about the lessons. 

My post above was about me starting lessons again and it's slowly fixing my game. If I'm honest the reason I didn't take lessons on any further when I was younger was because just through playing and practice over time I'd managed to work out how to play with my flawed swing.

The real issue was I didn't really realise how flawed my swing was until the amount I was able to play became less. My swing was so reliant on timing, it was making the game impossible. As an example, when I had my old irons (which were my first ever set that I just played with, regular shafts etc.), we did the fitting and hit my old irons first, I had a 42 yard spread between my furthest left shot and my furthest right shot - which you might say isn't horrendous, but when I tell you I was hitting 8 iron you'll soon see why I was struggling!! 

A very lengthy way of saying, make sure to check in with your pro, I go once a month. You'd get away with once every two months easily, even every 3 if you are able to video yourself and send it to the pro for feedback. 

8 hours ago, HowardsBulletHeader said:

Izzy has pretty much said what I would've about the other stuff so I'll pick up about the lessons. 

My post above was about me starting lessons again and it's slowly fixing my game. If I'm honest the reason I didn't take lessons on any further when I was younger was because just through playing and practice over time I'd managed to work out how to play with my flawed swing.

The real issue was I didn't really realise how flawed my swing was until the amount I was able to play became less. My swing was so reliant on timing, it was making the game impossible. As an example, when I had my old irons (which were my first ever set that I just played with, regular shafts etc.), we did the fitting and hit my old irons first, I had a 42 yard spread between my furthest left shot and my furthest right shot - which you might say isn't horrendous, but when I tell you I was hitting 8 iron you'll soon see why I was struggling!! 

A very lengthy way of saying, make sure to check in with your pro, I go once a month. You'd get away with once every two months easily, even every 3 if you are able to video yourself and send it to the pro for feedback. 

I had a half a dozen lessons with my pro a few years back because I knew my swing wasn’t right.

He started off by filming me on his iPad and then we sat down and analysed it. I’ve never been so embarrassed - my swing was shocking. 

I probably learnt more in that one session than any other and being able to see my flaws clear as day was hugely helpful. He also had this ‘split screen’ software where he compared my swing with Paul Casey’s lol

Would definitely recommend what you’ve said above about custom fitting too. My lofts and lies were way out so getting my irons adjusted also helped massively.

On 19/04/2019 at 08:08, Izzy said:

I had a half a dozen lessons with my pro a few years back because I knew my swing wasn’t right.

He started off by filming me on his iPad and then we sat down and analysed it. I’ve never been so embarrassed - my swing was shocking. 

I probably learnt more in that one session than any other and being able to see my flaws clear as day was hugely helpful. He also had this ‘split screen’ software where he compared my swing with Paul Casey’s lol

Would definitely recommend what you’ve said above about custom fitting too. My lofts and lies were way out so getting my irons adjusted also helped massively.

Before I went to be custom fit I had a lesson and he put this gizmo on my club and had me hit a few shots. On his iPad was a quadratic graph and it showed stability of the club throughout the swing, it was supposed to stay between -1 and 1 on the vertical axis (horizontal was the swing, so left was in the backswing and right in the downswing), mine was literally like zig zag all the way through and he said there's no way you can hit that consistently as your clubs are too flexible for your swing speed. I can't remember how high and low it got in terms of the numbers but you looked at it and you just thought, that can't be good! 

Sure enough it wasn't! 

I'd been saying for the last 2-3 weeks my game was on its way back, no competition today just a knock between friends and I was feeling good, feeling confident for the day ahead. I'd started to putt better (always one of my weaker areas), stopped hitting it off the charts left and making double bogeys, I could feel a great score coming. 

What was that great score you ask? A 9, down the 1st. NINE! Lovely. 

At least it was sunny! 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, HowardsBulletHeader said:

I'd been saying for the last 2-3 weeks my game was on its way back, no competition today just a knock between friends and I was feeling good, feeling confident for the day ahead. I'd started to putt better (always one of my weaker areas), stopped hitting it off the charts left and making double bogeys, I could feel a great score coming. 

What was that great score you ask? A 9, down the 1st. NINE! Lovely. 

At least it was sunny! 

I know the feeling. Played the best golf I'd ever played last week and so dashed over to the course once the kids were in bed last night for a quick blast around the nine hole par 3 course. First two holes, tee shots onto the green or close to it - relatively happy! Onto the third which is only a very short 85 yarder or so with a stream running across the front of the green. Generally it's a hole where I've hit some of my better shots historically and so confidence was high...... 

No one around so had plenty of time to take a few shots and practice some iron play.....  

1st tee shot - pulled left, hit a tree and dropped into the water.

2nd attempt - pulled further left, hit a different tree and dropped into the water. 

3rd attempt - topped it and it scuttled along the ground...... and into the water

4th attempt - pulled left, went over the tree and into a bunker 

5th attempt - caught it thick and no real height - went like a bullet straight over the green.

Confidence zapped in five minutes of madness and never recovered for the rest of the round. Stupid game!! That par three course costs me a fortune in balls! 

15 minutes ago, syston_fox said:

I know the feeling. Played the best golf I'd ever played last week and so dashed over to the course once the kids were in bed last night for a quick blast around the nine hole par 3 course. First two holes, tee shots onto the green or close to it - relatively happy! Onto the third which is only a very short 85 yarder or so with a stream running across the front of the green. Generally it's a hole where I've hit some of my better shots historically and so confidence was high...... 

No one around so had plenty of time to take a few shots and practice some iron play.....  

2nd attempt - pulled further left, hit a different tree and dropped into the water. 

3rd attempt - topped it and it scuttled along the ground...... and into the water

5th attempt - caught it thick and no real height - went like a bullet straight over the green.

Confidence zapped in five minutes of madness and never recovered for the rest of the round. Stupid game!! That par three course costs me a fortune in balls! 

Sounds like you might be 'coming over the top' mate - an old favorite of mine :D

Hank Haney is your man :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/04/2019 at 13:31, syston_fox said:

Thing is mate, even though that happened you'll still come back because you know you're better than that and you won't let it beat you. Golf is one of those games that no matter what level, whenever you play badly, you know you're better than that- so you come back for another crack. No matter how much it gets you down, just keep going it's such a reward when you do play well and beat your handicap. 

There were two comps on this weekend, first one was Saturday and I was going alright nothing special, finished poorly and ended with 32 points. Today, same again, not really pulling any trees up, was two behind my handicap through 14 holes and I'd got a bit scruffy since the turn. 

All of a sudden holed out from 92 yards on 15, eagle. Par on 16. Birdies on 17 & 18 and all of a sudden an under handicap finish. 2, 4, 4, 2 and some money in the two sweep, cheers. Where it came from I have no idea! 

Basically keep going, it'll come. 

• Like 2

I've gotta say--for nearly the entirety of my adult life, I've not liked golf, at all. Yet, I've just started after thinking all year about playing, so I think I'm officially getting old! lol

I was never much of a player--I went to a driving range a few times as a kid, and I played a little in the summers when I caddied as a teenager for four years. The last time I stepped out on a golf course was for a casual nine holes about 10-12 years ago.

I'm looking for something to learn while getting out and about. I realized that within 5 miles of where I now life, we have two driving ranges + a State park (as far as NY State courses go, it's not exactly Bethpage, but it has an 18-hole course that's 6800 from the tips/6300/5600 and an 18-hole par 3 course). I can get out an play at affordable prices.

I'm far away from getting out on the course, but I picked up a decent starter set for $140 that feels pretty good. (Driver/3 wood/hybrid 5 wood, 6-9 irons, pitching wedge and putter). If I stick it out, I'll get a 5-iron when I can hit the rest of my low irons, and of course a sand wedge.

I hit the range for the first time on Saturday and just brought my PW and 7-iron. I was pleasantly surprised with how not-terribly I hit my PW! (If I couldn't hit 'em in the air with that, I might have quit before I even got started). My 7-iron... not so much. A few shanks, a few duffs, and definitely a lot of slices (I remember that being a problem as a youngster, too). I haven't hit with my woods yet.

But that bucket of 125 balls has got me really looking forward to getting back to the range on Saturday!

I'll be able to post about more things as I play more, but I have a silly question about the driving range:

I swing lefty. Of course, I'm not going to park myself right in front of a righty if I have open stalls elsewhere. But the range I went to has heavy mats just like what I included here, and the standing surfaces on them are really worn down (much more beat up than the picture). I couldn't find any stalls set up for lefties, so I rotated the mat 180 degrees to get the hitting surface and ball well on the left side (a huge pain in the ass, btw).

Next time, I'm going to ask the guy at the desk if they have any stalls for lefties. :ph34r: But for what I did last Saturday, is that cool? Next time, should I just hit my shots off the other part of the mat?

drivingrange.jpg

Edited by Jordan
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Jordan said:

I'll be able to post about more things as I play more, but I have a silly question about the driving range:

I swing lefty. Of course, I'm not going to park myself right in front of a righty if I have open stalls elsewhere. But the range I went to has heavy mats just like what I included here, and the standing surfaces on them are really worn down (much more beat up than the picture). I couldn't find any stalls set up for lefties, so I rotated the mat 180 degrees to get the hitting surface and ball well on the left side (a huge pain in the ass, btw).

Next time, I'm going to ask the guy at the desk if they have any stalls for lefties. :ph34r: But for what I did last Saturday, is that cool? Next time, should I just hit my shots off the other part of the mat?

drivingrange.jpg

I'd have done exactly the same if I was you mate. Some of the mats over here have holes for the rubber tees on both sides so you can lift the mat and move the tee to the opposite side. You shouldn't really be expected to rotate the whole mat yourself so I'd have a word with the guy at the desk and ask him what he suggests.

Best of luck btw, and enjoy playing the greatest game in the world :thumbup:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jordan said:

I've gotta say--for nearly the entirety of my adult life, I've not liked golf, at all. Yet, I've just started after thinking all year about playing, so I think I'm officially getting old! lol

I was never much of a player--I went to a driving range a few times as a kid, and I played a little in the summers when I caddied as a teenager for four years. The last time I stepped out on a golf course was for a casual nine holes about 10-12 years ago.

I'm looking for something to learn while getting out and about. I realized that within 5 miles of where I now life, we have two driving ranges + a State park (as far as NY State courses go, it's not exactly Bethpage, but it has an 18-hole course that's 6800 from the tips/6300/5600 and an 18-hole par 3 course). I can get out an play at affordable prices.

I'm far away from getting out on the course, but I picked up a decent starter set for $140 that feels pretty good. (Driver/3 wood/hybrid 5 wood, 6-9 irons, pitching wedge and putter). If I stick it out, I'll get a 5-iron when I can hit the rest of my low irons, and of course a sand wedge.

I hit the range for the first time on Saturday and just brought my PW and 7-iron. I was pleasantly surprised with how not-terribly I hit my PW! (If I couldn't hit 'em in the air with that, I might have quit before I even got started). My 7-iron... not so much. A few shanks, a few duffs, and definitely a lot of slices (I remember that being a problem as a youngster, too). I haven't hit with my woods yet.

But that bucket of 125 balls has got me really looking forward to getting back to the range on Saturday!

drivingrange.jpg

I'd ask the guy and if they don't have a lefty one, rather than waste your time rotating the mat, I'd just hit it off the other side. 

If they can't be arsed to cater for all, why should you go to the effort to rotate your mat? Plus you'll get all the good part of the mat where nobody has been hitting from! The only downside perhaps is if they are really badly worn you may end up with your feet feeling like they are in a hole. 

Enjoy the game, it's class, even better with your pals. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HowardsBulletHeader said:

USPGA picks then folks? 

Personally I like Day, Koepka, McIlroy and Rose from the big guns. 

Outsiders: Wallace, Bjerregaard and Jimmy Walker. Got a feeling Walker is going to stir again at some point. 

Fancy DJ for this.

A Big Bombers course and he’s also got the power to get it out of the rough.

If his short game is on he’ll be hard to beat I reckon.

12 hours ago, Izzy said:

Fancy DJ for this.

A Big Bombers course and he’s also got the power to get it out of the rough.

If his short game is on he’ll be hard to beat I reckon.

I feel the same, just the recent crumbling when he's been in contention on the tour has put me off a bit. 

There's always that one "plotter" that gets it round and finishes top 5/10 though, someone like a Kuchar, a Furyk, a Zach Johnson etc. 

On 16/05/2019 at 13:18, Jordan said:

I like how Bethpage Black is being used for another major, and I love that it’ll be hosting the Ryder Cup in a few years.

We’re all rooting for John Daly, right? :P

You New Yorkers are a rowdy bunch ain't ya?

Bloody hell, it's like being at a football match there lol