Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ric Flair

Golf

Anyone who thinks that Tiger Woods isn't good for golf should watch that 18th hole at the Tour Championship and the never ending sea of people that were following him. I've never seen a scene like it. 

He is golf and it's only true X factor. He's a phenomenon, to have come back from where he was, to win the finale against the 29 best players that season is just unbelievable. I love him, there's just something that as a golf fan I cannot dislike him even despite all his misdemeanours. 

The word legend is banded about far too often, but he definitely is and the legend of Tiger Woods lives on. Bring on the Ryder Cup and that will be even more of a spectacle with him in it. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, HowardsBulletHeader said:

Anyone who thinks that Tiger Woods isn't good for golf should watch that 18th hole at the Tour Championship and the never ending sea of people that were following him. I've never seen a scene like it. 

He is golf and it's only true X factor. He's a phenomenon, to have come back from where he was, to win the finale against the 29 best players that season is just unbelievable. I love him, there's just something that as a golf fan I cannot dislike him even despite all his misdemeanours. 

The word legend is banded about far too often, but he definitely is and the legend of Tiger Woods lives on. Bring on the Ryder Cup and that will be even more of a spectacle with him in it. 

I'm still torn when it comes to Tiger.

As a player, sportsman, competitor, winner etc. he's a phenomenon as you rightly say. Mentally he's unique and incredibly tough and I imagine and that was probably drummed into him relentlessly by his Marine father. 

As a person I struggle to connect with him really. The 'new' Tiger is obviously more at ease with life, he takes the piss out of himself now and smiles more than before.

The previous version I found pretty awkward, aloof and arrogant. I know he was under pressure but his behavior left a lot to be desired. I'll never forget the staged 'apology' speech in front of his family and friends - it was total cringe TV. He admitted that the rules of life didn't apply to him and he though he could get away with anything he wanted. He'd lived in a bubble all his life and didn't know what 'real life' was and I actually felt a bit sorry for him.

But fair play to him for turning it all around. He seems much more comfortable in his own skin now he's showing his human side.

A fascinating character, and a total one off. He's transformed the game of golf and we should all be grateful to him for raising the bar in so many areas.

Like many great sportsman, Tiger is a flawed genius. I thought he was finished as a top golfer,  but I'm glad he's proven a lot of people wrong.  The scenes yesterday were more like watching Darts then Golf.  Nobody can get the fans more involved then Tiger. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Anybody watching Phil v Tiger 'The match' on Sky Sports now?

I'm finding it pretty painful viewing. Phil trying too hard to make small talk and Tiger with that look of "shut up you bellend I still think you're a tosser" on his face.

All smiles on the first tee then Tiger misses a tiddler on the 2nd for par and doesn't see the funny side anymore lol

$9m for the winner is just obscene but not their fault if the sponsors and PPV are willing to pay it I suppose...

58 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Anybody watching Phil v Tiger 'The match' on Sky Sports now?

I'm finding it pretty painful viewing. Phil trying too hard to make small talk and Tiger with that look of "shut up you bellend I still think you're a tosser" on his face.

All smiles on the first tee then Tiger misses a tiddler on the 2nd for par and doesn't see the funny side anymore lol

$9m for the winner is just obscene but not their fault if the sponsors and PPV are willing to pay it I suppose...

disappointed the side bets in the bit i watched were just about the actual holes of golf. 

thought there’d be more fun things. wanted to see tiger take a par 5 with just a putter or one of them to play a par 3 blind folded or something. 

6 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

disappointed the side bets in the bit i watched were just about the actual holes of golf. 

thought there’d be more fun things. wanted to see tiger take a par 5 with just a putter or one of them to play a par 3 blind folded or something. 

Yeah its pretty boring tbf. I'd be a bit pissed off paying $20 to watch it if I was a yank

17 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Yeah its pretty boring tbf. I'd be a bit pissed off paying $20 to watch it if I was a yank

probably the type of thing americans actually love tbf because they’re all pretty weird. 

some decent money going to charity though i guess if all the side bets end up where they say they will. 

just seems a bit weird and a bit boring but each to their own. 

This is terrible viewing, it isn't entertaining at all. Particularly with it just being the two of them, the viewing is so stop start. 

As has been said the small talk between the two is painful, I get the reasoning but it is just stupid. 

I can't believe one of them will get $9m for this, it is painful and insulting for the game. Particularly when season long FedEx performance is paid with $10m. 

I didn't like the idea when it came out, I haven't enjoyed watching it and I hope it never happens again between two greats of the game. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Time to bump this thread for the half a dozen of us on here who give a shit about the great game :D

An interesting year ahead with the rule changes and the majors order/calendar being re-shuffled.

Really looking forward to the Open in July at Royal Portrush, that could be epic.

How will Tiger fare? Will Rory win anther major? Will Sergio ever grow up? (the petulant spoilt brat)

2 hours ago, Izzy said:

Time to bump this thread for the half a dozen of us on here who give a shit about the great game :D

An interesting year ahead with the rule changes and the majors order/calendar being re-shuffled.

Really looking forward to the Open in July at Royal Portrush, that could be epic.

How will Tiger fare? Will Rory win anther major? Will Sergio ever grow up? (the petulant spoilt brat)

Rule changes are designed for speed but some have already been shown up to be plain daft. That penalty with Haotong Li the other week was absolutely ridiculous. 

I think (unfortunately as I can't stand the bloke) DeChambeau will win a major this year, he sets up for a US Open to me. Can't stand his science bollocks, nor how fricking slow he is. 

Given how he's started the year, thoroughly expect to see Phil contending at Augusta and interesting that he won last week at this year's US Open venue.

I don't see Rory winning a major this year, Spiethy seems to be on the comeback trail he just hasn't strung 4 rounds together yet. He contended for a lot of last week before falling away. 

Golf in terms of depth of talent is as strong as it's ever been and continues to get stronger. There's so many players that have got the game to win majors these days, it's an exciting time for the sport, if they can iron out the rules niggles and speed the game up - in my opinion they are laughing. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HowardsBulletHeader said:

Rule changes are designed for speed but some have already been shown up to be plain daft. That penalty with Haotong Li the other week was absolutely ridiculous. 

I think (unfortunately as I can't stand the bloke) DeChambeau will win a major this year, he sets up for a US Open to me. Can't stand his science bollocks, nor how fricking slow he is. 

Given how he's started the year, thoroughly expect to see Phil contending at Augusta and interesting that he won last week at this year's US Open venue.

I don't see Rory winning a major this year, Spiethy seems to be on the comeback trail he just hasn't strung 4 rounds together yet. He contended for a lot of last week before falling away. 

Golf in terms of depth of talent is as strong as it's ever been and continues to get stronger. There's so many players that have got the game to win majors these days, it's an exciting time for the sport, if they can iron out the rules niggles and speed the game up - in my opinion they are laughing. 

Good post mate.

I find it almost impossible to predict a winner these days and have pretty much given up betting on golf.

I agree DeChambeau has got as good a chance as anyone though. Sky Sports seem to like him and say he's actually a good bloke, but whenever he's interviewed he always starts by thanking his sponsors and listing them - does my head in.

I'm rapidly going off Rory - I think all the money and fame has gone to his head. He's just a plastic yank now and might as well take up citizenship there. On his day he's still the best for me but his poor putting under pressure might let him down again.

I reckon the young guns will just get better and I wouldn't be surprised to see Rahm, Schauffele, JT, Speith, Cantlay etc. winning a major.

Agree it's an exciting time but I do fear for the European Tour medium/long term. They just can't compete financially and more and more players seem to be fvcking off and playing in the US.

It's all about the Benjamin's baby 

P.S. What about Kucher winning $1.3m in Mexico and only giving his local caddy $5k, the tight arse git lol

On 15/02/2019 at 18:36, Izzy said:

Good post mate.

I find it almost impossible to predict a winner these days and have pretty much given up betting on golf.

I agree DeChambeau has got as good a chance as anyone though. Sky Sports seem to like him and say he's actually a good bloke, but whenever he's interviewed he always starts by thanking his sponsors and listing them - does my head in.

I'm rapidly going off Rory - I think all the money and fame has gone to his head. He's just a plastic yank now and might as well take up citizenship there. On his day he's still the best for me but his poor putting under pressure might let him down again.

I reckon the young guns will just get better and I wouldn't be surprised to see Rahm, Schauffele, JT, Speith, Cantlay etc. winning a major.

Agree it's an exciting time but I do fear for the European Tour medium/long term. They just can't compete financially and more and more players seem to be fvcking off and playing in the US.

It's all about the Benjamin's baby 

P.S. What about Kucher winning $1.3m in Mexico and only giving his local caddy $5k, the tight arse git lol

It is difficult, I only have a bet on the majors and have done ok recently! 

I just can't stand him full stop, doesn't matter what he's doing or saying, he's just a moron. 

He's definitely sided with the PGA Tour which is fair enough, all the money is there. He does still support European events but does the minimum, it's a criticism that can be levelled at a few of them though not just Rory! 

I'm a big fan of Schauffele, I really think  he's got multiple majors in him. Already won twice this season I think, won the Tour Championship a few years back too, he's got a brilliant game. Whilst there's lots of new talent coming through, it's great to also see the resurgence of the old guard at the moment (Mickelson, Woods, Kuchar, Scott etc.), all competing and winning in tour events - it really is a very strong time for the sport. 

I think that part of the problem is with our own tours superstars as we've sort of alluded to. McIlroy, Rose, Stenson, Casey, Poulter, Rahm, Garcia, Lowry have all been predominantly PGA Tour players for years and now you're getting Hatton, RCB, Molinari, Fitzpatrick going there regularly too. In my opinion, you'll only get the US players coming here if the European players start sticking around a bit more. It somehow needs more investment, sponsorship etc to make bigger prize pots which they've tried to do with the Rolex Series. Their problem is the FedEx Cup is so established, they're 10 years behind the curve. I think you've got to up the number of tournaments for ET membership, chuck more money in the prize pots (easier said than done I know) and start trying to keep more of these European stars on the home tour. 

He got it wrong obviously but he's realised and he's rectifying it. Surely they would've negotiated a percentage before? I don't see how this situation has got this far! A ridiculous situation created out of nothing. 

On ‎15‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 11:28, HowardsBulletHeader said:

Hahaha did you see JB Holmes last night? 70 seconds to take a putt, everyone's going wild.

DeChambeau is looking devastating, i'm a big fan but not mainly because I predicted his rise to the top a few years ago when he was an amateur. I don't have any idea what on earth he is doing, even the same length clubs is beyond me but I admire his originality like I do say Bubba Watson. One is a pure maverick though and the other is a mechanical robot but both seem to go against the norm and show how fascinating this game is in terms of being an elite golfer. There's no " perfect " method, but it's what you believe in and works for you.

All I care about is The Big Cat getting another major, if it could be at Augusta as well then the game will explode.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, KingsX said:

You golf heads may want to switch on the Players Championship.

Your lad Pepperell just joined the co-leaders (including McIlory and Furyk), with Tommy Fleetwood one back.

Just the $2.25m for Rory then - not bad for a weeks work!

Reckon he could go on a roll now and win the Masters.

• Like 1